Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Barael View Post
    but for some reason no-one's interested in making OLED computer displays...
    That's cause the draw backs of OLED does not fit computer usage that well. Burn ins, uneven color degradation, not as bad of a color shift as TN but worse than VA / IPS(types) and Plasmas that they replaced. The only redeeming feature is it's contrast, and other techs like Crystal LED do the same and do not have the draw backs of OLED, but too bad that's abandoned due to OLED hype. For image quality enthusiasts (and provided they have the space and willing to put up with the energy consumption, I'm neither of those), they should be looking at Plasmas, not OLEDs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Barael View Post
    A word of warning, a wide color gamut display is actually a really bad idea if you're not doing graphics work and every one of your components (including video card) supports it. I recently returned a Dell UP2516D (which is basically a 30-bit color display instead of the regular 24-bit) because everything looked over-saturated and basically weird unless I turned the sRGB emulation mode on at which point the brightness and contrast of the display took a nosedive.

"125% of sRGB" is actually terrible because it either means a) the panel will still display sRGB color space at which the 25% is, at best, just wasted, b) it'll actually use a wider color space and then regular sRGB content (= basically ALL content outside specialized graphics software) will look like ass.
    The UP series are entry professional monitor and are meant to be wide gamut with the use of GB-r LED backlights. The issue with Dell is that their factory calibration isn't as good as Eizo's Color Edge / NEC's Professional Art when it comes to the different color spaces.

It depends on how you want to look at it in terms of wasted. It looks oversaturated because A. Window's color management is utter ass, and B. Cause the monitor is also retarded, but that's cause they rely on the information received from the software. The increase gamut is a good or bad thing depending on people's point of view and whether they like the saturation or not. A 125% sRGB is a far cry from the 60%~ increase from sRGB to AdobeRGB / DCI-P3. Some people do find the increase saturation pleasant, especially when you look at how many people praise SweetFX. IF you're doing professional work though, you do not want partial cover of the color space, which the monitor in question is pretty much doing, we also have no idea what kind of direction the increase gamut is going to.
    Last edited by Remilia; 2016-11-01 at 05:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dkwhyevernot View Post
    No promises on a photo if mine but I've put a link to a very good source of such things here: http://www.overclock.net/t/1581181/a...show-pics/2160

Hope it helps...
    Is that your Monitor DK?

https://www.otto.de/p/acer-xb271hubm...onId=541150545

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Atwood View Post
    Yeah pretty sure that's the one. To be honest it too good for me really. I think there might be an ips and a tn version. Mine is the ips one.

Even wow feels so much...smoother but also fast.
    Last edited by mmocf0b29d4c77; 2016-11-03 at 11:59 PM.

Yeah pretty sure that's the one. To be honest it too good for me really. I think there might be an ips and a tn version. Mine is the ips one.

Even wow feels so much...smoother but also fast.
    Okay, i ordered may you can tell me how your IPS Glow and Bleeding looks like? I'am new in this Section my last Monitor what i ordered was 6 Years Ago and i don't know how it must look there i can say okay this Monitor is good no High IPS Glow or IPS Glow at wrong Places etc.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    That's cause the draw backs of OLED does not fit computer usage that well. Burn ins, uneven color degradation, not as bad of a color shift as TN but worse than VA / IPS(types) and Plasmas that they replaced. The only redeeming feature is it's contrast, and other techs like Crystal LED do the same and do not have the draw backs of OLED, but too bad that's abandoned due to OLED hype. For image quality enthusiasts (and provided they have the space and willing to put up with the energy consumption, I'm neither of those), they should be looking at Plasmas, not OLEDs.

The UP series are entry professional monitor and are meant to be wide gamut with the use of GB-r LED backlights. The issue with Dell is that their factory calibration isn't as good as Eizo's Color Edge / NEC's Professional Art when it comes to the different color spaces.

It depends on how you want to look at it in terms of wasted. It looks oversaturated because A. Window's color management is utter ass, and B. Cause the monitor is also retarded, but that's cause they rely on the information received from the software. The increase gamut is a good or bad thing depending on people's point of view and whether they like the saturation or not. A 125% sRGB is a far cry from the 60%~ increase from sRGB to AdobeRGB / DCI-P3. Some people do find the increase saturation pleasant, especially when you look at how many people praise SweetFX. IF you're doing professional work though, you do not want partial cover of the color space, which the monitor in question is pretty much doing, we also have no idea what kind of direction the increase gamut is going to.
    You always have good info on monitors Remilia, much appreciated!
    I was looking forward to OLED monitors, I thought it would be the bomb (judging from recent phone buy for my family member that has OLED screen). But you say that color shift is not as good as an IPS? So the only thing OLED has over IPS is the black? Because that is the only gripe I have with my DELL, though it's superbly minor if you are not anal about it.

