Deleted

How many traits until we shine??

Hi guys, i rerolled a spriest about a week ago.Sitting at 845 ilvl. Only an 841 weapon. 3rd slot opens tomorrow. I seem to only do around 130-170k damage overall when using lotv. With s2. its more 200k or a tad over. i havent unlucked mass hysteria yet. Its my next trait. Ive prio haste/crit but got shed loads of mastery grrr. Just wondered when will i be able to keep up with others doing dungeons/raid bosses?? Feel so weak atm but then i have a low ilvl weapon with no main traits... any advice?

Quote Originally Posted by thatch7 View Post
    Hi guys, i rerolled a spriest about a week ago.Sitting at 845 ilvl. Only an 841 weapon. 3rd slot opens tomorrow. I seem to only do around 130-170k damage overall when using lotv. With s2. its more 200k or a tad over. i havent unlucked mass hysteria yet. Its my next trait. Ive prio haste/crit but got shed loads of mastery grrr. Just wondered when will i be able to keep up with others doing dungeons/raid bosses?? Feel so weak atm but then i have a low ilvl weapon with no main traits... any advice?
    You'll never really "shine" with LotV, it's just not a good talent compared to s2m in raids. With s2m however, you start doing pretty decent damage as soon as you have Mass Hysteria and enough haste to get close to or even to your 3rd Void Torrent during s2m.

Deleted
    Ah cool. Any idea what % of haste that is??

Deleted
    Ah cool. Any idea what % of haste that is??
    12000; roughly 35%

Deleted
    Damn i need some luck. Only on 23%.... no haste gear is dropping for me currently

10+ Year Old Account
    Just remember that "a dead DPS is no DPS", so choose whatever talent is best suited, not what others want you to.
    Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings.
    To resist the influence of others, knowledge of oneself is most important.

Damn i need some luck. Only on 23%.... no haste gear is dropping for me currently
    A lot of really strong haste gear is BoE. Fran's ring / Dawnlighg ring. Crafted Impatient/fireflash pieces and the Blessed Dawnlight Medallion are all extremely good for setting your character in the right direction.

Quote Originally Posted by alemaite View Post
    You'll never really "shine" with LotV, it's just not a good talent compared to s2m in raids. With s2m however, you start doing pretty decent damage as soon as you have Mass Hysteria and enough haste to get close to or even to your 3rd Void Torrent during s2m.
    I would love to be good enough to do this. I have 34.5% base haste, and by 60s into Voidform I am losing 90 Insanity in 2s. The second I have Mind Blast, Void Bolt and SW-D on cooldown, I am dead. Dispersion can delay it for a few seconds, but it gives me a few more seconds only. I know other people are able to do it, and that it's something I am doing wrong, but I just don't think I will ever get above about 90-100 seconds in StM.

Quote Originally Posted by Clavicle View Post
    I would love to be good enough to do this. I have 34.5% base haste, and by 60s into Voidform I am losing 90 Insanity in 2s. The second I have Mind Blast, Void Bolt and SW-D on cooldown, I am dead. Dispersion can delay it for a few seconds, but it gives me a few more seconds only. I know other people are able to do it, and that it's something I am doing wrong, but I just don't think I will ever get above about 90-100 seconds in StM.
    I practiced StM a bit during the weekend, but even with 12000+ haste I always screwed up at high stacks end and never got to that elusive 3rd Void Torrent. I had it in reach, but I guess my fingers just need more practice to make it work even in a simple test dummy situation. I am by no means an expert on this stuff, but you can watch some of my "three void torrent" attempts on youtube (not allowed to post links yet but youtube.com/watch?v=qTFXObilu08 may be enough of a clue for you to get there)

Later on I changed my approach to aim at two Void Torrents and delayed my first Void Torrent to ~40-50 stacks so it would be available again in the 100-110 stack range. That made my StM last a little longer as a whole to around 120-125 stacks. Another key element was to decide the timing of Power Infusion which for me is in the 85-90 stack range. With lower haste I guess a more modest 70-80 stack target could be a good starting point. If you can, save Dispersion to after Power Infusion ends so you can rebuild an SW: Death stack and last a little longer and then use Void Torrent to push even further.

