Restoration Shaman mastery legion

Hi, I got a question.. now in legion with current stat priority with Crit and Mastery.. I got 106% mastery in raids with foods etc.. Is the point to have as much mastery as possible or should I get some Haste aswell in my gear? since the Restoration Mastery "Deep Healing" gives you Higher heals the lower hp your target is, which is ok for some fights like Ursoc and Cenarius I have noticed... But to the question again.. Should I go for some Haste and skip some mastery or should I keep stacking up with it?

You should stay with full Mastery / Crit. Remember, Critical strikes give you a ton of necessary secondaries to your class -- specifically mana regen, cast time decreased (effectively haste). This means that Crit serves a triple purpose, and is therefore vastly superior to haste in every way.

If you're in raids that everyone is above 80% health all the time, then you aren't using your mastery to it's full potential. It's time for harder content. Shamans shine when the raid takes immense damage (Ursoc and Xavius are extremely good fights for us).

Remember though, your stat priorities are Intellect > Mastery slightly > Crit. So if you get a huge ilvl upgrade that has much more intellect, but has haste as a secondary instead of Crit, it's likely an upgrade due to the intellect increase. Intellect effects our throughput on all spells and is therefore the best all-around stat. This isn't the case with all class specs this patch.

Other fights, other healers will dominate you. Specifically Nythendra. There's too much movement on that fight for us to do well.

Quote Originally Posted by Dtere1 View Post
    You should stay with full Mastery / Crit. Remember, Critical strikes give you a ton of necessary secondaries to your class -- specifically mana regen, cast time decreased (effectively haste). This means that Crit serves a triple purpose, and is therefore vastly superior to haste in every way.

If you're in raids that everyone is above 80% health all the time, then you aren't using your mastery to it's full potential. It's time for harder content. Shamans shine when the raid takes immense damage (Ursoc and Xavius are extremely good fights for us).

Remember though, your stat priorities are Intellect > Mastery slightly > Crit. So if you get a huge ilvl upgrade that has much more intellect, but has haste as a secondary instead of Crit, it's likely an upgrade due to the intellect increase. Intellect effects our throughput on all spells and is therefore the best all-around stat. This isn't the case with all class specs this patch.

Other fights, other healers will dominate you. Specifically Nythendra. There's too much movement on that fight for us to do well.
    I was able to parse top 99% on Nyth using a crit mast build and torrent. I could move well enough and pop healing tide during massive damage phases. Healing rain coupled with spirit link is great for getting raid through 3rd MC phase. The class has a lot of utility overall. I do see some need for a healing stream buff and I would like to see less splashy healing traits on our gold tier artifact. Most of the healing is uncontrollable and really makes overflowing affix difficult.

But the Crit mast build is one that I find very effective.

Quote Originally Posted by obesemidget View Post
    I was able to parse top 99% on Nyth using a crit mast build and torrent. I could move well enough and pop healing tide during massive damage phases. Healing rain coupled with spirit link is great for getting raid through 3rd MC phase. The class has a lot of utility overall. I do see some need for a healing stream buff and I would like to see less splashy healing traits on our gold tier artifact. Most of the healing is uncontrollable and really makes overflowing affix difficult.

But the Crit mast build is one that I find very effective.
    Shamans are meant to be the best at handling overflowing. In fact I don't even consider it an affix as I find it incredibly easy to handle. I've done up to mythic +10 with it. If your talking about beyond +10 then I don't have then I cant comment.

You just have to be careful when using them larger aoe CDs you can't control. Just stick to single target healing build.

Quote Originally Posted by Slugman View Post
    Shamans are meant to be the best at handling overflowing. In fact I don't even consider it an affix as I find it incredibly easy to handle. I've done up to mythic +10 with it. If your talking about beyond +10 then I don't have then I cant comment.

You just have to be careful when using them larger aoe CDs you can't control. Just stick to single target healing build.
    Your right for the most part I ignore the affix. I retract the statement about overflowing.

I would however like to fix some of the Artifact traits on the Resto shaman kit to be a little less random and more controlled. I also would like cleanse to be effected by the echo of element again. I run into the issue of not being able to cleanse enough people in instances like BRH.

Some haste is not bad. On a micro-scale, the different between a 2s CH and a 2.5s CH matters far more than the overall throughput loss by getting the haste over mastery. Same with single target healing and riptide/tidal waves.

That said, in a raiding context it's probably never worth getting haste over crit or mastery when the crit and mastery is already available. It's just not terrible if you get a haste itemized piece. Point for point, crit/mastery are much much better than haste for throughput alone, not even considering the HPM gains over haste.

Mastery vs Crit is a better question. If you're not seeing the benefit of your mastery very often in the content you're doing, it's better to go crit. Crit, point for point, is better than mastery at 60% average raid health. Mastery is technically a bit more overall useful, since healing done at critical health counts for more than healing done at 90% health just from a raid utility PoV, but there you go.

haste = 325 per 1%
    crit+QA = 296 per 1%
    mastery = 296 per 1% @ 60% health

In case you wanted to see the difference between haste and the other two.
    Last edited by Larynx; 2016-10-25 at 03:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Larynx View Post
    Some haste is not bad. On a micro-scale, the different between a 2s CH and a 2.5s CH matters far more than the overall throughput loss by getting the haste over mastery. Same with single target healing and riptide/tidal waves.