I have another question, I know that for AMD freesync you need AMD card and nvidia for G-sync, but if the monitor is rated 144hz does it matter if you have the 'wrong' gpu? Like AMD card with 144hz G-sync monitor? I currently have AMD and I would hate to switch to Nvidia, but if AMD doesn't release any good GPU's next year that can beat Nvidia, I might have to :/ (I don't have 144Hz monitor yet).
    PM me weird stuff :3

I would suggest you to buy BenQ BL3201PH

Go for BenQ BL3201PH.
    I believe it matches your requirement.
    32” Display
    USB 3.0 Connectivity
    RevolutionEyesT Technology
    Resolution: 3840x2160

As compared to other monitors having same resolution would cost somewhere around $1700, where you can get it at $750.
    I personally suggest you this one since this brand you can rely with your closed eyes.

Regards,
    Marcene Stolte
    Last edited by Marcene Stolte; 2016-11-04 at 01:22 PM. Reason: Spelling correction

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Atwood View Post
    Okay, i ordered may you can tell me how your IPS Glow and Bleeding looks like? I'am new in this Section my last Monitor what i ordered was 6 Years Ago and i don't know how it must look there i can say okay this Monitor is good no High IPS Glow or IPS Glow at wrong Places etc.
    Have a good read of that overclockers link i posted lots of info and pictures there so you know what to look out for.

All ips monitors of this type have dome glow i barely notice it in a dark room and a black image displayed. Mine has no blb since i loosened the screw behind the logo. No dead pixels, no dust or hairs or dead squirrels trapped in the panel either. Mar 2016 manufacture date. Mine doesnt have the very latest firmware but ive had no problems with it so far set to 165hz.

Would love to know how you get on with yours.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyrops View Post
    You always have good info on monitors Remilia, much appreciated!
    I was looking forward to OLED monitors, I thought it would be the bomb (judging from recent phone buy for my family member that has OLED screen). But you say that color shift is not as good as an IPS? So the only thing OLED has over IPS is the black? Because that is the only gripe I have with my DELL, though it's superbly minor if you are not anal about it.

I have another question, I know that for AMD freesync you need AMD card and nvidia for G-sync, but if the monitor is rated 144hz does it matter if you have the 'wrong' gpu? Like AMD card with 144hz G-sync monitor? I currently have AMD and I would hate to switch to Nvidia, but if AMD doesn't release any good GPU's next year that can beat Nvidia, I might have to :/ (I don't have 144Hz monitor yet).
    Better pixel color response (depends on what type of OLED) and blacks is about the only advantage an OLED has. Phones have a different usage scenario, different from TV and from desktop use, though arguably you can swap desktop and TV depending on what you do. Though in typical uses there is a lot of static information for prolonged periods of time for desktop monitor use, which is why burn in is a potential issue.
    There are no perfect display types really, and the best ones for image quality are still Plasma or CLED, and one is dead and one was dead before it even arrived. Not to say these don't have downsides they definitely do, especially in size and weight.

As for refresh rate, doesn't matter what type of monitor/gpu combination, it should all work.
    Last edited by Remilia; 2016-11-04 at 05:39 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Better pixel color response (depends on what type of OLED) and blacks is about the only advantage an OLED has. Phones have a different usage scenario, different from TV and from desktop use, though arguably you can swap desktop and TV depending on what you do. Though in typical uses there is a lot of static information for prolonged periods of time for desktop monitor use, which is why burn in is a potential issue.
    There are no perfect display types really, and the best ones for image quality are still Plasma or CLED, and one is dead and one was dead before it even arrived. Not to say these don't have downsides they definitely do, especially in size and weight.

As for refresh rate, doesn't matter what type of monitor/gpu combination, it should all work.
    Are you saying OLED has burn in issues? I might look into buying 144Hz one on black friday, if there's a good discount.

I have two to choose from Asus MG279Q or Acer XF270HU, seems that Acer has blur reduction over Asus, that's the only thing I can see from TFTcentral review, Asus also has some cons that are not good in my opinion (Lag a bit higher than hoped at lower refresh rates) but I only used DELL and Samsung before that and my friend didn't have good experience with Asus he bought some years ago. Only seen Acer monitors at work for office use.
    PM me weird stuff :3

10+ Year Old Account
    Are you saying OLED has burn in issues? I might look into buying 144Hz one on black friday, if there's a good discount.

I have two to choose from Asus MG279Q or Acer XF270HU, seems that Acer has blur reduction over Asus, that's the only thing I can see from TFTcentral review, Asus also has some cons that are not good in my opinion (Lag a bit higher than hoped at lower refresh rates) but I only used DELL and Samsung before that and my friend didn't have good experience with Asus he bought some years ago. Only seen Acer monitors at work for office use.
    Yeah, OLED has burn in issues.

Check out BenQ XL2730Z. Acer one doesn't have innate motion blur reduction. You may be looking at a different model which uses Nvidia's ULMB which is in all reality worse than BenQ's and Eizo's motion blur reduction implementation.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm going to get ridiculously sad when my F8500 Plasma dies. No option in the market right now to substitute it =(

So the only thing OLED has over IPS is the black? Because that is the only gripe I have with my DELL, though it's superbly minor if you are not anal about it.
    To be honest I wouldn't underestimate the power of the infinite contrast ratio, it might sound silly when you think that the only major advantage darker black levels (specially when LCDs nowadays can get brighter than OLEDs), but contrast is still the most obvious and noticeable picture element and once you've seen a display that can turn really dark you will always be able to differentiate between them and the ones that can't.

I always link this video when I'm talking about this, it compares a UHD LCD TV to a FHD Plasma in a blind test to prove that image quality and viewing experience beats the resolution difference easily:

In this case we have 2 major differences between the sets, the Plasma by definition is a low persistence display that can make your eyes perceive motion perfectly without any eye-tracking motion blur. LCDs are sample-and-hold by default which causes eye-tracking motion blur making things blurry.

The second major difference is that Plasmas can go way, way, darker than LCDs which makes the picture way more realistic. Even when the color reproduction is somewhat the same you'll still find the colors to be more distinct between themselves when you look at the plasma simply because the contrast ratio between them and the dark parts of the picture is way higher.

When we compare LCD to OLEDs, both have the same eye-tracking motion blur problem. Although they can use the exact same method to try to fight it, which is increasing the refresh rate or doing BFI (black-frame-insertion). I'll quote myself to explain why keeping the image causes motion blur, but regarding the second point OLED is even more ridiculous than Plasma when compared to LCDs. Plasmas don't really go full 0cd/m² black levels, the pixels can't turn off completely because otherwise they wouldn't have enough time to follow with a full bright white in a black->white transition and would miss-fire.

Now quoting myself about eye-tracking motion blur:

Quote Originally Posted by Artorius View Post
    Ignore this part if the only concern is gaming

Displays don't refresh at 24Hz do they? So how do they show you a 24fps (23,976fps to be precise) content? Normal standard 60Hz displays just display even frames 2 times and odd frames 2 times. (2+3)/2=2.5 and 2.5*24=60. This, however, will cause half of the film to stay more time at the display than the other half, and the effect it gives to the movement of things is called judder. We increased from 60Hz to 120Hz to eliminate this problem since at 120Hz we can simply repeat each frame 5 times and be happy.

144Hz was born from 3D. Why? Because at 120Hz to do 3D you'll end up having to do 3:2 pulldown which causes judder. At 144Hz you divide it in half for each eye, which gives you 72Hz per eyes and 72Hz is a direct multiple of 24Hz. Simply show each frame 3 times per eye.

Ok you can stop ignoring it now

Motion blur comes from another thing. Nowadays most of it comes from the sample-and-hold nature of LCD/OLED displays. But it can also be causes by slow cells (mainly a LCD problem).

Try do to a smooth movement with your eyes from the left to the right on your field of view, you can't. Your eyes can only do smooth movements when they're tracking a moving object and they're used to work this way. Your brain is conditioned to "lock" and move your eyes accordingly when you're trying to look at something that is moving.

Now imagine a display, simplifying things you can say that each frame will stay at the screen for 1/refresh-rate seconds. Your brain will try to do a smooth movement with your eyes like it would normally do with real life moving objects but the display will only change what's on screen after a 1/refresh-rate interval. Which leads to a problem, your eyes will see the same image for more than one perspective (since it'll move smoothly) when they're expecting to be following something with this movement.

This will make your brain understand the image as blur.

So why CRTs, Plasmas, low-persistent OLEDs and BFI-capable LCDs are immune to eye-tracking motion blur? Because they don't keep the image, they pulse it in short intervals which also resets the movement tracking on your eyes at each frame. Meaning that you'll be able to see them all clearly.

