Page 5 of 26 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Allybeboba View Post

The real question should be is why aren't other countries as patriotic as the US?
    Less state propaganda is needed because other countries aren't constantly going to war and as such don't need as many people to come die for nothing.

Why are American's so partriotic?

1. Back to back World War champs

2. Moon landing

3. One of the biggest economies in the world

4. It's a big country. Great for small penis compensation.

5. Probably the most powerful military in the world. Does that really do anything for any individual? Not really. But it's fun to say "my dad could beat up your dad."

6. George motherfuckin Washington

7. Freedom and democracy

8. America was built by Americans, for Americans

I could go on and on, but ultimately I think the biggest reason people are patriotic in this country is because it's their home.

I think the real question is why aren't people from other countries more patriotic? I mean look at the UK for example. They have some of the oldest colleges in existence and a very rich history. Plus Winston Churchill was such a bad ass. Look at Australia. Their country was originally a giant prison. They're basically all descendants of some of the toughest, most bad ass people to have ever lived. Plus they've got wolverine. And the list goes on...

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta333 View Post
    The brits first called it soccer then changed to football later on. Its soccer, fucking deal with it.
    For 316 million people it's soccer, for the rest of the 7,2 billion people on Earth ist's football. Now go and play some handegg and fucking deal with it.

The real question should be is why aren't other countries as patriotic as the US?
    That's probably a better question.

7+ Year Old Account
    Ah the glorious moon landing which was only possible with the help of the german engineers who had functional rockets and the expertice.
    And america was build by people who left europe soo...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Moxal View Post
    I'm confused. Is this thread born from genuine curiosity or a desire to mock Americans? Because from the replies to this point it certainly seems to be the latter.
    It's genuine curiosity, as with most countries, there are many ways to mock them if I wanted to. Personally, if I wanted to Mock Americans I would have started a thread regarding the fact that Donald Trump is an actual Presidential Candidate which was made possible because so many people are backing him.

Quote Originally Posted by -Nurot View Post
    It depends on where you live, and how you were raised and the school system you are in. There has been cases where children were punished for not standing for the pledge in class.

Some school systems even say it daily even at the high school level.

Considering our pledge of allegiance was created in the 1980s because it was felt by some that patriotism was low. It even included a salute to the flag instead of the hand over the heart, but that changed after world war 2 because they didn't wan't it to be confused with the Nazi salute.

Even a flag made in China is considered sacred to some. The irony is, even some, that don't trust the government, would rather see it burn, and foam at the mouth when their political party isn't in power and hate everything one might ascribe as American still wave it around and consider themselves patriotic.

There's definitely a portion of people who, it has less to do with pride in one's country and more of - I am better than you, and what I believe in is more important that what you believe in and is the right way and that's what this flag means.

Also in some circles, even Chinese made flags are not allowed to touch the ground. No part of the flag should be worn. Flags cannot be discarded if faded or torn, but must be disposed, in a flag ceremony.

So in recap, many here believe the flag is just a flag, but to some it's akin to a holy relic, and others have attached their own personal values to it, so no matter how good/bad those ideals may be anything they perceive as incorrect done to or with the flag, personally offends them.
    This is what I mean, I cant think if any other nation that that teaches its children these sorts of things from a young age. I really wish I could understand the importance of the flag on such a level that it has all these rules revolving around it.

Quote Originally Posted by javen View Post
    American exceptionalism is definitely a pervasive thing, and one that's started at a very young age. When learning about WW2 for example, 90% of the base cirriculum is centered around Pearl Harbor, and the invasion at Normandy and its direct effects. Very little is said about the Russians stopping the Nazis on the Eastern front, or the French resistance following the occupation of Paris. It's completely centered around America's involvement.

The reason it's so widespread is that unless you specifically seek out additional knowledge yourself, especially the atrocities that America has committed, you'd never really know about them. Our horrible and completely inhumane treatment of native americans and african slaves is never, ever brought up in our public school system, and I imagine any teacher who tried to give a historically accurate lesson on the subject would very quickly be shown the door.

