Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by bt4 View Post
    It's not.
    It is.

Never has been for arena's. You got several weeks and then everyone who cared was in full gear. Endgame pvp had zero progression at the end of any season.
    Prior to the WoD (somewhat) and Legion (out of control) RNG Item-enhancement, it was exactly like PvE. Several weeks in, "anyone who cared" was geared or damn close to it, and since there wasn't an endless chance of RNG procs ensuring that you couldnt actually get BiS - it was entirely possible to be "done" gearing in PvE for a particular tier as well. Fairly easy, even.

I think you also put far to much weight on your own anecdotal experience. "Most" people took 2-4 months to gear up in full Conquest. ("Most" people who did end-game PvP never set foot into Arenas, even). People like carrots.

PvE is the gear grind threadmill because it needs to be as most players don't progress in player skill and need character progression to avoid stagnation in raiding. PvP however is not build arround that and it can't be build like that, your opponents are players too and even with progression you ain't getting stronger than your opponents unless the scaling is imbalanced which however is just bad design again.
    ... and this caps of the display of how out of touch you are with human behaviour, game design, and the truth of the matter.

PvP was always about progression. Yes, you could "finish" progressing for a given season, just like you could "finish" gearing for a raid Tier....

doesn't change the fact that it's the carrot that gets people on the treadmill (or, in this case, into the Ladder). Without it, the ladder is contracting and dying. Enjoy that.

Deleted
    Dead wrong, many pvp games do not rely on carrots but solely on a ladder system. Its more than enough to get people playing if they add new content. Carrots =/ content

Also any serious competitive pvp game doens't reward power the longer you play, only titles, ranking or skins at best.

You guys can spin it as much as you want, in the end its just a bad case of "I want to feel like my epenis is bigger than this noob here and two shot him"

If you need to feel better about yourselves by crushing others, how about you play better? Oh wait, that goes against the main reason people play this game. Its not about competence, its about bragging rights.

- - - Updated - - -

Also you do have a carrot with prestige and honor talents. I guess the only decent carrot for you is gear, what a coincidence.

Any good pvper outhere hasn't stopped playing because they can't get gear to roflstomp others, they just play because they like the pvp and are actually competent at it. On the opposite, those who need carrots to do anything are the worst, low skilled, players on this game that want to treat pvp like a pve dungeon.

I am doing a lot of PvP, despite some of the awful inbalances right now (melee heavy), but in fairness...there is always a inbalanced one way or another.

But yeah, im doing PvP right now. Just lots of BGs and 2s. No RBGs and might start up 3s with some buddies soon.

Quote Originally Posted by lateralsx5 View Post
    Dead wrong, many pvp games do not rely on carrots but solely on a ladder system. Its more than enough to get people playing if they add new content. Carrots =/ content

Also any serious competitive pvp game doens't reward power the longer you play, only titles, ranking or skins at best.

You guys can spin it as much as you want, in the end its just a bad case of "I want to feel like my epenis is bigger than this noob here and two shot him"

If you need to feel better about yourselves by crushing others, how about you play better? Oh wait, that goes against the main reason people play this game. Its not about competence, its about bragging rights.

- - - Updated - - -

Also you do have a carrot with prestige and honor talents. I guess the only decent carrot for you is gear, what a coincidence.

Any good pvper outhere hasn't stopped playing because they can't get gear to roflstomp others, they just play because they like the pvp and are actually competent at it. On the opposite, those who need carrots to do anything are the worst, low skilled, players on this game that want to treat pvp like a pve dungeon.
    The ladder system collapsed in WotLK (which led to them adding rated BG's in Cata and changing the conquest gearing system). It is currently leading to another collapse in Legion which is why they already changed things in 7.1 but it is still not enough to reverse this trend.

Quote Originally Posted by Mafic View Post
    The ladder system collapsed in WotLK (which led to them adding rated BG's in Cata and changing the conquest gearing system). It is currently leading to another collapse in Legion which is why they already changed things in 7.1 but it is still not enough to reverse this trend.
    Don't think you know what the world collapse means.

