Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

RIFT: Planar Fragments - dumb game design 101

Rift introduces the mother of all RNG on gear. Plat (gold) sink of note.

Yes. It's beta. I know. Fact is, however, game comes out in less than a month? Nov 16th?

I'm bitching - loudly - with many others to ensure it gets changed before release - not a "band-aid", but a proper re-design.

http://forums.riftgame.com/general-d...and-fixes.html

Starts at 01:12:12 - chatting / showing how dumb these new planar fragments were as an idea.

More at 02:15:20 to show you how bad the RNG idea is.

Last edited by theWocky; 2016-10-24 at 01:34 PM.

That's fucken insane.

I though Legion RNG was shit but Wow that's just priceless. The cost is insane and then having to spend ether plat or RL $$$ to unlock the other slots.
    Just fucken wow, whoever though of this system needs to be fired.

That cost in plat along with the RNG......that's just insane.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

How the fuck could someone make RNG worse than Legion? Seriously Trion deserve an achievement for that. Definitely a no now for SFP if they are gonna add this kind of crap.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    That's fucken insane.

I though Legion RNG was shit but Wow that's just priceless. The cost is insane and then having to spend ether plat or RL $$$ to unlock the other slots.
    Just fucken wow, whoever though of this system needs to be fired.

That cost in plat along with the RNG......that's just insane.
    Mate me and you between us could design a better fucking system and we spend half the time on here debating/sometimes arguing.

It does kinda look horrible indeed.
    But I was under the impression Rift was a F2P game or did they change that?

Most f2p games tend to introduce horrible rng modes eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by Malackai View Post

Starfall Prophecy will be Buy to Play but it's Trion I honestly did not expect any less. And even during Nightmare Tide they did stupid crap like gate gear slots behind obnoxious in game grinds or a paywall and add more convenience perks to patron only such as specific queue for dungeons/warfronts.

Quote Originally Posted by Malackai View Post

Rift did go f2p and had a model I praised. Then they went p2w and now are b2p/p2w.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post

Mate me and you between us could design a better fucking system and we spend half the time on here debating/sometimes arguing.
    Totally agree and ya how the fuck do you do worse then legion when it comes to RNG.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.

Rift did go f2p and had a model I praised. Then they went p2w and now are b2p/p2w.

- - - Updated - - -

Totally agree and ya how the fuck do you do worse then legion when it comes to RNG.
    I'd say borderline pay to win personally. Yes they started selling gear slots but sadly you could get it in game. Just was obnoxious as hell to grind. And honestly I dunno but Trion have achieved it somehow.

I'd say borderline pay to win personally. Yes they started selling gear slots but sadly you could get it in game. Just was obnoxious as hell to grind.
    IMO If the grind ingame is unrealistic then its fully p2w. To me Rift's systems have been p2w for quite awhile and this adds to it. The amount of platinum to upgrade and then needing plat to unlock the slots or spend RL $$$ is fucken insane.

I really wish someone would just take this MMO out back and put it out of its misery.

IMO If the grind ingame is unrealistic then its fully p2w. To me Rift's systems have been p2w for quite awhile and this adds to it. The amount of platinum to upgrade and then needing plat to unlock the slots or spend RL $$$ is fucken insane.

I really wish someone would just take this MMO out back and put it out of its misery.
    Honestly SFP will probably be the final nail in the coffin. It doesn't help they listen to their "hardcore fans" either along with actually having no idea how not to make an MMO anymore. Methinks I'll throw that money towards some Guild Wars 2 cosmetics since I've picked it up again recently.

Honestly SFP will probably be the final nail in the coffin. It doesn't help they listen to their "hardcore fans" either along with actually having no idea how not to make an MMO anymore. Methinks I'll throw that money towards some Guild Wars 2 cosmetics since I've picked it up again recently.
    I need to get the new expansion since its like $25 now and check it out.

