Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dhrizzle View Post
    We'd be lucky to reach type 1 in our lifetimes, type 2 might not be obtainable within the lifetime of the sun and type 3 might as well be fantasy.

Are you kidding? The vast majority of human beings are more than capable of getting on with each other without fighting.
    Yeah, I'm not sure why I mentioned type 2. I was probably only thinking of interstellar space travel.
    Type 1 should be enough for the next 40 years.

You are disregarding exponential technological advances though. One thing leads to 2 things which leads to 4 things. Those 4 things lead to one major breakthrough, which leads to 2 other advances and so on. You can't have one field of research without the other.
    All in all, I'm very optimistic about your races' potential.
    Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings.
    To resist the influence of others, knowledge of oneself is most important.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    that is to say stuff like coronal mass ejections,near earth supernova,earth ending asteroid,etc. by deploying technology to either redirect it,absorb all or some of the effects to lessen or negate the effects of it,or stop it completely or use of a whatever element or molecule or particle is a repellent to the threat at hand or combination thereof? (excluding black holes not sure anything can stop those.) what would be needed for that to happen? will it happen in our lifetimes? (the ability to counter these threats not the threats themselves.)
    i know nasa has a working plan for asteroids but not aware of anything for the others and congress had a hearing on hardening the electronic systems.
    Very very very very doubtful. Considering that we aren't even a Kardashev Type-I civilization yet. I strongly suspect that we destroy ourselves before reaching Type-I status.

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

in movies? Yes In real life? no

10+ Year Old Account

We are on the cusp, but this is likely the most dangerous time in a civilization's development and the deciding moment on whether we move on to a higher type or destroy ourselves in war or just by destroying our environment.

If we make it (I personally doubt we will) then we would eventually become gods.
    Last edited by The One Percent; 2016-10-24 at 05:30 AM.
    You're getting exactly what you deserve.

Quote Originally Posted by Kofisan View Post
    Just remember: When a distinguished but elderly scientist states that something is possible, he is almost certainly right. When he states that something is impossible, he is very probably wrong.
    Just remember when a politician says it isn't going to pay for itself, then the word "impossible" will likely be the appropriate word when it comes to getting anything accomplished.