Page 13 of 37 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    Which makes it a Belgian issue, not an example of how 'super democratic' the EU is.
    No, that we gave a shit about what Belgium thought.
    That was what made the EU democratic.

Deleted
    It would be UKIP heaven.

A smug Farage again. The horror!

And you'd see a rise in the likes of the BNP.
    didn't even realise bnp were still around... i thought their voters drifted towards ukip

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Helden View Post
    Got a better option?
    Bureaucracy.

You can see why I like the EU.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    You say 'want something different' as if their desires are capable of being substantiated by, you know, evidence, or ethical reasoning.
    Democracy is about how you want to shape society, there's no need for evidence or ethical reasoning in that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitro Fun View Post
    Democracy is about how you want to shape society, there's no need for evidence or ethical reasoning in that.
    Well that certainly explains Brexit voters.

10+ Year Old Account
    Except for the whole, you know, being racist and isolationist.
    Hating people for their skin colour, or their 'unacceptable' views, is still hating people.

One wants closed borders, the other open borders.

I want nothing of what you either of you are offering, I quite the centre-right and I can put up with the centre-left every now and then, so it is no from me to your intolerance and no to theirs as well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hating people for their skin colour, or their 'unacceptable' views, is still hating people.
    Gee, I wonder if there's a difference in moral weight between hating someone for something beyond that control with no real impact on others versus hating someone for willfully espousing beliefs that are self-destructive and detrimental to others.

Sorry, I'm not a hippie.

I want nothing of what you either of you are offering, I quite the centre-right and I can put up with the centre-left every now and then, so it is no from me to your intolerance and no to theirs as well.
    And people wonder why I call centrists spineless.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GoblinP View Post
    No, that we gave a shit about what Belgium thought.
    That was what made the EU democratic.
    Nobody gives a shit about Belgium.

Deleted
    Well that certainly explains Brexit voters.
    The problem with the argument that democracy needs a moral core, is that while you laud it for rejecting homophobia, It can just as easily be justified, due to a moral and ethical reasoning, that the homosexuals should be stoned.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Seja Victrix View Post
    And how much sovereignty will we really gain by leaving? We still have to deal with the EU. We'll just have given up our very powerful seat at the table.
    As a relatively-ignorant 'Murican (unfortunately, we have our hands full with the 2016 election clusterfuck so I haven't been able to give Brexit the attention it rightly deserves), this actually makes me wonder why Brexit got such a push. The UK will likely have to deal with the EU for trade agreements anyway, unless they plan to get everything from the US and China or whatever, so why would they knowingly put themselves at a disadvantageous position in those trade deals as they need the EU's trade more than the EU needs theirs?
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

10+ Year Old Account
    Didn't Parliament already "vote" by simply allowing the people to vote?

I'm confused.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thage View Post
    As a relatively-ignorant 'Murican (unfortunately, we have our hands full with the 2016 election clusterfuck so I haven't been able to give Brexit the attention it rightly deserves), this actually makes me wonder why Brexit got such a push. The UK will likely have to deal with the EU for trade agreements anyway, unless they plan to get everything from the US and China or whatever, so why would they knowingly put themselves at a disadvantageous position in those trade deals as they need the EU's trade more than the EU needs theirs?
    Brexit got a push for the same reason Trump has a following.

The changing socioeconomic realities in Britain have left a lot of working class people in poorer economic and political circumstances than they would have been, and demagogues like Farage have channeled that feeling of resentment into hatred of the EU to advance their careers.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Beazy View Post

I'm confused.
    The referendum was more to get an idea where the peoples' thoughts on the matter lay in an advisory manner. Parliament isn't required to adhere to the referendum's results, but it's generally a bad idea to go against the will of the people without an absolutely killer PR campaign.
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GoblinP View Post
    The problem with the argument that democracy needs a moral core, is that while you laud it for rejecting homophobia, It can just as easily be justified, due to a moral and ethical reasoning, that the homosexuals should be stoned.
    Sure, if your premises are batshit insane.

10+ Year Old Account
    Gee, I wonder if there's a difference in moral weight between hating someone for something beyond that control with no real impact on others versus hating someone for willfully espousing beliefs that are self-destructive and detrimental to others.

Sorry, I'm not a hippie.
    And who made you the moral arbiter?

And people wonder why I call centrists spineless.
    Rather be called spineless than advocate ending free speech for speech you don't like and ordering people to accept what, in your opinion, is best for them.

The authoritarian far left has a far worse reputation than the centre right does, I am fine with where I stand.

And it was centrists like Britain that stood alone against extremists in the past, whilst the rest of the continent caved in, or had non-aggression pacts with them - one heck of a spine for a spineless bunch.

10+ Year Old Account
    The referendum was more to get an idea where the peoples' thoughts on the matter lay in an advisory manner. Parliament isn't required to adhere to the referendum's results, but it's generally a bad idea to go against the will of the people without an absolutely killer PR campaign.
    This is true. Handling Brexit requires a level of tact and competence that neither Labour nor the Tories have demonstrated for quite some time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Lots of people didn't vote for economic reasons. Annoyingly.

Deleted
    The UK will likely have to deal with the EU for trade agreements anyway, unless they plan to get everything from the US and China or whatever, so why would they knowingly put themselves at a disadvantageous position in those trade deals as they need the EU's trade more than the EU needs theirs?
    They were lied to.
    That's pretty much it - They were told you could leave the EU, stay in the common market and skip the dirty polish.
    Never mind they were told that wasn't an option multiple times.

Even in the sense that they regain some sovereignty, that is true, but in practice, they will now have perfect sovereignty but no power, because in practice, the EU will by its sheer size and importance influence the UK, so as to reduce this De jure soverignty de facto.
    Its a bit like Canada and the US - yes Canada is sovereign, but how much could they resist if they wanted to be wholly 'independent' ?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Beazy View Post

I'm confused.
    No, the referendum was to see what the people wanted and then the Government is supposed to act on that result.

Deleted
    Sure, if your premises are batshit insane.

People who believe the sky man created the earth 6 thousand years ago and the fossils (as a joke to us) and humanity, and then gives a shit about where a man sticks his dick.