Sorry but eventually people will start paying in cash. This system is not what Rift needs. I don't know how anyone can defend this system. Every time I think about coming back to this game they pull something stupid and I'm like "NOPE".
    Last edited by Eleccybubb; 2016-10-24 at 10:13 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, this system looks ridiculously bad. I wonder how many raiding guilds are left to actually get serious about this system.
    I come across a quiet river, that wonders through the trees.
    I stare into its running waters and fall unto my knees.
    In resignation to the forest, that's held me for so long.
    I close my eyes and drift away into nature's evensong.

I'm just waiting for the inevitable "the devs need to eat too/they need money to develop the game/you can easily grind plat in-game" from the usual suspects.

If this stays as it is now at release it will be perceived as yet another blatant attempt to milk people dry and i'm sure further along the line stuff that can reroll stats etc will also be sold on the cash shop.

So much for buy to play.

Quote Originally Posted by justinhalfout View Post
    I'm just waiting for the inevitable "the devs need to eat too/they need money to develop the game/you can easily grind plat in-game" from the usual suspects.

If this stays as it is now at release it will be perceived as yet another blatant attempt to milk people dry and i'm sure further along the line stuff that can reroll stats etc will also be sold on the cash shop.

So much for buy to play.
    Can be spun how it wants. It's pay to win bullshit. And it won't be changed because the game is around a month or less from release I'm guessing.

Can be spun how it wants. It's pay to win bullshit. And it won't be changed because the game is around a month or less from release I'm guessing.
    I am rarely doom and gloom.

But if this shit go's live the way it is, it will highly damage if not kill rift. Not everyone has a fuck ton of plat or wants to spend RL $$$$ to unlock gear slots. This is a really really stupid p2w idea.

Is there a written description of the system/its issues anywhere? Read through the posts in this thread and some in the forums but don't see much in the way of descriptions, and can't watch the video until later today, but curious about how the system actually works.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Is there a written description of the system/its issues anywhere?
    The system isn't even completely in place, the reason why it's costing so much plat is because you currently can't break down the fragments fully to infuse the main planar fragment, this guy explains a bit of how it works, due a new build today with big crafting changes so they might implement the fragment breaking down and infusing the fragments.

http://forums.riftgame.com/general-d...ml#post5253656

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Slipmat View Post
    The system isn't even completely in place, the reason why it's costing so much plat is because you currently can't break down the fragments fully to infuse the main planar fragment, this guy explains a bit of how it works, due a new build today with big crafting changes so they might implement the fragment breaking down and infusing the fragments.

http://forums.riftgame.com/general-d...ml#post5253656
    I'm hoping that they have truly fixed this. I have my doubts.

With Trion, I generally find using a sledge-hammer on an issue rather than a scalpel is the best way to get their attention to make changes.

I know we are in beta, but we are also less than 4 weeks from going "live" and this system should not have been in beta in the current form. My inner cynic tells me they hoped people would accept it and move on. Need to let them know that people won't accept this.

Quote Originally Posted by theWocky View Post
    I'm hoping that they have truly fixed this. I have my doubts.

With Trion, I generally find using a sledge-hammer on an issue rather than a scalpel is the best way to get their attention to make changes.

I know we are in beta, but we are also less than 4 weeks from going "live" and this system should not have been in beta in the current form. My inner cynic tells me they hoped people would accept it and move on. Need to let them know that people won't accept this.
    They ain't fixing it mate. It will stay this moronic RNGfest that somehow managed to be worse than Legion. Remember who you are putting your hope in with that statement.

10+ Year Old Account
    They ain't fixing it mate. It will stay this moronic RNGfest that somehow managed to be worse than Legion. Remember who you are putting your hope in with that statement.
    Well, I did resub to WoW last night again and bought the expansion

I was just really amused at the TeamSpeak guild banter on Sunday night about "what" MMORPG is like Rift and "what" game would folks consider moving too as an entire guild. Folks really not happy with the beta RNG thing.

Still, I've also bought Starfall Prophecy, so it will be interesting to see at release. No harm since the money has been spent already.