Page 12 of 31 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Not a fan of hitting children. I was not hit, and I turned out fine. I have great respect for authority and didn't need physical discipline to learn it.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

10+ Year Old Account
    No, absolutely not. Physical discipline should only ever be used when the child endangers himself or others and should be used sparingly, when no other solutions are possible. That mean grabbing the child's arm so he does not hit another one, or holding him/her so he/she doesn't run off/throw objects.

Spanking in any form, pinching, punching or even throwing object at your child is not something that I will ever support.
    Google Diversity Memo
    Learn to use critical thinking: https://youtu.be/J5A5o9I7rnA

Political left, right similarly motivated to avoid rival views
    [...] we have an intolerance for ideas and evidence that don’t fit a certain ideology. I’m also not saying that we should restrict people to certain gender roles; I’m advocating for quite the opposite: treat people as individuals, not as just another member of their group (tribalism)..

Quote Originally Posted by kevincuomo View Post
    Like i said, all kids are different and some kids never need a spanking. You cant say NO kid should be spanked that is a statement that is beyond ignorant.
    If spanking is the only thing the child responds too, there might be a problem with it, in which case you should go to the doctor instead of smacking it.

10+ Year Old Account
    This is probably a case of your dad getting boiled over and i'm sure it wasn't the only thing you did that day to piss him off. You cant sit here and say since your dad hit you like this that spanking your kid is bad period, that would make you narrow minded and stupid. Also, if you still have zero respect for your dad because of this incident then you need to stop holding grudges and move on with your life, your feelings got hurt boo hoo get over it.
    You're missing his point. He experienced a violent event as a child that reduced his ability to trust his protector. That has nothing to do with whether or not he should 'get over it' now.

You can always tell who has kids in threads like this. Also, the melodramatic people blaming a spanking (not abuse) on their shortcomings is hilarious. No need to be a victim.

You cannot rationalize with a 3 year old. Sometimes, a spanking is the quickest way to teach a child that your word means something. When I tell my children not to do something, they don't do it.

I haven't spanked my older (6-8) kids since I can remember. They got a few pops from 3-5 though.

I think its built into human psychology to try and rebel. You see it in cults all the time. All the women that leave cults turn into massive sluts, all the men become sluts too.

Me personally I was hit and people tried to control me my whole life, I have a major problem with authority now and i blame it on that.

Its the whole "don't think about elephants" thing. You'll do it, instantly if you want to or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawken View Post
    You can always tell who has kids in threads like this. Also, the melodramatic people blaming a spanking (not abuse) on their shortcomings is hilarious. No need to be a victim.

You cannot rationalize with a 3 year old. Sometimes, a spanking is the quickest way to teach a child that your word means something. When I tell my children not to do something, they don't do it.

I haven't spanking my older 6-8 kids since I can remember. They got a few pops from 3-5 though.
    The easiest way out isn't always the right way.

Quote Originally Posted by Acelius View Post
    If spanking is the only thing the child responds too, there might be a problem with it, in which case you should go to the doctor instead of smacking it.
    Arguing with people over the internet is so pointless. I never said it's the only thing you should do to discipline your child, you talk to them first and only when all else fails you need to let them know acting that way isn't tolerated. I can tell you have a very narrow mind so ill just let you think you know anything and leave it at that. But please, don't have kids and if you do don't have more.

The easiest way out isn't always the right way.
    Never said it was easier. My quote doesn't use the word easy. Spanking is a much harder form of punishment to administer than a time out.

A 3 year old understands a pop on the butt. They don't understand time out and explanations.

If misdirection and time out and positive reinforcement do not work, I am perfectly fine with a spanking.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Quetzl View Post
    It doesn't have to be true in all cases.
    Yes, so you're agreeing. Asserting that smacking "teaches the child to fear and loathe the parent" is bollocks. It's the same as if I said "not smacking your child means there's no hard boundary so they'll grow up disrespectful and rebellious". Worthless.

You can't "not all" my "not all".

Yes I do.

I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Titan2k10 View Post
    Do you have children? My bet is no.
    You guessed correctly. But I've been a fatherly figure to my sister and I've managed to do what I mentioned in my earlier comment, as does our mother. It's given great results, from my perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by Dsonsion View Post
    You guessed correctly. But I've been a fatherly figure to my sister and I've managed to do what I mentioned in my earlier comment, as does our mother. It's given great results, from my perspective.
    There we go. I am sure you were fathering your sister while you were 5 and she was 3 as well.....give me an anecdotal break.