That said, in a raiding context it's probably never worth getting haste over crit or mastery when the crit and mastery is already available. It's just not terrible if you get a haste itemized piece. Point for point, crit/mastery are much much better than haste for throughput alone, not even considering the HPM gains over haste.

Mastery vs Crit is a better question. If you're not seeing the benefit of your mastery very often in the content you're doing, it's better to go crit. Crit, point for point, is better than mastery at 60% average raid health. Mastery is technically a bit more overall useful, since healing done at critical health counts for more than healing done at 90% health just from a raid utility PoV, but there you go.

haste = 325 per 1%
    crit+QA = 296 per 1%
    mastery = 296 per 1% @ 60% health

In case you wanted to see the difference between haste and the other two.
    This argument has always confused me. If you're not getting the full out of your mastery (i.e. people aren't taking much dmg compared to how much you heal) you should switch to crit? Why? It serves no purpose! Wanna know why? Because it's not needed and when you need to heal more your mastery is always better.

Quote Originally Posted by mittacc View Post
    This argument has always confused me. If you're not getting the full out of your mastery (i.e. people aren't taking much dmg compared to how much you heal) you should switch to crit? Why? It serves no purpose! Wanna know why? Because it's not needed and when you need to heal more your mastery is always better.
    Because the concept of HPM exists. It's horribly inefficient to stack mastery if you're not benefiting from it, and it's stupidly risky to just not heal people and let them drop to the point where mastery is actually useful.

I personally favor crit this expansion, but not ignoring mastery. I think crit gives you more unless you're pushing high end content. I mainly do dungeons and heroic raiding.

I honestly miss the era where hitting a haste cap was a thing. I especially liked in MoP how all 3 stats were valued.

Because the concept of HPM exists. It's horribly inefficient to stack mastery if you're not benefiting from it, and it's stupidly risky to just not heal people and let them drop to the point where mastery is actually useful.
    Look, having a healthy balance between crit and mastery is obviously the optimal setup but still, there is no valid point in changing that balance into more crit just because you wanna flash your e-peen on farm fights.

Quote Originally Posted by mittacc View Post
    Look, having a healthy balance between crit and mastery is obviously the optimal setup but still, there is no valid point in changing that balance into more crit just because you wanna flash your e-peen on farm fights.
    Nothing I said was related to performance relative to other healers. You can re-read the post if you'd like, but I have a feeling you're just going to give another very witty and dismissive reply instead.

If you're intentionally trying to game mastery on fights not intentionally designed in such a way that mastery is actually useful, you're at risk of having random deaths to spike damage or falling completely behind on healing for fights with very heavy sustained damage. Waiting to heal is like invalidating half of someone's stamina and doesn't make any sense. If you only have mastery and can't game it, you're at risk of running yourself and other healers OOM on fights where your mastery isn't benefiting you since crit offers more HPM. It has literally nothing to do with HPS epeen.
    Last edited by Larynx; 2016-10-26 at 05:09 PM.

Nothing I said was related to performance relative to other healers. You can re-read the post if you'd like, but I have a feeling you're just going to give another very witty and dismissive reply instead.

If you're intentionally trying to game mastery on fights not intentionally designed in such a way that mastery is actually useful, you're at risk of having random deaths to spike damage or falling completely behind on healing for fights with very heavy sustained damage. Waiting to heal is like invalidating half of someone's stamina and doesn't make any sense. If you only have mastery and can't game it, you're at risk of running yourself and other healers OOM on fights where your mastery isn't benefiting you since crit offers more HPM. It has literally nothing to do with HPS epeen.
    Just re-read my post and I agree that it is kind of bossy. Wasn't meant to come off that way, I'm sorry.

I was looking through some top shaman parses and almost every single parse has the shaman getting 1-3 innervates...
    I'm sorry but that's just silly.

Quote Originally Posted by mcbubble View Post
    I was looking through some top shaman parses and almost every single parse has the shaman getting 1-3 innervates...
    I'm sorry but that's just silly.
    That is just silly. With a good crit balance that shouldn't be necessary. With that said, cooldowns like Innvervate are meant to be used. If you're not using it every time it's up, one could argue it's a waste of potential.

Deleted
    Currently running mythic EN with a 25% Crit / 25% Haste / 80% Mastery setup with buffs, 20/20/80 without and its served me quite well, but I find swapping into some haste is far more beneficial than stacking mastery for days. I got the healing rain boots last night and so I find that haste still has a spot as a valuable stat, because reducing GCDs for better Healing Rain / Chain Heal combos is better than going full mastery with shitty tetiary stats. Crit is our mana reserve, and with 25% I crit consistently enough to keep myself above 50% until the fight gets intense.