Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Selastan View Post
    considering that it is Europe, my money is on soccer. They don't play as much football over there.
    No, they play fotball here, not Handegg, like in Murica.

Quote Originally Posted by Ikarun View Post
    How does one become Patriotic?
    Brainwashing. Subliminal messages in the forced ads. It's in the water. It's in the computer/phone screens. You can't escape it.
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    ==================================
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by caervek View Post
    Yeah mate, the rest of the world will rename football because 'Murica has invented a new sport and wants to use the name. How about no, we'll just call yours American Football instead.

Or Handegg?

Quote Originally Posted by chrykoolaid View Post
    Because most yanks love to support war, atrocities such as mass genocide for natural resources such as oil, gas, diamonds etc while blaming others for their imperialism of playing world police
    Maybe if other countries were as good at blowing shit up as we are they would do it more often.
    Or maybe if so many other places behaved themselves daddy wouldn't need to give them a whuppin.

10+ Year Old Account
    Because of the founding of our nation. Of the struggles they went through and everything they worked for.

Plus all the battles the US has been in and the people we've helped throughout our time as a nation.

Our government has certainly fucked things up, no doubt about that, but the general premise remains the same.

We try and help others. Especially if their need is dire.

My other end to that, on a personal level, is damn near all of my family has served in the military. I served in the military. I've known a lot of people ranging back to our warriors from WW2 who have sacrificed so much for this nation. And I certainly won't be the one to let that sacrifice be in vain.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.” - General James Mattis

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    Oh, please This is just ridiculous and nothing more than you being overdramatic and trying to nationbash.
    truth hurts bro

10+ Year Old Account
    Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Solar System, Earth, European Union, Croatia
    Quote Originally Posted by Daws001 View Post
    Some Americans are patriotic. Some Americans aren't. Some Americans define patriotism one way. Some Americans define it another way. There are more intelligent ways to come at the question.
    How about this, every time someone says: "Americans are more patriotic,", you imagine instead: "Americans are statistically more patriotic". And then you can actually address the topic. Because Americans, statistically, are more patriotic.

Europeans are patriotic? Give ma fucking break. When someone says Europe, we are looking at good old nationalism. Not only that, it's also quite widespread. It is true that the patriotism practiced in Europe and West Asia, according to my experience, is much more healthy compared to the American "patriotism" (i.e., American nationalism), but it's quite rare especially in Europe, unfortunately.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    This is the only answer you need, really. It's just something they learn while growing up, from my limited experience.
    Quote Originally Posted by ItachiZaku View Post
    Brainwashing. Subliminal messages in the forced ads. It's in the water. It's in the computer/phone screens. You can't escape it.
    I didn't want to use that word, but that is how it seems to me. I may be wrong, but taking children who know no different and then getting them used to what appears to be "worshipping" a flag, its ideals and what it represents seems like brainwashing. It certainly does not happen in the UK, I have never seen examples in other countries (except highly religious countries but religion is another topic altogether). Maybe I'm wrong and other countries do this too?

Fuck America and fuck you too.

God bless America.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyrt View Post
    Because it's hammered into our skulls from a very, very young age.
    It has ramped up a ton since 9/11. Now every sporting event is like a mini 4th of July. I am a season ticket holder for the Arizona Cardinals, a few years ago once a year you would see the field size flag brought out and there was some sort of theme to it. Now it is every other game. I grew up with my father being an active duty Marine so I was around some of this as a kid. I can say living on the base as a child you were reminded less about the greatness of USA and they have Reveille every morning.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Quote Originally Posted by chrykoolaid View Post
    Because most yanks love to support war, atrocities such as mass genocide for natural resources such as oil, gas, diamonds etc while blaming others for their imperialism of playing world police
    Yep. Just now some states are turning Columbus Day, aka the figurehead for mass genocide, into Indigenous Peoples day... yet, celebrate as the Cleveland Niggers, oh, i mean Indians get to the World Series with these overly racist mascot. And nevermind the Washington Beaners football franchise. America loves being hypocritical.

People are patriotic when they have a reason to be, or a don't have a reason not to be. As George Carlin said "I was catholic, until the age of reason."

As a native american, you know when I "woke up" to this place... watching Young Guns. I saw the red white and blue and the bombs and thought it was all pretty cool. In Young Guns Chavez goes off on Billy and that's when I started paying attention, opened my eyes. As the Jewish motto states, Never Again. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0096487/...item=qt0346333

infracted - forbidden topics
    Last edited by Crissi; 2016-10-25 at 11:31 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.

