Page 8 of 26 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilrak View Post
    The poorest among you are the homeless, they don't have houses.
    Most homeless are there because of addiction or severe mental issues. For the addicts, the social safety net is there for these people, but they limit their access, and the benefit they could enjoy by continuing to abuse substances. For the insane. we used to have institutions for these people, but because of poor practices, mistreatment, and bad management they were shut down and the patients were left to themselves. Sad really.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeta333 View Post
    The brits first called it soccer then changed to football later on. Its soccer, fucking deal with it.
    It's football.

Deleted
    Because we're awesome and we know it.

Quote Originally Posted by TwoNineMarine View Post
    And at times there is nothing wrong with retaliation. People deserve it.

And yes 2400 or so people died there but if our carriers had been there, as Japan had hoped, then our west coast would have been incredibly venerable to a Japanese beach landing.

Luckily for us it didn't work out that way.

The bombs were used as a deterrent. To dissuade Japan from forcing us to launch an air and ground attack on their mainland. More people on both sides would have died as a result. Not to mention greater damage to Japan as a whole. They lost two cities, which is incredibly tragic, but I think it's better then having fighting spread across the entire nation.

Either way it was shitty. But we didn't start it.

And yes Italy and Germany declared war on us but that really didn't mean shit. Eventually they could have possibly attacked us I suppose. But that would have been after destroying the Brits (which wouldn't have been easy at all. The Brits back then were some tough mother fuckers), stopping the French Resistance, and shutting down the Russians. Because Hitler still would have attacked them. He was too arrogant and prideful to want such a powerful entity on his backside.

So the chances of Germany/Italy launching any major offensive against the American mainland would have been years, perhaps decades, down the road. If ever.
    What he doesn't realize is that more Japanese died in the Tokyo Fire bombings than from Little Man and Big Boy. Before Pearl Harbor the US practiced isolationism. But Japan had to wake the sleeping lion.
    The emperor had already ordered all its citizens to fight to the death. With sticks if need be.
    Last edited by Allybeboba; 2016-10-25 at 04:11 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Allybeboba View Post
    What he doesn't realize is that more Japanese died in the Tokyo Fire bombings than from Little Man and Big Boy. Before Pearl Harbor the US practices isolationism. But Japan had to wake the sleeping lion.
    We literally wanted nothing to do with it. But we also wouldn't take a hit like that sitting down.

Overall it was a shitty situation and the innocent are the ones who suffer when "leaders" think they can take shit that isn't theirs.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.” - General James Mattis

Soccer in South Africa and Australia too. It was the English who brought the language there so don't blame the US
    Epics for show, Greens for the pro

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm patriotic because I understand the purpose of it. The purpose of nationality and unity. It isn't meant to be some blind chant we just yell: "USA! USA! USA!" but it does more or less follow the same pattern as chanting for a favorite sports team, or someone in the Olympics. There's a harmful kind of pride, and then their is a binding sort of pride. We are patriotic because we are the pinnacle of civilization on Earth. And I'm not going to soften that up for you if you're non American because for all the little technicalities you'll point out, it won't change the fact. Why else are we patriotic? Well, up until this point, we'd won nearly every war we entered and we sacrificed hundreds of thousands of lives since our relatively not-so-long-ago inception.
    It all stems from the War of Independence, to be honest. We are the way we are because it's that defiant spirit that keeps the people wanting the power and actively seeking to play a part in government, instead of the other way around.
    It's pronounced "Dur-av-ian."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Allybeboba View Post
    I don't know what your country is, I know that the U.S. is the oldest country with a continuous government. And that is a big deal.
    Whats the Source of this? I ask as the UK has had a continuous government since 1649 unless you count the the act of union in 1707, but that's still older than the US government.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by McFuu View Post
    Poor people can afford chicken and vegetables. Just because they choose to fill their pantry with fruit roll ups and waste their time at McDonald's doesn't mean they can't afford to not eat well. This whole passing the buck bs needs to stop.

Just looking up the amounts for households for the Snap card (ebt), my girlfriend and I eat on less than what the snap card provides.
    He indicated that being obese is a sign of decent living standard/quality. And that is factually false.
    Being poor doesn't mean you're skinny because you lack enough food.
    The determining factor is the proper nutrition balance. Which, would, point and fact, also be bad if you had chicken and veggies daily.
    Proper balance comes from a whole variety of foods PLUS, as I pointed out, enough exercise.
    If you don't work you naturally don't move enough. Not as much as someone who does work, and doesn't have some kind of desk job where they sit for 8 hours.

