One thing I found that helps tanking at early levels is to mark the first mob to be killed. Most of the time when you lose threat, it's because the DPS chose to attack different mobs, and it was hard to hold both mobs. If the DPS concentrate on one mob, you can think of it as one of the DPS effectively generates no threat. So you're only competing against one DPS.

Plus the mob will die a lot faster, so even if you lose it at the very end, it's not a big issue. Makes it easier to jump off the mob at half health or so to get an early lead on the next mob to be killed.
    Last edited by RohanV; 2016-10-26 at 06:24 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MrTharne View Post
    Yes, that's your threat. But to see the highest threat after yours, you need to go look next to the name of the party members and that's only for your current target, so you need to go through all the targets to see if maybe you will lose aggro on one of them.

What would be nice is having for each target, under the Blue/Orange/Red (there is the space), a little bar (same as the one close to the name of the party members) that shows the highest threat level after yours, so if the bar is almost full you know you need to switch to keep the aggro up on this specific target.

And I don't really understand their Targeting system, you either have to cycle through all the enemies on the surface of the game or using a bunch of options to move some kind of "cursor" between the selected things in filters but why have this "cursor" that doesn't change your real target (it looks like it just lets you do a unique action before going back to your real target) instead of just changing the real target.
    As a war op is your friend another thing to note and this is important is that if they are downsync'd their abilities will still be unusually strong

JIST treat is as vanilla WoW ir bc and you'll be great

I sorta enjoy PLD tanking early on. Its fun to rotate your combos around. WAR on the other hand I found incredibly dull early game. I also never had issues holding threat but that PLD was also the first character I got to 50 at the launch of the game so it was a bit different back then. Maybe I'm just weird.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    Oh, but... at orange you're close to aggro change. So wouldn't it be obvious to just attack the orange target.
    That only works from below.

As a tank, when it drops to orange I've already lost threat. I do not get any warning regarding mobs I am not targeting.

Annoying, yes, but ultimately inconsequential as you do not lose aggro at max level. (unless you are failing)

Yes, that's your threat. But to see the highest threat after yours, you need to go look next to the name of the party members and that's only for your current target, so you need to go through all the targets to see if maybe you will lose aggro on one of them.

What would be nice is having for each target, [snip]
    Yea, whenever I tank low level (don't have a high level) I always wish that overall threat indicator worked in reverse while playing a tank class. Your idea would work as well, but they don't even need to get that in-depth with adding anything.

Works fine for DPS, orange meaning your about to get aggro. All I need is "about to lose aggro". Don't know how well my idea would work in raids with two tanks, but it'd still be better than the current system.

Pretty much what Granyala just beat me to saying.
    Last edited by Aurimas; 2016-10-26 at 08:15 PM.

Deleted
    Tanking is so dreadful in this game (20 with Glad at the moment, 32 with War) because :
    - Thaumaturge is retarded, I use Flash 2 times and spam my enmity combo (with Fight or Flight up) and the dude still get the aggro on the boss (Thauma was also 20ish).
    - Target switching is awful imo. I don't really know why the little window doesn't always show ALL enemies that are in combat with you and your group, sometimes I engaged one and all the ones aggro with it show up, sometimes it's only the one that I engaged and all the ones aggro with it don't.
    - A nice addition would be adding the threat bar of the highest after you UNDER the little color forms in this little window because having to switch between every targets to see the threat level of every one in the group (by looking next to their names...) is bad.
    - And guildhests are terrible for tank "Hey let's spawn mobs in every direction, at once and for maximum fun we will sometimes make them ranged!"...I mean what are you suppose to do in this situation ? Pray the gods that you want a mass grip like DK in wow ?

No wonder no one wants to tank.
    God forbid tanks can lose aggro and CC and marks need to be used. Where is the fun if all you have to do is press one button and you instantly never have to worry about threat or protecting your party.

The game isn't modern WoW, tanking in this game requires slightly more thought and setup.

Quote Originally Posted by MaraStarfury View Post
    God forbid tanks can lose aggro and CC and marks need to be used. Where is the fun if all you have to do is press one button and you instantly never have to worry about threat or protecting your party.

The game isn't modern WoW, tanking in this game requires slightly more thought and setup.
    God forbid DPS and healers can wait before going ham and can also CC and marks. But, well, I hardly see that.

And yeah, it's not modern WoW, tanking requires a group with a brain.

10+ Year Old Account
    So wish same recruit couldn't show up again within that week..