This in turn breeds the notion that America is perfect, and thus nothing about it needs to change. If you already believe the United States is the "best" then changing anything about it could put that at risk. But that's not patriotism, that's just nationalism. With patriotism, you can love something, and still recognize that it's fundamentally broken in many ways and want to fix it. In fact, many of the problems the US faces today are directly due to the fact that they've been completely ignored and allowed to fester and spread.
    This just reminds me of Tiananmen square and how it was never discussed in China, apparently there are still a lot of citizens in China that don't know about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta333 View Post
    The brits first called it soccer then changed to football later on. Its soccer, fucking deal with it.
    Everone else calls it football. You need to deal with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Tabrotar View Post
    Just google "Agent Orange" and see why american patriotism is bad.
    The effects are still visible ( even on the american soldiers which came in contact with it and their kids) but nobody talks about it any more because it´s "a war best be forgotten".
    the doctors attribute my uncles multiple brain tumors that killed him over the course of a decade due to his exposure to agent orange when he was in Vietnam. it was a pretty awful experience for the whole family, he was in his early 60s and otherwise perfectly healthy. the government really screwed its citizens in vietnam.

I think simply the patriotism started because america beat the british. America was founded by all the wackos europe didnt want anyway. I blame the puritans. it led to this "we work harder" "we are right" "we are the best" mentality that was greatly enhanced by WW2 and the indoctrination of the baby boomer generation that has run our country and continued the practice of patriotism for the last 40 years.

I like being an american, it affords me many opportunities, but i'm positive id be happy in many other parts of the world as well with the same or different opportunities. everyone gets too caught up in this kinda shit.
    Last edited by Ornerybear; 2016-10-25 at 03:20 PM.

Um, the US didn't do that much in WW1. Most of the fighting was the French.

10+ Year Old Account
    The line of patriotism and nationalism is severely blurred in the US.
    A lot of Americans are in the latter camp. Which leads to another phenomenon, not addressed here so far.
    I've some friends who do in fact struggle with self identification as Americans. They see all the nationalism going on around them, and don't want to have anything to do with it. They oppose the country's military engagements and expansions. I've had quite some interesting and deep conversations frequently about that problem.
    Me, the observer, who opposes that exaggeration of patriotism already, having to counsel friends to not give up on their country, and develop some pride without forgetting the humble part. Because, as far as I can tell, that's where the root of the situation lies.
    America struggles with humble feelings.
    It's the greatest <insert any term/definition>, and that starts at school already. At some point, a person forgets how to humble themselves.
    Not all Americans, as above indicated. But a damn lot show that deficit.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Quote Originally Posted by Docturphil View Post
    Why are American's so partriotic?

This one always makes me laugh.

7. Freedom and democracy
    The freedom to pick a turd sandwich or a giant douche for president.

Quote Originally Posted by Gilrak View Post
    Because they do not have the need to feel superior to everybody else for no reason.
    Shouldn't everyone be proud of where they live? Or are some people ashamed?

Because we are the best. Its obvious. Other countries, especially those in europe, can't help but talk abt us. They cry and post a few stats that make us look bad, but unless theyve lived here for a while, they have no idea how great life is here.

10+ Year Old Account
    Shouldn't everyone be proud of where they live? Or are some people ashamed?
    Not feeling superior is not the same as being ashamed.

10+ Year Old Account
    I love being a American but I will not lay down my life for it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ellieg View Post
    Because we are the best. Its obvious. Other countries, especially those in europe, can't help but talk abt us. They cry and post a few stats that make us look bad, but unless theyve lived here for a while, they have no idea how great life is here.
    *Unless you're poor

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ornerybear View Post
    the doctors attribute my uncles multiple brain tumors that killed him over the course of a decade due to his exposure to agent orange when he was in Vietnam. it was a pretty awful experience for the whole family, he was in his early 60s and otherwise perfectly healthy. the government really screwed its citizens in vietnam.

I think simply the patriotism started because america beat the british. America was founded by all the wackos europe didnt want anyway. I blame the puritans. it led to this "we work harder" "we are right" "we are the best" mentality that was greatly enhanced by WW2 and the indoctrination of the baby boomer generation that has run our country and continued the practice of patriotism for the last 40 years.
    Sorry to hear that. Did your family at least got some sort of compensation?

Quote Originally Posted by Tabrotar View Post
    Sorry to hear that. Did your family at least got some sort of compensation?
    I do believe my aunt (his wife) did receive something from the VA because they were the ones who diagnosed the cause being agent orange. I'm sure it wasn't much, she still lost their beautiful home and all their nice things (like both their cars) to pay for medical bills and end of life care.

Well, it was actually called Association football first, then Soccer for short. And the wheel spins....

Quote Originally Posted by Ikarun View Post

This just reminds me of Tiananmen square and how it was never discussed in China, apparently there are still a lot of citizens in China that don't know about it.
    It a pretty safe bet that many here do not know about the Tiananmen Square even without looking it up.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gilrak View Post
    Not feeling superior is not the same as being ashamed.
    The opposite of superior is?