10+ Year Old Account

Should less spells be able to go face?

Right now I think far too many spells are able to go face and spells are no longer used for minion removal and simply used to burst down your opponent. I'm tired of Mages and Shamans being able to do huge amounts of burst damage with spells alone, do you agree with me or think its fine the way it is?

Shaman spells are somewhat balanced. They only have Lightning Bolt and Lava Burst right?

Mage spells are a good, but that's what the class is. They're spellcasters. I think at the end of games, it gets overwhelming, having survived sorcerer's apprentices, mana worms, and flame wakers early game, just for a couple of fireballs and roaring torches to come reigning down on you, but for the most part I think the class is balanced well.

It's just that Ice Block + various faceballs is a bit unfair.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    Shaman spells are somewhat balanced. They only have Lightning Bolt and Lava Burst right?

Mage spells are a good, but that's what the class is. They're spellcasters. I think at the end of games, it gets overwhelming, having survived sorcerer's apprentices, mana worms, and flame wakers early game, just for a couple of fireballs and roaring torches to come reigning down on you, but for the most part I think the class is balanced well.
    This is mostly how I feel too. I see a lot of posts every so often when nerfs come around saying that Frost Bolt and Fireball should be nerfed, but at the same time mages are meant to be able to have that option. That is simply how the class was designed from basically the beginning, similar to how hunters will always be based around face finishers, despite current midrange deckbuilding, all due to how the hero power itself emphasizes the deck to go more face than other decks.

What people don't realize is that if mages shouldn't be able to do things like double fireball + ping to face for 13 damage than other classes also should not be able to have big face finishers either, such as grom + inner rage for 12. Either everyone who has big finishers now get to keep them or nobody should have them.

Now, with that said, I do believe that the spells are still too much. Face spells and minions should always be a playstyle option and at times a win condition, but I think being able to kill you opponent (who is above 30% of their health) at ten mana with no Thaurassion ticks is a little stupid. In WoW you don't see execute abilities doing extra damage to players who are at say 30-40% of their health, it needs to be 20% or lower. In Hearthstone I think it should be similar. Spell fiinishers shouldn't be able to do much more than 10 damage to face at max mana, unless they are putting together combos such as Thaurassion or spell damage minions already on board.

The way that I would handle spell face damage would be to either make most spells that can both go face or minion removal, and that don't have drawbacks to using them (such as Hellfire) and make them act sort of like the choose one druid option, (e.g. Fireball is still 4 mana but either does 6 damage to a minion or 5 damage to face). Another alternative option would be to increase most face spells that don't have drabacks by one mana & then create kind of duplicate spells for the old mana cost & have those duplicates only be able to damage minions, thus allowing people to still deck build around spells that can go both face & minion, but making spells that only go minion most cost effective (e.g. Frostbolt would increase to 3 mana & still be able to go face or minion & then create a duplicate, name it 'Frost Ray' or something, that has the old 2 mana Frostbolt cost, but can only damage minions). Right now spells are too versatile & powerful, with almost no drawbacks. Most cards should be balanced around one or the other, not both, but that is exactly where spells are now.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dilbon View Post
    It's just that Ice Block + various faceballs is a bit unfair.
    It has to be, mage is absolutely craptastic at winning primarily with minion damage (apart from the odd coined double Mana Wyrm that you have no answers to that just beast you down on their own while he controls everything you throw out). The whole class is designed around win conditions that involve spells to face
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)