Poll: should i

Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TheramoreIsTheBomb View Post
    should i go vegan? ive heard theres a lot of nasty things they put in our meat today, and the farm animals are treated unethical.

a few years ago i watched this video called food inc. its pretty disturbing on how they treat the animals
    i also had watched a video on mcdonalds on how they make their food, i have never ate at mccdonalds since. its disgusting.
    theres also the point where SOME meat isn't even MEAT. /vomits
    You know what? I've seen one of those nat geo wild shows. It showed a hyena chasing an ox for a day while biting at it's hindquarters. After a day the ox couldn't move anymore and the hyena started eating it while it was alive and too exhausted to do anything about it.
    It seems that only recently have people started caring about so called "ethical treatment" of animals. Nature is cruel, mate.

On another note: you can always find a butcher who kills his own livestock. I have my own and I KNOW what I'm getting. It helps a ton. It's not even that expensive.
    And even though it's reached new heights, I rather like the restless nights. It makes me wonder, makes me think there's more to this, I'm on the brink. It's not the fear of what's beyond, it's just that I might not respond! I have an interest, almost craving, would I like to get to far in?!

Quote Originally Posted by Pendra View Post
    I don't see the issue. Even IF you go into eating meat, steak is probably among the least appealing types.
    Yeah, I mean...one of the first pics on google:

Just looks gross. I wouldn't want to go near that, no matter how it's cooked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

This might be the worst possible place you could have gone to for dietary advice.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodakane View Post
    No. There is no environmental impact from growing crops for human food that doesn't also pertain to growing crops for livestock. A cow eats 24 lbs a day for about 2 years, which produces only 500lbs of meat. That means the amount of crops grown to feed to livestock far outweighs the crops grown for humans. Then on top of that, you have all the pollution from livestock themselves. That's not up in the air/ambiguous/unknown/unsettled/etc.

There is absolutely a dichotomy. You are ok with animals dying (and living horribly) for your enjoyment. That is literally no different than someone being ok with dog fighting. They are both the EXACT same thing, as both justify the killing (and worse) of animals for enjoyment.
    When it comes to how much a cow eats, you have absolutely no idea about the ramifications of what you're saying.

Second: are you seriously comparing a swift death to dog fighting? Like, seriously?
    And even though it's reached new heights, I rather like the restless nights. It makes me wonder, makes me think there's more to this, I'm on the brink. It's not the fear of what's beyond, it's just that I might not respond! I have an interest, almost craving, would I like to get to far in?!

Quote Originally Posted by Linadra View Post
    Yeah, I mean...one of the first pics on google:

Just looks gross. I wouldn't want to go near that, no matter how it's cooked.

Jeez. At least post a picture where it's been cooked and seasoned.

Quote Originally Posted by FrankLampard View Post
    Sorry, no I don't eat meat like that.

If I wanted something that feels like chewing gum in my mouth, I'd just buy chewing gum.

Quote Originally Posted by vep View Post
    When it comes to how much a cow eats, you have absolutely no idea about the ramifications of what you're saying.

Second: are you seriously comparing a swift death to dog fighting? Like, seriously?
    First...what?
    Second...what swift death are you talking about? I don't think you've done any research on factory farms.
    "When Facism comes to America, it will be wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross." - Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Linadra View Post
    Sorry, no I don't eat meat like that.
    Would you cook it for your boyfriend though?

Quote Originally Posted by FrankLampard View Post
    Would you cook it for your boyfriend though?
    She can cook her own, or teach me how to cook one to her preference, since I have no clue how. Why not? I don't need to eat everything I make.

10+ Year Old Account
    First...what?
    Second...what swift death are you talking about? I don't think you've done any research on factory farms.
    First: exactly.
    Second: I haven't. But you mean to tell me they mutilate cows in factories, let them recuperate and mutilate them again?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by djar View Post
    1. myth myth myth myth. It's not expensive to eat a proper vegan diet. In fact meat is usually the expensive thing in our groceries, at least where I live. Eating a healthy vegan diet is cheaper in most cases. Eating vegan doesn't imply buying all fancy organic. Also "free range" means absolutely nothing, it's just a label, see this
    It CAN mean something. You just have to research where the meat is sourced. Yes the label can be abused and likely is in some cases, but there ARE true free range farms. I get my meat from one directly

Why are you asking strangers to make a life decision for you? Do whatever you like, no one cares.

10+ Year Old Account

I'm expecting a lot of "vegans are malnourished", "no reason to go vegan", "meat is perfectly healthy", "they're animals bro who cares", "it's natural to eat meat" and so on in this thread, I don't want to argue for days as to why those are stupid arguments, I'll just leave this links so you can do your own research. The evidence is there that vegan diets offer health benefits, that vegan diets are better for the environment, and that it is ethically better (guess it's subjective... but not really honestly). I just think it's a better diet overall, there aren't many arguments against it other than "I like the taste of my bacon", which I guess is valid. Too many people come up with the dumbest arguments to feel better, some people even say plants also are sentient and conscious beings lol. I mean even the myth that you need meat to become strong etc have been debunked, just look at some vegan bodybuilders, strongmen etc... Jon Venus on youtube for example.
    Most vegan diets may be healthy, but they dont taste good. When you remove anything that adds good flavor or texture (fats from animals, meat, things like gelatin that are derived from animals, eggs, etc...) youre left with beans for protein which make you fart all day, and dishes made from vegetables which dont have good texture and are lacking in flavor. I guess if you want to live eating stuff that doesnt taste good just so you can sit on your high horse, then by all means, go ahead and do so

First: exactly.
    Second: I haven't. But you mean to tell me they mutilate cows in factories, let them recuperate and mutilate them again?
    Don't be a douche I wasn't rude to you. Your first argument about what I said didn't make sense. You should clarify what you meant.

