Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Warhoof View Post
    It's name is Sarmat, "Satan" is western made up name to scare the sheep.
    "Satan" is a NATO code name for the missile, inline with how they name all Soviet/Russian SSMs with names starting with "S" (like Styx, Scud, Sturgeon, etc).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by caervek View Post
    America is building missile shields to counter the current Russian missiles (in order to give themselves an advantage in an exchange without needing to build more nuclear missiles), this means Russia either has to build new missiles or risk becoming completely outgunned.

- - - Updated - - -

It's a museum piece, I think Top Gear stopped by it when they were in Ukraine.
    US ICBMs are small in number and carry only one warhead, the true backbone of US nuclear deterrent is the Ohio Class SSBNs.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ulmita View Post
    The basic consept of the missile is to "spray" accross a big geografical location warheads from one missile. So Houston will get 1-2 300Kt wareheads, dallas the same, etc. Spreading 14-15-16 such wareheads will turn a big geografical area into nuclear wasteland and inflict maximum casualties.

The whole Sarmat shenanigans is Kremlin saying to USA keep out of our bussiness, since that even one of those manages to reach target is game over for millions of people and 100's of billions of damage.

It's mad what they are doing but it seems this is the only way USA listens, which is sad if you think about it.
    The SS-18 already has 10 750kt MIRVs. The SS-X-30 changes nothing really.

Russia knows that even ones ICBM being launched at the US means the end of Russia as a country and as a people.

Quote Originally Posted by announced View Post
    hahaha epic!

I like the name of it atleast, Satan 2 is better than some other previous missile names.
    I was wondering if that was the real name the creator had for it. If so, I approve.

10+ Year Old Account
    After reading my post you came to the conclusion that it gave me a boner. I am very against any form of violence. Anything from verbal, physical or ... "nuclear".

The reason i mention nukes regularly, is to kindly remind brainless people that no matter how many billions of $ USA spends per year in arms, Russia can keep them deterred by just developing and deploying nukes.

People tend to not understand, or just eat the bullcrap skroe writes.
    Russian nukes deter the US no more or less than US nukes deter Russia. Nuclear weapons are an all or nothing proposition, they will never be used when the absolute survival of the state is not at risk.

10+ Year Old Account
    We will talk extensively about the subject if (when) Hillary gets to be president and tries to enforce a no - fly zone over Russia's ally, Syria.
    Right now these news mean nothing. I have a feeling the MAD concept is about to get a serious stress test.

- - - Updated - - -

Those are NOT intercept-able and the only EU country that has a problem is UK (If it ever gets down to that in which case the whole island will get literally sterilized from any form of life, including bacteria)
    Russia will NOT go nuclear over Syria, PERIOD.

Quote Originally Posted by Slacker76 View Post
    So Russia just leaves their missiles on blocks on the front lawn? That photo is giving me flashbacks of my visit to Florida.

Russian engineering has a lot in common with Southern Engineering actually.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kellhound View Post
    Russian nukes deter the US no more or less than US nukes deter Russia. Nuclear weapons are an all or nothing proposition, they will never be used when the absolute survival of the state is not at risk.
    Russia has literally no capability to nuke the US. Do you even missile defense shield, bro?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tijuana View Post
    Russian engineering has a lot in common with Southern Engineering actually.

- - - Updated - - -

Russia has literally no capability to nuke the US. Do you even missile defense shield, bro?
    ICBMs are not interceptable because of their high speed, higher than IRBMs, MRBM, or SRBMs.

Quote Originally Posted by Kellhound View Post
    The SS-18 already has 10 750kt MIRVs. The SS-X-30 changes nothing really.

Russia knows that even ones ICBM being launched at the US means the end of Russia as a country and as a people.
    And hopefully whole world knows it means the same for every single one of us.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tijuana View Post
    A missile defense shield does nothing against a modern ICBM, unless you somehow manage to catch it in its boost phase (=first few minutes of launch) but even that is tricky. Once an ICBM is underway it travels much too fast and much too high for anything to intercept it, and that's not even taking into consideration the countermeasures modern ICBM's come equipped with.

Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    Inb4 @Skroe completely destroys this story.

Btw, why exactly does Russia want to destroy Texas specifically? :P
    Gonna be a day or two.

