Page 6 of 31 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    TLDR but I bet most people assume physical discipline and beating the living hell out of someone are in teh same category.

from the brief look at the OP I think the OP must have meant "physical ABUSE" rather than 'discipline'

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuppy View Post
    Yet you ignore that it doesn't. By claiming it does, you kinda say that I'm a violent person. Wrong.
    you say youre not violent yet you say physical discipline is okay
    you say you dont argue with me anymore yet here we are talkin still

its hard to know where we are here with you, but i guess you are mad because someone doesnt agree with your parental discisions
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Crabs have been removed from the game... because if I see another one I’m just going to totally lose it. *sobbing* I’m sorry, I just can’t right now... I just... OK just give me a minute, I’ll be OK..

yeah, long is it doesn't cross over to abuse (leaving marks/scars etc...) Works a lot better than the cuddling of the kid and saying "oh honey don't do that" which is what some parents do...
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22

Some principles, especially those that affect the child's well-being (e.g. not straying too close to traffic while out walking) may need that extra emphasis before the child is capable of rationally accepting the rules. An occasional slap on the hand or the bum.

On the other hand, it was my experience that supporting parental decisions with explanations also made them better accepted. Even from the start. That also conveys conviction.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nnyco View Post
    you say you dont argue with me anymore yet here we are talkin still

its hard to know where we are here with you, but i guess you are mad because someone doesnt agree with your parental discisions
    Yes, you see there really is a difference(Oh my gosh!!1).
    And by arguing I mean there is no point of trying to make someone see a point. (In this case, you). Like arguing with a very religious people. They only see their tree, instead of the forest.
    And I'm not mad at all, not sure where that came from
    Quote Originally Posted by Pie Eater View Post
    Have you read the planned frost mage "nerfs" ?!? It's like nerfing a hangman's rope by coloring it blue.
    Mr. Smith about the cost of Triple-spec
    3k gold right off the bat, about 5 silver a week later.

Eh, it works. But it carries some risks. There are other methods that don't involve physical punishment that are just as effective (according to numerous studies), however they tend to require more effort from the parent.

The way I see it, and I'll get some flak for this, physical discipline is lazy parenting.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TITAN308 View Post
    So basically this is a thinly veiled medical thread. Why people feel the need to air their psychological problems to the public here (it happens all the time) is beyond me. Go talk to a doctor about it.
    Haha, side comment, I see you post this, almost verbatim, on so many threads!! I chuckle every time.

I agree btw

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuppy View Post
    Yes, you see there really is a difference(Oh my gosh!!1).
    And by arguing I mean there is no point of trying to make someone see a point. (In this case, you). Like arguing with a very religious people. They only see their tree, instead of the forest.
    And I'm not mad at all, not sure where that came from
    yeah not mad at all

Quote Originally Posted by Dezerte View Post
    Eh, it works. But it carries some risks. There are other methods that don't involve physical punishment that are just as effective (according to numerous studies), however they tend to require more effort from the parent.

The way I see it, and I'll get some flak for this, physical discipline is lazy parenting.
    pretty much this, the "last resort" as some stated it here is basically just that the parent cant be bothered with the children right now, even thought theres definitly a better way to go but this sure goes faster, "what the child gonna do? hit me back? ha nono then i just get more mad at the child despite the fact i clearly just done the same"
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Crabs have been removed from the game... because if I see another one I’m just going to totally lose it. *sobbing* I’m sorry, I just can’t right now... I just... OK just give me a minute, I’ll be OK..

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nnyco View Post
    Nice strawman!

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    A 1 year old wouldn't even understand time-outs or punishments - they're still babies at that age. A preschooler (3-5) likely would.

Still, a parent doesn't need to be smacking or giving any kind of punishments to a 1 year old. Their "bad behavior" is really only associated to a few things - hungry, tired, lonely, dirty nappy and/or in pain.
    Yeah that goes without saying... guess I should've added preschool age onwards.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Acelius View Post
    Yeah, having your child fear you is clearly the way to go
    If my Child fears doing stupid shit for fear of Punishment I think that is A-Ok to me. Kids can be punished without fearing their parents 24/7

Quote Originally Posted by Tsugunai View Post
    Spanking, huh.

What about being grabbed by the collar and slammed into a wall while being psychologically probed?
    There is a line between discipline and abuse. For whatever reason you have the two blurred.