Quote Originally Posted by mmowin View Post
    I dont know what it is. But lately I log into do my WQs, maybe grind some artrifact power, do a bg then log off if it's not a raid night. Previous expansions I always wanted to do arenas / bgs but this expansion its like meh. What's changed?
    it all leads to being a huge grind of artifact power ... not fun

pvp is mainly a test of who performs their pve rotation most accurately, most games are just a zerg fest so it's not enjoyable
    another aspect of course is that there is zero rewards apart from the glad drakes so there's no point even pushing rating

You're conflating all PvP games as if they are the same. They are not. Shooters, MOBAs, RTS, MMOs are all vastly different. WoW is a game where literally every other aspect involves character progression. For it to be absent from PvP is jarring and stupid.

Would you consider League of Legends a "serious competitive game"? I would... and you progress your summoner level (which leads to talents that apply in-game to your characters and increase power), and buy progress in the form of Runes and new characters - from playing. (In fact, you CANT buy runes with anything but the currency earned from playing). I also would never, ever consider WoW to be a "serious competitive PvP game". It's an MMO - a genre defined by character progression - and therefore almost entirely unsuited to competitive play. And for those idiots who think "one or two percent dont matter" - League is a perfect example of why they DO.

So... you're wrong.

- - - Updated - - -

Honor talents are a worse grind than PvP gear ever was, and dont add to character power EXCEPT in PvP. Prestige progresses your character.. how again? Oh yeah, it doesn't.

Without those players you have no ladder. Do you not get that? For every person above 2k rating, there have to be TWENTY people on the ladder below 1500. Without an incentive to get on the ladder (I.E. progression) ... the ladder will collapse. It IS collapsing. There are less than half the people currently on the ladder than there were int he last season of WoD (which was the smallest ladder since LK).

Quote Originally Posted by Kagthul View Post
    -snip-
    Agree with you mate, i don't get why people on different pvp forums keep on repeating that WoW pvp does not need rewards, gear progression or skins other than title. It honestly starts to bug me, it seems those ppl are bunch of casuals or pvers who dont understand that the gear progress in pvp was the biggest and the original carrot ever since classic that drove majority of pvpers to compete.

As an ex-arena player and now semi-filthy casual player, I'm happy that it feels like less like World of CCraft and enemies can't just vomit stuns/CC on you until death. Even if I get cheesed down in some other way, at least it feels like I had the chance to fight back and I can't say that about WoD or MoP.

On the other hand, if you're into arenas...find a new hobby, probably. I almost feel like this expansion was a message to arena players as a whole.

I consider myself a good pvper, not the best, but definitely good, i pvp on my main for past 9 years. Personally i always cared about pvp tabards/ elite sets more than titles, hence my biggest objective this season get elite xmog set and of course get high ilvl gear to have an upper hand against majority of players on wow. So does it make me worst and low skilled player? Surely not, i think you are confusing type of game we are playing, WoW always was is and will be about a huge cycle of gear grind both PvP and PvE.

Ppl who simply enjoy ladders in pvp play Overwatch / SC, ppl who play WoW enjoy gear grind, being able to rolf stomp weaker players, and having best possible gear in game, this what WoW is all about, if you think ppl who pvp in WoW do it just for the ladder...well maybe you need to do some rated pvp yourself @ decent rating before claiming you know what majority of PvPers want.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Irian View Post
    On the other hand, if you're into arenas...find a new hobby, probably. I almost feel like this expansion was a message to arena players as a whole.
    Personally i still enjoy arena, the only thing Blizzard needs to do is bring pvp-vendors back

Quote Originally Posted by heinz0r View Post
    If you were only looking forward to "pwning the noob" in previous expansions then thats not something that was right with the game, it was something that was, and probably still is, wrong with you.

This right now is a total mess because of the gearing process and the glaring imbalances between melee and casters, including even less customization and optimisation that lies in the players hands. The devs that are at the helm right now are doing everything, so that the user has no choice left in order to truly optimize his class and suit it to his playstyle. Remember, this is still an mmorpg, yet the rpg elements and stat optimising is almost gone, the only part where there is still a bit of it left is pve.

