Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Eh, it would be a waste to do it now. Fall launch chaos has already started and it will be in full swing throughout November, and then you have the December month which is basically a monthlong holiday. I don't think anyone really announces major new shit in the last two months of the year because it's such a nightmare to compete for news coverage in. They need to go quiet to prep for 2017 during this time so they can have their ducks in a row to hit the ground running full speed in January for a March launch.
    For normal advertisement you are correct but Nintendo isn't normal. They will release a direct video and get fuck tons of views.

Look at there youtube video for the reveal. 18million views since release. Nintendo needs to keep this ball rolling or it will be a repeat of the Wii-U in marketing.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    It's not even that optimistic tbh. PS4 was near 4 mil in the same time span. It's a realistic projection if they're counting on getting the handheld market, and demand could in fact go well beyond that if they can convince enough of the 3DS market to want it.
    The major difference between the Nintendo Switch and Playstation 4. Is that the Ps4 was seen as the gamers console and now some bullshit Microsoft was doing. Sony was rolling on hype and dog Microsoft every step of the way.

Nintendo needs to keep pushing because they are coming off the massive failer of the Wii-U.

But hey maybe I am wrong and this will work. I hope whatever Nintendo decides to do does work, But I don't see them marketing a system for 2 months as being enough to hype it. Even more so when they mainly just do youtube videos and that's it.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't see 2 mil as that bad a target, I think this idea is a total mess but there are clearly passionate people who think this is the second coming. With the right launch titles it's doable. I still think long term it will tank.

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    Even more so when they mainly just do youtube videos and that's it.
    lmao, not even close to true. All the major Nintendo IPs get major ad presence on TV and internet a like. Hell when Splatoon came out it didn't matter what channel you where watching you would see an ad every hour at min for it.

Switch launching in march means they can bombard February/March in the same fashion without have to compete with money and time for 100s of other video game ads, best buy and walmart ads etc.

The problem is you think time is part of marketing when it's not, and nothing Nintendo does now is going to capture the eyes of the casual crowd. It's how they attack the casual crowd close to release that matters for them. No mom is going to remember this thing in march from an ad she sees today.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    I don't see 2 mil as that bad a target, I think this idea is a total mess but there are clearly passionate people who think this is the second coming. With the right launch titles it's doable. I still think long term it will tank.
    2 mil is a conservative target that will mean nothing even if they reach or surpass it. Even the Wii U managed to pass 2 mil WW by mid Jan when it came out in November, a Nintendo hardware piece is always going to do a few mil in the launch window to the hardcore nintendo fan base. It's how it will fare after that, that really matters.

The success of this thing will remain in how viable it is as a handheld and how viable the handheld gaming market stays steady after the massive collapse post DS/PSP era. Anyone who thinks the home console part of this is giving it any hope is in looney ville. The only reason that's even there is for Nintendo to stay somewhat loyal and give you an option to play on your TV but make no mistake this is virtually Nintendo trying to become a hand held only manufacturer.

Another key to the success of this thing is Japan adopting it. People may not realize or want to believe it but the 3DS would have been a massive flop if not for Japan making up over 1/3rd of it's install base. That's the smallest region of the major Nintendo ones making up the majority of the install base. If Japan doesn't like this thing it's dead as a doornail.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2016-10-27 at 06:27 AM.

I think the issue they'll have here is they don't want to sell the tablet separately (at least at first), but if you take it along somewhere, nobody at home can play it. Which doesn't mesh well with Nintendo's usual "get the family together and play" marketing of the system. And to get people to carry it around as their tablet, hopefully it has good browser support and all of the major apps people expect to use on tablets. Hopefully it has better battery life for general use than the stated 3-4hrs for gaming.

For normal advertisement you are correct but Nintendo isn't normal. They will release a direct video and get fuck tons of views.
    No, in general. It's a terrible time to make major announcements and try to get headlines. Seriously, this is a launch/holiday window, not a time to make major news announcements, and an even worse time to be running a marketing campaign (which is more than just advertising) in full swing.

Look at there youtube video for the reveal. 18million views since release. Nintendo needs to keep this ball rolling or it will be a repeat of the Wii-U in marketing.
    This situation wasn't the issue for the Wii U, it was their failure to differentiate it from the Wii to the general market and their inability to sell it to non-Nintendo folks or convince third parties to support it.

