Page 3 of 51 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Rorcanna View Post
    Because no matter how or why you play, it feels good to progress your character. Duh?
    Yes yes, then go do some progression shit and not wine about not getting gear when you are not doing anything remotely progression based.

everyone can bitch an wine about it as much as you can but it all comes down to one point.
    people work for that gear. You dont want to do that, ea doing dungeons/mythics raids etc (which is fine btw). Then you dont get the loot. simple as that.

It has nothing to do with being casual it has to do with going trough the content. the harder the content the better the gear.

/threat

Quote Originally Posted by ThrashMetalFtw View Post
    The pre-WotLK Mind Flay animation. 2nd biggest reason for rolling a Priest, biggest obviously being Shadowform. Anyone who uses Glyph of Shadow should reroll Hunter, filthy blasphemers.

As distateful as he sounds, he does have a point.
    Before we go on, let's make a checklist: I'm 30+, living on my own for quite some time, I work in games industry, I've played since vanilla.
    All this time I have never been a real raider.
    In the core, I'm a story and quest guy. I'm a solo player.

And I disagree with this change and the arguments are funny really.

"WoW is an RPG and progession is important" Yes, exactly. This is why you need to do more challenging stuff to get better rewards.
    You can't base a game design around "I don't want to do anything but I want rewards".

And hell, with Legion you already get EXCELLENT gear.

I don't know what happened to people with Legion, it's like they have played a completely different game before.

When in the history of wow have solo players had such access to gear?
    When in the history of wow have solo players had access to the cool stuff like legendaries and artifacts without the need to do raids? (Even for prev. legs you had to farm LFR)

If this is such a big need, how come all these players have been playing all the time?

We do NOT need higher gear. Raiding REQUIRES gear and it makes sense as you move up the raiding ladder, you are granted the tools as a reward.
    Just like you are given honor talents or pvp items.

I mean, I'm not gonna say it's a bad game because I'm given the items but I think it's silly how people suddenly started defending this mentality after 12 years of otherwise approach.

As an example, I think LFR was a good move. Why? Because it allows me, a player who cares about the story and the atmosphere, to see the inside of a raid. But that doesn't grant any advantages.

That being said, I'm not familiar with all ilvls but I think it should be like:
    WQ/Heroic gear gets forged up to Mythic dungeon gear
    Heroic has more chance to get forged.

Mythic has a chance to get forged to heroic dungeon.
    Mythic raid gear by itself is already superior and further forges make it even better.

These don't have to big gaps all of it.

But my understanding is that WQ items can scale up to normal raid items now... even more? and that's too much.

Come on, these people do more than cracking squirrels and gathering nuts.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalium View Post
    OP, to flip it... why does raiding reward better gear? If you can defeat the raid then you don't need any better gear. Seems like creating a larger gap from the skilled and less skilled players. If anything the less skilled players need the better gear in order to not be a drag on guilds/groups.

I don't really care one way or another just keeping the conversation going.
    If you have to ask that you clearly don't know shit about WoW, sorry. Why? Because there are multiple raid difficulties that progressively get harder. Because there are bosses in raids that (most of the time) progressively get harder.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    OP, to flip it... why does raiding reward better gear? If you can defeat the raid then you don't need any better gear. Seems like creating a larger gap from the skilled and less skilled players. If anything the less skilled players need the better gear in order to not be a drag on guilds/groups.

I've only spent one or two tiers raiding at a higher end racing for realm first and my input on this is the gear gained from normal raid helps clear heroic raid. Farming heroic raids helps get an edge for the next tier. That is all. If you are in a guild that is dedicated to realm first competition than it serves you well to get as close to BiS as possible to prepare for the next race so to speak. I however am no longer in said competitive raiding guilds because I work and go to school for a combined total of 70 hrs/week and can only log on about once or twice a week. I'm a prot paladin so it's easy for me to form my own mythics and mythics+ (only done mythic 3 so far). and hey im 855 and ready for kara.YOU CAN HAVE A LIFE AND PLAY WOW! who woulda thunkit???