#2, again, you admit your ignorance then double down. Do you think all the animals you eat live in open and green pasture frolicking all day? Then all of a sudden get a single painless and quick shot to the head? I'm trying to let you not look foolish here by giving you time to look into some of this.
    "When Facism comes to America, it will be wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross." - Unknown

10+ Year Old Account
    Don't be a douche I wasn't rude to you. Your first argument about what I said didn't make sense. You should clarify what you meant.

#2, again, you admit your ignorance then double down. Do you think all the animals you eat live in open and green pasture frolicking all day? Then all of a sudden get a single painless and quick shot to the head? I'm trying to let you not look foolish here by giving you time to look into some of this.
    And the vegetables you eat are kept in confined spaces, fed chemicals and ripped out of the ground before they reach maturity!
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

Quote Originally Posted by Kujako View Post
    And the vegetables you eat are kept in confined spaces, fed chemicals and ripped out of the ground before they reach maturity!
    What did I say to you to deserve that kind of douchey remark?

But fine, I would assume in your world no animal is more important than any plant?

10+ Year Old Account

Right, well, you mentioned cows eating crops. Cows don't eat crops. Cows eat mostly grass and hay. Grass grows on farmers fields and when cut down is turned into hay. Do you see what I'm trying to say now? People don't usually grow crops and "waste" them on cows.

Second: yes, my food does live on a green pasture. That's because I know precisely who I'm buying from and what I'm buying. Hell, I sometimes even get to pick a cow.
    Second part two: I didn't mention living conditions in factories. I just mentioned your comparison between cow farms and dog fights. Which is absurd.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well vegetables don't make up the bulk of my calories, I don't eat 1500 calories of brocoli a day. Most of it comes from stuff like rice, lentils, beans, almond milk, etc. stuff that is dense in calories. Lentils/rice/beans are cheap as hell. Of course the vegetables are expensive but I don't eat 1500 calories worth of them. I guess it's debatable really depending on what your specific diet consists of, but saying vegan diets are expensive is wrong imo.
    You also cant say all vegan diets are healthy. You can eat a box of spaghetti and a jar of sauce for about 4 bucks but it certainly isnt healthy although its vegan. You could also eat a 3 pound bag of potato chips (crisps in Europe) fried in vegetable oil instead of lard and get about 7200 calories from it. All vegan

- - - Updated - - -

Stop.

You're absolutely misrepresenting the argument based on false equivalences and frankly a severe lack of information.

Number 1: Ethical vegans have a single rule, do the least amount of harm possible.
    Number 2: There is no correlation between microorganisms lives and animal lives. You are equating two dissimilar things. Its even more of difference than me saying you don't want a member of your family killed therefore you should not want Hitler killed, they're both people, after all.
    Number 3: And I don't know why this has to keep getting reexplained, but animals are killed to grow food for livestock as well. So this is real simple math, if X= animals killed to grow crops, then which is doing the least amount of harm:

15 billion animals slaughtered directly for food + X killed in the process of growing crops

or

X
    And if nobody ate beef, what would the cows do? They would probably go extinct as they couldnt survive in the wild. They were bred for the sole purpose of becoming food for humans. There never were Black Angus steers in the wild ever, nor were there Guernsey cows. So do you want to make animals go extinct? or should we only keep them in zoos, which is cruel

Right, well, you mentioned cows eating crops. Cows don't eat crops. Cows eat mostly grass and hay. Grass grows on farmers fields and when cut down is turned into hay. Do you see what I'm trying to say now? People don't usually grow crops and "waste" them on cows.
    Ok, now I understand what your point was.

However, its wrong. Do you think the process for clearing the land to grow grass is different then clearing it for crops? Do you think less animals are killed in mowing that down for hay then cultivating the crops? Do you think all or even most cows are fed this way? What about pigs, chickens, turkey, goats, sheep, etc.?

Second: yes, my food does live on a green pasture. That's because I know precisely who I'm buying from and what I'm buying. Hell, I sometimes even get to pick a cow.
    Second part two: I didn't mention living conditions in factories. I just mentioned your comparison between cow farms and dog fights. Which is absurd.
    Ok, so the only food you eat, you pick form that farm? You never go to a restaurant? You never buy packaged stuff that has ingredients you don't think of? I ask, because I keep getting told that by people like you, over and over and over, and none of them ever seem to fess up to the truth. But ok, fine, I'll stipulate, you're that one of like 1,000 people in the modern world that do that. Do you think that's the trend then or do you not even acknowledge the existence of factory farms?

I'm confused again. You mention dogs fighting then healing, then fighting again but then say you're not talking about living conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    Most vegan diets may be healthy, but they dont taste good. When you remove anything that adds good flavor or texture (fats from animals, meat, things like gelatin that are derived from animals, eggs, etc...) youre left with beans for protein which make you fart all day, and dishes made from vegetables which dont have good texture and are lacking in flavor. I guess if you want to live eating stuff that doesnt taste good just so you can sit on your high horse, then by all means, go ahead and do so
    There are plenty of tasty vegan recipes.