Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account

Freezing computer

I had no problems with my new computer since I bought it. I reinstalled computer after buying a M.2 ssd and suddenly I got problem with the computer "freezing up" suddenly. I cannot move mouse, use keyboard or anything at all. Only solution is holding down the power button to shut down.

I have checked temperatures and they are fine.

Intel i7 6700, Gforce 980 Ti

On the off chance you got a bad drive can you do a windows drive scan? To do that open file explorer, go to "This PC" then right click on "Local Disk (Your disk name here)" it's Local Disk (C:) by default I believe, then click on "Properties" and click the "Tools" tab. Once you've done that you should see a box that says "Error Checking" press the check button and report back your results.

And can you provide more details like how often it happens and does it only happen while gaming?
    Last edited by Mythbredor; 2016-11-02 at 10:46 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    It said there was no errors

Have you checked Event Viewer for any errors that relate to your issue?

15+ Year Old Account
    Yes. Nothing out of the ordinary there. I guess the system just freeze up instantly so nothing can be reported.

Quote Originally Posted by Cryonic View Post
    Yes. Nothing out of the ordinary there. I guess the system just freeze up instantly so nothing can be reported.
    See I have/had this exact same issue still not sure if I've fixed it or not yet. So far I'm pretty sure it's a hardware issue, probably a ram issue. I'd download memtest and stick it on a thumb drive and let it run while you're asleep or at work.

Out of curiosity can you also tell me your motherboard/ram model?

15+ Year Old Account
    Asus z170-k

Go to Control Panel(view by: Large/Small icons) -> Action Center -> Expand "Maintenance" -> View Reliability History.

What kind of red X errors, if any, are there? If there are none, get some sort of SSD check software(PCCheck for example) on a thumb drive and boot through that(BIOS to Legacy/CSM mode first). Also get Memtest x86 on the same thumbdrive and check your RAM.

I find this way of looking for errors much more simplified than trying to crawl through event viewer.

Did you update the bios?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tehterokkar View Post
    Go to Control Panel(view by: Large/Small icons) -> Action Center -> Expand "Maintenance" -> View Reliability History.

What kind of red X errors, if any, are there? If there are none, get some sort of SSD check software(PCCheck for example) on a thumb drive and boot through that(BIOS to Legacy/CSM mode first). Also get Memtest x86 on the same thumbdrive and check your RAM.

I find this way of looking for errors much more simplified than trying to crawl through event viewer.
    Hi. I did not have Action Center in my control panel, sorry

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Logwyn View Post
    Did you update the bios?
    I already had the latest one

Yeah as I said I have/had same issue my best lead currently is that it's a ram/PSU issue. Memtests came back clean but I'm guessing it's a stability issue. Still not sure yet. Could be a drive causing the issue but I followed that lead and got nothing. Definitely a hardware issue.

To the OP definitely run memtest and let me know what you get.
    Last edited by Mythbredor; 2016-11-02 at 11:49 AM.

Hi. I did not have Action Center in my control panel, sorry
    Try copypasting this into Windows explorer navigation bar: Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Action Center

I call bs that you don't have it, every Windows install has it. You just didn't look hard enough.

This is what it should look like roughly(random google pic, can't take screenshot on work pc):

Quote Originally Posted by Tehterokkar View Post
    Try copypasting this into Windows explorer navigation bar: Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Action Center

I call bs that you don't have it, every Windows install has it. You just didn't look hard enough.

This is what it should look like roughly(random google pic, can't take screenshot on work pc):
    It's called "Security and Maintenance" he's on windows 10

Quote Originally Posted by Mythbredor View Post
    It's called "Security and Maintenance" he's on windows 10
    smh windows naming schemes strike again... Fuck them and fuck their naming shit making everything so complicated between different windows versions.

15+ Year Old Account

15+ Year Old Account
    No afterburner here

- - - Updated - - -

Froze about 20 times so far this day

Since this is a new PC, I recommend removing one of the two RAM modules and try operating the PC for a day or so on one of the two modules. If you get a freeze again, substitute active RAM module with the other RAM module and try again.

This would remove the RAM from the equation.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mythbredor View Post
    Yeah as I said I have/had same issue my best lead currently is that it's a ram/PSU issue. Memtests came back clean but I'm guessing it's a stability issue. Still not sure yet. Could be a drive causing the issue but I followed that lead and got nothing. Definitely a hardware issue.

To the OP definitely run memtest and let me know what you get.
    I used to have the same thing. PC would freeze once every 8 hours or so. Problem went away when I changed RAM modules. I noticed the RAM modules were quite dirty with an earth-like sustance (dirt) when I removed them, so it is possible that the errors were caused by the dirt that had accumulated on the motherboard and RAM modules over the course of 1.5 year.

In my case too, memtest cam out clean.
    Veteran vanilla player - I was 31 back in 2005 when I started playing WoW - Nostalrius raider with a top raid guild.

Quote Originally Posted by Sturmbringe View Post
    I used to have the same thing. PC would freeze once every 8 hours or so. Problem went away when I changed RAM modules. I noticed the RAM modules were quite dirty with an earth-like sustance (dirt) when I removed them, so it is possible that the errors were caused by the dirt that had accumulated on the motherboard and RAM modules over the course of 1.5 year.

In my case too, memtest cam out clean.
    I too have had memtest come back clean yet still found faulty RAM to be the culprit of problems. Both in my old PC, when it started having problems booting, tested each stick of RAM individually, overnight with multiple passes, no errors found. Running one stick at a time, no problem. Run both at once, could not boot. Best friend had similar issue where PC would not boot with either one or both sticks or RAM, yet booted fine with my RAM. This is with BIOS updates done, XMP profiles checked and everything else you could think of. In both cases, the RAm that tested good, when replaced, caused the problem to go away. memtest is a good first step, but does not completely rule out faulty RAM.

15+ Year Old Account
    I ran Memtest86 for a few hours. No errors at all. Hmm

I ran Memtest86 for a few hours. No errors at all. Hmm
    Not enough.

Start memtest prior going to bed and leave it running until you return from work the next day.
    Veteran vanilla player - I was 31 back in 2005 when I started playing WoW - Nostalrius raider with a top raid guild.