If you get as tunneled visioned as me when you do the StM thing I recommend setting up audio queues for when Void Torrent is usable at >50 stacks and when you deem fit to use your second combat potion (I use 50 stacks for that so it lasts until 110). I use Weak Auras for this.

No offense to the previous poster, but imo you should never delay your Void Torrents unless you only get 1, then you use it as late as possible so your VoiT benefits from the bonus haste. To get 3 VoiT do the following:

1. Get into Voidform with both DoTs fresh (you can use 1 Voidbolt to refresh them if you have to)
    2. Immediately use VoiT asap
    3. Do your normal rotation until around 70 stacks
    4. Shortly before reaching 70 stacks you should use your second VoiT as soon as its off cd
    5. Once you're at 70 stacks, start using SW: D when low on insanity, don't waste it and be sure you have 2 stacks of SW:D before you get to 70 stacks of Voidform
    6. Use your Power Infusion at around 90 - 95 stacks, also use your Shadowfiend at this point when at high Insanity and SW:D immediately after or you die
    7. Use your Dispersion after Power Infusion expires
    8. Try to avoid using Mind Blast at this point as much as possible since it'll probably kill you (you should be at 100+ stacks), instead use VB, SW:D, VB, SW:D ... you get the idea
    9. You should be able to use your third VoiT and die a few seconds after

If you're not able to pull this off, don't worry, it takes practice. I've raided in top 100 guilds and have been playing WoW since Vanilla and I still think it's hard, by far the hardest spec I have ever played. Most people panic and waste their Shadow Word: Death, be sure to delay using it until you're at 25 - 30 insanity so you get the most out of it, this will be the best thing you can do to reach your 3rd VoiT. I can stay in surrender for about 140 seconds pretty reliably with the legendary shoulders (sometimes longer) vs the target dummy, but it did take practice.

Quote Originally Posted by alemaite View Post
    No offense to the previous poster, but imo you should never delay your Void Torrents unless you only get 1, then you use it as late as possible so your VoiT benefits from the bonus haste. <text with instructions to reach three Void Torrent>
    I might be an idiot, but my thought process when I chose to try StM with two Void Torrents instead of going for three was something like this:

• I have been trying to get three Void Torrents now for hours on a target dummy and don't seem to get there... yet.
    • If I accept that I am _at this time_ limited to max 2 Void Torrents inside StM - how should I use those to get as high StM stacks as possible?
    • I usually mess up around 110-120 stacks so it would be nice to have Void Torrent available then.
    • When does Void Torrent grant the most damage? - At high haste -> goal should be to use Void Torrent as late as I can get away with.
    • Do I need Void Torrent at 60-70 stacks to reach 85-90 stacks before I pop Power Infusion? - No, not as long as I can use SW: Death.
    • I need Void Torrent around the 110 stacks mark and it has 60s CD. When should I use it? - ~50 stacks should be a good place to start.

When I tried this I got from dying at around 110-115 stacks to 120-125 stacks during my StM practice which for me was an improvement.
    Is this better then going for three Void Torrents _and_ succeeding with that? Of course not and if you can manage to get to three go for it. You will be able to get higher stacks than if you only use two and your damage will be higher.

With that said I have not yet managed to time StM and reach the damage levels I see our spec can dish out when raiding with my guild. I have gone over our last raids to help me time when to activate StM so hopefully that will change with more practice, better timing and a little luck. And I have not given up on reaching three Void Torrents either. It would not be bad if they removed the 10min CD if you were in a rest area when you resurrected after dying from StM as it is kind of a pain to practice it at the moment.

I also checked how much damage I would lose by not using first Void Torrent directly after activating Void Form just to get some sense of where I would end up if I apart from that managed to follow the "How to reach three Void Torrents" instructions supplied by alemaite. In my case it is less than 1Million damage (Void Torrent dot damage - Void bolt, Mind Blast and Filler damage for the channel duration). Not really that big a deal if you manage to follow the other instructions and reach the stack counts mentioned there.