Page 3 of 53 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Faesroll View Post
    you still going at it?
    Still better than the trash disney is pumpin out.

Although this would not be my first pick for a solo (pun intended) story, I do look forward to seeing more stuff set in the Imperial times.

Is this movie confirmed, btw? Are they going to do EpVII - Rogue One - EpVIII - Han Solo - EpIX? And then presumably more afterwards.

I heard a rumor a while ago about a Yoda origins story. Now that's one I'd totally like to see.

As much as I'm enjoying what Disney have been doing with Star Wars, I feel like a Han Solo movie is destined for disappointment. The problem is that Harrison Ford's portrayal of the character was absolutely spot-on, making Han one of the most iconic and likeable fictional characters of the last century. You could probably get away with casting someone else as Luke or Leia, since the performances and the writing of their characters were a lot less memorable, but Han leaves some pretty big shoes to fill. He's probably the single character most defined by the actor portraying him in the franchise. They've managed to wrangle some pretty good voice imitations of Frank Oz and James Earl Jones to bring Yoda and Vader back to life in other Star Wars media, since the puppet and the suit can help carry the rest, and Ewan McGregor worked well as Obi Wan since it was a portrayal of the character in a very different stage of his life. Han in this kind of movie, however, is going to be another actor trying to straight up recreate essentially the exact same character Harrison Ford portrayed forty years ago. It's going to be amazingly hard to pull that off.

This is the kind of movie that does make me wince a little at Disney's handling of the franchise, because it's very transparently about leveraging a popular character first and worrying about the artistic side of Star Wars second. The largest criticism to be made of episode VII was the degree to which it borrowed from the successful elements of the classic trilogy, and this feels like doubling down on that idea to an unnecessary extent. There's really no need for a movie exploring Han Solo's earlier life. There's also no real need for a movie explaining how the Death Star plans were stolen either, but at least they're doing that with an original cast and in a way that seems like it'll be able to exist as its own thing and stand on its own two feet.

A Han Solo movie is always going to be sitting there in Harrison Ford's shadow, and it's going to be incredibly hard for them to escape that. It would be possible if they took it in a creative and interesting new direction, trying some new things and taking some risks, but Disney aren't going to do that with one of their big franchise movies. It'll be safe and by the numbers, competently made and likely enjoyable, but the only way I see it being genuinely great is if the writing and casting is absolutely one-in-a-million spot-on.

It's guaranteed box office revenue, but I can't help but feel like they'd do similarly well financially, along with creating a better movie (and thus more long-term staying power for the franchise), if they just focused on creating more original Star Wars content instead. Or heck, at least do the backstory of a character who can be distanced more from their previous incarnation. Give us the early years of Palpatine or something.

15+ Year Old Account
    The only way I see myself enjoying this is if they show Han as what he should be at that point in his life, a smuggler who is out for himself(and Chewie if Chewie). Not the sorta-hero he becomes during the OG trilogy. Get him into trouble, let him do questionable shit(shoot first) to get himself out of trouble, let him take the highroad occasionally, but when it comes down to it, let him do the dirty jobs. OG trilogy Han isn't a hero, make him likable and charismatic, but don't saddle him with being the golden boy and saving the galaxy... that's for later.

I'm happy with Donald being cast as Lando, he's a big Star Wars fan so I think he'll put a huge effort into it. I too would also love to see Jabba, maybe not have a huge part, more of a cameo while Han is doing business with one of the other Hutt. Hondo is a must, he has a decently established story in Clone Wars and Rebels I think he could be an interesting character to bring into the films.

Quote Originally Posted by Gracin View Post
    The only way I see myself enjoying this is if they show Han as what he should be at that point in his life, a smuggler who is out for himself(and Chewie if Chewie). Not the sorta-hero he becomes during the OG trilogy. Get him into trouble, let him do questionable shit(shoot first) to get himself out of trouble, let him take the highroad occasionally, but when it comes down to it, let him do the dirty jobs. OG trilogy Han isn't a hero, make him likable and charismatic, but don't saddle him with being the golden boy and saving the galaxy... that's for later.

I'm happy with Donald being cast as Lando, he's a big Star Wars fan so I think he'll put a huge effort into it. I too would also love to see Jabba, maybe not have a huge part, more of a cameo while Han is doing business with one of the other Hutt. Hondo is a must, he has a decently established story in Clone Wars and Rebels I think he could be an interesting character to bring into the films.
    If you read the han solo trilogy is explains and paints him perfectly. But with disneys record of destroying good story arcs from the books i have no doubt they will ruin it,.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by t1saif View Post
    Donald Glover cast as young Lando Calrissian in Star Wars Han Solo movie

Fuck yeah, love Donald Glover.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta333 View Post
    If you read the han solo trilogy is explains and paints him perfectly. But with disneys record of destroying good story arcs from the books i have no doubt they will ruin it,.
    What good story arcs from the books have the destroyed?
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    What good story arcs from the books have the destroyed?
    Well rogue one tells the story of dark forces with a combined rogue squadron wraith squadron narative. Now han solo. And they are shitting on thrawn with that horrible cartoon for children.

Well rogue one tells the story of dark forces with a combined rogue squadron wraith squadron narative. Now han solo. And they are shitting on thrawn with that horrible cartoon for children.
    Somebody hates star wars, you don't have to be here go troll another thread. Thrawn is portreyed so well in Rebels, and his new Cannon book is going to be written by Zhan so like you don't even know what you are talking about.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

A show which you have obviously never watched. We get it, your favorite stories were mostly thrown out but that doesn't mean the new stuff is bad. The Thrawn in Rebels may not survive the series and the stories of Heir to the Empire won't happen in canon but he is exactly as I would imagine Thrawn to be.

