Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Question Holy Paladin's why are you such a rare breed?

I am really wondering why it is so rare to find a Holy Paladin who wants to raid.

I have returned to wow after some years but I do remember it to be the case back then also.

We are a pretty relaxed guild farming EN Heroic and doing some on Mythic and since our 1 and only Holy pally had to go social because of a new job it has been a nightmare getting a new one. You don't even see them looking for guilds.

What is the reason here. Can anyone shed some light?
    One way to easily have as raid spot anywhere seems to be to roll a HPally & be half decent in what you do.

Wondering how the replies here are going to go. Also if any of you holies (EU) do want to raid pop me an PM. Even willing to gear you!

Thanks
    Last edited by Limpnoodle; 2016-11-01 at 06:37 AM.

Now I can only speak from personal experience (US) for reference. I don't see many myself but there is me and one other Hpally in my Heroic/Mythic raid. But when I tank dungeons and what not I mostly see Priests or Druids because they tend to be popular and really powerful right now, Hpally just isn't hitting the same number. It could be that all the people that want to play Holy are forced to go Ret or Prot for their groups, some guild have too many healers or not enough DPS. Who knows, I for one love play my Holy Paladin and have since WotLK.

I'm sorry to be that guy but you don't need an apostrophe in paladins. It is a plural.

7+ Year Old Account
    I raided as a Holydin in Warlords. It was rather dull and really didn't enjoy it towards the end of the expac. When Legion came around and didn't *really* change the way the class played ability wise I just rerolled.

Don't get me wrong, they are strong in output when played right, and have some nice utility and niche play. It just wasn't for me, and I think that might be the case for other people as well.

90% of holy paladins suck so bad that they reroll thinking it's the class, or they consider the gameplay dull.
    My FC is 1177 - 6552 - 9842 PM with yours if you add.

Quote Originally Posted by Tulaure View Post
    Now I can only speak from personal experience (US) for reference. I don't see many myself but there is me and one other Hpally in my Heroic/Mythic raid. But when I tank dungeons and what not I mostly see Priests or Druids because they tend to be popular and really powerful right now, Hpally just isn't hitting the same number. It could be that all the people that want to play Holy are forced to go Ret or Prot for their groups, some guild have too many healers or not enough DPS. Who knows, I for one love play my Holy Paladin and have since WotLK.
    We were 2 Holy Paladins in my raid group (EU), I am now Ret and I still play Holy for some Mythic fights. I can tell you that Holy Paladins are extremely powerful and extremely useful at keeping tanks alive, mitigating damage for the whole raid etc...

Deleted
    The first damn week of raids every god damn pally was Holy did you forget this??? Most of these people were Ret players however. So they quickly jumped back to Ret when it got buffed. Thus leading to much less people playing Holy.

Quote Originally Posted by Reica View Post
    I raided as a Holydin in Warlords. It was rather dull and really didn't enjoy it towards the end of the expac. When Legion came around and didn't *really* change the way the class played ability wise I just rerolled.

Don't get me wrong, they are strong in output when played right, and have some nice utility and niche play. It just wasn't for me, and I think that might be the case for other people as well.
    You clearly don't raid M+ or Mythic EN and obviously don't know how to use your talents in Legion as a Holy Paladin.
    You have talents that are best for dungeons and others that do better in raids. Also during the raid I sometimes have to change my talents 2-3 times depending on the boss.

I've played a Paladin since TBC, and they've never been more fun to play than in Legion.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Melkorr View Post
    You clearly don't raid M+ or Mythic EN and obviously don't know how to use your talents in Legion as a Holy Paladin.
    You have talents that are best for dungeons and others that do better in raids. Also during the raid I sometimes have to change my talents 2-3 times depending on the boss.

I've played a Paladin since TBC, and they've never been more fun to play than in Legion.
    That is correct. I haven't raided EN or dungeons on my Paladin. I haven't even leveled it to 110.

What you find fun isn't the golden standard for everyone. I don't enjoy it. Deal with it.

Field Marshal
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Melkorr View Post
    I loved healing on my pala back in wtlk, the beacon was so op i could keep the tanks up solo, not having to focus on raid healing was so fun felt like what palas were made for!

I actually also loved healing back in classic since the rank shuffle was pretty neat, i wouldn't say that legion was the best time to heal on a pala, it wasn't the worst though, that had to be cata...

Thanks for the replies guys!

Some mixed msg's here, but yes Melkorr I agree they can be very powerful and I (we) want/need one.

What I gather from your post(s) is that it seems people might just not play it correctly.
    I am a Resto druid and use a tome to change talents on most fights and also when I do dungeons. I even use a mostly a different set of gear for Dungeons.

