The Switch being marketed as a Home Console is strictly due to western markets. Consoles clearly have a hold over here compared to handhelds and Nintendo wants to make sure this system succeeds.

I fully expect NCL to market this thing as more of a handheld with a TV out in it's home market.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffyman View Post
    Motion controls were an integral part of the system which made the Wii stand apart from its rivals.

The problem with the Wii was the thicko third partys, and to a lesser extent nintendo itself, which didn't properly utilise them.

It would be a massive step backwards for nintendo if the switch didn't support the motion plus and balance board.
    There are three things wrong with that:

1) The Wii remote in general is tied into the Wii branding. Nintendo wants to move away from it.

2) The Wii remote is also over a decade old.

3) The Joy-Cons look similar and have many of the same functions as the Wii remote.

I agree Nintendo should keep functionality of them for now, but eventually, they will start phasing the Wii remote out.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Thick View Post
    Then I see a strong emphasis on multiplayer, something Nintendo has not really handled well in the past.
    Wait, wait, wait. You think Nintendo hasn't handled multiplayer games well in the past?

Online multiplayer (although Nintendo has been doing better with Mario Kart, Smash, and Splatoon) and asymmetric local multiplayer on a console I'll give you, but local multiplayer has been a strong point for Nintendo's systems, especially since the N64.

Meh, another gimmick system. People getting excited to play a five year old Skyrim should tell you enough about the hilarity of brand loyalty. Me, once you game in 4K you can't go back to inferior options.

Jimmy Thick- Hey remember the Wii? Middle America bought into that system when they though you could lose weight playing video games, so there is always hope for the Switch...
    It sounds like you're talking about a PC but really you're talking about your less capable wannabe PC.

It's cute.

Iam basing my assumptions only on the hype video Nintendo recently released.

From it I see or assume a tablet that ultimately will replace the Wii U and 3DS.

Is that fair to assume it could be a gimmicky selling point?
    No, because that's not what a gimmick is.

Then I see a strong emphasis on multiplayer, something Nintendo has not really handled well in the past.
    What the hell? Nintendo is literally the go to name for party games and couch multiplayer.
    Smash, Mario Party, Mario Kart, etc.

Gimmick? No probably not, probably Nintendo trying to emphasize they want a piece of this pie.
    What pie? The pie of multiplayer they've always had and encouraging in room multiplayer over online?

Nintendo pushing e-sports?
    This is a little purplexing. It could be considered a gimmick because Nintendo does not do it well, for them to actively pursue this line of gamer could indeed be considered a gimmick.
    E-sports is definitely not a gimmick.

The Switch being a tablet console?

How can you not consider this a gimmick? I don't know how to hook my IPad up to my TV or don't care to try, if Nintendo pushes this as some kind of new way to game, like motion sensor, I would consider this a true, bonifide gimmick.
    Because that's not what a gimmick is, and the Switch is only similar to the iPad in shape.

Motion controls were an integral part of the system which made the Wii stand apart from its rivals.

The problem with the Wii was the thicko third partys, and to a lesser extent nintendo itself, which didn't properly utilise them.

It would be a massive step backwards for nintendo if the switch didn't support the motion plus and balance board.
    the controllers themselves are motion control and the touch screen is multi touch.

some games will still use wii remotes for multiplayer as an option but these are meant to replace the wii motes
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

Quote Originally Posted by Cattleya View Post
    Yeah, the way I see it, it's a handheld that happens to be able to dock and connect to the TV. I also see it as a successor to both the Wii U and the 3DS even though Nintendo won't say that because the 3DS still sells well. Wouldn't want to tell people its successor is only half a year away, especially with christmas season coming up.
    3DS is on it's last legs and ain't selling worth shit anymore. It will get a boost this month from Pokemon but don't be fooled, it's pretty much done. Even in Japan where the majority of it's sales comes from it has slowed down significantly YOY. Nintendo is saying it's not a successor to the 3DS and Wii U because 1) Switch games probably still have Wii U and 3DS versions in some cases to generate additional sales for the first year or so and 2) It's holiday season and they need to clear out their 3DS and Wii U stock in stores.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2016-11-01 at 03:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cattleya View Post
    Yeah, the way I see it, it's a handheld that happens to be able to dock and connect to the TV. I also see it as a successor to both the Wii U and the 3DS even though Nintendo won't say that because the 3DS still sells well. Wouldn't want to tell people its successor is only half a year away, especially with christmas season coming up.
    It's basically combining the Vita with the PSTV is a better analogy. So ironically enough, it's not very novel unless unique controller docks become a fad to slap on the sides of the Switch.

Sure made my wii stand apart. It stood in the dark dusty corner.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta333 View Post
    Sure made my wii stand apart. It stood in the dark dusty corner.
    Problem with the Wii wasn't really the motion controls, as Mario Galaxy proved otherwise and is still one of the greatest games ever made.

The problem with the Wii was it simply had the worst first party lineup in Nintendo history, in spite of it being the most successful as far as sales go. It had the worst version of smash, had an inferior version of TP, had a hit or miss zelda game in SS, had the worst smash game in the series, had the least imaginative Mario Kart in the series, completely killed the Mario Party franchise, lets not even talk about MP3 and Other M, DKCR is the worst game in the franchise need I go on?

Wii's software lineup was a bust for most Nintendo fans. Rarities exist like XC, SMG 1 and 2 but for the most part it was completely meh. The Wii U library shits all over it by comparison.

10+ Year Old Account
    The Wii.. I still have nightmares of playing call of dooty with the gun peripheral, what a mess.

Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    The Wii.. I still have nightmares of playing call of dooty with the gun peripheral, what a mess.
    playing cod on the wii reminds me of people who would buy games like that for the gameboy or ds.

I feel like I mite have been the only one who really enjoyed the COD games on the Wii because of the motion controls.

I kinda want to play them now so thanks for that.
    Last edited by Jtbrig7390; 2016-11-01 at 11:08 AM.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Still better then playing a competitive shooter on a standard controller /barf. Splatoon is only bearable thanks to gyro.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    Still better then playing a competitive shooter on a standard controller /barf. Splatoon is only bearable thanks to gyro.
    Practice makes perfect, you dont pick up a controller like keyboard and mouse and just ace it, it takes muscle memory and sensitivity adjustments. I can play fps on both pc and console without a hitch due to practice heaps with the controller. Less complaining more playing.

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    I feel like I mite have been the only one who really enjoyed the COD games on the Wii because of the motion controls.

I kinda want to play them now so thanks for that.
    I never tried COD for Wii but man metroid and golden eye showed that shooters with that kind of motion control are awesome. That's honestly my only real complain about both the Wii and the Wii U; that the (im my eyes) obvious and awesome way to utilize the special abilities of the console were not used nearly enough to create fun twists on normal genres.
    Hope the Switch does a bit better in that regard.
    Last edited by Archpriest; 2016-11-01 at 04:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta333 View Post
    Practice makes perfect, you dont pick up a controller like keyboard and mouse and just ace it, it takes muscle memory and sensitivity adjustments. I can play fps on both pc and console without a hitch due to practice heaps with the controller. Less complaining more playing.
    Also known as aim assist
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

Well R.I.P the Wii-U.

Nintendo stops Production of the system Nov 4th.
    http://www.gamespot.com/articles/wii.../1100-6444994/
    Nintendo will end Wii U production on November 4, a new report has suggested. Citing "multiple sources," Eurogamer reports that the deadline for the final batch of Wii U consoles was October 31, and the Japanese production line will shut down once these have been fulfilled.

The Wii U launched in November 2012 and, as of September 30, it has sold 13.36 million units. This is considerably less than the 100 million figure Nintendo internally projected the console would sell. Although Nintendo is yet to officially announce Wii U production is ending, the timing makes sense.
    he company's next platform, Nintendo Switch, is scheduled to launch in March 2017. The console/handheld hybrid was officially unveiled on October 20 and Nintendo has said it will announce the Switch's price, launch lineup, and specs on January 12. There will be no further information on the Switch until then.

