Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ...
    Plus they were mostly exclusive to the burning blade clan.

In a team full of people with counter heroes, I had people complain about samuro because the enemy one kept killing them.

Urgh people who just pick one set of talents no matter what...

Quote Originally Posted by RH92 View Post
    Just because a medieval Knight swings a sword, it doesn't make him a Samurai and vice versa.

Blademasters are not traditional Warriors in Orc society, they use deception and magic in combination with combat finesse.
    Actually Samurai are precisely the Japanese equivalent of knights. They were both socio-economic classes with an emphasis on equestrianism who provided military service for a feudal lord and they even both had a code of chivalry. And were both romanticised in poetry.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    Actually Samurai are precisely the Japanese equivalent of knights. They were both socio-economic classes with an emphasis on equestrianism who provided military service for a feudal lord and they even both had a code of chivalry. And were both romanticised in poetry.
    You just proved my point. They are so similar, yet so different.

Even though a typical Orc Warrior and Blademaster are essentially soldiers, they are not the same. As with martial arts, they all pretty much teach how to throw a jab, but they use different fighting systems with different strenghts and weaknesses.

You just proved my point. They are so similar, yet so different.
    I think they're as close to identical as two concepts from completely different cultures can be.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think they're as close to identical as two concepts from completely different cultures can be.
    Yes they are, but they fight differently and have different views.

Blademasters are exclusive to Burning Blade Clan. While there is a common Orc culture across all the clans, some clans also have very different culture. Some put more emphasis on "warrior" culture and others are more religious, while still having unique view per clan.

For example Burning Blade takes inspiration from Japanese Samurai culture and I would say Warsong are inspired by Golden Horde.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerraw View Post
    I see most people picking the blink talent at 13 on Wind Walk. I prefer the extra Mirror Image. You can set up some serious mindgames with that thing.
    Unless you are picking Illusion Master with the upgrade at lvl 20, his Wind Walk build by picking the teleport at lvl 13, as well as the lvl 16 and 20 talents makes him have a ridiculous uptime on his targets. Even without the lvl 1 Wind Walk quest talent his Wind Walk build is much better than Zeratul's Blink. He has stealth on demand while being able to teleport just as far, gets a movement speed bonus, damage bonus, and a short 6 second cooldown that will make him extremely hard to escape from once he starts chasing. He is a beast.

Yes, yet they had very different belief systems and combat styles. It's like martial arts systems. Sure, karate and kali are both martial art systems, and both will teach you ways to throw a punch or a kick. But a karate master is not gonna automatically be skilled with a parang or golok because he learned the katana, and likewise the parang and golok combat skills of the Kali master aren't gonna help him much if you toss him a katana. And each discipline has their own techniques and variations, even though they are both intended to serve the same purpose in their respective cultures. So yes, knights and samurais both fulfill the same roles in their respective cultures, just like kali and karate fulfill the same roles in theirs. But a knight is NOT a samurai, and a karate master is NOT a kali expert.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormcall View Post
    But a karate master [] because he learned the katana.
    Kara Te means empty hand. Guess why...

10+ Year Old Account
    *Post*
    Traditional Karate does not use any weapons. Historically it was developed by people because their king banned use of all weapons. If I remember well, I think it was taught by Chinese travelers and changed to fit Japanese culture. Once Karate was fully embraced it was just natural people started use weapons as well.

When I had my Karate lessons, there was just only one teacher who was also training armed combat (And he was mostly using Nunchaku and Sai, definitely no Katana though). It is up to a certain school to teach it, but they definitely do not focus on mastering those weapons as they focus on mastering their punches and kicks. If I want to use Katana sword, I would rather look for Kendo lessons.

Yes, yet they had very different belief systems and combat styles. It's like martial arts systems. Sure, karate and kali are both martial art systems, and both will teach you ways to throw a punch or a kick. But a karate master is not gonna automatically be skilled with a parang or golok because he learned the katana, and likewise the parang and golok combat skills of the Kali master aren't gonna help him much if you toss him a katana. And each discipline has their own techniques and variations, even though they are both intended to serve the same purpose in their respective cultures. So yes, knights and samurais both fulfill the same roles in their respective cultures, just like kali and karate fulfill the same roles in theirs. But a knight is NOT a samurai, and a karate master is NOT a kali expert.
    Well they had different belief systems and martial arts styles because of their different cultures.

Obviously they aren't exactly the same, what I'm saying is that they are equivalents in different cultures. Like how a Blood Knight, a Sunwalker and a member of the Silver Hand are all considered "Paladins" in WoW despite being very culturally distinct.

Since last night's update, Samuro has been played 500 times in games uploaded on Hotslogs. He has won 50.9% of those games as of the time I'm writing this.