A little reaches for a hot pot on the stove and you lightly pop them on the hand and say NO to keep them from getting burned is discipline.....
    Grabbing there hand and holding it on the hot stove to teach them its hot is abuse.

Beating a child is just fucking stupid.

We teach children to "use their words" when they have an issue and then turn around and smack/hit them? What the fuck type of message is that? These children end up being more violent than others and are prone to defaulting to use violence as a means to solve their issues with other kids.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bartuck View Post
    Yes. Children are like animals the first few years. If you're slapping your child without showing him love and compassion afterwards and reminding him of his mistakes you're doing it wrong though.
    Cats don't hurt their children you know... if you want to bring in animals, most animals don't fucking "hurt" their children. They restrain their children or pick up their children. The only time animals usually hurt their children is if they don't have enough resources to feed them all so they kill one.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    Spanking is a tool in the parental tool box. Say you have a 2 year old son who's very jealous of his new sister so much so that he's hitting her and it's starting to become dangerous.

You can sit him down and talk to him but he won't understand much at that age. A swat on the butt will get his attention and usually solve the problem. He might not be able to understand the situation but he'll understand that he doesn't want another swat on the butt.
    that's a stupid example. Because a child who is being spanked when he poses a problem is more likely to be physical with other children as a means to solve his own problems when he's not around his or her parent.

You take away privileges.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel SnackyCakes View Post
    If my Child fears doing stupid shit for fear of Punishment I think that is A-Ok to me. Kids can be punished without fearing their parents 24/7
    How is that a-okay?

It creates serious psychological problems because children are suppose to default to seek their parent's when in need of help or when in pain. When a child is being spanked or hurt by their own parent it does a number on the brain as he child is programmed to seek out their parent when something like this is happening, for their safety, yet it's their own parent who is to blame.

Spanking is quite literally tantamount to torture. When a chlid is spanked they're a human like everyone else, they have a fight or flight response; however, they can't do shit about it and they're trapped being spanked by their "protector" all that leads to is a build up of stress hormones which have been shown to slow brain growth, but oh it's all worth it right because, you don't have fucking time to be a good parent.

my kids get spanked when they talk back, because we've tried the talk it out bullshit when that happens....guess the result...they talk back more. id rather hear them crying than saying NO IM NOT GONNA when its bath time. yes the fuck you are, now get in the tub.

and if you disagree then we have fundamental differences and i dislike you for them. Pussy.

edit: there is absolutely a limit tho, open handed slaps on the butt or thigh. never slap the face or ball your fist.
    No sense crying over spilt beer, unless you're drunk...

7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.
    Like everything in life, you need a reasonable balance.

The problem is that when you say "physical discipline", most people think of parents beating their children. While beating your children is certainly wrong, there is nothing wrong with a swat on the butt when other approaches are not working.

This is not dissimilar to the carrot and stick approaches to managing people at work. Using nothing but carrots or nothing but sticks will always end up with mixed results. You need to tailor your approach based on each individual that works for you. Some people do not respond to carrots...some people do not respond to sticks...heck, many people need a combination of the two to get them to understand what is important.

Quote Originally Posted by Vargulf View Post
    my kids get spanked when they talk back, because we've tried the talk it out bullshit when that happens....guess the result...they talk back more. id rather hear them crying than saying NO IM NOT GONNA when its bath time. yes the fuck you are, now get in the tub.

and if you disagree then we have fundamental differences and i dislike you for them. Pussy.

edit: there is absolutely a limit tho, open handed slaps on the butt or thigh. never slap the face or ball your fist.
    https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog...-hit-your-kids

http://healthland.time.com/2012/07/0...ental-illness/

http://www.apa.org/monitor/2012/04/spanking.aspx

https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...bout-spanking/

Have fun screwing up your kid. I feel bad for your child.

If you are at a point which beating is the only way for you to project your authority to your child, you've done something terribly wrong on the way.

No sense crying over spilt beer, unless you're drunk...

My grandfather gave me quite a few beatings when I was a kid.

Looking back I'm glad he did, i deserved everything I got and am a better person for it.

Words really don't mean anything at all to children.

10+ Year Old Account
    Spanking is an excellent motivator as long as it's controlled. If you hit them overly hard or all of the time they quickly become immune to it.

The main teacher I think when it comes to spanking is the humiliation factor with it. Especially if you are willing to spank them in public.

The issue stems from when parents go from simply spanking to teach a lesson to making that their default punishment.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.” - General James Mattis