The Russians couldn't get me but the even eviler empire (Comcast) did. My new cable box ruined everything!

I'm totally counting megabytes atm to raid while tethered to my phone. -_-

I will say though, as discussed at length before, American strategists regard Russian supernukes are farcical.

(1) There is legitimately no point to a nuclear warhead larger than ~400kt. The only reason they were larger historically was because of primitive guidance technology and accuracy measured in the thousands of meters. The ideal US nuclear weapon would actually be highly accurate, but tiny.

(2) The true farce is Russia over-MIRVing itself. The ideal MIRV world is one without warhead and launcher limits. In such a world, there is nothing to stop any country from building a 10000 missiles, and 100000 warheads and putting 10 on either of them, which basically describes the 1970s and 1980s (although not quite at that scale).

That is not the world we live in though.

In the world we live in, with a 700 launcher limit and a 1550 warhead limit, over-mirving means you put all your eggs in one basket. It means you get a super-ICBM with 10+ warheads, but because you have a warhead limit, you drastically cut the number of launchers you can have. What's better? 100 warheads on 10 launchers or 100 warheads on 100 launchers. Certainly the latter. In the latter case, the enemy has to worry about 100 sites to hit. In the latter case, they have to worry about 10. That makes it really, really enticing to be struck first. It also makes the consquences of being struck pretty terrible. It is much eaiser for the attacker to go 10-for-10 than 100 for 100.

Americans have known this for years, which is why we're building a replacement for the Minuteman III and putting one warhead on each of them. It's why, longer term, the US is going to pump out more conventional prompt global strike missiles than you can shake a stick at, and why the US pressed for them to not count as "launchers" under NewSTART. Our grand plan is to give the Russians and anybody else a hysterical number of targets - imagine 450 land based missiles, plus assorted missile defense sites, plus another 400 C-PGS missiles. That's 900+ targets right there, operating under a treaty that that allows for 1550 warheads, when, at least under american doctrine, if we were attacking a country with that kind of set up, we'd have too few warheads to hit by a lot (the US plans call for 2-3 warheads per Russian launcher, hitting one after another).

All put together, to hook from the links with quotes I said about this more, this is legitimately a classic case of Russian's trying to show off how big their dong is, without any consideration for their military necessity. The US MIRVs plenty... in our Tridents on our Ohio-class Submarines, where MIRVing makes tons of sense.

Frankly, we should send Russia a fruit basket. The single best thing they could do for us would be to down their launcher limit ever smaller and put more warheads on fewer launch vehicles, thus making the US's jobs easier. But that actually is kind of the point. Why? Because the cost of ownership of launchers is damn expensive and already as a proportion of their defense budget, Russia spends over twice as much on it's nuclear infrastructure as the US. Modern Russia can't afford keeping even mid-hundreds of launch vehicles in ideal, ready to launch condition. Ideally, it probably would like to go closer to the Chinese or British deterrent size, but it doesn't want to do it while losing face.

The US will keep that many launchers, because we can afford it.

Hence your Giant Dong Superweapon, that really, as far as a US planner is concerned, is no different from a pipsqueak nuclear weapon carrying a single warhead.

So I say go for it Russia. Do us a favor. Put all your eggs in one basket. We promise nothing bad will happen.
    Last edited by Skroe; 2016-10-26 at 10:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Skroe View Post
    Gonna be a day or two.

The Russians couldn't get me but the even eviler empire (Comcast) did. My new cable box ruined everything!

I'm totally counting megabytes atm to raid while tethered to my phone. -_-
    That's harsh, man. :P

Seems everytime I read someone write about Comcast, it's something like you just said.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

If this is the "followup" to the SS18, why does it look like it is the same shape, design and size as this one?

Not to mention the fact that it looks to be in exactly the same place.

Deleted
    Can the whole <not EU> just happen in some fiction universe please? It's so dump that we cannot even watch this meaningless stupid shit some wannabe world forces are doing. This feels like SG1 goes to this retarded planet where they are all on war and can do nothing but let it happen. Just remove your bombs, get financial crises like EU, get some basic problems like EU - and you will feel like modern humans...

