Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    No, you are projecting. Black people have a reason to feel like they do now, ditto for gay people... they were mistreated, they were forcefully segregated, jailed, ostracized, fired, looked over, lost homes, etc... because they were black, brown, Jewish, Gay, or whatever other minority.

When white people face the same plights, or are close to, than there is a problem.
    All of them? Because there are some young looking protesters out.

I never grew up in that. Maybe that's why I don't justify treating people like shit based on their skin color.

Equality. Because some people are more equal.

- - - Updated - - -

Blocking free expression, and the right to peaceful assembly, is against the law. No matter if it black or white.
    You didn't answer the question at all. Good job, politician in training.

No, you are projecting. Black people have a reason to feel like they do now, ditto for gay people... they were mistreated, they were forcefully segregated, jailed, ostracized, fired, looked over, lost homes, etc... because they were black, brown, Jewish, Gay, or whatever other minority.

When white people face the same plights, or are close to, than there is a problem.

- - - Updated - - -

Blocking free expression, and the right to peaceful assembly, is against the law. No matter if it black or white.
    An assembly can be peaceful, and still be racist as fuck. The KKK marches without violence all the time, to use the most racist group as an example.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dextroden View Post
    So, how weak are the people complaining about sombreros and the colleges that make them ver boten?
    Pretty much as weak. Or they may be, in case of green undergrads, misguided, young and foolish, thinking they are doing the right thing. It doesn't change the fact: these things do not affect anything significantly, and if you feel threatened by them, then I feel sorry for you.

You lash at everyone on these forums you have a slightest disagreement with. You are very insecure, which makes you awfully similar to those you are criticizing. You should address that, rather than blaming everyone else for your issues.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    Pretty much as weak. Or they may be, in case of green undergrads, misguided, young and foolish, thinking they are doing the right thing. It doesn't change the fact: these things do not affect anything significantly, and if you feel threatened by them, then I feel sorry for you.

You lash at everyone on these forums you have a slightest disagreement with. You are very insecure, which makes you awfully similar to those you are criticizing. You should address that, rather than blaming everyone else for your issues.
    But poop smear swastikas are proof black people are in trouble.

As long as they are peaceful, I couldn't care less. Ditto for Black Panthers, or Gay Pride Parades, or the plethora of other ideas, both good and bad.
    So, violence is the only bad thing that can come from protest? You are ok with using peaceful protest as a means to discriminate against students? It sounds like you are setting the bar at no blood, no foul. Do you set the bar in that same place for everyone and everything, or just protesting?

So when the Black Panthers threaten voters, that's ok so long as they didn't actually physically harm them???

That is where you get into perception, and the psychology of people. The events I am talking about exist still in living memory. There are black people alive that remember "colored" only signs.

You want people to think like you; well so do most people. People will eventually forget, when "gay" is no longer a political issue, when black people do not feel targeted by drug laws, or police, etc... when women do not have to worry about a famous ass grabbing their pussy, this perception will wane.

By doing what you are doing, you are actually making things worse, and keeping the victim mentality (on both sides) alive and in the public sphere, instead of setting down and becoming moot as people see that a lot of the past is gone, and the present and future look brighter.
    And that's why you do your part by justifying the stupidity on white privelege, a phrase that needs to be defunct since it evolved into "All white people are well off".

Didn't you say you were neutral, which realistically means you would pick NEITHER evil or allow BOTH?

Quote Originally Posted by Fasc View Post
    USMA education says "Hello"

Undergraduate STEM programs really aren't hard, they simply require outside study and attention to detail. The prerequisite hoops are just means to cull students so HR doesn't go insane and because making a 5 on AP Calculus and Chemistry isn't enough of a differentiating marker when everyone has 4.0 GPAs and so forth. USMA was no different, save for the most ridiculous of hoops: the Congressional Nomination. That alone culls the applicant pack by 1/5th at least. My issue though isn't UC's lack of rigor, they have that in spades. It is their focus.

A thermo-fluids course is the same anywhere that is ABET qualified... but engineering goes well beyond knowing how to solve Reynold's and perform LaPlace. USMA's Chemical Engineering was 100% theory, so you learned the math and science REALLLLLLY well but you learned nothing of real-world plant management or data validation or day-to-day operations. Post-grad at Lamar University, the opposite is true, since Beaumont is basically chemical city.

True.
    The letter of recommendation is actually pretty easy. Look up your local congress/senate rep, go to their web site for procedure for U.S. Service Academy Nominations, and follow the procedure. Typically in addition to the completed application form they want SAT & ACT scores, statement of extracurricular activities and a 500 word essay. Not much difference than most college. Except your application is processed through your local rep, and you have to go through 2 nomination process. The first one is for the recommendation letter, then another nomination process for the academy itself.

I am not sure why the protest is such a big deal. I was there 1981 - 1987, and I can’t remember a single week went by without some kind of protest going on somewhere on campus.

The photograph on the news is actually quite telling. There is not a single black face on the photograph. Which makes sense since black students are true minority at less than 3% of the Berkeley student population. I see that nothing has changed since the 1980s.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by purebalance View Post
    And if you think we should do something against white people being racist against others or men being sexist against others, then you are a weak person.

Kind of funny when your own words are thrown against you and you know damn well you don't agree since you clearly have a problem with a "straight cis gendered white male" and are bigoted against that type of person or any of those.
    I don't have a problem with anyone based on any physical characteristic. I really don't care talking to people making up stuff about me, so off you go.
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.

As long as there is no violence, and no inciting of violence, yes, I support freedom of expression, and I do not believe in restricting "hate" speech. No matter if it is the "God Hates Fags" people, or the ACLU.
    "What do we want? Dead pigs!"