Deleted
    Personally, I feel like most of it isn't actually patriotism at all, but rather shallow flag and uniform worship, and that's about the extent of it. Then again, I could be mistaken.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta333 View Post
    Sorry but the inventors of the sport called it soccer.

http://www.todayifoundout.com/index....e-word-soccer/

Again deal with it.
    To quote your linked article:

"Now British school boys of the day liked to nickname everything, which is still somewhat common. They also liked to add the ending “er” to these nicknames. Thus Rugby was, at that time, popularly called “Rugger”. Association Football was then much better known as “Assoccer”, which quickly just became “Soccer” and sometimes “Soccer Football”
    The inventor of the nickname is said to be Charles Wredford Brown, who was an Oxford student around the time of Association Football’s inception. Legend has it, in 1863 shortly after the creation of Association Football, Wredford-Brown had some friends who asked him if he’d come play a game of “Rugger”, to which he replied he preferred “Soccer”. Whether that story’s true or not, the name caught on from around that point on."

So pretty much what you linked says it was called Association Football until some bloke decided to call it soccer and it caught on, the guy did not invent the sport.

Quote Originally Posted by ItachiZaku View Post
    Yep. Just now some states are turning Columbus Day, aka the figurehead for mass genocide, into Indigenous Peoples day... yet, celebrate as the Cleveland Niggers, oh, i mean Indians get to the World Series with these overly racist mascot. And nevermind the Washington Beaners football franchise. America loves being hypocritical.

People are patriotic when they have a reason to be, or a don't have a reason not to be. As George Carlin said "I was catholic, until the age of reason."

As a native american, you know when I "woke up" to this place... watching Young Guns. I saw the red white and blue and the bombs and thought it was all pretty cool. In Young Guns Chavez goes off on Billy and that's when I started paying attention, opened my eyes. As the Jewish motto states, Never Again. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0096487/...item=qt0346333
    I love how people blame columbus for the biological murder of natives because of the disease he brought over.

Because yea he fucking intentionally did that.

I hate this world now.
    Dragonflight Summary, "Because friendship is magic"

The Japanese wins this hands down.

1 word.

Kamikaze.

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    The brits first called it soccer then changed to football later on. Its soccer, fucking deal with it.
    Someones salty over nothing. American football is handegg, fucking deal with it.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

Sorry but the inventors of the sport called it soccer.

http://www.todayifoundout.com/index....e-word-soccer/

Again deal with it.
    And said inventors then changed the name. By your own admission. Not to mention it being called Association Football prior to that. So how about you deal with it, instead of being inconsistent about when inventors of the sport matter.
    Last edited by Mehrunes; 2016-10-25 at 02:42 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    Does the CIA pay you for your bullshit or are you just bootlicking in your free time?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    I'm quite tired of people who dislike something/disagree with something while attacking/insulting anyone that disagrees. Its as if at some point, people forgot how opinions work.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyrt View Post
    Because it's hammered into our skulls from a very, very young age.
    This is probably closer to the truth than any of us can put into words.

As far as the OP's question, when you make a statement like "regardless of American's definition of patriotism," you're playing tennis without the net. It means something different to everyone.

I'm patriotic in the sense that I enjoy living where I live despite all the crazy politics and screwed up systems (healthcare, banking, education, probably just about every system). I think we have an inherent need to support where we grew up. This obviously extends to the military and other civil servants who sacrifice their time or even their lives to support our efforts (whether they believe in them or not).

10+ Year Old Account
    Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Solar System, Earth, European Union, Croatia
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoNineMarine View Post
    Plus all the battles the US has been in and the people we've helped throughout our time as a nation.

Our government has certainly fucked things up, no doubt about that, but the general premise remains the same.

We try and help others. Especially if their need is dire.
    God, this is such bullshit. I'm sorry, I'm not trying to be offensive to you, I rather like America, to be honest, but this is bullshit. America, whenever it fought on the good side, didn't do it because they were trying to help people. They did it to help themselves. Take WWII (your example). America joined the war because their allies were at war and because an undemocratic and totalitarian Europe wasn't a favorable option.

"We try and help others."?? You don't even help your own people. You leave those worst off among you at the mercy of ultracapitalism.

And your struggles at founding weren't unique. There have been thousands of revolutions in the history of mankind. And I'd add that this was a while ago. It's silly to be proud of something your ancestors did 250 years ago.