Thread: Civilization VI

Page 20 of 33 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Selastan View Post
    So exploring and hunting for barbarians counts as Warmongering?
    Seems that in the game files, barbs are considered a faction/player, so I wouldn't be suprised if there's a bug that makes it count as warmongering.

Last few games I played I *was* an actual warmonger so it is hard to check
    My DK
    (retired since januari 2017) solely playing PoE now.

15+ Year Old Account
    This has probably been mentioned already, but when trading with AI factions there's a bug with Open Borders.

Basically, if they're interesting in Open Borders, you can demand something in return, press make deal more amendable (they will require some additional gold + gold per turn), then you remove Open Borders from your offer, click make amendable again, and suddenly they want much less gold (often 1 + 1 per turn) and no Open Borders. Obviously a bug since it lets you get most things almost for free. It seems removing Open Borders in that way adds a lot of value to your offer rather than reducing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Revi View Post
    This has probably been mentioned already, but when trading with AI factions there's a bug with Open Borders.

Basically, if they're interesting in Open Borders, you can demand something in return, press make deal more amendable (they will require some additional gold + gold per turn), then you remove Open Borders from your offer, click make amendable again, and suddenly they want much less gold (often 1 + 1 per turn) and no Open Borders. Obviously a bug since it lets you get most things almost for free. It seems removing Open Borders in that way adds a lot of value to your offer rather than reducing it.
    its not just with open borders. i once turned a peace for peace into peace for peace + all gold + all gpt + all luxuries + all great works + 2 towns, and i didnt even enter their territory, was just defending my own city xD

Deleted
    Gah!

Been trying to find out how culture affects border expansion.

Found this:

<Row Value="10" Name="CULTURE_COST_FIRST_PLOT"/>

<Row Value="1.3" Name="CULTURE_COST_LATER_PLOT_EXPONENT"/>

<Row Value="6" Name="CULTURE_COST_LATER_PLOT_MULTIPLIER"/>

<Row Value="30" Name="CULTURE_PERCENTAGE_YIELD_PER_POP"/>
    However, when I test with different amounts of culture per turn, these values don't seem to fit (except for the 10 culture cost for the first plot). Also, if I change the values, nothing changes in game. Boohoo
    Last edited by mmoc933021f019; 2016-10-28 at 06:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Waervyn View Post
    Gah!

Been trying to find out how culture affects border expansion.

Found this:

However, when I test with different amounts of culture per turn, these values don't seem to fit (except for the 10 culture cost for the first plot). Also, if I change the values, nothing changes in game. Boohoo
    Have you tried this :

10+6*n^1.3
    where n is the number of tiles already claimed by culture

Deleted
    Yeah, I've been testing it in the meantime, and I found out the following (I'll just copy from my post on reddit):

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmRqJtdDwSk

Written version:
    I found this really interesting post on reddit where someone found values which might be related to border expansion and culture. I dug up the xml file myself, and they still seem to be the same (no patches or anything):

<Row Name="CULTURE_COST_FIRST_PLOT" Value="10" />
    <Row Name="CULTURE_COST_LATER_PLOT_EXPONENT" Value="1.3" />
    <Row Name="CULTURE_COST_LATER_PLOT_MULTIPLIER" Value="6" />

This suggests a formula in the form of either (6x)1.3 or 6x1.3 where x is the plot number. The first expansion would cost ten culture, but after that it would follow this formula.
    I've been trying this out a couple of times, but I'm finding completely different results. Furthermore, I've changed these numbers in the xml file, but that doesn't have any effect in the game (at least not on border expansion of my empire). EDIT: -Seb- found out that this is wrong. I made a copy in the same folder as a backup named globalparamenters_copy.xml...and somehow the game decided to use that file instead of the original one for the values. So whatever I changed to the original one didn't matter.
    What I did: I did two little experiments. I kept pressing 'end turn' and calculated each turn how much culture I have been accumulating. In the second experiment, I did the same, but I also built a monument to increase my culture output and see what that did.
    Do note that the results are a bit rough. As in the end I got 4.8 culture per turn, this means that I can't pinpoint exactly the number of culture needed, but at least I can provide an estimate.