Bosses give gear which you use to kill other bosses.
    Developers can design bosses to require a certain level of gear = farm bosses you've killed in order to progress = repeatable content.
    Once you've completed the tier, you farm to get better gear for the next raid.
    If we started catering to these people with raid quality gear outside of raids then raids would last no time at all (see M+ and emerald nightmare being cleared in 1 reset) and then we run out of content.

The guy saying he would prefer to have 880 gear for his Surumar dailies. Wouldn't we all.
    The reason you don't is so that Surumar dailies don't get completed in 5 minutes and then you've nothing to do until they reset.
    The reason raiders do is because raiders don't want to do Surumar dailies. They can clear their dailies in 5 minutes to free up time for the group content they bother to do, without asking for hand-outs from the devs.
    Last edited by Jyggalag; 2016-10-24 at 02:18 PM.

*yawn*

First rule a true elite player learns...care about your own skill and gear, let your officers worry about everyone, and don't spend cycles on what other people do.

If Blizzard made raiding gear have a "raid power" stat and it was blues instead of purples, but was 25% better for raiding but 15 ilvls less than "world" gear, world you care if "casuals" were getting decked out in purples?

If you think being elitist makes you elite, you a poser, and an insecure one at that.

Super casual these days, I only run lfr once unless I have quests demanding otherwise.

I just like to have decent gear so I don't have to slave away at mobs out in the world and to solo old content.

So next question...why do hardcore players need gear? Don't they crave a challenge that gear mitigates?

I know this is bait, but i'll bite the chum.

1. Casuals needs gear so they could atleast be at the normal raid status. Usually, causal player do normal/half of heroic raids. They don't do mythics, but they're still pretty nice raiders. They want to be at the ilvl as to where they won't get declined throughout every group they see.

2. Mods get over here. We have a thread to close.

Hmm, okay to get gear without any raid mythic, heroic etc. and yet, heroic raid are easily doable nowadays in premade mode. But, seriously, without doing ANY DUNGEON is a damn joke. Wonder why paying subscribtion Oo if it's the case.
    Doing 5 man dungeon is the "basic" and the game will offer more content for "5 man groups of friend old hardcore raiders" for example (karazhan is an example, hope for more later on).

Quote Originally Posted by hammbone View Post
    I don't care what people do with their time I'm just asking why they need gear? The post doesn't ask why do casuals like this guy play WoW 40+ hours a week doing mindless content? I simply want to know why they need 850+ to do "Aw Nuts!" 500 times faster
    yes, let's take 1 of the few gear independant WQs and make it represent the whole WQ system, yay
    try doing any "kill x of this" quest with shitty gear without a group. then do it again in better gear. there, you have your answer.

I think the point of this thread wasnt that people shouldnt have character progression, it is that people are complaining that they are not getting the exact same progression and loot that people participating in the main stay of the MMORPG WoW (dungeons and raids) and expecting to be given the same level loot through world questing. How can anyone expect to progress in the same fashion (high ilvls of gear) as another when one progresses through content while the other forcefully stagnates themselves to one portion of the game? If you choose to not do dungeons/raids/grouping content, then you are choosing a different and slower method of character progression plane and simple.

I don't care what people do with their time I'm just asking why they need gear? The post doesn't ask why do casuals like this guy play WoW 40+ hours a week doing mindless content? I simply want to know why they need 850+ to do "Aw Nuts!" 500 times faster
    The reason why they want gear is so that they can progress their character. Really by your logic once youre done leveling you shouldn't get any gear outside of raids and dungeons. No one would play that game. Even look at mmos now. Most people just play mmos as a single player game that they can easily co op with their friend(s). I think only about 30% of the max level playerbase even does lfr. I know im the only person in my guild and on my entire friends list that has even seen EN. Gear is the only way people can really feel like theyre getting better.

Ah yes but did he get the Nikes fo free????
    The player still has to do something for the loot. WQs however easy, is still doing something.