..there's this one recruit I'd like to have, and she can only appear from FATE -challenges (along with Gold Saucer wildcard), and after completing both FATE -challenges this week, got same (wrong) recruit from both of them. So now I'll need to wait another week to try it again.

Not really liking current system, I pay thousands of GC seals each week, just to get opportunity to kick Lalafells out of the door.

Quote Originally Posted by Kazela View Post
    The tab targeting in this game is a bit wonky, especially when you're used to WoW's tab targeting for years. That doesn't help with tanking, either.
    I've noticed since I started playing WoW again that its tab targeting is starting to act strange like it does in FFXIV. Trying to target a creature right in front of me, no elevation difference, no obstacles or anything else that could impede my sight, but the game instead targets something behind a wall to my extreme right or left. Or on the level below/above me, or about 3 times farther away than any spell I have.

Other times I've noticed if I'm in combat with 2-3 creatures and try to tab target another to pull into the group for AoE fun, the game will just cycle through those 2-3 already aggroed to me. Or the opposite: I try to tab target the ones I'm already fighting and instead cycle through about 8 that aren't in range and I'm not in combat with.

I'd gotten used to FFXIV doing odd things like that and kept thinking how much better it was in WoW. Until I started playing again. Now they seem to act pretty much the same way.

I'm also getting annoyed with the camera. Zoom out to have a decent field of view and end up staring at the backside of a tapestry on the wall/the other side of some trees that completely block my view/etc. I wish the game had some way to detect that your character isn't currently being displayed on your screen and would forcibly zoom in until it was.
    Last edited by Scufflegrit; 2016-10-26 at 10:43 PM.
    One day I was walking and I found this big log. Then I rolled the log over and underneath was a tiny little stick.
    And I was like, "That log had a child!"

Deleted
    I have such a good time right now, restarted with my 52 dragoon - was boring job, no reaction just many hotkeys to push in some order. But now I started with bard. Haha if I knew this alternative was available I never would have bought Legion. Will try monk as well soon, but first comes bard pushing to max level and looking what the meta here is at the moment. (Hell - I posted about .hack PS2 games being great due to their random generated dungeons and how it would be great to have them in MMORPGs - AND NOW WHAT did they do with POTD? greatness!)

and next week palace of the dead quadruples in size and becomes a huge Tactics Ogre thing

Currently running my WAR through to get them through the 30-40 hump because you can only tank haukke manor so many times before going crazy and i got 2 samsonian locks from one run... only now undercutters sank the price from 2 million gil two weeks aog to 20k now. Good old Market Board -_-

But i got my 7th Padjali weapon, wonder if theres a reward for getting all 13?

Isn't Diadem being changed as well in the upcoming patch?

I aint gonna lie, i don't know anyone thats even been to Diadem once.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Graeham View Post
    I believe so. Hopefully they make it worthwhile again. I'll probably end up doing diadem regardless if that is indeed where the dark pegasus is.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dope_danny View Post
    I have. Once. Was as boring as I imagined it to be.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    We had FC runs there in 3.1, but yeah, I don't know anyone who goes there anymore.

15+ Year Old Account
    Mostly only gatherers now, and people who really want the pegasus mount.

Has been a while since I set foot in the current diadem.
    It had potential but they made it too go farm these mobs to much.

Would have been nice to get multiple zones and a more explore thing. Adding some puzzles to solve aka Haukke manor style (current event dungeon) to trigger closed seals/doors or spawning specific mobs/chests or for bonus rewards or something.

Quote Originally Posted by MaraStarfury View Post

Tanking M+'s is harder than any tank content I've done in FF14. Sometimes requiring kiting, cc chains, interrupts and maintaining both cooldowns and AM. In FF14? Press big CD, win game.

I do however agree with your statement. Tanking should be interactive and there should be a penalty for failing it, and should feel rewarding for doing it successfully.

Quote Originally Posted by Anzaman View Post
    Not really liking current system, I pay thousands of GC seals each week, just to get opportunity to kick Lalafells out of the door.
    Some may consider that the best feature about squadrons at this point.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Graeham View Post
    I don't recall any specifics mentioned about Diadem for 3.45. That said, preliminary patch notes should be up tomorrow, perhaps, so maybe we will know one way or another at that time.

- - - Updated - - -

Went there once with a group of 6-7 of us. 30 mins of just beating on mobs that have seemingly 100 million hp (don't think I had ACT at that time so no idea of their actual hp). By the 20 min mark, I was falling asleep at the keyboard.