Yeah, their reveal video is going to get solid views, but trying to sustain momentum and interest with one major launch after another followed by most of the industry shutting down for much of December is ludicrously stupid.

Like, any marketing person in the industry would tell you that such a campaign poses such insanely high costs and risks that it's almost never going to be worth the risk under any circumstance.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    No, in general. It's a terrible time to make major announcements and try to get headlines. Seriously, this is a launch/holiday window, not a time to make major news announcements, and an even worse time to be running a marketing campaign (which is more than just advertising) in full swing.

This situation wasn't the issue for the Wii U, it was their failure to differentiate it from the Wii to the general market and their inability to sell it to non-Nintendo folks or convince third parties to support it.

Yeah, their reveal video is going to get solid views, but trying to sustain momentum and interest with one major launch after another followed by most of the industry shutting down for much of December is ludicrously stupid.

Like, any marketing person in the industry would tell you that such a campaign poses such insanely high costs and risks that it's almost never going to be worth the risk under any circumstance.
    We can agree to disagree. Personally I think they should have talked about the Switch a lot sooner then they did.

I hope it does well and as it stands it has a good chance to be a day 1 buy for me. Just depends what games are on it at release. Not buying a port of a 3rd party game that's old.

I give zero fucks about skyrim and it being mobile lol.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

I give zero fucks about skyrim and it being mobile lol.
    I think the point of Skyrim being in the trailer is it's now an official handheld experience, rather than being something relegated to strictly a console or PCs.

Unless thinner more recent laptops can run Skyrim decently.

Quote Originally Posted by johnhoftb View Post
    I think the point of Skyrim being in the trailer is it's now an official handheld experience, rather than being something relegated to strictly a console or PCs.
    Welcome to 2013: http://www.forbes.com/sites/jasoneva.../#2f0a588375a2

Unless thinner more recent laptops can run Skyrim decently.
    If they have even a shit AMD or Nvidia GPU in them, yes they can. Intel graphics will have issues but it doesn't take much horse power at all to run vanilla Skyrim.

Skyrim has been a handheld experiance for awhile now. Nvidia

Welcome to 2013: http://www.forbes.com/sites/jasoneva.../#2f0a588375a2

If they have even a shit AMD or Nvidia GPU in them, yes they can. Intel graphics will have issues but it doesn't take much horse power at all to run vanilla Skyrim.

Skyrim has been a handheld experiance for awhile now. Nvidia
    My bad then. I didn't do much research when I posted this cause I was tired.

Maybe it will make it more mainstream, perhaps?

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articl...ans-for-switch

First interview with Kimishima since the announcement. He mentions hardware accessories will be announced next year, the system is part of a larger ecosystem (like what him and Iwata has said before), and they " want people to touch the device in January and experience the software for themselves."

- - - Updated - - -

Also, in a Direct this morning, Monster Hunter XX was announced with a March 18th release in Japan. Someone on another forum I go to was speculating that there may be a simultaneous release on the Switch, and that might be when the release is.

We won't know for sure until January.

- - - Updated - - -

http://letsplayvideogames.com/2016/1...al-usb-drives/

One more, RUMOR: Switch to not support USB External Hard Drives.

LPVG's source said Nintendo thinks an external Hard Drive would cause the system to be seen as less inherently portable.

Time to see how expensive a 1 TB SD card is.

It's not even that optimistic tbh. PS4 was near 4 mil in the same time span. It's a realistic projection if they're counting on getting the handheld market, and demand could in fact go well beyond that if they can convince enough of the 3DS market to want it.
    The PSQuadruple launched in time for the holidays. And, in your own words...

2 mil is a conservative target that will mean nothing even if they reach or surpass it. Even the Wii U managed to pass 2 mil WW by mid Jan when it came out in November, a Nintendo hardware piece is always going to do a few mil in the launch window to the hardcore nintendo fan base. It's how it will fare after that, that really matters.
    They MISSED that same sales mark with their last console, which DID launch in time for the holidays and had no competition with PS4 Pro and Xbox One S. This should make you more skeptical, not less, of its potential success.
    Girls are a hoax created by the Japanese anime industry to scam otaku out of their money.

http://nintendoeverything.com/koei-t...ion-to-switch/

Koei Techmo is bringing Nobunaga's Ambition to the Switch.