Nintendo expects to ship 2 million Switch consoles during its launch month of March 2017. The only launch game that has confirmed for Switch is The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, which will also be available for the Wii U. However, during its Switch reveal video there were a number of other games briefly shown, including new or updated versions Mario Kart 8 and Splatoon.

There was also a mysterious 3D Mario game, as well as Bethesda's Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim. Nintendo cautioned that the announcement trailer only showed "short glimpses of representative gameplay to demonstrate the liberating nature of the Nintendo Switch home gaming system." For its part, Bethesda said although Skyrim hasn't been confirmed for Switch, it will support the console.
    Whoever though the Switching isn't replacing the Wii-U is fooling themselves.
    Just saying.
    Last edited by Jtbrig7390; 2016-11-01 at 09:04 PM.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.

Yeah, it's kind of a pity really. I'll never get to play that SMT x Fire Emblem game. And they're shutting off production before the new Zelda game is even out, they clearly want to push home console people into buying a Switch instead. If they have a Zelda themed gold Switch at launch, I will seriously consider preordering.
    Girls are a hoax created by the Japanese anime industry to scam otaku out of their money.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Truhan View Post
    Yeah, it's kind of a pity really. I'll never get to play that SMT x Fire Emblem game. And they're shutting off production before the new Zelda game is even out, they clearly want to push home console people into buying a Switch instead. If they have a Zelda themed gold Switch at launch, I will seriously consider preordering.
    ...Why? They just aren't going to be making new Wii U's. It's not like they won't still be sold in stores. There are going to be enough Wii U's out in the wild for a while still.

Quote Originally Posted by Poppincaps View Post
    ...Why? They just aren't going to be making new Wii U's. It's not like they won't still be sold in stores. There are going to be enough Wii U's out in the wild for a while still.
    Doesn't matter. Nintendo stopping production of the Wii-U is the official death of the system. After Zelda BOTW there is a 99% chance the system will no longer have first party support and that's really the only support it has had.

Nintendo wants to push the switch has there new home console and getting rid of the last one does this. Its not a big shock really since Nintendo has done this with all there home console systems.

If you don't have a Wii-U by now its foolish to buy one, Even more so when good chance most of the main Wii-U games will have a Switch port. But we won't know until Jan sadly.

Hell the launch lineup for the switch has a chance to be the best of any console just because of the amount of ports Nintendo can do from the Wii-U.

"GIVE ME MARIO MAKER FOR THE SWITCH DAMIT"
    Last edited by Jtbrig7390; 2016-11-02 at 12:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Poppincaps View Post
    Those supplies won't last forever. And since Nintendo won't be restocking them anymore, retailers will be able to do price cuts on the console without their blessing (though I don't expect your Walmarts and Targets to do so).

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    Nintendo wants to push the switch has there new home console and getting rid of the last one does this. Its not a big shock really since Nintendo has done this with all there home console systems.
    It kind of is a shock. Another console ceased production earlier this year too. That console was the Xbox 360. The PS3 was discontinued around this time last year. Consoles normally cease production AFTER the new one is out, not months before. And the fact that they ceased production shortly before the big holiday sales boom tells me they have no hopes of doing well for this holiday outside of the 3DS family and the new Pokemon games (which are up for preorder on the eShop by the way! Already got both for myself). It's also an ill omen for the Wii-U's online functionality. I doubt they'd shut it down anytime soon, what with Splatoon and Mario Maker, but they could shut it down anytime they wanted to now. Deffo hoping SMT vs Fire Emblem, Bayonetta, and Xenoblade get ported. Mario Maker is probably a given, seeing as it's on the 3DS now, the only question is whether it'll be a launch title or not.
    Girls are a hoax created by the Japanese anime industry to scam otaku out of their money.