Horrible cartoon for children indeed.

This single episode had more death of main characters (Granted they were all villains) than all the prequels combined. And Kanaan was blinded by a lightsaber. Not R-Rated deep stuff, but certainly not a cartoon intended for children.

"Revenge is not the Jedi way"

"I'm no Jedi".

And further, in the new season Ezra is using the force for very dark things.
    Last edited by Eldar45; 2016-10-22 at 08:11 AM.

Somebody hates star wars, you don't have to be here go troll another thread. Thrawn is portreyed so well in Rebels, and his new Cannon book is going to be written by Zhan so like you don't even know what you are talking about.
    That zhan has to write a new book is beyond stupid. Heir is perfect. And i dont hate starwars. I hate disney wars. Im a massive fan of pre disney starwars.

Quote Originally Posted by Wondercrab View Post
    As much as I'm enjoying what Disney have been doing with Star Wars...
    I really hope you are joking or just being sarcastic.

These kind of threads are just pure trolling ground. I must take action! It goes like this:

Every time someone makes a thread about post Disney Wars movie/TV show, casual movie consumers start to post things like "It's a good thing that the new Han Solo movie will be made, coz we get to know what happened to him pre-ANH!

Then somebody else (usually somebody more versed and well-read is SW) post a link to wiki for the aforementioned story. In this case, it was written in 1997, so you don't need this stupid money-grabbing Disney to twist and distort the story for you.

And you proceed to bash these kind people who point you to the truth?

Also

You misspelled Mr. Zahn's name.

Thrawn is shown relatively close in the Disney show, but I would not describe it as "so well". He is NOT the same Thrawn as portrayed in the books and he behaves differently in the shows. So yeah, copy-pasterino by Disney not so good.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by fanto View Post
    I really hope you are joking or just being sarcastic.

These kind of threads are just pure trolling ground.
    How was this trolling? He was just expressing his opinion. You may not agree with him, but he was not trying to make you angry and get a reaction. You are getting angry all by yourself.

I must take action! It goes like this:

Every time someone makes a thread about post Disney Wars movie/TV show, casual movie consumers start to post things like "It's a good thing that the new Han Solo movie will be made, coz we get to know what happened to him pre-ANH!

Then somebody else (usually somebody more versed and well-read is SW) post a link to wiki for the aforementioned story. In this case, it was written in 1997, so you don't need this stupid money-grabbing Disney to twist and distort the story for you.

And you proceed to bash these kind people who point you to the truth?
    What truth? This is all fiction anyway! There is no distortion, no one is lying. This is not a f*ing religion. There is no heresy. I have read the Thrawn trilogy. I enjoyed it. I can still enjoy it if I want to read it again. Why all the fuss? George Lucas, the creator of the franchise, sold it to Disney. Now you have the new legal owners of Star Wars who are telling new stories. You may like or hate it, but that's where Star Wars is going. If you don't like Star Wars anymore, it's okay, there are plenty other works of fiction/fantasy to enjoy.

You misspelled Mr. Zahn's name.

Thrawn is shown relatively close in the Disney show, but I would not describe it as "so well". He is NOT the same Thrawn as portrayed in the books and he behaves differently in the shows. So yeah, copy-pasterino by Disney not so good.
    Thrawn is close enough to be recognizable. We haven't seen enough of him yet to tell how different from the books he is. But so far, I would say that the differences in his behaviour are minute. You have to nitpick to see them. Besides, the way a character is played in an adaptation will always be different, if only because we, the readers, are filling the gaps left by the author when we imagine a character. My Thrawn is not exactly your Thrawn, who is not even Timothy Zahn's Thrawn. So as long as the essential characteristics of Thrawn are there, I will be satisfied.
    "Je vous répondrai par la bouche de mes canons!"

A good cast, too bad the movie is so fucking unecessary
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

Quote Originally Posted by Wilian View Post
    A good cast, too bad the movie is so fucking unecessary
    Dont worry disney will do movies about all the cool characters. its the same reason darth maul was brought back to life, cus he was cool.

10+ Year Old Account
    Better to have Darth Maul doing stuff instead of leaving him dead so soon. Second, the only problem *Disney* has is appealing to the nostalgia factor too much. That's in terms of the movies.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Dont worry disney will do movies about all the cool characters. its the same reason darth maul was brought back to life, cus he was cool.
    He was a really cool design that barely got used, why not bring him back through a unique force power.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    Better to have Darth Maul doing stuff instead of leaving him dead so soon. Second, the only problem *Disney* has is appealing to the nostalgia factor too much. That's in terms of the movies.
    They also cant craft a compelling story for shit.

- - - Updated - - -

He was a really cool design that barely got used, why not bring him back through a unique force power.
    Yeh why create someone new and cool. Lets bring back the sith assassin that was cut in half and thrown down an exhaust shoot and make him somehow get onto a shuttle and fly out.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

- - - Updated - - -

Yeh why create someone new and cool. Lets bring back the sith assassin that was cut in half and thrown down an exhaust shoot and make him somehow get onto a shuttle and fly out.
    Says the guy that wants disney to not change anything in the EU and use that material to make movies.

hypocrite much?

10+ Year Old Account

The movie was compelling, it just leaned on nostalgia too much but you for some reason have a stick up your butt about this so reasoning with you is pointless.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi