Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    That's how "nameplate dotting" looks for me after enemygrid has gone. Is there anything that will stop them overlapping each other? imgur. com/a/YdcyY

Quote Originally Posted by Gob View Post
    They don't mind party and raid frames, they don't mind arena enemy frames, they don't mind boss frames...
    But somehow they mind mob frames?
    Yes, because they themselves didn't manage to come up with a good way to make them yet and they are so obviously basic that they can only accept everyone having them or nobody having them.
    (Had they just copied what enemy grid does then people would complain that sometimes useless mobs are shown and interesting ones are omitted.)

This is just such a QoL downgrade and almost certainly a DPS loss in dungeons, which is why I can somewhat understand why they made the change.
    Player A using Enemygrid would have a signicant advantage over player B using default UI, simply because of how hard it is to target specific mobs in tightly grouped packs from a distance.
    What I don't understand is why they didn't come up with any alternatives (i.e. default UI options) before stripping this from us.
    And for those of you comparing the current state of shadow to past expansions - please stop. The urgency/resource management is completely different now and the need to target a specific mob in a large pack is frequent, particularly now that the game is driving us towards Mythic+, where efficiently killing trash is a huge part of the game

Quote Originally Posted by Maldazaar View Post
    Practice your rotation? That definitely solves the issue with 5-6 regular nameplates overlapping and being unable to click the one without dots so you can apply em, or shall I just tab 3 times till I actually target the one I want to apply dots to? All that while trying to stay in voidform or fight with the sometimes retarded camera. God forbid players having fun in WoW.

While they are at it, perhaps they should remove the party/raid frames as well, so healers like you be clicking on friendlyname plates.
    This is pretty much the ultimate and only argument that needs to be made. Can you fucking imagine how ridiculous it would be to ask healers to only heal off of clicking nameplates in the field?

Welcome to being a DPS right now. Giant ugly shitty stacks of nameplates where you can't see what the fuck is going on. Even worse if you're melee.

Deleted
    It'd actually expect it to be easier for melees as they have a lot of cleave and expect for interrupts don't really seem to care what mob they're targeting but that's just my impression.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuriisu View Post
    ... Just in general I don't mind the route they're taking in making the game a bit harder, stuff like removing enemygrid, breaking DBM/WA functions, they were simply way to good and in many cases they 100% trivialized encounters/classes and whatnot. ...
    I do agree that breaking some of it probably might be beneficial in the long run. On the other hand the question is why people rely on those addons and it's not always just because it's easy. When was the last time a fight properly gave you an idea how far away you needed to be from your group if there was situation that meant you'd have to keep a distance of say 5 yards (Rot if I'm not mistaken)?

... Find a good nameplate addon, learn to mouseover or tabtarget and get better instead of QQing on forums how blizzard is dumb for taking overpowered toys away (Even tho boss frames still exist.). ...
    So which one is a good one? For me that would mean one which doesn't bug out like TidyPlates and prevents overlapping while also having a sensible display of debuffs.

... I don't know what blizzard is thinking and why are they doing what they are but to me it looks like the want us to interact more with the game rather then just let addons do it for us instead. ...
    It's interaction to click nameplates or press tab? I don't need to face the mob or have any idea of where it is standing either if I use tab targeting. So how is it different?

See if there is 2 people of relatively same skill level, person A using enemygrid would have quite an advantage over person B that did not have the same addon for whatever reason and I'm assuming they weren't okay with that.
    See if there is 2 people of relatively same skill level, person A using macros would have quite an advantage over person B that did not have the same macro for whatever reason and I'm assuming they are okay with that.

Don't forget that they recently introduced @Player and @Cursor as well, which makes macros more powerful again. If it is all about a level playing field why have those? After all in regards to macros you actually have to dig around the net and find one that does a sensible thing or try to understand how those things work. Meanwhile there doesn't seem to be any official documentation, they aren't cross language compatible and there is no in-game documentation or tool available to help you build them.

Quote Originally Posted by teverin View Post
    I use tidy plates and it doesn't get too bad. There is some overlap but still enough for me to mouse over the one I want.
    And now a screenshot from an actual instance in a fight where you're trying to multi dot the trash. You know? The ones where mobs are constantly moving, minor ones are dying and the nameplates are in constant movement. Maybe Black Rook Hold would be a good example or Eye of Azshara.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Atwaru View Post

See if there is 2 people of relatively same skill level, person A using macros would have quite an advantage over person B that did not have the same macro for whatever reason and I'm assuming they are okay with that.