Here's some info:
    http://frac.org/initiatives/hunger-a...ht-or-obesity/
    http://diabetes.diabetesjournals.org/content/60/11/2667
    http://www.scholarsstrategynetwork.o...-long-problems

That's just 3 sources of plenty...
    It's not a topic that's not researched. On the contrary, it's studied for decades.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

I think a better question is why are people so offended and triggered by nationalism? Property rights, a right to defend yourself against tyranny, and government being servants of the people not the other way around is pretty appealing. Obviously it doesn't always work that way in practice, but it ties us together, and it's something to strive for. Trump wants to put term limits on congress and senate and prevent foreign lobbying. This is a step in the right direction. I know people think only racists like Trump, but a return to public servants instead of corporate servants would be amazing.
    Last edited by keyblade01; 2016-10-25 at 04:25 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by keyblade01 View Post
    I think a better question is why are people so offended and triggered by nationalism?
    You really ask that question?

Nationalism is responsible for every single war in human history.

Property rights, a right to defend yourself against tyranny, and government being servants of the people not the other way around is pretty appealing. Obviously it doesn't always work that way in practice, but it ties us together, and it's something to strive for.
    That all has nothing to do with nationalism.
    You might want to brush up on the definition.

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ikarun View Post
    Whats the Source of this? I ask as the UK has had a continuous government since 1649 unless you count the the act of union in 1707, but that's still older than the US government.
    Plenty of countries have had a continuous government longer than the US. Every time an American brings up the "America is the oldest country" bullshit it's always using a different definition to fit their needs. Hell I've had one person tell use the "border changes" as a definition for when a country is born. Completely ignoring the fact that the US border has changed as recently 1959.
    Last edited by Tyrianth; 2016-10-25 at 04:35 PM.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    He indicated that being obese is a sign of decent living standard/quality. And that is factually false.
    The determining factor is the proper nutrition balance. Which, would, point and fact, also be bad if you had chicken and veggies daily.
    Proper balance comes from a whole variety of foods PLUS, as I pointed out, enough exercise.
    If you don't work you naturally don't move enough. Not as much as someone who does work, and doesn't have some kind of desk job where they sit for 8 hours.

Here's some info:

It's not a topic that's not researched. On the contrary, it's studied for decades.
    In what way did I indicate being obese is a measure of high quality living?

I compared our poor, who have an abundance of food such that many are obese... To the actual poor of most of the world who have literally no food and are starving.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post
    In what way did I indicate being obese is a measure of high quality living?

I compared our poor, who have an abundance of food such that many are obese... To the actual poor of most of the world who have literally no food and are starving.
    You just answered and confirmed your own question.
    An abundance of food is a clear measure of high living quality society.
    That does still not mean though, that all people in such society are properly supplied with food on a daily basis.
    Some approximately 20% of the US children live in food insecurity. Less in some states, more in others.
    Means, for them it isn't certain that their next meal is secured. There might or might not be one.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post

Here's some info:

I was more concerned with your insistence that " they can't afford good food." which is bs. Even the studies that you linked skirt the issue. The first one states obesity facts, the second states the facts and posts theories on causes. The third does the same, but doesn't draw a clear conclusion. These are likely factors that all point to personal choice. The funds provided by the snap card are more than enough to live healthily off of. But the receiver of those benefits is not actually making wise choices with the money.

Nationalism is a hell of a drug.

People have a preference for their homeland, I doubt us Americans are alone in that regard. Patriotism starts to look like an issue when people have blind opinions about their country. When someone claims their country is "the best" and believe it to be more fact than opinion, it quickly becomes zealotry.

The kind of patriotism I take seriously are from those who actually contribute to change or maintain the government. It could be ballot counters, politicians, military, or a police officer. They are doing something instead of just waving a flag round.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kail View Post
    When someone claims their country is "the best" and believe it to be more fact than opinion, it quickly becomes zealotry.
    A lot of Americans online (definitely not representative of the general population) believe just that though, which is probably what spurred this thread in the first place.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

I like my country (USA)... if that makes me patriotic. Then so be it. My husband is also in the Navy. I'm guessing that also shows a bit of patriotism. Motives were healthcare, not for the country though. And he's excelling in his field, and loves his work. It makes me proud of HIM. Not the US. If anything... how the Navy treats their sailors (not just this command in particular)... it makes me resent them.

I do have an eagle thing portrayed on the hood of my car with my Mandalorian, Republic, and Empire emblems. But that's it. Ironically... we're not allowed to fly flags on base housing :P
    Last edited by Felicia; 2016-10-25 at 05:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    San Marino.
    Their constitution is also older.
    Occupied in 1944. Thus its government is not continuous. Nice try though.