Thread: Civilization VI

Page 18 of 33 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    PSA: Most loading/saving/creating game issues and a lot of performance quirks can be fixed easily.
    Add an exclusion to the civ6 folder in your antivirus software

On windows 10 we're talking windows defender if you havent installed anything else.
    Fixed everything for me and 4 other friends playing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    Didn't work. Reinstalling it. No idea why it won't play for me at all. Can't load a game, I've had to force quit (and restart and regularly quit) 6 or 7 times now.

----------------------------------------

I can't even download it now, just sits there at 0 MB/s current and says it'll never finish
    Perhaps it is because of this bug with Windows Defender...

How To Fix Civ VI’s Crashing While Loading Bug

Scythia is brokenly powerful. Double spawn a horse unit, sell the second, buy city improvements, rinse and repeat.

Quote Originally Posted by Sencha View Post
    Looks like YOU haven't played it that much, because AI already get a new settler at Emperor and is NOT smarter.

Try again.
    I did add a question mark as I have not played civ6 above king yet, so I wasn't sure about the cut off difficulty of it getting an extra settler.

Either way, no interest in dealing with your snarky comments, if you think AI is dumb, please show me a 4x where it is better.
    My DK
    (retired since januari 2017) solely playing PoE now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Salisbury, Rhodesia & Leiden , The Netherlands
    Quote Originally Posted by falagar112 View Post
    Actually, raising the difficulty does make it smarter, upto.. immortal? where they will get additional starting workers/settler on top of.. being smarter.
    Which has been the case in every civ so far.

And it really sounds like you haven't played it that much - the AI really is a ton better then it ever was.

Unless you consider AI that makes mistakes "bad" - I can guarantee you, if that is the case, no game ever made has "good" AI.
    No the AI is not at all a ton lot better. Late game there are basically always like 10 settlers running around doing nothing. When they want to capture a specific city the armies just run to that city ignoring any city they cross or any army they cross whatsoever. Some Civs barely found any cities, and if they do, on completely random spots in the tundra. Check civfanatics forums if you want more examples.

- - - Updated - - -

As of today the game has stopped working for me. I can't load or start a new game, it just sits forever until I finally cut the process. Dunno why.
    I have the same thing. When I start the game and click the continue button it crashes, also since the same date as you. In addition, it ocasionally crashes when loading a new game. Also, the time between turns increased greatly.
    "This is no swaggering askari, no Idi Amin Dada, heavyweight boxing champion of the King's African Rifles, nor some wide shouldered, medal-strewn Nigerian general. This is an altogether more dangerous dictator - an intellectual, a spitefull African Robespierre who has outlasted them all." - The Fear: Robert Mugabe and the martyrdom of Zimbabwe, Peter Godwin.

Civ 6 is worse than the vanilla civ5, made me puke tbh.
    That comiclook, the dumb ai,less faction, less stuff to build.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PaterMDx View Post
    Civ 6 is worse than the vanilla civ5, made me puke tbh.
    That comiclook, the dumb ai,less faction, less stuff to build.
    Considering what I've heard the only complaint that is mostly valid is the AI.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    so in a civ game, its nice if you have nearly 0 building options?
    I bet civ7 has controller support

10+ Year Old Account
    Salisbury, Rhodesia & Leiden , The Netherlands
    I just found this on civfanatics. Quite valuable info on diplomacy with AI:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/thread...lomacy.601918/
    "This is no swaggering askari, no Idi Amin Dada, heavyweight boxing champion of the King's African Rifles, nor some wide shouldered, medal-strewn Nigerian general. This is an altogether more dangerous dictator - an intellectual, a spitefull African Robespierre who has outlasted them all." - The Fear: Robert Mugabe and the martyrdom of Zimbabwe, Peter Godwin.

Quote Originally Posted by Bumbasta View Post
    I just found this on civfanatics. Quite valuable info on diplomacy with AI:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/thread...lomacy.601918/
    That sounds like my own experience so far.

I agree it is something that should have been communicated better, and the UI is definately a step back - or rather, the UI isnt half bad, but a lot of options are "hidden" and if you don't know they are there, you can look for hours or just assume it is not there.

Maybe the tutorial explains, I disabled that shit off the bat on my first game..?

I really don't get these other complaints - yes the AI is not very good, but it definatly beats civ4/5 AI, and I don't expect good AI in micro 4x games like civ - it is reaaaaally hard to make proper AI for these kind of games. And certain systems (1 unit/tile) do not benefit it.

However unlike earlier civs, this is what they "learned";
    - AI will actively try to stop you from a certain victory condition (other civs you could win without ever getting declared on, they would just ignore you)
    - AI has a much better idea of what they can win and not win, most of the times when they DoW me, they have a good chance of winning (ignoring I stockpile gold to offset and insta buy military, but they can not and should not KNOW that!)
    - AI will actively call in help from others for joint wars.
    - AI will protect their agenda.

All these things... were of no consequence in earlier civs. You could literally talk your way out of everything, or even worse, they wouldn't care and just do their own stuff.

Victory conditions feel fairer, theres no "easy" victory, all have their challenges.
    Buildings, maybe this has to do with speed, but I never run out of things to build on normal - I suspect if you truly micro on epic/marathon, you might run out, but this is nothing different to civ 5, you ran out there as well, and much earlier!