Though I believe the request for higher ilvl WQ might be more towards wanting more ways to advance their character without raiding. I don't know how much gear upgrades through obliterum can get that done. Maybe offer more useful loot from brawler's guild or Proving grounds or withered training (with a core of 650+)

To answer the exact question, "why do Casual need gear?" I believe the OP knows the answer. Even as a casual I may want to do stuff that requires a certain level of gear. You're not going to go farm ToT on Heroic with a fresh dinged 110. Back when we had the Trolls in MoP, I could barely kill the warbringers if I made no mistakes and it took forever. But once I got 30 ilvl highers, I could make mistakes and the time was a lot less.

Quote Originally Posted by Warbearr View Post
    I guess the question is, why shouldent he be? why does it matter..

I dont really care either way about anyones ilvl.. but the mentality of "he shouldent get X because Y" i dont really get.. its a game, why does it matter what someone else has?
    true it is just a game, but a game that requires work/effort, like life. do you think Billy the boar slayer deserves a super powerful weapon like val'anyr for free or should he actually play/work for it? what it comes down to is removing the value of items if billy the boar slayer can do nothing and get everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Succath View Post
    Yes yes, then go do some progression shit and not wine about not getting gear when you are not doing anything remotely progression based.

everyone can bitch an wine about it as much as you can but it all comes down to one point.
    people work for that gear. You dont want to do that, ea doing dungeons/mythics raids etc (which is fine btw). Then you dont get the loot. simple as that.

It has nothing to do with being casual it has to do with going trough the content. the harder the content the better the gear.

/threat
    Top kek.

I raid (HC and Mythic) and do Mythic dungeons, and I still realize why "casuals" want gear. It still means and always WILL mean that they'll have to do the required content for the rewards they crave, be it mounts, titles or gear of a certain item level. So your little tantrum was wasted on me.

Deleted
    Well there is a nonsence in this topic
    In same way a Casual dude could ask you why you need gear too? If you are so good then gear mean nothing for you you can beat the bosses with your lv 1 weapons

I got triggered when I read the latest Q&A and this guy is asking blizz why he can't get higher than 850 without going into dungeons? He goes on to say that they need a "casual in their office telling them every day that he has nothing to do". If you don't want to do instanced PvE or PvP YOU DON'T NEED GEAR! If you are really that "casual" why do you need a HARDCORE ILVL!?!? go farm mounts or pets or xmogs or does that require an 880 ilvl? If you don't want to play WoW than don't play WoW don't whine and complain that it isn't Hello Kitty Island Adventure. I work AND go to school full time and I'm 855 ilvl and ready for karazan tomorrow. I'm a casual by my own definition and I never feel entitled to gear.

TLR Want gear? Get good. You don't deserve anything from WQ.
    Why do you care what gear others have, it doesn't effect you in any way lol
    Science has made us gods even before we are worthy of being men: Jean Rostand. Yeah, Atheism is a religion like bald is a hair colour!.
    Classic: "The tank is the driver, the healer is the fuel, and the DPS are the kids sitting in the back seat screaming and asking if they're there yet."
    Irony >> "do they even realize that having a state religion IS THE REASON WE LEFT BRITTEN? god these people are idiots"

This is a perfect example what has gone wrong in WoW. Before, gear was a tool you needed to be able to get a reward, now the gear itself is the reward and nothing else has next to no value.

And i really don't see why anyone should be rewarded for logging in and doing some trivial BS.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why are you ranting? Because you are the casual secretly? Ilv 855 is nothing to brag about, it's actually a "casual" ilv...

Quote Originally Posted by deniter View Post
    This is a perfect example what has gone wrong in WoW. Before, gear was a tool you needed to be able to get a reward, now the gear itself is the reward and nothing else has next to no value.

And i really don't see why anyone should be rewarded for logging in and doing some trivial BS.
    Lmfao, out of touch much? There was a time when gear drops broke guilds apart because they were SO rare and had to be shared amongst 40 people. There's tons of drama videos of ninja looting where people throw tantrums over pieces of epix ranging from Classic up to now.

Take off the rose-tinted glasses, there's always been plenty of loot-whores in MMORPG's. How someone views gear comes down to personal values, NOT something the game is doing.