I've seem plenty of people argue it isn't incitement.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dextroden View Post
    But poop smear swastikas are proof black people are in trouble.
    Said no one here but you.

Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post

I'm with you. While this and other stories are over the top. I'm not giving much thought to a small minority of students, who for whatever reason when they went to school, they decided to push social issues.

Instead on this forum and I am betting other conservative echo chambers, this is the decline of civilization. First they say all the liberal professors are brainwashing these students. When college grads, especially whites, have overwhelmingly voted Republican. I always here get rid of Liberal Arts, which are the root cause of these protests. Wow! Who would of thought that people talking art and social degrees are free thinking spirits? That would be the same as me complaining people at Liberty University, Jerry Falwell's school, are too conservative.

No, I understand both sides. And why they feel the way they do. I just think one side has a point, and the other side is fearful of change.

Letting both sides become less afraid of the other, and seeing that things are getting better is a better long term solution than a reactionary war.

Let the people who are afraid of other's ideas segregate, they will figure out sooner or later why that is a dumb thing. It has no affect on you.
    That isn't how neutrality works.

As long as there is no violence, and no inciting of violence, yes, I support freedom of expression, and I do not believe in restricting "hate" speech. No matter if it is the "God Hates Fags" people, or the ACLU.
    But this article shows it went beyond speech. They were physically blocking white students from passing, while allowing black students to pass through. I'm not saying this is a big huge legal issue; I'm saying do you not at least see this as abhorrent and racist behavior? (I don't think anyone ever said this protest was illegal)

Well, and those people are wrong. Inciting violence on a euphemism for cops should be looked at seriously.
    How dare you silence their anger you said you understood.

So if someone walked through, got jumped for being white, and blasted all of them to the next world I think you win in court. Just a reminder guys.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tijuana View Post
    That could not be more untrue. The voters of today are in fact different humans than the voters of the 1950s. There was no swapping; people in different geographic locations have different tendencies than they did then, yes. But to extrapolate that out to party positions changing is factually incorrect. The Republican party has been consistent on race, calling for equality and nothing more, since the first prominent Republican, Abe Lincoln. The civil rights movement in America was an anti-Democrat policy movement. Jim Crow was a thing of Democrats. Therefore, when we see the current day left acting like the historic left, it should not be surprising but because they preach the opposite, the irony is rich.
    Or do a little bit of research.

Reagan voted against the civil rights act of 1964. He even vetoed the Civil Rights Restoration Act of 1987. He even was initially was against Martin Luther King day.

About the time he got elected was when Republicans started recruiting southern Democrats on the platform of "States Rights" which was previously a Democratic, Jim Crows laws platform.

Keep toting those "states rights" though, while at the same time pretending with a smile that nothing ever changed. You're right though the voters of today are different than those of the 1950's, the voter's of today can tell for themselves what changed.

Abraham Lincoln would be ashamed of the "states rights" platform. They got what they wished and Reagan became president and the Republican party swelled with brand new Republicans with the promise that state laws would circumvent all others. You got your fresh recruits who don't believe in equality and you can keep them.

You want to pinpoint when the the socially corrupt switched? It wasn't an exact moment, but it started in the late 60's and by the late 80's the southern strategy was complete.

But try to deny homosexuals access to businesses, try to kick 11 million illegals out of the country, try to repeal the 19th amendment, and call African Americans racists for holding protests, while at the same time proclaiming Republicans are the only true party of equality out of the other side of their mouths.

Still not sure how Democrats were considered left, unless you're stating fiscally, but then, that has no bearing civil rights, so back to the original point. That still makes no sense, whatsoever.
    Last edited by -Nurot; 2016-10-26 at 08:08 PM.

In that instance, yes. But this topic is a bigger issue of "reverse racism" that a lot of the right now bring up. And in conjunction with that, the SJW vs Anti-SJW war we are seeing.

- - - Updated - - -

I keep saying that both sides are wrong. But you can take their point of view, and see why they justify it to themselves.

Both sides are understandable, I just think they are both wrong. And one side has a reason to feel the way they do, due to past grievances. The other side is afraid of change, which is something that all of humanity needs to work on; though it is getting better.
    Right now.

Yep. That wasn't a 90s throwback used to excuse open racism from blacks.

Just more proof that the left is compromised entirely of bullies.

In that instance, yes. But this topic is a bigger issue of "reverse racism" that a lot of the right now bring up. And in conjunction with that, the SJW vs Anti-SJW war we are seeing.

- - - Updated - - -

I keep saying that both sides are wrong. But you can take their point of view, and see why they justify it to themselves.

Both sides are understandable, I just think they are both wrong. And one side has a reason to feel the way they do, due to past grievances. The other side is afraid of change, which is something that all of humanity needs to work on; though it is getting better.
    Both sides are wrong. But you see point in one side.

You really need to slap whoever told you picking a side is neutrality.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shon237 View Post
    I'm with you. While this and other stories are over the top. I'm not giving much thought to a small minority of students, who for whatever reason when they went to school, they decided to push social issues.

Instead on this forum and I am betting other conservative echo chambers, this is the decline of civilization. First they say all the liberal professors are brainwashing these students. When college grads, especially whites, have overwhelmingly voted Republican. I always here get rid of Liberal Arts, which are the root cause of these protests. Wow! Who would of thought that people talking art and social degrees are free thinking spirits? That would be the same as me complaining people at Liberty University, Jerry Falwell's school, are too conservative.
    I mean, students have always been very vocal about issues, overly idealistic and maximalistic. People complaining about what sometimes goes on on campuses nowadays probably don't know history very well; this kind of protests, probably, predates recorded history, it even took place in Ancient Greece, and probably long before that too. Put many thinking, but inexperienced and immature, people in one place - and such things are bound to happen. They hardly change anything globally.