CRTs and Plasmas work like this by default, Plasmas for example can only make their pixels turn on or turn off and there's no middle value or any gradient. How do they show dark and bright scenes then? How do they control the amount of light? Simple, the display isn't exactly refreshing at 60Hz. It does this at higher values like 600Hz or 960Hz sub-field-drive which up to 10~16 pulses per normal frame. Pulsing 10~16 times at a given frame will result into "white", not pulsing will give you "black".

OLEDs can be done as low-persistent displays as well, the Oculus Rift uses a low-persistent OLED display. Which is probably just doing the same thing as BFI-Capable LCDs, inserting black frames in between real frames to reset the motion tracking in order to make the movements clearer.
    When it comes to LCDs they all share the same disadvantages that are characteristic of LCD displays:

1 - Bad blacks
    3 - Bad motion resolution
    2 - Bad viewing angles

Then you have various different panel technologies that try to somewhat "fix" the problems, if we arrange them into 3 more prominent groups we have TN, IPS and VA.

TN - Cheap and fast, is pretty much the shittiest in everything minus pixel response time and price. Pretty much the "base" model.

IPS - Tried to fix the viewing angles problem, with some success. The viewing angles aren't as good as Plasmas but they're way better than your average TN/VA and the panel uniformity is usually great. This means that IPS displays have good off-axis performance and things should look the same almost regardless from where you're looking at it, which makes it good for any professional color work since accuracy is extremely important. Note that what is better is off-axis performance, if you're sitting from a 0 degrees position to your display looking straight at it then IPS and TN should look mostly the same, the TN might have some shifting in the edges but the image in the center is literally the same.

VA - Tried to fix the black levels problem, VA panels can get from 3x to 8x darker than IPS/TN panels while also having slightly better viewing angles compared to TN, but still much worse than IPS. VA panels are clearly superior when it comes to media consumption (specially with lights off) which made it the default for expensive LCD televisions nowadays. IPS works for monitors because people are supposed to use their computers with lights turned on, which kind of makes the black levels problem less bad.

I can talk more about it if you guys want but I feel like this post is getting too long
    Last edited by Artorius; 2016-11-04 at 09:04 PM.

I had monitor Philip 17 inches for during 10 years, no problems, but after this time it dead, unexpectedly.

10+ Year Old Account
    @Artorius Oh and yeah you can edit it a bit, the low persistence OLED in Rift/Vive are black frame inserts, 1 insert per frame 2ms persistence.
    @Cyrops That said, if you're worried about black levels and high refresh rate you'd probably want to look at one of the BenQ monitors, but they're 35" at 2560x1080 or wait and see how the new Samsung / BenQ releases are. AUO's (BenQ's) new high refresh VA panels took a regression for viewing angle shifts though compared to their normal / recent AMVAs. Pretty sure most if not all new high refresh BenQ monitors has their low motion blur thingy added so that's a bonus.
    My FG2421's MVA panel has a 5000:1 spec and real life contrast (measured it myself and reviews) which honestly is pretty nice for a desktop display. There aren't that many 5000:1 contrast desktop monitor, let alone high refresh, well... there's only one that's discontinued.
    Last edited by Remilia; 2016-11-05 at 12:31 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    @Artorius Oh and yeah you can edit it a bit, the low persistence OLED in Rift/Vive are black frame inserts, 1 insert per frame 2ms persistence.
    Someday we should make a thread to put all the repetitive information and simply link it when people ask.

Deleted
    Holy shit remilka and antorias thanks for all that info and effort.

Just out of curiosity what displays do you use?

Have either of you tried the acer 271hu ? Id live to know what you think of it.

Holy shit remilka and antorias thanks for all that info and effort.

Just out of curiosity what displays do you use?

Have either of you tried the acer 271hu ? Id live to know what you think of it.
    I think its worth taking a chance on this:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M1DEEYP

Gsync/freesync are only really worth it if the games you are playing are at very low FPS, otherwise low motion blur is a much more noticeable and effective technology.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    I think its worth taking a chance on this:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M1DEEYP

Gsync/freesync are only really worth it if the games you are playing are at very low FPS, otherwise low motion blur is a much more noticeable and effective technology.
    i tried ulmb on my acer and didn't like it. i only gave it a quick go and probably didn't set it up properly.

i tried ulmb on my acer and didn't like it. i only gave it a quick go and probably didn't set it up properly.
    What did you not like about it, first person ive ever seen that said had a bad experience with strobing.

Quote Originally Posted by Steik View Post
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/ASUS-PG278Q.../dp/B00LBZLIXG

That's what i use, love it. No complaints.
    I know 4k isn't what you are looking for but I do have the 4k version of this monitor and just want to remark at it's wonderful quality and awesome stand. From my experience with the 4k I would recommend the 1440p 144hz version.