Plot Nr. Culture needed
    1 10
    2 30
    3 65
    4 115
    5 187
    6 284
    7 397
    I didn't feel like messing around with R or Matlab, but a quick plot in excel with a calculated power trendline gives me 6.87 * x2.06
    This means that (assuming the exponent is actually 2), that you have to raise the plot number to the power of 2, and then multiply that with the constant to calculate how much culture you need to have accumulated for a plot expansion. This makes me wonder what the 1.3 is for in the xml files.
    Again, these are rough values, but I hope they give a better idea of how the game decides when to give you a tile

10+ Year Old Account
    So, question: does anyone feel that the speed of the game doesn't make an actual difference on the time-scale of the game? In Civ 4 and 5, it always felt like more turns generally resulted in later games, ie: the world didn't fill out until more "current" times; while faster games tended to result in having "modern day" technologies hundreds of years ago.

It seems that, regardless of difficulty or number of turns, you still hit the same technological and social points where they feel more "appropriate" to reality.

Also: is the somewhat more cartoonish look of the game really bothering anyone else? I don't mind the leaders so much as the world and units make me take everything less seriously.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    Also: is the somewhat more cartoonish look of the game really bothering anyone else? I don't mind the leaders so much as the world and units make me take everything less seriously.
    No it doesn't bother me. To be honest, more cartoonish look of the game made it much more relaxing, cutier, easier for the eye. I very much like such graphics so it's great and I think most of those who bought it are also admiring the current art style, I saw streamers saying good things about it, so all it all it is liked and noticed.
    Also, maaany reviews are saying that the Civilizaiton VI has an amazing graphic and visual aspects, they do notice this nice change. This art style really fits to the game.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    So, question: does anyone feel that the speed of the game doesn't make an actual difference on the time-scale of the game? In Civ 4 and 5, it always felt like more turns generally resulted in later games, ie: the world didn't fill out until more "current" times; while faster games tended to result in having "modern day" technologies hundreds of years ago.

It seems that, regardless of difficulty or number of turns, you still hit the same technological and social points where they feel more "appropriate" to reality.

Science is generally too fast also thanks to generous Eureka boosts. I suspect both being toned down in the next patches.

I don't mind the cartoonish look per se. I do mind the terrible information presentation and handling of notifications (or lack thereof) and informations of the game much more. Civ has always been a bit on the light-hearted side however more serious on accessibility of informations. This time it feels a bit like playing piano with baking gloves on: infuriating.
    WoW: Crowcloak (Druid) & Neesheya (Paladin) @ Sylvanas EU (/ˈkaZHo͞oəl/) | GW2: Siqqa (Asura Engineer) @ Piken Square EU
    If builders built houses the way programmers built programs,the first woodpecker to come along would destroy civilization. - Weinberg's 2nd law

He seeks them here, he seeks them there, he seeks those lupins everywhere!

I *love* the new artstyle - and strategic view even more!

Gamebreaking bugs is what needs fixing, and as said above, the missing information.

Like.. you can see the diplomacy modifiers in game, but nothing tells you that these are PER TURN modifiers, let alone show you the turns remaining on each modifier so you can actually do diplomacy (instead of just having to remember to refresh every deal every 10 turns exactly) - its just silly. It is CORE to the game, and they cannot even show it correctly

Science is way to fast, even policies feel to fast - but game victories seem much better, no obvious go to victory. I won culture victories by trying for science victories, without even noticing, lol.

And I agree I feel the eureka system, as fresh as it is, is the culprit. They either need to tone them down to maybe 20% max, or increase total science needed for research in general.

But the bugs... makes it unplayable really.
    You getting the AI's production bonus on immortal+ games (yes, it is harder below immortal, as it is on deity, to win a game....)
    Production policies + chopping overflow double dipping (resulting in 1 turn builds of *anything*)
    Scythias completely broken reselling of double units so all you do is build horses whole game and just sell them to buy your buildings (what?)
    Formation of "Armies" that sell for more gold as the individual units cost to buy (so unlimited gold...)

Those 4 alone are making it *hard* to not cheat... I mean, sure I can play king or w/e and sure I can not pick scythia (and make sure AI does not, as AI actually uses it.. lol) and never chop a god damn tree (or never pick the policies...) but the tree part? like, I don't want to hurt myself on purpose just to not feel like I cheat.

I'm back to stellaris until they fix this stuff, it is a very good game, i absolutely love it and the way they took the game forward... but the bugs man
    My DK

I'm loving the game.. I just wish we had better starting options like Civ V had.. also the early barbs are kind of insane.

It seems the best start would be to build at least 3 slingers, builder, slinger, settler to make sure you are in a good enough position to fend off any barbarian or AI early game attack which would also allow you to boost archer research quickly.