And they wont tire to keep telling you that they are doing this for the good of the game so that they can balance it better. Yeah guys, guess what? If you already strip it down so much and then you still cant get it done, there might be that off chance, that they are just not good enough at their job... and perhaps it might be better for the game, to give some control back to the players, instead of failing time and time again... this is going on since cata, when they first started pruning stuff and taking choice away, and the game has been in decline since then, because with every new addon, the games combat system feels more and more shallow.
    I don't think I've ever played a game where the carrot on the stick for PvP wasn't "Pwning all the noobs"

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gatsbybutters View Post
    That's the point of mmo's though. Meridian, ultima, eq, doac, your goal was to be the best, get the shiniest gear, and rain down vengeance for all the times you got rekt while moving up, whether it was enemy players, or all clearing all those god damn gnolls in blackburrow with one aoe. This isn't an mmorpg, at least not for a while now.
    This ^^^^^^^

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Saberstrike View Post
    The problem with 'it's all about skill' sentiment is that it's never about skill, it's about which 1-3 classes are at the top facerolling everything. It would be about skill if devs understood problems with their own game and acted to balance it. Credit where credt's due -- there's been more changes than throughout all of WoD already --, but the game requires some major sweeping at it's core to make PvP enjoyable again.

Specifically, a squish of HP / Damage / Healing numbers across both pvp and pve to make it so HP and mana are a resource that's spent throughout the fight, not unmoving with a healer anywhere around you, or gone instantly if you get stunned.
    The other problem with that is once the skill cap it reached/approached, PvP just becomes so similar to a game of chess that just I log off and play chess with my roommate.
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterHamster View Post
    Everything is artificially prolonging the game, it's called the game

Not only that, but after the new expansion feel was over, I log on for raids and every few days to do a few emissaries and thats it.

I'd be happy if so many of the pvp talents that used to be baseline abilities/talents were made as such again. Then I wouldn't have to deal with the most atrocious iteration of a pvp system this game has seen since vanilla.
    Quote Originally Posted by High Overlord Saurfang
    "I am he who watches they. I am the fist of retribution. That which does quell the recalcitrant. Dare you defy the Warchief? Dare you face my merciless judgement?"
    i7-6700 @2.8GHz | Nvidia GTX 960M | 16GB DDR4-2400MHz | 1 TB Toshiba SSD| Dell XPS 15

Deleted
    I just want the elite pvp set, enchant illusions and tabard to be buyable once you get the required rating.

Quote Originally Posted by Vodakhun View Post
    I just want the elite pvp set, enchant illusions and tabard to be buyable once you get the required rating.
    so much this ^^^^, i am same way but unfortunately there are no pvp tabards or enchants this season as far as i am aware, no idea why blizzard didnt give us this season tabard/enchant

Quote Originally Posted by Snegovik View Post
    so much this ^^^^, i am same way but unfortunately there are no pvp tabards or enchants this season as far as i am aware, no idea why blizzard didnt give us this season tabard/enchant
    I liked how it was in wod where you just needed to spend your stored conq points

Maybe you are bored of the game now?

15+ Year Old Account
    theres no reason to pvp anymore. I want to grind out wins until i have enough conquest points for my ilvl710 weapon that i can put the most expensive enchant on and now i can wreck noobs....thats all gone

Quote Originally Posted by Miff View Post
    I liked how it was in wod where you just needed to spend your stored conq points
    Well i did not mind either the way it was through out all arena seasons & WoD that once u got 2k, u could unlock skins, 2.4k for enchant, 2.6k for tabard, these were just visuals and had 0 effect on PvP or PvE balance, yet it provided a firm/distinct reward for PvPers, you knew if you lvled an alt 2 month before end of season you could get your rewards if you pushed rating. Now its all about RNG nonsense >.<. Not sure who @ BLizzard dev team thought RNG rewards would feel fun and rewarding, prob a guy who does not pvp at all.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by gutnbrg View Post
    theres no reason to pvp anymore. I want to grind out wins until i have enough conquest points for my ilvl710 weapon that i can put the most expensive enchant on and now i can wreck noobs....thats all gone
    I remb in Wrath there were Elite PvP wpns that you could unlcok @ 2350 cr, those were as good as or just below top end game PvE wpns

Deleted
    Its funny how most of the ppl replyed in this topic act just like cowards
    "Oh but i cannot 2shot poor new alts anymore..."
    Personally i enjoy to PvP now even that i never will step foot in arena i still time to time do Battlegrounds.Ppl in open world think twice before they dare to attack me simply because this can end fast to their death because even as poor dragonslayer i can be much more experienced than them