Page 1 of 7
... LastLast

[EU] Boosting Scam

Hello WoW Community

I want raise awareness about boosting groups that essentially take advantage out of good geared characters:

I applied for a pre-made raid which said: Fast Run 865+, link Curve Achievement yadayada you know the deal. A few minutes later we have a full 30man group and we can start. The first few bosses I didn't even notice that we had low geared character in the raid until we wiped on renferal. I did a quick check and it became apparent that we are boosting ppl which I was not made aware of.
    Basically they use other good geared ppl with experience to increase the profit since they dont have to pay the ppl which they initially got with the "fast run" advertisement.

I called it out in raid chat and got kicked.

I'm not sure if this is against ToS from Blizzard or if anything can be done about it. If its not against the rules of this forum I could call the guild and the guy out who did this and provide additional prove if you want.

I will be more careful now when I pug in the future and I wanted to bring this to attention because I'm sure this is not the only group who is doing this.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by excip View Post
    I'm not sure if this is against ToS from Blizzard or if anything can be done about it.
    Why would it be? They are making the group, inviting people with better or worse gear and running through the raid.
    Is it a scummy thing? Maybe. But it doesn't break any rules.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's not against the TOS. Nothing wrong with it, next time I guess...ask ahead or maybe make your own group? *shrug*

Do not post their details here. Naming and shaming is not allowed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Since something like that is called scam irl, I'm all for banning those people.

fairly common sadly... in WoD guild sold carries then pugged the extra slots with super high requirments and didn't cut the PUGs in on the gold from the buyer..
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22

Quote Originally Posted by Pendra View Post
    Why would it be? They are making the group, inviting people with better or worse gear and running through the raid.
    Is it a scummy thing? Maybe. But it doesn't break any rules.
    If I apply for a raid which gives the impression that only experience and good geared characters are in the raid for a fast run but in reality I'm boosting ppl and don't get paid for it then that's a pretty scummy thing yes. But it was my fault because I didn't pay attention because I was not aware that ppl are doing this that's why I want to bring it to attention.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hello WoW Community

I want raise awareness about boosting groups that essentially take advantage out of good geared characters:

I applied for a pre-made raid which said: Fast Run 865+, link Curve Achievement yadayada you know the deal. A few minutes later we have a full 30man group and we can start. The first few bosses I didn't even notice that we had low geared character in the raid until we wiped on renferal. I did a quick check and it became apparent that we are boosting ppl which I was not made aware of.
    Basically they use other good geared ppl with experience to increase the profit since they dont have to pay the ppl which they initially got with the "fast run" advertisement.

I called it out in raid chat and got kicked.

I'm not sure if this is against ToS from Blizzard or if anything can be done about it. If its not against the rules of this forum I could call the guild and the guy out who did this and provide additional prove if you want.

I will be more careful now when I pug in the future and I wanted to bring this to attention because I'm sure this is not the only group who is doing this.
    Not a scam, really. Not against ToS either. Their group, their setup. Sorry, it's been like that for years with that method.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

The Lightbringer GKLeatherCraft's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by matheney2k View Post
    I love how the mentality of this community (and even a mod) is that if I murder you in international waters it is okay because I did not break any laws.
    Haha, That's some comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    Sorry, it's been like that for years with that method.
    Premade Group Finder got introduced 6.0.2 not even two years and premade group finder was nowhere near as popular as it is now. And I can agree to a setup. Like in WotlK where you would say X-item is locked sure no problem but if you fake your setup to get experienced ppl and take advantage out of them how are you ok with this behavior?

http://wow.gamepedia.com/Premade_Groups

Quote Originally Posted by Tiase View Post
    It's not a direct "scam" but it IS tricking other players into helping them boost lowbies who pay gold for the boost, which YOU don't get a cut off.

Same it's sort of in the same territory as good ol ninja looting. It's a problem but not "against the rules".
    Agreed. But we can raise awareness so that these groups don't get any support to do this.
    Last edited by excip; 2016-10-24 at 08:26 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by matheney2k View Post
    I love how the mentality of this community (and even a mod) is that if I murder you in international waters it is okay because I did not break any laws.
    What in the world does murder have to do with boosting people in groups? The comparison is laughable.