Don't forget that they recently introduced @Player and @Cursor as well, which makes macros more powerful again. If it is all about a level playing field why have those? After all in regards to macros you actually have to dig around the net and find one that does a sensible thing or try to understand how those things work. Meanwhile there doesn't seem to be any official documentation, they aren't cross language compatible and there is no in-game documentation or tool available to help you build them.
    Macros are in game by default tho, they are not benefit of some addon, nor are they improved 10 million times by using one, they are tool given to everyone, it's in the game, you don't have to download 3rd party addon to have them. It's not the same thing.

Macros are in game by default tho, they are not benefit of some addon, nor are they improved 10 million times by using one, they are tool given to everyone, it's in the game, you don't have to download 3rd party addon to have them. It's not the same thing.
    Enemy plates are in the game by default, this addon just put them in a nice organised frame to help you TARGET them better.

Deleted
    They are? Did I miss something? I had to set them up myself. There are no default ones that tell you what you can do or how to set them up. I had to research a good bit to get them working and that is out of the game. There is no official documentation and certainly none ingame.

I'm pretty sure pressing one button for PI, VE, Mind Bender and my on use Trinket is way faster than anything you could accomplish without using them. I'm pretty sure it's faster and safer to have a @Player macro to cast Holy feathers on myself and, as multiple times suggested in this thread, it's way different to use mouseover macros than clicking or tabbing and casting using your normal actionbar.

Just to make a bit fun of it: The LUA API is part of the game as well. So if I manage to get an enemy grid cobbled together/downloaded why would it not be fine? You could do the same thing as you have access to the same API. In a simpler case I might be able to check my progress on a questline using the LUA API while you'd be standing around wondering where you left off or whenever you'd killed the World Boss already or not.

*Edit*: I do think I understand why you're against it but it doesn't seem all that logical from my perspective. Because those changes just mean I'm not going to bother. It will be a DPS loss and all but I just can't be bothered to make my play style even more hectic. It's just one more reason not to do Mythic+ and one reason to be very selective about what I attack in Raids.
    Last edited by mmoc79972df15a; 2016-10-28 at 09:08 AM.

Deleted
    Playing with tidyplates

http: //i.imgur.com/TkYby3o.jpg
    http: //i.imgur.com/vjxOgeZ.jpg

And this last one is having the targets at longer range (as if I'm in a dungeon and they are being tanked, its the same)
    http: //i.imgur.com/M1hxBt7.jpg

I tried the cvars from fifth page, they didn't seem to work for me
    And sorry for breaking the links down, apparently I cannot post links

No one is saying its unplayable, or that we wont get used to it.. But come the fuck on, does this even look fun to you? Sure, let em remove enemy grid, but why isn't there enemy frames just like the party/raid ones? Why does one has to resort to downloading addons in order to target stuff, since clearly the tab targetting/name plates are complete shit...
    We getting classes gutted and dumbed down, we get QoL left and right, even smart casting that can also be made to be casted directly beneath a player, but we can't have "smart targetting" because thats too much of a cheat..
    Last edited by mmoca2fb2712c7; 2016-10-28 at 10:33 AM.

Deleted
    Works decently for me.

http: //i.imgur.com/GzAlalP.jpg

(The WA layout is old, it looks something like http: //i.imgur.com/f5kZXc8.jpg now if you care)

Set Nameplates to stacking instead of overlapping. Run the Cvars to help them spread a bit. I also scaled Tidyplates down a bit to make more room for the dots.

Bigger problem is certain bosses where the nameplates go above the screen like Xavius and the Horror in phase 1. In that phase, I have to either accept that I can't nameplate track (which is why I have ellipsis) or I have to turn my Camera to almost ground level.
    Last edited by mmoc82170fb1de; 2016-10-28 at 11:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by felirx View Post
    Works decently for me.

http: //i.imgur.com/GzAlalP.jpg

(The WA layout is old, it looks something like http: //i.imgur.com/f5kZXc8.jpg now if you care)

Set Nameplates to stacking instead of overlapping. Run the Cvars to help them spread a bit. I also scaled Tidyplates down a bit to make more room for the dots.

Bigger problem is certain bosses where the nameplates go above the screen like Xavius and the Horror in phase 1. In that phase, I have to either accept that I can't nameplate track (which is why I have ellipsis) or I have to turn my Camera to almost ground level.
    sigh.
    only 3 targets
    player elevated so nameplates start lower on the screen
    immobile targets

Go do the bat gauntlet in BRH and tell me you can keep dots up on the Fel Dominators using nameplates.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Atwaru View Post
    They are? Did I miss something? I had to set them up myself. There are no default ones that tell you what you can do or how to set them up. I had to research a good bit to get them working and that is out of the game. There is no official documentation and certainly none ingame.

