Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilrak View Post
    And you know, the whole risk of an innocent person ending up in death row, and it also being more expansive than prison.
    Modern criminal science has done a good job in eliminating a lot of doubt in the types of crimes where it would be logical to executive somebody for.

And it doesn't have to be expensive at all.

Its made expensive for no reason other than intentions to prevent/delay and of course general government incompetence.

It could be cheap, like $1/per cheap.
    MAGA
    When all you do is WIN WIN WIN

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombergy View Post
    Harsh punishments carried out in a timely manner would help stop crime.
    Why is there still crime then? Plenty of places in the world has harsh punishments carried out in a timely manner. Yet crime is prevalent in those areas too and crime was prevalent in those times in history when it was even more common place.

The only reason anybody can attempt to suggest the death penalty doesn't reduce crime is because the death penalty itself rarely (by comparison) ever gets applied, and when it does you've basically got a lifetime to try a thousand different ways to fight it.
    There are numerous other reason why the death penalty does not deter crime. [/QUOTE]
    https://nccadp.org/death-penalty-iss...o-deter-crime/
    http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/dete...eswithvwithout
    https://www.aclu-de.org/wp-content/u...eter-Crime.pdf
    [/QUOTE]

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Provenance View Post
    Law-abiding citizens have no guns because it's nearly, completely unlawful to possess them in NY. Criminals break the laws that were put in place to limit access to firearms. Law-abiding citizens are the ones who suffer. Wow!
    There is a gun range and store near my uni. I am a NY citizen. Plenty of my friends own guns, all of which are owned legally.

please try again.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberowl View Post
    You might have just shattered the world of some posters here; the times I had to read "Look how Chicago is doing with their strict firearm laws, kek!" is too damn high.
    Check this site out: http://heyjackass.com/

It illustrates everything in Chiraq from shootings, to gun deaths, to police involvement, to race stats, and so on.

It basically demonstrates that the gun control narrative, Chicago's generational Dem stronghold government, and the BLM movement are all utter failures.
    MAGA

Law-abiding citizens have no guns because it's nearly, completely unlawful to possess them in NY. Criminals break the laws that were put in place to limit access to firearms. Law-abiding citizens are the ones who suffer. Wow!
    Yeah, they have to do stuff like put their gun in a safe instead of putting it near their toddler bed or the window at ground floor in plain sight. How will they survive this human rights violation?

10+ Year Old Account
    Check this site out: http://heyjackass.com/

It illustrates everything in Chiraq from shootings, to gun deaths, to police involvement, to race stats, and so on.

It basically demonstrates that the gun control narrative, Chicago's generational Dem stronghold government, and the BLM movement are all utter failures.
    I refuse to click a link from something called heyjackass

I assume its a pointless blog.

Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    Why is there still crime then? Plenty of places in the world has harsh punishments carried out in a timely manner. Yet crime is prevalent in those areas too and crime was prevalent in those times in history when it was even more common place.

There are numerous other reason why the death penalty does not deter crime.
    https://nccadp.org/death-penalty-iss...o-deter-crime/
    http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/dete...eswithvwithout
    https://www.aclu-de.org/wp-content/u...eter-Crime.pdf
    Well I said it would help stop crime, not totally put an end to it.

And those things you linked are exactly why I said:

The only reason anybody can attempt to suggest the death penalty doesn't reduce crime is because the death penalty itself rarely (by comparison) ever gets applied, and when it does you've basically got a lifetime to try a thousand different ways to fight it.

- - - Updated - - -

I refuse to click a link from something called heyjackass

I assume its a pointless blog.
    Ya I know I almost put in a disclaimer cause the name is a bit trollish but its actually a well designed and maintained site that sources all of its data.

Just look at it.
    MAGA

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, they have to do stuff like put their gun in a safe instead of putting it near their toddler bed or the window at ground floor in plain sight. How will they survive this human rights violation?
    Completely different scenario. Yes, when not carrying, your weapons should be out of reach of others. However, in this scenario, I am referring to the fact that the govt in NY has made it very difficult (in comparison to my state) for a law abiding citizen to obtain a weapon for self defense. Yet, it is still easy for a criminal to obtain a weapon. This is because criminals don't follow gun laws.

- - - Updated - - -

There is a gun range and store near my uni. I am a NY citizen. Plenty of my friends own guns, all of which are owned legally.

please try again.
    I am referring to the fact that the govt in NY has made it very difficult (in comparison to my state) for a law abiding citizen to obtain a weapon for self defense. Yet, it is still easy for a criminal to obtain a weapon. This is because criminals don't follow gun laws.

Completely different scenario. Yes, when not carrying, your weapons should be out of reach of others. However, in this scenario, I am referring to the fact that the govt in NY has made it very difficult (in comparison to my state) for a law abiding citizen to obtain a weapon for self defense. Yet, it is still easy for a criminal to obtain a weapon. This is because criminals don't follow gun laws.
    What's the difference between a gun and a driver's license? You have the right to get and use both if you pass the tests ensuring you are a no explicit danger for the public. And we both know which license is still way easier to get. Background checks for guns aren't a bad thing, we are even getting the Republicans to slowly admit that.