Deleted
    Samuro kind off shit since last update.

7+ Year Old Account
    I don't want to shitpost or anything, but I recently got back into this game after like a half-year break and this character is unbelievably broken in my eyes. Even though he's been supposedly nerfed, his damage is insanely strong, the clones are incredibly obnoxious to deal with and their lifespan is insane (it's easy to have 100% uptime with them), and his movement speed and ability to stealth is just kind of the thing that pushes him way over the edge. According to hotslogs he is at a near 60% win rate, and playing against him is just not fun at all.

I know that draft exists and he is usually blocked, but I'm just weirded out that the HotS team made this character. I think characters like Abathur and Cho'Gall are really interesting and well designed, and really mix up the meta as well as our preconceived notions about a moba in a compelling way. But Samuro is pitched to us as like this "deceitful" character were you're like "outwitting" your opponent, but the playstyle just seems like mongoloid rushdown and fill every crevice of the battlefield with your no-mana-cost free damage bodyblocking clones. How could they come to the conclusion that this is interesting game design? I don't understand the line of thinking that clones are free to cast, do damage, and can be up all the time. Does Samuro only not have a mana bar to reduce the visual clutter of his clones? In my opinion, this hero is way too safe of a pick and you can play insanely risk free and reap huge rewards. There are so many ways that they could fix him and I'm frankly surprised that they haven't.

Did they intentionally create a overtuned hero to make the banning phase less clear cut...? That might sound like some tinfoil hat stuff but its really the only reason I can think of that explains the clear design flaws with this character.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Icecat View Post
    *Post*
    He is tough Hero to deal with for sure, but not impossible.

He as a hero struggles against teams with good wave clear and map control as he is not good at providing any of those. He is a Hero that thrives in open team fight oriented games, so you basically need to play safe, slowly overwhelm enemy team with push and pick your fights. After that you can easily snowball it on your advantage.

However you still need a good counter Hero. Tassadar is extremely good, you sacrifice Leeching Plasma for Mental Acuity at level 4 and you can counter his Mirror Images every time he uses it. If your team doesn't do it, just tell them you are waiting to use your Oracle for his Images and tell them to focus him hard once you reveal him. He has no sustain, so every little bit of damage snowballs the fight in your favor. Tassadar is also good at surviving his damage and protecting others from opening damage.

In general I had great success with Tassadar + Tracer composition against any Samuro team, because this composition is hard to kill and after certain point they will simply bully you and finish you off as there is no escaping Tracer.

7+ Year Old Account
    He is tough Hero to deal with for sure, but not impossible.

He as a hero struggles against teams with good wave clear and map control as he is not good at providing any of those. He is a Hero that thrives in open team fight oriented games, so you basically need to play safe, slowly overwhelm enemy team with push and pick your fights. After that you can easily snowball it on your advantage.

However you still need a good counter Hero. Tassadar is extremely good, you sacrifice Leeching Plasma for Mental Acuity at level 4 and you can counter his Mirror Images every time he uses it. If your team doesn't do it, just tell them you are waiting to use your Oracle for his Images and tell them to focus him hard once you reveal him. He has no sustain, so every little bit of damage snowballs the fight in your favor. Tassadar is also good at surviving his damage and protecting others from opening damage.

In general I had great success with Tassadar + Tracer composition against any Samuro team, because this composition is hard to kill and after certain point they will simply bully you and finish you off as there is no escaping Tracer.
    I like playing Tassadar. I'll give it a shot. Even still, I'd ideally like to see some changes made to Samuro that would only address the bottom line of players but doesn't mess too much with his high skill cap.

Im happy i dont have to see him in every game meanwhile. When he was introduced it was just a pain in the ass. He was in every team. I guess its a hero who got introduced for those who think even nova is hard to play.

I love the new skin!

Curious though, looks like this is also an announcement video for Samuro. So is this supposed to be an old video, or something recent and China is getting staggered updates behind US/EU?
    Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    "Real" Demon Hunters don't work as a class in modern WoW
    Quote Originally Posted by Talen View Post
    Please point out to me the player Demon Hunter who has Meta.

Quote Originally Posted by Thimagryn View Post
    I love the new skin!

Curious though, looks like this is also an announcement video for Samuro. So is this supposed to be an old video, or something recent and China is getting staggered updates behind US/EU?
    Updates are done the same week for all regions, with a difference of 1/2 days ala all other Blizzard games. They just showed the character anyway during the trailer. The skin will come in Feb/March with the Lunar Festival.

- - - Updated - - -

For example Burning Blade takes inspiration from Japanese Samurai culture and I would say Warsong are inspired by Golden Horde.
    Yeah pretty much. Warsong is technically similar to Varian, even though Grom in WC 3 had the blademaster kit for gameplay reasons.