Funny thing about this echo chamber. You don't see anyone who is ok with spanking their child tell others that they are wrong for NOT doing so.

It? /snicker

The child that has learned the word "No" but little else but thinks by saying "No" grants them leeway to avoid whatever it is you told them... you go get that child and you put them in the bath or sit them at the table and feed them or or or... you get physical. If they fight hard or struggle, a quick pop on the behind followed by "You don't get to disobey Daddy" as you move them to the task reinforces that rather rapidly.

Sometimes stubbornness just persists, other times not. The many non-parents arguing here forget that a 10yr old isn't arguing on their behalf in good faith when they're in trouble. There's a reason explanations fall flat when they just say "But, but, but I don't WAAAANNNNAAAAA!!!" That's when computer gets turned off, you're forced outside, you're grounded to your room, you're barred from going out with friends, you're spanked on the rear and that's that, or whatever else both punishes appropriately and (and this is important) strikes at something the kiddo cares about.

My parents never grounded me to my room because such a thing wouldn't be a punishment, hence why I spent punishment time outside mowing, picking up sticks, washing the cars, etc etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Fasc View Post
    It? /snicker

The child that has learned the word "No" but little else but thinks by saying "No" grants them leeway to avoid whatever it is you told them... you go get that child and you put them in the bath or sit them at the table and feed them or or or... you get physical. If they fight hard or struggle, a quick pop on the behind followed by "You don't get to disobey Daddy" as you move them to the task reinforces that rather rapidly.

Sometimes stubbornness just persists, other times not. The many non-parents arguing here forget that a 10yr old isn't arguing on their behalf in good faith when they're in trouble. There's a reason explanations fall flat when they just say "But, but, but I don't WAAAANNNNAAAAA!!!" That's when computer gets turned off, you're forced outside, you're grounded to your room, you're barred from going out with friends, you're spanked on the rear and that's that, or whatever else both punishes appropriately and (and this is important) strikes at something the kiddo cares about.

My parents never grounded me to my room because such a thing wouldn't be a punishment, hence why I spent punishment time outside mowing, picking up sticks, washing the cars, etc etc.
    Glad I wasn't the only one to notice that....Jesus Christ I bet he speaks of dogs and cats better than children.

Deleted
    This is probably a case of your dad getting boiled over and i'm sure it wasn't the only thing you did that day to piss him off. You cant sit here and say since your dad hit you like this that spanking your kid is bad period, that would make you narrow minded and stupid. Also, if you still have zero respect for your dad because of this incident then you need to stop holding grudges and move on with your life, your feelings got hurt boo hoo get over it.
    you werent there mate. fuck off & if i get an infraction for that, then fuck you!!

There we go. I am sure you were fathering your sister while you were 5 and she was 3 as well.....give me an anecdotal break.

Funny thing about this echo chamber. You don't see anyone who is ok with spanking their child tell others that they are wrong for NOT doing so.
    And where exactly have I said that I thought it wasn't ok to spank their children? And for all that matters, it was an age difference of almost 20 years. But you've already assumed otherwise. I stated my opinion, which I don't expect to be the absolute truth, and didn't judge you or anyone else in any way that I can remember.
    Strange that you were so quick to get this aggressive.

Nowhere do I see Dsonsion saying that spanking is wrong, just that it can be harder but more rewarding if you don't.

Which I would agree with personally. I don't believe the best answer is a spanking, but there are some kids who just won't listen to anything, but even then I would think a counselor of some sort for the child would be a better choice.

Glad I wasn't the only one to notice that....Jesus Christ I bet he speaks of dogs and cats better than children.
    Easier to write "it" than he/she. But all posters in this thread, for or against, are on a massive circle-jerk that leads no-where. You won't change my opinion on the matter and I won't change yours so no point in arguing anymore.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by twistedsista View Post
    you werent there mate. fuck off & if i get an infraction for that, then fuck you!!
    To this day, the reason for his smack in the face remains a mystery! /s
    Mountains rise in the distance stalwart as the stars, fading forever.
    Roads ever weaving, soul ever seeking the hunter's mark.