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...i-touch-screen

Multiple sources, including the ones who leaked the Switch's gimmick to Eurogamer back in July, have said the Switch has a 6.2'', 720p, capacitive multi-touch screen.

Also, in a Direct this morning, Monster Hunter XX was announced with a March 18th release in Japan. Someone on another forum I go to was speculating that there may be a simultaneous release on the Switch, and that might be when the release is.

We won't know for sure until January.
    Here's the direct with the Double Cross trailer.

10+ Year Old Account
    seems no USB for Switch, but SD cards will be usable.

Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    seems no USB for Switch, but SD cards will be usable.
    There are clear USB ports on the side of the dock. There just won't be any on the handheld.

10+ Year Old Account
    There are clear USB ports on the side of the dock. There just won't be any on the handheld.

https://www.gamnesia.com/news/report...nal-usb-drives

http://letsplayvideogames.com/2016/1...ickstand-mode/

Rumor: Trailer Prototype uses USB type C for charging. Port located on the center of the bottom edge.

This is game changing if it remains this way as now I don't have to buy a new cord from Nintendo or a third party just to charge up my Switch. I can just use one of my existing ones.

The port at the bottom of the screen means you can't charge while in Kickstand mode.Third party charge stands incoming!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    Ah. You should've been more clear on HDD USB.

Quote Originally Posted by Truhan View Post
    The PSQuadruple launched in time for the holidays. And, in your own words...

They MISSED that same sales mark with their last console, which DID launch in time for the holidays and had no competition with PS4 Pro and Xbox One S. This should make you more skeptical, not less, of its potential success.
    Your avatar is fitting if you're really silly enough to believe what you just posted matters.

1) PS3 launched during holiday season, tell me about how those launch numbers worked out.

2) No 3DS model has ever launched during holiday season, yet somehow it has sold like 48 million more then the Wii U which had a vaunted holiday release date.

Hmmmmmmm. Sorry that I had to Mickey Gall you. Happens.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2016-10-27 at 09:34 PM.

Your avatar is fitting if you're really silly enough to believe what you just posted matters.

1) PS3 launched during holiday season, tell me about how those launch numbers worked out.

2) No 3DS model has ever launched during holiday season, yet somehow it has sold like 48 million more then the Wii U which had a vaunted holiday release date.

Hmmmmmmm. Sorry that I had to Mickey Gall you. Happens.
    You're not really giving any good arguments for why it WILL sell well. The PS3 also had competition (the great selling Wii and the Xbox 360) and was overpriced (FIVE HUNDRED NINETY-NINE US DOLLARS). The 3DS had notoriously slow sales until later, when they cut the price (and gave a free game to people that bought it at launch price) and they pushed out the 2DS. The 3DS also had very weak competition (just the Vita, which never did well). The 3DS certainly did far better than I ever expected it to, though. I suspect the PS4 Pro will be much stronger competition for the Switch than you expect.
    Last edited by Truhan; 2016-10-27 at 10:11 PM.
    Girls are a hoax created by the Japanese anime industry to scam otaku out of their money.

Deleted
    Still don't see why people complained about the cost of the PS3. It wasn't that much more than the xbox360 and you could use normal PC hardrives,it had bluray,was a computer up until Sony screwed its users, multiple memory card support, Super Audio CD support and didn't burn out like the 360s did.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    From the looks of it is surpisingly thick, approximately 14mm, extrapolating from the 3.5mm jack. Where as a tablet is maybe around 5-7mm height.
    I don't even think the size is that much of an issue. Consider where we have come as far as tablets and even laptops are concerned, it's not that big of an issue assuming you are carrying it in some form of a case in a bag.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffyman View Post
    Still don't see why people complained about the cost of the PS3. It wasn't that much more than the xbox360 and you could use normal PC hardrives,it had bluray,was a computer up until Sony screwed its users, multiple memory card support, Super Audio CD support and didn't burn out like the 360s did.
    $800 CAD at release (iirc) was a lot of coin to spend on a gaming system. Granted, our dollar was trash then, but it was still hilariously overpriced when building a computer could be done with better specs for the price.