Thread: Civilization VI

Page 16 of 33 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    I'm struggling to get ameneties but otherwise having an absolute blast.

Scythia for the win, soo OP Conquer across the continent till you bump into Rome who immediately wnts to be best buddies because your empire is so vast

*cough* so far playing my first game, let's see how it goes
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Seems better than 5 so far, but still a lot of frustrating things to me such as barbarians appearing from nowhere and pillaging your trade routes, chasing barbarians around the map as they constantly run away, build times in general especially as the game progresses (escalating cost vs base cost, 50 turns to build a monument in a fresh city ugh), 1 unit per tile and the spam from city states making it a pain in the ass to move your armies.

Apparently the easiest way to get science victory involves mass deforestation for all the production you need at the end, which is a bit weird.

Amenities aren't explained that well either, I couldn't figure out any way in game to tell me why a particular city is at -2 amenities, or where any bonuses were coming from... hovering over the amenities in a city display didn't tell me anything, is there somewhere else I'm meant to look ?

10+ Year Old Account
    I started a game as Japan on Prince and everything was all good, I made an early alliance with Kongo as he proceeded to wrecked most of the city states in the area. I also had a size 10 army and still had Greece declare war on me. The AI is nothing if not ballsy. I won via Domination, I didn't want to go to war. It's just that after the initial war with Greece. I got a war penalty for capturing cities while I was on the victim of a DoW. Nobody liked me and it was war after war for a long time.

Also, recommended that you build an Encampment as soon as you can. Extra housing, extra city attack/garrison and reduced strategic resource cost for units.

The next game I played I was plagued by amenity issues. They spawn barbarians if you don't take care of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Trifle View Post

Apparently the easiest way to get science victory involves mass deforestation for all the production you need at the end, which is a bit weird.
    Not that strange, although I found that my city worked those tiles and it was more beneficial for me in the long run to improve them with lumber mills.

Does anybody know which districts do not count towards the district limit?

Haven't played enough to be sure but currently it feels like the win conditions are far better spread out. When I was winning in Civ 5 I was usually winning in all categories and could choose how to end it(dump all gold on a council vote, wait out culture or science). In Civ 6 it feels much more focused, which makes for far more interesting late game.

Quote Originally Posted by Trifle View Post
    Seems better than 5 so far, but still a lot of frustrating things to me such as barbarians appearing from nowhere and pillaging your trade routes, chasing barbarians around the map as they constantly run away, build times in general especially as the game progresses (escalating cost vs base cost, 50 turns to build a monument in a fresh city ugh), 1 unit per tile and the spam from city states making it a pain in the ass to move your armies.

Amenities aren't explained that well either, I couldn't figure out any way in game to tell me why a particular city is at -2 amenities, or where any bonuses were coming from... hovering over the amenities in a city display didn't tell me anything, is there somewhere else I'm meant to look ?
    If you click city info (the scroll looking thing bottom right), you get a breakdown of all amenities and housing and where they are coming from. The easiest way to fix a negative is to trade your double luxury resources away in return for a few you don't have.
    My DK
    (retired since januari 2017) solely playing PoE now.

Oh yeah I will agree that amenities and even housing aren't really explained or displayed that well. I preferred the empire wide happiness of V.

Also, no more Golden Ages? They really should let you use some Great People for Golden Ages. At the end I had a Great Writer just sitting there because I had nowhere to store a Great Work of Writing(only had four cities and they all had theater districts with full up amphitheaters already).

Quote Originally Posted by FobManX View Post
    Oh yeah I will agree that amenities and even housing aren't really explained or displayed that well. I preferred the empire wide happiness of V.

Also, no more Golden Ages? They really should let you use some Great People for Golden Ages. At the end I had a Great Writer just sitting there because I had nowhere to store a Great Work of Writing(only had four cities and they all had theater districts with full up amphitheaters already).
    Empire Wide Happiness sucked and it is a blessing that it is no longer a thing. It punished wide empires HARD, made no sense, and was way too important. Amenities and Housing takes some getting used to, but the systems are much more interesting, and not as "drop everything and fix this"-ish.

Quote Originally Posted by FobManX View Post

Did you guys not find the detailed city info button?
    Because amenities, housing and religion breakdowns are all there, much more detailed then ever displayed in civ5 - and it even give you half decent tips how to fix your negative values

As for great people and how to spend them, undecided if I like it more or not, while they do "sit" sometimes - these ones add a layer of actual strategy, rather then mindlessly spamming scientists for the win (like in previous civs) - and they outdid themselves on the religion system, it's much more streamlined then ever before & religious combat is fun

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Arrowstormen View Post
    Empire Wide Happiness sucked and it is a blessing that it is no longer a thing. It punished wide empires HARD, made no sense, and was way too important. Amenities and Housing takes some getting used to, but the systems are much more interesting, and not as "drop everything and fix this"-ish.
    100% agreed, civ6 is much more favored towards those that actually like the micro, the new systems take a while to get used to, but once you do, you will notice there is a ton more strategic decision making in them, then there ever was in all the cookie cutter strats in civ4/5.

