How hard is it to build a PC?

Friend told me, "It's like putting legos together"

Is it really that simple? What are things you wish you knew the first time you built a PC?

I wish I knew how to cable manage properly the first time. It is very easy, very plug and play now days. Also, reading instructions is very useful your first few times before it becomes second nature (And even then I still recommend it)

Aveline's amazing work!

Nope, sometimes lego bricks stuck together and its near imposible to seperate them.
    I would say building a pc is more like Duplo.

Just watch some youtube vids and read a guide.

Deleted
    I built my first computer with the help of some lovely people from MMO Champ ~a year ago. Once you have all the parts, it really is very simple, just follow some video guide and you will be fine. The only complicated thing (imo) is buying the right components in the first place. I still don't know what's compatible with each other and stuff... :P

Quote Originally Posted by HudriWudri View Post
    I built my first computer with the help of some lovely people from MMO Champ ~a year ago. Once you have all the parts, it really is very simple, just follow some video guide and you will be fine. The only complicated thing (imo) is buying the right components in the first place. I still don't know what's compatible with each other and stuff... :P
    I was actually looking at this

http://www.mmo-champion.com/build-of-the-month/

Unicorn only 1300 dollars? Not bad.

But I'm just so scared that I might fuck something up. My biggest fear is installing the CPU. Also I need a case big enough I can fit my hands in.. I currently have a HAF 912 and that thing is so tight for me to fit my hands in. (I had to change the fans out a couple time) Changing out fans is literally all I know how to do.. So if building a PC is as easy as putting fans in, I may take a shot at it.

10+ Year Old Account
    This guy Carey Holzman on youtube is a great place to learn imo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xke5Kn51vqI
    thats part one for a gaming pc building guide

10+ Year Old Account
    2 biggest issues with building PC for people, people bend CPU pins because they're in a hurry and people wear wool socks and rub their feet on carpet while handling the motherboard.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    I built my first PC at the age of 12 with no real prior experience. Everything was labeled and there were directions that, when followed, made it as easy as assembling your average Lego kit. These days we have the Youtubes. If you watch decent guides on there(and a few from different sources) it should give you all the confidence you need to get through the process. Maybe even have one open that you pause as you go through the stages of assembling your first self-built system.

- - - Updated - - -

2 things:

1) There are plenty of big cases.
    2) you should be installing the CPU into the mobo outside the case before you install the mobo in the case. It makes life much easier.

And, yes, it's basically as easy as installing new fans.
    Thank you for this. Knowing myself, I'd probably do it the retarded and hard way and try to install the CPU after I put the motherboard in the case. lol

My current PC I built myself, 3 years ago, with top end specs back then -- was a lot easier than I expected. If I can do it, you sure as hell can!

10+ Year Old Account
    It's pretty easy if you just watch a quick YouTube video now and days. When I was 16 my dad allowed me to buy a fancy 64-bit Intel processor with his tax return and I had 0 prior experience working with computers. It was an expensive purchase at the time aaaaand didn't fit into the motherboard I had because it was a different socket type. A few hundred dollars later and profusely begging my dad to let me buy "Just one more part because the old one won't fit!" I had built my first rig. It was a learning experience that started a passion that I love today. I'd definitely suggest checking YouTube however. It is easy and pressing the power button on for the first time and seeing your new machine POST is one of the most satisfying feelings.

Deleted
    Depends on your hardware knowledge. You need to know what socket the motherboard uses , and buy a CPU that matches it. Same goes for other parts.
    If you know that stuff, yes then it is easy to put it together.
    If you buy a CPU and fan separately then you also need to buy cooling paste and apply it properly.
    You also want to make sure, that you psu is strong enough to run your hardware.

I build my first PC 16 years ago, and things like mounting the CPU fan have become super easy since then. For most cases it is just place it and turn 3 sticks + connect the power to it.

Perhaps the hardest part (if any) is cable stuff.

I built my first computer about 18 years ago I think. It wasn't too hard for me back then because I was working in electronics. I remember it had a 500 MHz amd cpu and a voodoo video card. I bought windows 98 for it and it ran pretty good. I made a couple mistakes at first but I didn't break it.