Someone who murders someone else in international waters can be prosecuted by the country the victim is from, the country the vessel is from, the United States, or the country of the perpetrator. They don't escape justice.
    Last edited by Darsithis; 2016-10-24 at 09:14 PM. Reason: fixed spelling

i remember ppl did this on garrosh all the time when geared ppl needed the heirloom weps and the buyers needed the wolf, pretty smart way to make some $$$

Herald of the Titans Dristereau's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Not against Terms and Conditions if it's for gold. Not exactly a nice method but still. You signed up to the group on the terms listed, which showed nothing about a Boost service. Honestly though most groups are made for boosting someone. Sometimes it's the leader, sometimes it's their friends. You can't do anything about it.

The Premade finder is pretty bad for finding decent groups. Most have ridiculous requirements and are usually boosting people. It's not often now you will find a group who want to just do the Content and not have ridiculous requirements like 850 for a Mythic Dungeon. Unfortunately the mentality is based on trying to finish things ASAP and the easiest ride possible.
    Dristereau - Axxolentus - Infernus - Sequentia - Nulo - Desterrar

Silvermoon
    - Shadowsong/Aszune - Tarren-Mill/Dentarg (SL Mage Tower: 29/36
    )

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    the United States
    No, the United States has no jurisdiction in international waters.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's not just raids this happens in. The other day I got suckered into running a M+2 with a hunter who did 30k dps the entire run. I was... not happy.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by goblingirl View Post
    It's not just raids this happens in. The other day I got suckered into running a M+2 with a hunter who did 30k dps the entire run. I was... not happy.
    If the hunter owned the key then there's nothing wrong with it.

This happened back with Archi moose sales and eventually the community accepted it. Like, you'd invite a bunch of people looking for ring upgrades basically, and after awhile people stopped complaining because it was a win-win (as long as they get their kills).

Even before it was super nerfed, you'd have people doing "Heroic Archi #X" 10-15 times a day, inviting a full group of AOTCs and 2-4 carries. One guy I knew sold that gold to support his family in a 3rd world country, but eh, no one knew that lol. Everyone got their fels and they were one shots so they were happy. He'd make about a million a day.

It's shady/a grey area, sure
    Last edited by MrExcelion; 2016-10-24 at 11:14 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    If I apply for a raid which gives the impression that only experience and good geared characters are in the raid for a fast run but in reality I'm boosting ppl and don't get paid for it then that's a pretty scummy thing yes. But it was my fault because I didn't pay attention because I was not aware that ppl are doing this that's why I want to bring it to attention.
    Definition of an experienced player differs from player to player. It can be deceiving but there's not much else you can do but join raids and see how it goes.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Essentia@Cho'gall of Inebriated Raiding.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...ssentia/simple
    http://masteroverwatch.com/profile/pc/us/Tharkkun-1222

People have been doing this forever, if you have a handful of mythic geared+skilled players and a handful of people to get boosted then people will ALWAYS apply and want to join anyway; it's easy to fill a raid. Most of them don't care, they're getting their raid kills and loot with a leader who is both skilled and highly interested in a clean kill.

Pretty common.
    Saw someting similar going around for Archimonde mount. Players would join pugs and sell spots claiming it was a boost run.

This is a large part of the reason I never join PUGs asking for item level above what the instance drops. More often than not they're boosting at least one or two people and relying on well geared pugs to make up the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Svisalith View Post
    People have been doing this forever, if you have a handful of mythic geared+skilled players and a handful of people to get boosted then people will ALWAYS apply and want to join anyway; it's easy to fill a raid. Most of them don't care, they're getting their raid kills and loot with a leader who is both skilled and highly interested in a clean kill.
    You're a lot luckier than I am. Usually it's impatient idiots who want a wipe-free run while boosting themselves or their friends, ready to kick at the first sign of trouble.
    Last edited by darkwarrior42; 2016-10-25 at 12:05 AM.