Legion may be my favorite expansion since Wrath, yet I can't bring myself to level...

I've always hated questing. Even back in Vanilla, I absolutely despised it, to the point I made my final two levels by going out to Felwood and just killing mobs in the northern area until I finally hit 60.

For some reason, Legion seems more painful than ever for me. Maybe it's because for the first time, I have a truly demanding job (50-60 hours a week; I'm grateful to have work, but it does leave me feeling exhausted afterward), or that most of my day is already spent at a desk (which is great, although I kind of miss the simplicity of physical labor sometimes). Or maybe I just hate questing so much, it's just finally caught up with me.

The shame is that, of the questing I've done, I actually *enjoy* a number of the areas. Azsuna probably stands out the most, as the quest-line with Runas was surprisingly well-done (that last moment with him... that one really got to me, man). I also enjoyed Hightotem, the small amount that I've done, and it's great seeing the Tauren get some attention (even though, why is it that these off-shoot Tauren are so much larger than the original race?).

Plus, while I get that some people aren't crazy about it (for understandable reasons), I really dig the Artifact system, and finally having truly legendary weapons at our disposal. Even though Death Knights totally got the shaft with Frostmourne (and losing 2hand Frost, my favorite playstyle).

And the music... Seriously Blizzard's best work since Burning Crusade. The music that plays around the Dragonflight/Nightfallen area in Azsuna was phenomenal, and definitely contributed to "mood" of the quests.

Still, I just can't bring myself to grind out the remaining levels to hit level-cap. With Karazhan -- my favorite Raid in the game -- being reintroduced as a max-level dungeon, I really *want* to hit max-level, but I just can't muster up the enthusiasm to just get in a level.

Anyone else just kind of wish they would get rid of "leveling", and just make everything about chasing better gear?

It does not sound like the game is for you.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Claymore View Post
    I've always hated questing. Even back in Vanilla, I absolutely despised it, to the point I made my final two levels by going out to Felwood and just killing mobs in the northern area until I finally hit 60.

For some reason, Legion seems more painful than ever for me. Maybe it's because for the first time, I have a truly demanding job (50-60 hours a week; I'm grateful to have work, but it does leave me feeling exhausted afterward), or that most of my day is already spent at a desk (which is great, although I kind of miss the simplicity of physical labor sometimes). Or maybe I just hate questing so much, it's just finally caught up with me.

The shame is that, of the questing I've done, I actually *enjoy* a number of the areas. Azsuna probably stands out the most, as the quest-line with Runas was surprisingly well-done (that last moment with him... that one really got to me, man). I also enjoyed Hightotem, the small amount that I've done, and it's great seeing the Tauren get some attention (even though, why is it that these off-shoot Tauren are so much larger than the original race?).

Plus, while I get that some people aren't crazy about it (for understandable reasons), I really dig the Artifact system, and finally having truly legendary weapons at our disposal. Even though Death Knights totally got the shaft with Frostmourne (and losing 2hand Frost, my favorite playstyle).

And the music... Seriously Blizzard's best work since Burning Crusade. The music that plays around the Dragonflight/Nightfallen area in Azsuna was phenomenal, and definitely contributed to "mood" of the quests.

Still, I just can't bring myself to grind out the remaining levels to hit level-cap. With Karazhan -- my favorite Raid in the game -- being reintroduced as a max-level dungeon, I really *want* to hit max-level, but I just can't muster up the enthusiasm to just get in a level.

Anyone else just kind of wish they would get rid of "leveling", and just make everything about chasing better gear?
    No I like leveling

7+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, i think that in all of WoWs content, the leveling experience is 45% of why i am playing the game. I think without it, i would jump ship very early in an expansion

I would love another MMO, which did not have leveling, but only gear. I think it is a great idea for a, just not WoW.
    May the lore be great and the stories interesting. A game without a story, is a game without a soul. Value the lore and it will reward you with fun!

Don't let yourself be satisfied with what you expect and what you seem as obvious. Ask for something good, surprising and better. Your own standards ends up being other peoples standard.

It's a shame they took away the ability to effectively level in dungeons.

15+ Year Old Account

When you're done questing to 110, then you gotta quest in Suramar (a shit ton of quests) and then profession quests, artifact quests, class hall quests....

I think numeric leveling of characters will go away in MMOGs before too long, but that doesn't mean you won't spend the same amount of time grinding / progressing to achieve the same things.

