10+ Year Old Account

almost 2017 gaming pc

last time i bought my gaming pc was at the beginning of 2013 and im using it till this day.
    its about time to buy something new cuz this is getting too old even for blizzard games.

im thinking about gtx 1080 or in the worst case 1070 if whole build is gonna be too expensive. 1080s prices were supposed to drop around this time of the year when i was reading about it months ago, but they still seem pricey.
    what would be the best choice for CPU, to be on par with those gpus ? so that pc isnt held back by the processor, cuz i played some cpu intensive games such as arma 3 and fps drops were terrible.

also how does the thing look with ssd ? i dont have one now, but it seems ssd is a standard now. i really hate LOOONG loading screens in WoW or starcraft.

how much would all of that cost ? ill try to convert it to my currency (i live in poland)

thanks in advance

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Telling us the last time you got a new PC was early 2013 really doesn't tell us as much as you may think it does...

Could you please list out your hardware specs for your computer and what kind of resolution you like to play WoW at? Do you raid?
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

10+ Year Old Account
    well i dont think it rly matters what my current pc is, cuz i want to build a new one from scratch.
    but if its relevant: gtx 660, i5 (dont remember exactly), either 4 or 8gb ram (i think its 4). not at home so cant check it

as i mentioned i want to build something around at least gtx 1070 and a cpu that similar strength, also ssd. dno what else is recommended these days.

What monitor resolution are you going to be playing at? A 1060 or RX 480 will be more than enough to max anything out on a 1080p monitor.

So, I'd say that it really all depends on what resolution you intent to play on (or that you intend to be able to play on in the future---like if you wanted to upgrade to a 1440p or 4K monitor down the road.)

10+ Year Old Account
    i think ill stick to 1080p for the next 5-10 years. i mean, why would i want to play on a tv sized monitor ? isnt that what 4k is ?

Quote Originally Posted by Khatolic View Post
    i think ill stick to 1080p for the next 5-10 years. i mean, why would i want to play on a tv sized monitor ? isnt that what 4k is ?
    Nope. Resolution and screen size are two totally different things. There are 42" 1080p TV and there are 27" 4k monitors, for example.

Screen resolution, is, in layman's terms, the quality of the image on your screen. The higher resolution, the higher the quality. This means that you have to have better hardware for higher resolutions. If you're interested, here's a better explanation: http://www.computerhope.com/jargon/r/resoluti.htm

Deleted
    Could you possibly check what kind of i5 you got?

New stuff is coming in January... Might be worth waiting on that. I don't think the performance increase from Intel will be amazing, more like how it has always has been. But AMD is also coming with new stuff. That might shift prices.

But, if you can't wait. It would be nice to have a budget to work with.

But a 6600k/1070 combo is pretty good and that will hold out for a couple of years.

Quote Originally Posted by noteworthynerd View Post
    Nope. Resolution and screen size are two totally different things. There are 42" 1080p TV and there are 27" 4k monitors, for example.
    and the reason that 1080p looks good on a 47" tv, but not so great on a 30" monitor is all to do with how far away you are from the screen! if you already have a 1080p monitor and you're happy with it, no huge need to change it right now~

tell us what games exactly you wanna play, what your current pc is, budget, country... basically fill out the sticky, and we can help. your current pc may just need a couple new components to see noticeable improvements!

well i dont think it rly matters what my current pc is, cuz i want to build a new one from scratch.
    but if its relevant: gtx 660, i5 (dont remember exactly), either 4 or 8gb ram (i think its 4). not at home so cant check it

as i mentioned i want to build something around at least gtx 1070 and a cpu that similar strength, also ssd. dno what else is recommended these days.
    It does matter, because if that i5 is a 2500k or newer, you'll not really get much out of upgrading it at all. Seriously, no real noticeable performance increase at all. If you really want to upgrade it, yo are looking at new CPU/Motherboard and RAM, all for no noticeable upgrade. Unless you have plans to do something else with the old PC, it's really just a waste.

10+ Year Old Account
    i5 3470 3.20ghz
    8gb ram
    gtx 660

pretty much all blizzard games like WoW and starcraft which are more cpu instensive than graphics
    arma, dayz, CoD, the division.

poland, and the budget is about 5k pln (which would be around 1.2k euro)

im posting my old pc because u guys wanted, however i never upgrade some parts. i always build everything new from scratch.
    i do this only a couple of years so by the time i do it i believe everything i had is outdated and just want to have new parts.
    Last edited by Proskill; 2016-11-01 at 06:31 PM.

i5 3470 3.20ghz
    8gb ram
    gtx 660

pretty much all blizzard games like WoW and starcraft which are more cpu instensive than graphics
    arma, dayz, CoD, the division.

poland, and the budget is about 5k pln (which would be around 1.2k euro)

im posting my old pc because u guys wanted, however i never upgrade some parts. i always build everything new from scratch.
    i do this only a couple of years so by the time i do it i believe everything i had is outdated and just want to have new parts.
    Yeah, no real reason to upgrade that CPU. It's not really outdated. I normally don't really like this site, but it is useful sometimes:
    http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core-i...l-Core-i5-3470

As you can see, the single core performance, which is what matters to those Blizzard games, is nearly identical to a current CPU. As I said previously, it's not going to be a huge increase in performance at all and not really worth the money.

Get a new GPU, throw in an SSD if you don't have one and you're going to be just fine. Adding a new CPU/MoBo/RAM is just going to add cost and not increase performance to any real noticeable degree.

however i never upgrade some parts. i always build everything new from scratch.
    but that isn't really how it works. 2nd generation i5's are still great!
    depending what motherboard you have you can potentially grab a 3570k, overclock the sucker, add in a 1060 / 1070 and be good for another couple years. even without upgrading the cpu, your pc is really not that bad. a new gpu will help make stuff look pretty.

if you really insist on buying a whole new pc at least wait til early 2017, bunch of new cpu fun might be worth waiting for! you can always grab a new gpu for now~

10+ Year Old Account
    the wait is killing me. i have waited till autumun for new nvidia gpus (1070/80) prices to drop, not gonna wait another half a year for new cpus. even playing WoW is terrible. i need a new pc now/

the wait is killing me. i have waited till autumun for new nvidia gpus (1070/80) prices to drop, not gonna wait another half a year for new cpus. even playing WoW is terrible. i need a new pc now/
    Playing WoW should not be terrible on that rig. If it is, you have something else going on. A new CPU is certainly not going to solve the issue as again, were are talking about an increase in performance that is not even noticeable. If you want to throw money down on a whole new PC, be my guest, but just know that the new CPU is not making a difference.