Thread: [TV] Gotham

Page 32 of 39 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    So do you guys think Nygma genuinely cares for Penguin, or is what he told Butch about wanting to be number one himself actually true? Is he just putting on an act to his own end? He's a pretty difficult character to read sometimes, not nearly as clear cut as Penguin.

Quote Originally Posted by Yunru View Post
    I think they scruved up the mad hatter. There should be 2 fat kids with weird hats:

http://images5.fanpop.com/image/poll...g?v=1318179812

(unless those 2 were minions at table)
    Yes, the two at the table are his minions. They said their names a few times, Deever and Dumfree Tweed, an obvious reference to Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Seegtease View Post
    So do you guys think Nygma genuinely cares for Penguin, or is what he told Butch about wanting to be number one himself actually true? Is he just putting on an act to his own end? He's a pretty difficult character to read sometimes, not nearly as clear cut as Penguin.
    I think he actually is grateful to Penguin and really does view him as a friend. That's going to go away quickly though when this ridiculous gay attraction thing from Penguin gives them a nice and easy betrayal story.

Quote Originally Posted by Pengalor View Post
    I think he actually is grateful to Penguin and really does view him as a friend. That's going to go away quickly though when this ridiculous gay attraction thing from Penguin gives them a nice and easy betrayal story.
    I'm not opposed to a gay relationship in a show in general, but the way it was so rushed and contrived makes me feel like rather than making it a natural fit into the story that the network has some kind of quota they have to meet and fit it in any way possible.

Deleted
    I'm not opposed to a gay relationship in a show in general, but the way it was so rushed and contrived makes me feel like rather than making it a natural fit into the story that the network has some kind of quota they have to meet and fit it in any way possible.
    Yeah. It feels just so transparently manufactured for purposes other than good storytelling. You know, the times we're living in. That's why it's there. No other reason.

Yeah, that's my issue as well. I don't really care that it wouldn't be canon or anything like that, I just want character development to actually make some sort of sense. At least with Barbara and Tabitha it was clear that she had a major personality shift so her suddenly being attracted to women was in context. With this they went from acquaintances to best friends to now Penguin is in love so quickly, and with no indication that Penguin was even sexual, much less gay. It's like they said 'hey, we can throw in a gay attraction and have an easy reason for Penguin to hate Nygma, it's perfect!'. In reality, it just seems like a cheap attempt to score brownie points when it doesn't do anything to enrich the story.

I don't know, they did so well with Mad Hatter that I'm willing to overlook the silliness. It doesn't kill the show for me, it's just frustrating to see. I'm still wondering where they're going with the captain, he seems to be starting to lose control. Would be a shame to see him killed off so I'm interested to see where they develop it.

I'm still wondering where they're going with the captain, he seems to be starting to lose control. Would be a shame to see him killed off so I'm interested to see where they develop it.
    Heh, it's amusing though. It's like they saw they had Michael Chiklis and just knew they had to give him super strength. Off the top of my head, he had the same power in the single season series No Ordinary Family and was The Thing in Fantastic Four.

Heh, it's amusing though. It's like they saw they had Michael Chiklis and just knew they had to give him super strength. Off the top of my head, he had the same power in the single season series No Ordinary Family and was The Thing in Fantastic Four.
    Haha, thought the same thing. He was also a strongman in American Horror Story: Freak Show, poor guy is probably going to catch that typecasting for the rest of his career. At least he does an admirable job with it.

Yeah, that's my issue as well. I don't really care that it wouldn't be canon or anything like that, I just want character development to actually make some sort of sense. At least with Barbara and Tabitha it was clear that she had a major personality shift so her suddenly being attracted to women was in context. With this they went from acquaintances to best friends to now Penguin is in love so quickly, and with no indication that Penguin was even sexual, much less gay. It's like they said 'hey, we can throw in a gay attraction and have an easy reason for Penguin to hate Nygma, it's perfect!'. In reality, it just seems like a cheap attempt to score brownie points when it doesn't do anything to enrich the story.

I don't know, they did so well with Mad Hatter that I'm willing to overlook the silliness. It doesn't kill the show for me, it's just frustrating to see. I'm still wondering where they're going with the captain, he seems to be starting to lose control. Would be a shame to see him killed off so I'm interested to see where they develop it.
    Barbara was with Montoya before she was even with Jim

Sent from my C6743 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by CR77 View Post
    Barbara was with Montoya before she was even with Jim

Sent from my C6743 using Tapatalk
    Yeah Barbara has been portrayed as bisexual in this show pretty much since the beginning, so her being with Tabitha isn't out of the ordinary.

Actually the Penguin possibly being gay makes some sense, he's the one Batman villain that I don't ever recall having very many women present.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Feredir View Post
    Actually the Penguin possibly being gay makes some sense, he's the one Batman villain that I don't ever recall having very many women present.
    Its new tho. Well but since there are multiple universes in batman, having a gay penguin is pretty much possible.
    Don't sweat the details!!!

Why on earth they had to push the gay thing is Beyond belief.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gmollster11 View Post
    Its popular for some unknown reason. Probaly to get more wievs.

Quote Originally Posted by Gmollster11 View Post
    I mean it made a lot of sense with Barbara, that didn't feel forced whatsoever. But this? I always figured Penguin was pretty much asexual, or just too busy with his endeavors to think about love. Or possibly just too obsessed with his mother that anybody else in his life would be a disappointment.

Quote Originally Posted by Feredir View Post
    Well he does hate fish...

10+ Year Old Account
    .....the ending....oh...s**t. Didnt expect that.

Deleted
    Wait, so... (Spoilers from episode 8.) Barnes just used the "I am the law!" -line from Judge Dredd, and while there's a character called "The Judge" in the DC universe, there were also crossovers of Batman and Judge Dredd. So is Barnes some kind of a Dredd crossover Judge, or did they just throw a small nod towards the Dredd universe with that quote, and he's just the DC villain The Judge? I'm confuze. Well, at least he didn't turn all orange and bouldery.

10+ Year Old Account
    To me it looked like a mix of punisher and batman.

Deleted
    Yes it smels of already seen

poor penguin
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552