Mindless wonder spam won't win you the game, you have to pick and choose - not to mention a certain AI which will just insta DoW you if you build a few to many (rip poor Cleo game) - and even domination victory is much more interesting, now that AI actively teams up against you when you get a little bit to much warmonger reputation.

That warmonger reputation is a little broken though - as in, makes 0 sense that I get branded a warmonger and denounced by half the world, for getting declared upon by gilgamesh, and actually winning/taking him over. It should work more like the actual casus beli system in EU4, where only the one that does the DoW gets to deal with the negatives!
    My DK

Quote Originally Posted by falagar112 View Post
    That warmonger reputation is a little broken though - as in, makes 0 sense that I get branded a warmonger and denounced by half the world, for getting declared upon by gilgamesh, and actually winning/taking him over. It should work more like the actual casus beli system in EU4, where only the one that does the DoW gets to deal with the negatives!
    Doesn't it go away if you get the rights to the cities through a peace deal?

Quote Originally Posted by Arrowstormen View Post
    Doesn't it go away if you get the rights to the cities through a peace deal?
    Maybe if I had left him at 1 city?

He got pissed at settling to close to him, my scout nearby saw him running over with his warcarts so I was able to get enough units in before his DoW and ended up taking 2 out of 3 cities of his.

He offered peace, throwing me all his gold, I accepted (lost most of my units, last city would have been hard to take at that time)

No problem so far, all other civs just neutral or happy.

When peace treaty ran out, gilgamesh denounced me instantly, and proceeds to DoW me a few turns after that, forcing me to just.. wipe him of the map...

I win, whole world denounces me, within 5 turns one declares on me, within another 15 turns half the world followed up, needless to say I lost in a turn or 30 after that
    My DK

Quote Originally Posted by falagar112 View Post
    Maybe if I had left him at 1 city?

He got pissed at settling to close to him, my scout nearby saw him running over with his warcarts so I was able to get enough units in before his DoW and ended up taking 2 out of 3 cities of his.

He offered peace, throwing me all his gold, I accepted (lost most of my units, last city would have been hard to take at that time)

No problem so far, all other civs just neutral or happy.

When peace treaty ran out, gilgamesh denounced me instantly, and proceeds to DoW me a few turns after that, forcing me to just.. wipe him of the map...

I win, whole world denounces me, within 5 turns one declares on me, within another 15 turns half the world followed up, needless to say I lost in a turn or 30 after that
    Think you get a lot of warmongering for wiping people entirely off the map yeah.

I was super friendly with Queen Vic and thought we were BFFs then all of a sudden she declared war on me :/ Had to wipe out a good chunk of her army. Dumb bitch

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah early game as Gilgamesh I had China DoW me because I built Stonehenge. I've never been in a more drawn out war in my life. Found out China's hidden agenda was expanding wide. Them and Rome had at least 12 cities each.

Really like the game and find it a solid improvement over civ 5 in everything but the UI. That thing is just a backstep in every way. White text on light blue is just hard on the eyes after a few hours. The tooltips take ages to pop up and are hard to decipher. Things that took one click at civ 5 now take 2. It doesn't even look as good, civ 5 ui had a nice antique look to it: here its just blue. And why is everything a dropdown where i need to wait for the tooltip to pop up (looking at you civ selection screen)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Faldric View Post
    Really like the game and find it a solid improvement over civ 5 in everything but the UI. That thing is just a backstep in every way. White text on light blue is just hard on the eyes after a few hours. The tooltips take ages to pop up and are hard to decipher. Things that took one click at civ 5 now take 2. It doesn't even look as good, civ 5 ui had a nice antique look to it: here its just blue. And why is everything a dropdown where i need to wait for the tooltip to pop up (looking at you civ selection screen)
    Yeah, the UI is my biggest complaint as well. The other being the tech trees. How exactly is it I can research flying and yet my currently most advanced unit is a knight?

Quote Originally Posted by Demoncrash View Post
    Well, this is nice.

Christopher Tin composes incredible music; if you didn't know he also did the main theme for Civ IV (Baba Yetu).

I don't understand those districts just yet, am I supposed to build all districts in one city and keep upgrading them, or should I build several in one city, and the remaining ones in another? Sort of decide which city is more about economy, which is more about military... or all in one?

Deleted
    Annoyed that UI scaling only works on certain resolutions. I'm playing at 3440x1440 and it's not available

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokas View Post
    I don't understand those districts just yet, am I supposed to build all districts in one city and keep upgrading them, or should I build several in one city, and the remaining ones in another? Sort of decide which city is more about economy, which is more about military... or all in one?
    Eventually you'll have a lot of districts in your city. But, early game it's what do you want to specialize in. First city is usually, campus/holy site, encampment and then the last district you can build before you really get anywhere is up to you. Need gold, Harbor or Commercial. Want some culture, theatre. No luxury resources, entertainment.

A holy site district is really good if you can get the +housing beliefs. It'll allow you to get bigger quicker. The biggest limiting factor to cities is housing. Some buildings provide housing (library, university, barracks, armory), but the bulk of it comes from Aqueducts, Sewers and Neighbourhoods. The latter two coming late into the game.