15+ Year Old Account
    No, it is because other states have lax laws on who can purchase a firearm, ergo the point of the OP article.
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    There is a problem, but I know just banning guns will fix the problem.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Daelak View Post
    No, it is because other states have lax laws on who can purchase a firearm, ergo the point of the OP article.
    So the other states are supposed to take responsibility for the criminal mindset of certain citizens in another state? Nice.

15+ Year Old Account
    So the other states are supposed to take responsibility for the criminal mindset of certain citizens in another state? Nice.
    No, any logical person would see the benefit of having uniformity of state laws in conjunction with federal laws to minimize the chances of a firearm purchased in another state is used in a crime in another.

So you would support instituting a national law against gun trafficking?
    Well, we have them...

Straw-purchase laws
    FFA
    FOPA/FFL

Thanks to Rivellana for an awesome signature

10+ Year Old Account
    What's the difference between a gun and a driver's license? You have the right to get and use both if you pass the tests ensuring you are a no explicit danger for the public. And we both know which license is still way easier to get. Background checks for guns aren't a bad thing, we are even getting the Republicans to slowly admit that.
    Background checks aren't really the issue. They are a good thing and you certainly should be background checked before you buy a firearm. The issue is the "may issue" basis that the state gives carry permits and other laws that make it extremely difficult for a law-abiding citizen to carry their self-defense weapon with them legally. The state literally can just say no for no reason whatsoever. If you pass the background check, complete a training course, a successfully go through the process to obtain a carry permit, you should not be able to be denied one without extremely good reason. We should make it easier for law-abiding citizens to protect themselves. In turn, this would deter violent criminal activity. If you were a criminal and you were considering armed robbery, knowing full well that the mass populous has extremely limited access to self defense weapons, would that influence your decision? I would venture to say that it would.

- - - Updated - - -

No, any logical person would see the benefit of having uniformity of state laws in conjunction with federal laws to minimize the chances of a firearm purchased in another state is used in a crime in another.
    I feel like you still don't quite understand what a criminal is. By definition, a criminal breaks the law. If they so desire, they can and will obtain a firearm unlawfully regardless of the current laws, federal or state. The only people you stop from purchasing a firearm by creating laws are people that actually follow the law. Any logical person can see this.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Goonygoon View Post
    Well, we have them...

Straw-purchase laws
    FFA
    FOPA/FFL
    Good, then cull production of handguns in the US, restrict the import of handguns into the US. Let the law abiding gun owners and the criminals alike deal with repairing their own firearms.

- - - Updated - - -

I feel like you still don't quite understand what a criminal is. By definition, a criminal breaks the law. If they so desire, they can and will obtain a firearm unlawfully regardless of the current laws, federal or state. The only people you stop from purchasing a firearm by creating laws are people that actually follow the law. Any logical person can see this.
    Then you don't understand the point of the article. If 6 out of 7 firearms that are used in crimes from out of state, Virginia specifically, then that means New York's laws are actually working, it's the problem of the lax laws in Virginia that is the source of firearms coming into New York.

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Modern criminal science has done a good job in eliminating a lot of doubt in the types of crimes where it would be logical to executive somebody for.

And it doesn't have to be expensive at all.

Its made expensive for no reason other than intentions to prevent/delay and of course general government incompetence.

It could be cheap, like $1/per cheap.
    You can't eliminate all doubt, not to mention all those costs exist to leave less doubt.
    Last edited by JohnBrown1917; 2016-10-26 at 03:10 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Then you don't understand the point of the article. If 6 out of 7 firearms that are used in crimes from out of state, Virginia specifically, then that means New York's laws are actually working, it's the problem of the lax laws in Virginia that is the source of firearms coming into New York.
    What New York's laws have done is create a nearly defenseless law-abiding populous. This causes criminals to gain access to firearms illegally through trafficking, which they would have done anyway, and now have limited resistance when committing their crimes. I totally see your logic and what you're trying to argue, but I disagree with it.

Guns are explicitly mentioned in the bill of rights

That's as asinine as suggesting you should pass a test to use free speech or to not self incriminate

Harsh punishments carried out in a timely manner would help stop crime.

And stop and frisk was working fine in NY, but certain people didn't like the fact that other certain people were the ones always found to be in possession of illegal weapons so its all but stopped.

Cops know who the criminals are, go after them!
    Stop and frisk was targeting black and Hispanic... cops went on tv saying they didn't want to actually have to stop and frisk and harass the same people who did nothing day after day but they didn't feel they had a choice because they had quotas and would have been placed on desk duty or unpaid leave.

Whites were more likely to have committed crimes when stopped because officers stopped "suspicious whites" while they just stopped black and Hispanics indiscriminately.

Good, then cull production of handguns in the US, restrict the import of handguns into the US. Let the law abiding gun owners and the criminals alike deal with repairing their own firearms
    Why? What purpose does any of that serve? Also, I already repair and make my own firearms...

Thanks to Rivellana for an awesome signature