[Prot] Uther's Guard

Hey all, lurked here for some time. Played a bunch in WotlK and a little bit of Cata, then stopped until now. Been enjoying Legion, still learning the new stats haha.

RNG saw fit to bless me with my first legendary this week, Uther's Guard, from a Nightfallen cache. Totally stoked as it replaced my 840ilvl class hall bracers. I was hoping for the pants or 4% ring, but excited none the less.

My question is, do any of you with a legendary(ies), use it for more than a stat buff? It seems kind of an outlier when looking at some of the more game changing ones. I've run a few mythic dungeons with it and so far have only benefited from the effect once. Doing mythic EoA on the last boss when we almost wiped at the last few %. I hit the healer, who was about to die, with 12 seconds of spell warding and we both finished off the boss.

The legendary just feels weird, since it saved us from failing at mechanics. I feel like better skilled players than myself and a good guild group, would never need the added time it gives.

Any ideas/discussion?

I apologize if there's already a thread on this, I tried using the search box and nothing came up.

Thanks.

Turkeytoe; Rexxar-US

I looted Uther's Guard this week too! The only times it's been helpful to me so far are clearing brambles on Cenarius (I like to tank the adds for this reason) and saving the day during heavy periods of spell damage (Like the HP link on Renferal).

I'd say that even in progression raiding the ability to prevent damage to the tank during periods of high spell damage can help healers catch up on raid heals and might be enough to save the day. (Pure Speculation, I have yet to tank Mythic.)

It's not a fantastic Legendary (God I hate crit) but its utility for raids seems pretty cool to me for the time being. If I ever get a second and then third legendary I might reconsider but I'm proud to have it equipped right now for more than just the stats.

Quote Originally Posted by Choice View Post
    All in all, yeah it's a shitty legendary.
    Outside of Heathcliff's Immortality, which Legendary's Equip ability isn't nearly useless on most boss fights? They're all pretty situational. This one just happens to be extra situational.

Quote Originally Posted by Adamantite View Post
    Outside of Heathcliff's Immortality, which Legendary's Equip ability isn't nearly useless on most boss fights? They're all pretty situational. This one just happens to be extra situational.
    Taking less damage while standing in cons? Lowering guardian CD with every shotr? Even AS hitting 5 targets is more than just situational.

Good points! I haven't really started raiding yet, outside of LFR (snooze fest), but I'll keep the advice in mind. I guess I've been neglecting sacrifice too, so may have to start using that more. I think I just need more practice to see some potential uses haha.

I felt like the increased freedom would be good for PvP, but I don't PvP.

Quote Originally Posted by Masternewt View Post
    Taking less damage while standing in cons? Lowering guardian CD with every shotr? Even AS hitting 5 targets is more than just situational.
    Less damage while standing in cons was the exception he mentioned.

AS hitting more than 3 targets is situational on boss fights.

I agree about lowering guardian CD though(but its AS, not SotR)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquamonkey View Post
    Just because Mannoroth and Archimonde are involved doesn't mean it's Legion. They could just be on vacation, demolishing Draenor to build their new summer home.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dundebuns View Post
    Did you know that salt has sodium and chlorine in it!!!! Sodium explodes when exposed to atmosphere and you clean your toilets with chlorine!!

Quote Originally Posted by Turkeytoe View Post
    Good points! I haven't really started raiding yet, outside of LFR (snooze fest), but I'll keep the advice in mind. I guess I've been neglecting sacrifice too, so may have to start using that more. I think I just need more practice to see some potential uses haha.

I felt like the increased freedom would be good for PvP, but I don't PvP.
    Freedom is good in a few dungeons but mainly just handy. If you use it on the bramble patches against oakman (dht) you avoid adds and take no damage.

Hand of Sac is where you see the real wipe preventing moments.

I have the bracers and the neck (which I don't use) and while not amazing I do like them