And in Legion this is almost the case already as your level number has almost no effect as all the content scales to your level.

If you don't enjoy questing and open-world play, then I'm not really sure what to suggest other than take it casually so you don't burn out from the feeling you need to power through it to reach a goal.

Getting to 110 takes a little time, but the progression is smooth and continuous, and the quests are at least as good as ever being quick and straightforward. And Rested state lets you take a couple days off without a big penalty.

Once you do get to 110, you can just get Artifact Knowledge research going and take things as slowly as you like. If you want to do serious raiding, then the 110 WQ grind for AP etc. can be way more work than leveling was.

Maybe pick up something totally different to alternate your gaming time with so that you get less burned out on doing the same thing all the time (playing a bit of Civ 6 here).

Get your head down and you could be 100-110 in 6-8 hours and then it's over for the whole expansion. Plenty of guides out there and even an addon made specifically for the legion leveling experience by Consequence which takes any real thought process out of it.
    There's also plenty of things you can do besides questing - normal dungeons and bgs both reward exp, albeit not as fast as questing.
    I myself have 5 110s ATM and feel the leveling experience is better than it's ever been.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by satimy View Post
    It's a shame they took away the ability to effectively level in dungeons.
    I actually agree with this myself, the illusion of choice as to how to level up felt awesome.

Currently I'm leveling my Holy Paladin so I can heal in a raid environment, so I am questing as Holy and spending AP in it as well, but its pretty slow and grindy to kill things, but I AM a healer..

BUT MAL JUST GO RET DUMMY

Ret is really gross feeling to me. I am not advocating that it change, I just personally don't like it. It feels good to hit TV and have it slam down and take half the mobs health away, but if your judgement timer isn't set up nicely then it does very low dmg. I want to smash him in the face, but if I order my abilities wrong I just feel weak. Maybe that's the warrior in me complaining that other specs have set-ups and intricacies to their kits and rotations, but I prefer to smash MF-ers.

The issue then is that the only DPS choice for Paladin is Ret, which I dislike. So I have to quest as Prot or Holy, and I want to be Holy in the end, so . . .

GREAT

So I get all my dmg moves and set up my spec specially so that its the best choices for leveling. Except that the whole reason I am leveling this paladin is so that I can heal raids. Because I want to heal raids. But in order to be able to heal raids, I have to bonk mobs on the head with crusader strike for 10 levels, to unlock healing raids.

I don't like that.

TOO BAD MAL REROLL NOOB LVLING DOESNT EVEN TAKE LONG PICK A DIF CLASS BADDIE

I play every class. Every class is at 100 except the few that I am spending time on now. DH, Pal, War, Hunter, and Shaman.

I hate that I must go through this weird DPS healer phase for 10 levels just to unlock the content that I want, that I want to practice with. My action bars are really bizarre to accommodate all my dps moves that I use. I want to be ready to heal and gear up, but I cant spend time practicing how to heal, because I have to bonk mobs with crusader strike.

Blegh.

Bring back dungeons for leveling please.

I want to use my 10 levels of 100-110 to practice and be ready for the content that I will be doing at max. If I want to be a tank, let me practice being a tank before max, same for healing, also same for dedicated PVE DPS, really.

Deleted
    I think that leveling on one character is OK, doing the Loremaster and such. But afterwards, things get stale, because you just repeat things over and over. With rested XP you can at least skip a chunk of quests you don't like, but not all. I would kill for the option to skip the Stormheim intro! This whole Sylvanas vs. Genn mess is boring me to tears. I would rather have had more quests about the whole nordic-inspired themes and this forced pvp excuse removed entirely from the game.

Especially for my healer and tank alts, leveling in dungeons would be my favorite approach, simply because these roles are only relevant in group play. But it's very ineffective now, which is one of the reasons I have not played these alts much.

Quote Originally Posted by scubistacy View Post
    I think that leveling on one character is OK, doing the Loremaster and such. But afterwards, things get stale, because you just repeat things over and over. With rested XP you can at least skip a chunk of quests you don't like, but not all. I would kill for the option to skip the Stormheim intro! This whole Sylvanas vs. Genn mess is boring me to tears. I would rather have had more quests about the whole nordic-inspired themes and this forced pvp excuse removed entirely from the game.