I am currently playing as Rome, loving the instant trade route to my capital perk he gets.

I'm not a fan of every single civilization trying to forward settle and obliterate me in every game I play, I used to be a pacifist and turtle up but now I am going out of my way to make the AI regret their decision to go to war and abuse the diplomacy window.

Started a game last night where China, Japan both forward settled me, Gorgo tried to back-stab me and India went to war with me because my scout found him. Now i'm just spamming legionaries and archers while a sea of warriors, elephants and chariots break themselves on my choke points as I slowly pillage everything China has.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemonpartyfan View Post
    I'm loving the game.. I just wish we had better starting options like Civ V had.. also the early barbs are kind of insane.
    Barb spawns seems a bit RNG. On one playthrough I was surrounded by them non stop, but on another I barely had any. I don't like how encampments can respawn in areas that happen to be covered by fog of war even though you previously scouted the area. Once you clear an encampment that immediate area should be cleared.

Quote Originally Posted by noidentity View Post
    It seems the best start would be to build at least 3 slingers, builder, slinger, settler to make sure you are in a good enough position to fend off any barbarian or AI early game attack which would also allow you to boost archer research quickly.

I am currently playing as Rome, loving the instant trade route to my capital perk he gets.

I'm not a fan of every single civilization trying to forward settle and obliterate me in every game I play, I used to be a pacifist and turtle up but now I am going out of my way to make the AI regret their decision to go to war and abuse the diplomacy window.

Started a game last night where China, Japan both forward settled me, Gorgo tried to back-stab me and India went to war with me because my scout found him. Now i'm just spamming legionaries and archers while a sea of warriors, elephants and chariots break themselves on my choke points as I slowly pillage everything China has.
    Being a pacifist really does not work in civ6 eh? :P

I have lost every single game I tried to diplo and pacifist - or rather, ragequit most of them... it just doesn't work.
    The first game I decided to say fuck you to whoever was the idiot that declared me first - and fight back - i won a game lol.

War, especially very early wars (no warmonger penalty) are really attractive in this civ6, bit like warrior rushing someone in civ4, but without that bad of a hit on science/production. Now I always try to take over one or two AI before I hit medieval era.
    My DK

My rule of thumb in the early game is one ranged unit per city. That plus the walls is generally enough to stave off early game aggression, at least on King difficulty(haven't played higher yet). AI tends to just rush you with garbage units and no siege units so they just get slaughtered.

Quote Originally Posted by FobManX View Post
    Barb spawns seems a bit RNG. On one playthrough I was surrounded by them non stop, but on another I barely had any. I don't like how encampments can respawn in areas that happen to be covered by fog of war even though you previously scouted the area. Once you clear an encampment that immediate area should be cleared.
    Yeah, my first game I saw maybe 2 camps... on this game I get them constantly... I had 5-7 barb units circling my only city within 20 turns... wtf? 3 camps were in my vicinity...

I feel like barbarians should start scouting with a little delay. I am usually rushing a slinger but even with them its quite often impossible to catch the scout before he returns. Especially if the scout notices your city before the slinger is even done(turn 2 or so....)

15+ Year Old Account
    Playing with Barbs enabled in Civ VI feels like playing against alien invaders. They seem +2-3 eras ahead very fast and they also seem to be the most dangerous force in the game overall. I still had them mass pillaging farms when my 2nd Mars module was finished. Difficult to catch since they seem to move on terrain via hoverboard it seems, highly robust and deadly in combat.
    WoW: Crowcloak (Druid) & Neesheya (Paladin) @ Sylvanas EU (/ˈkaZHo͞oəl/) | GW2: Siqqa (Asura Engineer) @ Piken Square EU
    If builders built houses the way programmers built programs,the first woodpecker to come along would destroy civilization. - Weinberg's 2nd law

He seeks them here, he seeks them there, he seeks those lupins everywhere!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ravenblade View Post
    Playing with Barbs enabled in Civ VI feels like playing against alien invaders. They seem +2-3 eras ahead very fast and they also seem to be the most dangerous force in the game overall. I still had them mass pillaging farms when my 2nd Mars module was finished. Difficult to catch since they seem to move on terrain via hoverboard it seems, highly robust and deadly in combat.
    That needs to be Civ VI's new meme. First nuke happy Ghandi, now barbarians with hoverboards.

I'm slightly at a loss, every time I attempt to win a domination victory it hands me a cultural one instead. Are you supposed to wipe all the city states off the map as well?
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.