UI?
    Well yea, the UI is not very intuitive, misses some information, and some options are so hidden, you might just miss them altogether!

But as a total package, civ6 is so much more finished as any other civ on release so far, like, this won't need 2 expansions and a million dlc to be good, this is already a good base to expand upon.
    My DK

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by carnifex2005 View Post
    Perhaps it is because of this bug with Windows Defender...

How To Fix Civ VI’s Crashing While Loading Bug
    Tried it on a fresh install. Now I can't even get to the menu, it just locks up instantly after the video.

Tried it on a fresh install. Now I can't even get to the menu, it just locks up instantly after the video.
    I had the same problem as well - I fixed it by installing it on my non system drive (as in, D instead of C) - altough I have no idea what the issue was in the first place, as it just randomly started.

I might add; non SSD instead of SSD, so it does kinda suck :P
    My DK

10+ Year Old Account
    I had the same problem as well - I fixed it by installing it on my non system drive (as in, D instead of C) - altough I have no idea what the issue was in the first place, as it just randomly started.

I might add; non SSD instead of SSD, so it does kinda suck :P
    I have a 2TB SSD that I split into two logical drives, so I have no second physical drive to use.

I'll keep fiddling with it. I got it to allow me to create a new game, it just froze up on loading it. I've added it as an exclusion to Defender but maybe Malwarebytes is having trouble, too.

I have a 2TB SSD that I split into two logical drives, so I have no second physical drive to use.

I'll keep fiddling with it. I got it to allow me to create a new game, it just froze up on loading it. I've added it as an exclusion to Defender but maybe Malwarebytes is having trouble, too.
    Try to give civ6 (the executable) admin rights, if you haven't done already.
    I use malwarebytes myself - it doesn't cause any conflicts, as far as I have noticed.
    I just allowed its ports in defender/firewall & moved it to d:, gave it admin rights and one of these things fixed the issue for me.

I am still on windows 7, though.
    My DK

The fact that a AAA title like Civ is having issues with common anti-virus software like Windows Defender is hilariously bad...
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    Its also somewhat buggy. But nothing game breaking so far

10+ Year Old Account
    Try to give civ6 (the executable) admin rights, if you haven't done already.
    I use malwarebytes myself - it doesn't cause any conflicts, as far as I have noticed.
    I just allowed its ports in defender/firewall & moved it to d:, gave it admin rights and one of these things fixed the issue for me.

I am still on windows 7, though.
    No luck. Every time I try to start a game after about 10 minutes of waiting on the loading screen I give up.

I've uinstalled and reinstalled. I've added it as an exception to Windows Defender. I've given the exe administrative rights. I'm at a loss at this point. I paid $70 for a game I can't play.

---------------------------------------------------------------

It's finally working. I don't know what changed, but I was able to start a game just now. Well, that's good.

I did add a question mark as I have not played civ6 above king yet, so I wasn't sure about the cut off difficulty of it getting an extra settler.

Either way, no interest in dealing with your snarky comments, if you think AI is dumb, please show me a 4x where it is better.
    Civ 4

/10c

Quote Originally Posted by Sencha View Post
    Civ 4

/10c
    That is a hard comparison, because imo, civ4 was not good until all xpacs and whatnot got added. Civ4 on release was a piece of garbage.

AI in Civ4 was also dumb, it handled wars better because it had an easier time with doomstacks then it has with 1 unit/tile - you are correct. But doomstack mechanic was dumb & I am glad they removed it!

Apart from that, you could largely ignore AI - you could play on deity (where they started with something crazy like 3 settlers and builders?) and win the game without a single war.

In civ6, whenever I get ahead on something significant, I am suddently fighting a 3 way war including recently "declared friends" (fucking backstabbers!) because they know if they don't do that, I will snowball. THEY KNOW. In Civ4 they would... maybe.. if they were pissed off at you to start with - DoW you when you would win space race in 10 more turns, then spend 10 turns trying to rush your capital (and ignore EVERYTHING else) to stop you.

I'm sorry, how is that better?

Civ4 has to be my 2nd most played game ever btw, dont get me wrong, I love that game (with xpacs), and out of all of them (not counting 6, yet to try) it was the best multiplayer experience as well!

But AI was dumb nonetheless and I won multiple deity games to show for it. While I already have issues in civ6 going above king, lol.

(That might possibly be me still understanding the finer elements of civ6, btw, that is why it is hard to compare!)

PS. Try a civ6 game using "island plates" layout. I feel (anecdotal, but try it) the AI plays a whole lot better on this map, most likely because water tiles have less collision or w/e?

edit:
    I want to emphasize, not a single 4x ever made had GOOD AI. Some have been passable and pose a little of a challenge, but 99% of them gain advantage through cheating past a certain difficulty, not by playing better.
    And I dont buy a civ game to beat AI at something I am better at (lol) - I buy a civ game to play against friends that can think ahead and dont make silly mistakes so that games are actually really interesting
    Last edited by falagar112; 2016-10-26 at 01:30 PM.
    My DK

Man barbarian spawn rates are really tough. I can hardly keep up with killing them.