Especially for my healer and tank alts, leveling in dungeons would be my favorite approach, simply because these roles are only relevant in group play. But it's very ineffective now, which is one of the reasons I have not played these alts much.
    I've done 4 alts now, if you just stick to the pillars quest lines along with a couple of the zones with bars to fill you will run out of rested just as you level 110. This includes doing the dungeons for the pillars one time each as they give mass xp. (i also skipped the whole genn thing from the flightpath in the east onward)

It was fun doing it all once but on my other three characters I only did the main quest in the zone, with rested bonus that easily gets you to max though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Maletalana View Post
    I actually agree with this myself, the illusion of choice as to how to level up felt awesome.

Currently I'm leveling my Holy Paladin so I can heal in a raid environment, so I am questing as Holy and spending AP in it as well, but its pretty slow and grindy to kill things, but I AM a healer..

Ret is really gross feeling to me. I am not advocating that it change, I just personally don't like it. It feels good to hit TV and have it slam down and take half the mobs health away, but if your judgement timer isn't set up nicely then it does very low dmg. I want to smash him in the face, but if I order my abilities wrong I just feel weak. Maybe that's the warrior in me complaining that other specs have set-ups and intricacies to their kits and rotations, but I prefer to smash MF-ers.

The issue then is that the only DPS choice for Paladin is Ret, which I dislike. So I have to quest as Prot or Holy, and I want to be Holy in the end, so . . .

GREAT

So I get all my dmg moves and set up my spec specially so that its the best choices for leveling. Except that the whole reason I am leveling this paladin is so that I can heal raids. Because I want to heal raids. But in order to be able to heal raids, I have to bonk mobs on the head with crusader strike for 10 levels, to unlock healing raids.

I don't like that.

I play every class. Every class is at 100 except the few that I am spending time on now. DH, Pal, War, Hunter, and Shaman.

I hate that I must go through this weird DPS healer phase for 10 levels just to unlock the content that I want, that I want to practice with. My action bars are really bizarre to accommodate all my dps moves that I use. I want to be ready to heal and gear up, but I cant spend time practicing how to heal, because I have to bonk mobs with crusader strike.

Blegh.

I want to use my 10 levels of 100-110 to practice and be ready for the content that I will be doing at max. If I want to be a tank, let me practice being a tank before max, same for healing, also same for dedicated PVE DPS, really.
    That's the problem with Ret leveling, a spec which I feel is very gear dependent to effectively deal damage. Granted that annoyance is now over & I'm breezing through killing stuff, thanks to the latest "balance" changes, level 100-110 was a pain in the ass at the very start of legion.

You don't have to level in a different spec if you don't want to, I know of Holy Paladin leveling 100-110 as heals (basically pull larger packs, consecrate everything, keep yourself up, kinda reminds me of the Shockadin spec I played throughout TBC). The only spec I know that is really have trouble leveling as their main specs are Holy Priests.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...trife/advanced
    WoW: Winterstrife, Level 120 Human Paladin | ESO: Strife Valor, CP 610 Dunmer Magblade | GW2: Inquisitor Strife, Level 80 Human Renegede.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterstrife View Post
    That's the problem with Ret leveling, a spec which I feel is very gear dependent to effectively deal damage. Granted that annoyance is now over & I'm breezing through killing stuff, thanks to the latest "balance" changes, level 100-110 was a pain in the ass at the very start of legion.

You don't have to level in a different spec if you don't want to, I know of Holy Paladin leveling 100-110 as heals (basically pull larger packs, consecrate everything, keep yourself up, kinda reminds me of the Shockadin spec I played throughout TBC). The only spec I know that is really have trouble leveling as their main specs are Holy Priests.
    Yeah I mean, Ret feels wayyyy too familiar to Arms warrior, ever since Cata and the introduction of Colossus Smash, you now just sit around and build up for "windows" of heavy damage. That feels awesome in pvp, both to do it and to prepare against it, but it sucks huge ass for leveling. I sit there on a mob, smacking helplessly and his health doesn't move, then finally I get all my rage and abilities ready, open up the window, and let out a devastating mortal strike / execute, and smash him for half his health.

Except for when theres 2 mobs.

THen I just tab and wait some more. If I am a warrior, I don't want to feel like legitimate downtime is a part of my kit, even though, realistically, there is. Youre supposed to use Slam as a filler, maybe some whirlwind and cleave mixed in, and the occasional 30 / 45 / 60 sec cd ability. But if those "fillers" do hardly anything, I don't feel motivated to use them.