I'm pretty sure pressing one button for PI, VE, Mind Bender and my on use Trinket is way faster than anything you could accomplish without using them. I'm pretty sure it's faster and safer to have a @Player macro to cast Holy feathers on myself and, as multiple times suggested in this thread, it's way different to use mouseover macros than clicking or tabbing and casting using your normal actionbar.

Just to make a bit fun of it: The LUA API is part of the game as well. So if I manage to get an enemy grid cobbled together/downloaded why would it not be fine? You could do the same thing as you have access to the same API. In a simpler case I might be able to check my progress on a questline using the LUA API while you'd be standing around wondering where you left off or whenever you'd killed the World Boss already or not.

*Edit*: I do think I understand why you're against it but it doesn't seem all that logical from my perspective. Because those changes just mean I'm not going to bother. It will be a DPS loss and all but I just can't be bothered to make my play style even more hectic. It's just one more reason not to do Mythic+ and one reason to be very selective about what I attack in Raids.
    Hello ? Yes game doesn't automatically make macros for you but it makes them available to you, you do not need to download anything to use them, they are in game by default, the macro function is. You do not need addosn to make macros work and that's a fact.

No one is arguing how useful macros are, we all know they are. A friendly tip, you shouldn't use that kind of macro on a shadow priest, it's horrible.

Blizzard breaking Enemy Grid without giving us an alternative is just pathetic. Nothing will change in raids and in Mythic+ where we werent that strong anyways things will get more chaotic. It's not even a big dps loss just super annoying and clunky.

Let's make all the resto druids track their lifebloom, regrowth, 2 rejuvs and whatnot targetting the tanks then... better yet lets make them blanket rejuv group 4 in raid without the frames... yeah not gonna happend.... it's the same thing! People arguing against it do not realise how these are the exact same thing... just with friendly targets while we have to tab like a mad person to keep track of ours.

Herald of the Titans Orangetai420's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gromral View Post
    If i understand the Patchnotes correctly there is no way to do something like enemygrid anymore.
    So does this mean battleground targets is broken too?
    MMO-C, home of the worst community on the internet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Enemy Grid can still be usefull for information. For instance you can still use it to list out the enemies around you and whether or not you have a dot on them. Tab targeting will still highlight which one you currently have active target on so you know when and when not to recast a dot etc etc etc.

Im not getting rid of it for that reason.
    Last edited by Symmone; 2016-10-28 at 06:33 PM.

Deleted
    Hello ? Yes game doesn't automatically make macros for you but it makes them available to you, you do not need to download anything to use them, they are in game by default, the macro function is. You do not need addosn to make macros work and that's a fact.

No one is arguing how useful macros are, we all know they are. A friendly tip, you shouldn't use that kind of macro on a shadow priest, it's horrible.
    So how would someone who doesn't know how to download an addon learn about macros which are far more complicated and whose documentation is dotted all around. How is copy pasting macros different from downloading addons? It might sound harsh but I never reallyed liked using macros and if we assume that we're supposed to use macros I wonder why there is no better integration/help for them. You're not even able to lookup the syntax. Not even in a more technical way which in theory shouldn't be that hard.

Thanks for the tip and you're probably right about it but not doing it like that would probably mean that I'd skip VE/trinkets. Pulling out PI might be a good idea.

You still have to look them up to know what commands you can use. There is no ingame documentation of note.

People consider being good at multi-dotting to be a "skill" --- it's only a "skill" because of the incredibly shit and tedious default UI... this wouldn't have been much of an issue for me personally, if they had fucking fixed tab-targeting and overlapping nameplates.

Quote Originally Posted by tehzor View Post
    Player A using Enemygrid would have a signicant advantage over player B using default UI, simply because of how hard it is to target specific mobs in tightly grouped packs from a distance.
    The same could be said about macro users vs non-macro users... yet that's been around since the dawn of WoW.
    Last edited by Daedius; 2016-10-28 at 06:35 PM.

Deleted
    Here's a better representation of how Tidyplates can look. http: //i.imgur.com/97znLtu.jpg
    I disabled all the damage numbers after this since they make it completely unusable.

I'm not saying this is better than Enemygrid, just adequate at most. It's still painful if the targets move around a lot. With enemy grid, it was really easy to rotate void bolts on 3-4 targets by just going down the list. There is also a problem with casting mobs, where the enemy cast bars tend to hide the dot timers from a nameplate below.