It's unbelievable that advanced countries are taken back by the military upgrades of some stupid nations who are like a century behind. Go to mars, go wherever - but do the next step and stop this nonsense on earth.

Yeah sure - we of EU will be annihilated first. Not that anyone cares.... We have to fucking buy us out I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram View Post
    Can the whole <not EU> just happen in some fiction universe please? It's so dump that we cannot even watch this meaningless stupid shit some wannabe world forces are doing. This feels like SG1 goes to this retarded planet where they are all on war and can do nothing but let it happen. Just remove your bombs, get financial crises like EU, get some basic problems like EU - and you will feel like modern humans...

It's unbelievable that advanced countries are taken back by the military upgrades of some stupid nations who are like a century behind. Go to mars, go wherever - but do the next step and stop this nonsense on earth.

Yeah sure - we of EU will be annihilated first. Not that anyone cares.... We have to fucking buy us out I guess.
    The differences between the Free World and Russia have been and remain, vitally, even cosmic in its importance.

Unlike SG-1, as far as we know we're the only intelligent life in the universe. Is there more? Probably. Do we know for sure? Nope. But we're certainly the only ones of us. That makes the question of "how shalt man live?" kind of an important one.

Russia and the War Criminal Vladmir Putin don't get to play a role in answering it.

And besides, the US is going to Mars and dropping a trillion dollars on our next generation arsenal at the same time. When you're rich, you can do multiple things at once.

Quote Originally Posted by Calfredd View Post
    Are you really that naive and/or ignorant? You do know what happens when 1 country uses a nuke right?
    You win the war

Quote Originally Posted by Leyre View Post
    You win the war
    There is no such thing as winning a nuclear war.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    There is no such thing as winning a nuclear war.
    Cant start a war when the other country was nuked to oblivion, ask Japan if they still wanted to fight after Hiro and Naga

Quote Originally Posted by Leyre View Post
    Cant start a war when the other country was nuked to oblivion, ask Japan if they still wanted to fight after Hiro and Naga
    Nuking a country that doesn't have nukes is a rather stupid comparison.

Or do you imagine in some fucked up fantasy that the US can strike against Russia without them striking back?

This is hardly news. Nukes of similar caliber have been around for decades.

Russia's development of Co-60 ballistic torpedoes that can be used to target coastal cities and irradiate them in "dirty bomb" fashion are much scarier in this day and age. Being able to selectively and precisely cripple ports is much more valuable than creating a glass lake a thousand miles wide.

People acting like it's the fucking Cold War all of a sudden this year. SHillary complaining about Russia, the entire DNC joining the wagon, and now everyone is parroting "omg russia". Wtf?

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Nuking a country that doesn't have nukes is a rather stupid comparison.

Or do you imagine in some fucked up fantasy that the US can strike against Russia without them striking back?
    Academic / think tank simulations show that the US could conceivably strike first against all of Russia's nuclear deterrent and military infrastructure and destroy all but a few dozen warheads before Russia gets a second strike off the ground.

This is why Russia has always been against even the US's limited missile defense. Not because they could nullfy a Russian first strike, but because they could nullfy the second strike... the ones that got away. US missile defense is not comprehensive against thousands of warheads. Against maybe at most 40? Much easier problem. Defending against 1550 warheads would need 4500 interceptors. Defending against 40 warheads? As few as 120. Maybe less.

Russia is paranoid about this type of "decapitation" strike and it drives their military planning, even when expansion of those capabilities - such as with US Prompt Global Strike - is 10-15 years away from being live. Russia does not have this ability towards us because their warheads are vastly less accurate (and launchers fewer in number) than the US.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dastreus View Post
    People acting like it's the fucking Cold War all of a sudden this year. SHillary complaining about Russia, the entire DNC joining the wagon, and now everyone is parroting "omg russia". Wtf?
    No. This isn't Cold War II. This is the Ongoing Decline and Fall of (the latest iteration) of the Russian Empire. This is the rest of the world trying to avoid a catastrophe as Russia convulses in it's terminal decline.

Cold War II is the sequel, beyond 2025ish, and is the US vs China. That's the main event of the 21st century. The US Alliance vs China for all the marbles. This? This is the lead in show. The danger isn't from a strong Russia. The danger is from one with ever less to lose, having lost basically everything.