"Return to Karazhan is a rehash!"

Since I see so, so many people crying about Return to Karazhan being "rehashed content", I thought I'd take a moment to point out a few examples of what a rehash is, and a few examples of what a rehash is not, since people seem to not even know what the word means.

• Zul'Gurub 5man. Some of the same bosses, but with completely new mechanics and new encounters.
      Not a rehash.

• Zul'Aman 5man. Literally the same bosses with the same mechanics as the raid, just scaled down to 5man.
      Rehash.

• Deadmines update. Same location, but with updated bosses, completely new encounters, new trash, etc.
      Not a rehash.

• Timewalking content. Literally the same exact dungeons with the same mechanics, just scaling the players down to their level.
      Rehash.

• Ragnaros in Firelands. Same lore character, completely and entirely new encounter.
      Not a rehash.

• Level 80 Onyxia released alongside ToC. Same exact encounter, just scaled up to 80.
      Rehash.

• Nefarian and Onyxia in Blackwing Descent. Same lore characters, but entirely different encounter.
      Not a rehash.

• Level 80 Naxxramas. Pretty much the same exact encounters, give or take a few changes made to accomodate new class mechanics.
      Rehash.

Return to Karazhan. Same location for the first half, only four of the eleven bosses being the same as the previous raid, but all of the bosses having new and/or updated mechanics.
    Not a rehash.

I consider something to be a "rehash" when a majority of the content is the same, or extremely similar, to the previous iteration.

I don't consider it a rehash to take the same lore character and give it a new encounter with new mechanics. If Return to Karazhan was truly a "rehash", then it would just be the same exact instance but scaling us down to level 70, like Timewalking does. But it's not.

Now, these encounters are not COMPLETELY new and original; Maiden, Moroes, Attumen, Curator...they're still pretty similar to the original version. But different enough that they're not truly "rehashed". The encounters are reminiscent of the originals, but different enough that they aren't just a lazy copypaste.

Even so, the second half of the instance is completely new bosses and new areas, so....yeah. Calling Return to Karazhan "rehashed content" is just a massive grasp at straws.
    Last edited by anon5123; 2016-11-01 at 01:06 AM.

The entirety of Legion is a rehash. Warlords (AND Pandaria AND Cataclysm, etc) had new levels to achieve, new gear to acquire, new world mobs.

they cant keep getting away with this.
    Jsz
    <Losers Club> US-Alliance

d u m b c a s u a l s l u t

Quote Originally Posted by jsz View Post
    The entirety of Legion is a rehash. Warlords (AND Pandaria AND Cataclysm, etc) had new levels to achieve, new gear to acquire, new world mobs.

How is Legion a rehash at all?

Don't even entertain anyone who screams rehash. These people cannot, and do not, want to be happy.
    http://thingsihaveneverdone.wordpress.com
    Just started my 24/7 LoFi stream. Come listen!
    https://youtu.be/3uv1pLbpQM8

"A rehash is just the same thing done over verbatim, even if the same characters areas or lore is used if the content is changed enough to provide new features and mechanics it is not a rehash."

Your response

"This completely different thing thats different in every way to other things is a rehash" bravo. Just bravo.

I haven't seen anyone complaining about Karazhan being a rehash. All I see people talking about is how awesome the new Karazhan is and the occasional person complaining that it's too difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by anon5123 View Post
    Zul'Aman 5man. Literally the same bosses with the same mechanics as the raid, just scaled down to 5man.
    Rehash.

Timewalking content. Literally the same exact dungeons with the same mechanics, even the same exact loot, just scaling the players down to their level.
    Rehash.
    I'd call that rescaling. It's being upfront and honest that they are the same thing, but made relevant again.

Rehash is when you copy something but try and paint it as something else. Like if they took the original Karazhan raid, remodeled it a jungle theme and released it as Zul'whatever the brand new raid (that plays exactly like Karazhan).

2 bosses with the same mechanics are rehashes. 2 of the same boss with different scaling are rescales. 2 of the same boss with different mechanics are different content, but either of them could still be rehashes of some other boss.

I haven't played new Kara yet so have no opinion on whether it is or isn't rehashed old content.

7+ Year Old Account

Hehe nice joke m8
    May the lore be great and the stories interesting. A game without a story, is a game without a soul. Value the lore and it will reward you with fun!

Don't let yourself be satisfied with what you expect and what you seem as obvious. Ask for something good, surprising and better. Your own standards ends up being other peoples standard.

Quote Originally Posted by Gulharum View Post
    its a joke.

So many people crying over Karazhan? I did not see even single complain about this, some complain about being only mythic, about being too long but rehash? I think you are making things up. Its awesome place and challenging, leave it that way pls.

Do you rate level 80 Naxxramas as rehash or not-a-rehash?

Quote Originally Posted by Gulharum View Post
    Missed the joke.

7+ Year Old Account
    Even if some people would call the remade content rehash, i still like it I think that every remake is an improvement over the old version of the instance, with ZG being the outliner. I really hope that they keep remaking all the old dungeons and bring them into a new age of good dungeons. I was really pumped for BRD being remade and i was quite sad, that they held that thing back.

Places like Uldaman, Dire Maul and Gnomeregen could really use a remake and i would be in joy if they "rehashed" them
    May the lore be great and the stories interesting. A game without a story, is a game without a soul. Value the lore and it will reward you with fun!

Don't let yourself be satisfied with what you expect and what you seem as obvious. Ask for something good, surprising and better. Your own standards ends up being other peoples standard.

Quote Originally Posted by Banquetto View Post
    Do you rate level 80 Naxxramas as rehash or not-a-rehash?
    Ah, that was the one that I was forgetting.

Yeah, that's pretty much a rehash. Same bosses, most of the same mechanics, not really much of anything new about it; actually had things removed from it. (such as the crafting materials needed for the frost resist gear)

Re hash...like what having left over hash for breakfast?
    READ and be less Ignorant.

Quote Originally Posted by Flurryfang View Post
    Even if some people would call the remade content rehash, i still like it I think that every remake is an improvement over the old version of the instance, with ZG being the outliner. I really hope that they keep remaking all the old dungeons and bring them into a new age of good dungeons. I was really pumped for BRD being remade and i was quite sad, that they held that thing back.

Places like Uldaman, Dire Maul and Gnomeregen could really use a remake and i would be in joy if they "rehashed" them
    Well lucky for you they atleast put in a new hidden boss in Gnomeregen for lv 110. Personally, i would't mind what your suggesting or hidden new bosses in those areas for us, as long as they're given the same level of treatment at the very least.

10+ Year Old Account
    I see your point about letion being a rehash,
    1 vanilla, we had demons to kill and lvlcap
    2 BC more demons and levelcap
    3 wotlk had some demons, and increased levelcap
    Cata mop wod demons and increase to levelcap

This entire time they also each and every time changed skills up, skilltrees, how pvp works(power vs resil, just resil, ilvlincreases, manaburn teams no more manaburn etc)

Legion is completely rehashed from earlier expansions which were rehashes of previous expansions omg mind blown!
    (Joking ofc but expounding on the joke)
    Still I cry, tears like pouring rain, Innocent is my lurid pain.

Quote Originally Posted by Xenryusho View Post
    "A rehash is just the same thing done over verbatim, even if the same characters areas or lore is used if the content is changed enough to provide new features and mechanics it is not a rehash."

Your response

"This completely different thing thats different in every way to other things is a rehash" bravo. Just bravo.
    Xenryusho, Sarcasm. Sarcasm, Xenryusho.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonling123 View Post
    its a joke.
    Oh okay, lol. I only played the beta (and I didn't play its endgame content at all).