BUT MAL THE WINDOW WONT HAVE ANY MEANING IF YOUR FILLER ISNT CRAP

that's fine, and the thing with warrior, is that when I get sick of waiting around for those critically important windows, I can just go fury and smash.

Do you know fury's rotation? Raging Blow, Bloodthirst, *variable*, repeat. the variable is either a filler, a cd, execute, or whatever. your rotation is 3 abilities. 1,2,3, 1,2,3, 1,2,3 dead.

It's oddly entertaining, and I love it.

Paladin has no option besides Ret.

WAHHHH /RANTOVER

Edit: Regarding waiting for CS windows as arms, if I use Mortal Strike NOT during CS, it is more or less "wasted", which feels legit horrible.

Some one on the official forums stated this about legion. "Legion is like a really great meal that they then covered in way too much tomato sauce." It had so much promise but like WOD, who also had so much promise, it is all the small stupid things that prevents the expansion from really shining.
    Non nobis Domine, non nobis, sed nomini tuo da gloriam

10+ Year Old Account
    The only zone I really have issues leveling through is Highmountain; it typically takes until the questline branches out to the Skytalons and Bloodtotems for Highmountain to 'click' with me and really get fun. I adore the other three zones, though the typical Alliance-Horde side-story in Stormheim feels like a whole lot of plot-forced stupidity for everyone involved (Really, Admiral Rogers? The Aegis we came to secure as a tool against the Burning Legion's latest attempt to wipe out our world after they wrecked us at the Tomb of Sargeras can wait because you and Greymane have a hardon for killin' Horde and drafted me into it?).
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

I always wish that the leveling would take much, much longer. Like a few months instead of a few days (if you take it slow, 110 was doable in like... 1 and a half day?).

Edit: Also I mean "real" leveling, where getting a level matters and not legion leveling where you could also have just 1 level because it makse no difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Maletalana View Post

GREAT

I don't like that.

Blegh.

Why do you have to level as DPS. Prot leveling is fast and easy.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lioo View Post
    Why do you have to level as DPS. Prot leveling is fast and easy.
    I will play with prot leveling when I get home tonight, but from what I remember around lvls 100-103, it was dreadfully slow. Sure, I can pull 6 mobs, but I just sit there slowly aoe them down after 30 or 45 seconds.

Edit: I am 107 now. ALMOST DONE

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Thage View Post
    The only zone I really have issues leveling through is Highmountain; it typically takes until the questline branches out to the Skytalons and Bloodtotems for Highmountain to 'click' with me and really get fun. I adore the other three zones, though the typical Alliance-Horde side-story in Stormheim feels like a whole lot of plot-forced stupidity for everyone involved (Really, Admiral Rogers? The Aegis we came to secure as a tool against the Burning Legion's latest attempt to wipe out our world after they wrecked us at the Tomb of Sargeras can wait because you and Greymane have a hardon for killin' Horde and drafted me into it?).
    I agree, the Tauren are an awesome awesome race, but as a Nelf Demon Hunter, I don't get a rat's behind about them. If I roll a Tauren Shaman, hell yeah, zone catered for me! But im not that. On any alts. Actually, seriously, I haven't even finished Highmountain, on any characters, even my main. It's too boring.

Why are the drogbar only there?

MAL THATS WHERE THEY LIVE

But clearly its somewhat of a land dispute between them and the highmountain, why don't they spill over into Stormheim or Valsharah?

Theres clearly plenty of empty space on both zones, where theres blank wilderness. Sure, the Skyfire crashes into the mountain in Stormehiem to begin Ally's zone there, but why didn't the Drogbar advance into that area already, before we arrived? There are no Vrykul in that area.

STORYTELLING

Ok cool. That's fine, really. My issues with how boring Highmountain is are still unresolved, but whatever.

BUT MAL THE FELTOTEM

I just. don't care.

That zone seems about as cool and important as like, Desolace, or Winterspring.

Not me. The questing/leveling content is the only reason I buy expansions.

My only suggestions would be to do the class hall XP missions whenever they pop up as well as any bonus objectives you can find. Many of them are locked behind quests, but they give ~48k EXP.
    "We must now recognize that the greatest threat of freedom for us all is if we go back to eating ourselves out from within." - John Anderson