Is it not true for most healers that things have changed quite a bit? People mention Wotlk and looking at a Resto Druid from then an now it is also quite different.
    Are people just finding it hard to adapt or are stubborn?

I haven't been playing holy pally for long (played at the start of wod and then came back for legion) but it feels the transition from wod to legion was pretty big. A lot of our spells changed and we were reclassified as kind of a melee healer. I've been having a blast as holy but sometimes the mastery feels clunky to take advantage of.

Overall the class feels different from what I remember during wod but in a non-bad and non-good way you just need a different mindset

I play Holy paladin as a main and can say that I've never once been outperformed by any other healer. We're either even or I'm so far ahead it's silly.

If you swap talents for the fight, Holy paladins are just monsters. I did Neltharions M+10 and I felt comfortable during the entire run. Not to mention I did 298k DPS on the first boss. Yes, as Holy.

I would go as far as to say a good Holy paladin is currently the strongest healing class in the game. There's nothing we can't do. True, Druids and Monks have stronger raid wide AoE heals, but Paladins aren't in a bad spot there either. If I pop AW, the only thing that rivals my throughput is Revival or Tranquillity when the entire raid is low.

People just don't understand the class well enough to play it to it's potential I guess.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Normally it is because guilds think they only need 1 holy pala, and no limit on other healers. So I would say guilds are at fault. Holy palas are very powerful in legion.

Our mastery is just stupid.

That's really the answer.

Otherwise we are in a good spot.

I played Holy since TBC and raided top teir in every expansion since and always loved the class, now i have taken breaks at several times from WoW since TBC but I personally found holy pretty dull to play when I come back to WoW during WoD and then I tried the legion changes and cannot say i found them to exciting.

I am not saying Holy Paladin are poor healers as they are very good with great ulitiy but personally I found the gameplay to be pretty dull compared to what I used to love back in the day

First toon back in april 05 was a druid (resto)
    When TBC hit, I rolled a paladin, and never looked back, been keeping our tanks alive since then, and still loving it

Our AOE heal is abit "lol" though ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Jumi View Post
    I loved healing on my pala back in wtlk, the beacon was so op i could keep the tanks up solo, not having to focus on raid healing was so fun felt like what palas were made for!

I actually also loved healing back in classic since the rank shuffle was pretty neat, i wouldn't say that legion was the best time to heal on a pala, it wasn't the worst though, that had to be cata...
    Exactly, even though I didn't like only focusing on the thanks, I felt like my job was too easy back then and I was always jealous of dudu heals .

Now with Aura of Sac/Mercy/Devo + Aura Mastery. Ermagerd its so guud

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Reica View Post
    That is correct. I haven't raided EN or dungeons on my Paladin. I haven't even leveled it to 110.

What you find fun isn't the golden standard for everyone. I don't enjoy it. Deal with it.
    Okay don't enjoy it but don't say that they didn't *really* change Paladins, because they worked very hard on it and did a great job. Kthnxbye.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tulaure View Post
    Priests are the worst healers numbers wise, Paladins are the best.

Quote Originally Posted by Limpnoodle View Post
    Thanks for the replies guys!

Some mixed msg's here, but yes Melkorr I agree they can be very powerful and I (we) want/need one.

What I gather from your post(s) is that it seems people might just not play it correctly.
    I am a Resto druid and use a tome to change talents on most fights and also when I do dungeons. I even use a mostly a different set of gear for Dungeons.

Is it not true for most healers that things have changed quite a bit? People mention Wotlk and looking at a Resto Druid from then an now it is also quite different.
    Are people just finding it hard to adapt or are stubborn?
    If you need any tips on playing a Holy Paladin in M+ dungons, Mythic EN I'd be happy to answer any questions you have .

PS: Please quote me so I can see your message, I read my name while scrolling down ^^.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by satanicsuture View Post
    I play Holy paladin as a main and can say that I've never once been outperformed by any other healer. We're either even or I'm so far ahead it's silly.

If you swap talents for the fight, Holy paladins are just monsters. I did Neltharions M+10 and I felt comfortable during the entire run. Not to mention I did 298k DPS on the first boss. Yes, as Holy.

I would go as far as to say a good Holy paladin is currently the strongest healing class in the game. There's nothing we can't do. True, Druids and Monks have stronger raid wide AoE heals, but Paladins aren't in a bad spot there either. If I pop AW, the only thing that rivals my throughput is Revival or Tranquillity when the entire raid is low.

People just don't understand the class well enough to play it to it's potential I guess.
    Exactly this! Also who can bubble taunt for 3-4 seconds off a tank in a M+10?
    Also every time I do my daily heroic, I end up first second dps with Wings/HA. Shockadin is pretty sexy in Legion.