Page 10 of 25 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Why must everything be accessible?
    Why not? More content for more players is better.

The "casual" hate, need to be a snowflake reminds me this definition to be honest (from wiki):

"Psychopathy (/saɪˈkɒpəθi/), sometimes also known as sociopathy (/soʊsiˈɒpəθi/), is traditionally defined as a personality disorder characterized by persistent antisocial behavior, impaired empathy and remorse, and bold, disinhibited, egotistical traits."

Seems to fit some gamers it seems. Sick generation.

I'm not really in the camp of making everything available to everyone for no effort, but...

I tend to look at WoW in the same way that I'd look at other consumer products. If 10 million people pay the same price for the same TV, what functions are available for use aren't turned off for some and not for others just because some may watch it more or may find more difficult ways to enjoy it than others do.

Apples and oranges, you might say?

I disagree. If Samsung TVs required some sort of test (or attunement) for access to its full functionality, but another producer of a similar TV did not, they'd risk losing business to the competitor.

WoW is really no different. It's a product Blizzard (and its parent company and stockholders, all of which desire $$$$) hopes to successfully market and sustain interest in for as long as it can. To do that they have to keep people interested, invested, or otherwise complacent enough to not cancel their subscription. Whether you login or not is really a secondary concern to whether you keep paying. You keep people interested by giving them more and more of what they want without ever quite giving them ALL of what they want, so as to keep them coming back in hopes of getting the rest of it.

While I'm sure there are blocs of people that think Blizzard only caters to the mythic raiders, or those who think they only cater to the casuals, the truth is largely somewhere in between. The % of people that successfully do Mythics at the level they have any notoriety is low. Similarly, the number of people that will leave if not given immediate gratification is also low. So Blizzard probably hopes to continue to appeal to the player base that securely inhabits the area between regularly does Normals and attempts Mythics.

What a lot of people in the game seem to value is this special little snowflake status of being one of the few people to have or accomplish something. They feel like other people doing it, wanting it, or accomplishing it somehow diminishes their own accomplishments. If Blizzard eventually lowers the bar for accessibility it doesn't take anything away from the people that did it the hard way.

Complains about people being antisocial and egotistical behavior while complaining about having to be a team player and others enjoying something different than them. Yup, hypocrites all over.

I don't see any problem with accessibility. End of the day each level of content has its own difficulty and its own rewards. People of a certain skill or anti-social level might only accomplish it on heroic and that is fine. People with more skill or more willingness to be social in an MMO can complete it on higher difficulties and thus get higher rewards. It makes enough sense. I don't think "being able to see these walls at all" should be a reward. I mean first of all it isn't a very good reward and second I don't think its really good business practice to gate almost a whole patches content away from a demographic. I think this gets furthered since they have also taken this same approach with raids and it only makes sense to make both systems uniform. End of the day if I am clearing it on mythic it really doesn't effect me if someone is clearing it on heroic, normal, or LFR either.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    How long have difficulty settings been in video games? Decades? What is it about WoW that makes the special snowflake tryhards think they're somehow entitled to be the only ones participating in some aspect of the game? How is your experience negatively impacted by someone doing the same thing on a lower difficulty setting?
    Maybe those "special snowflake tryhards" are entitled to partecipate in some aspect of the game because you know...they play more/better

What if i told you that the boss itself IS the difficulty?

In the end is just a point of view of the game and now your (totally not bitter and biased) Pov is ahead because WoW is old and casuals bring more money

Who cares what others get or get to see? Do what you like at what ever difficulty you can and don't worry about someone else. Why do some people care that someone you won't ever meet, talk to, interact with or play with sees something? How could it possibly effect you when the existence of said person isn't even known to you? Worry about yourself.

casuals bring more money
    Considering that cosmetics and services have offset sub losses before tokens was introduced I would say those who spend more than just a monthly sub are the ones bringing in more money. At this point even those who buy token for gold are contributing to increased revenue for the developers than the boring standard subscriber. Not going to stop people from slapping vague labels on themselves and others and segregating themselves from others to dictate their worth over others.
    Last edited by nekobaka; 2016-11-05 at 11:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Emaias View Post
    While I am inclined to agree entirely with you. It isn't a secret that there are far more casuals then "serious" players. But I guess what I don't understand is why people don't look forward to obtaining goals anymore? Like getting vials back in BC and finally being able to ENTER T6 raids was such a rush. That type of thing would NEVER exist today.
    the strange thing about that logic is that wow was at its most successful during TBC and wotlk. dumbing it down for casuals has only lead to reduced subscribers.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by tgoodchild View Post
    That shits for my job You know, in the real world where effort and work ethic and such are lauded and massive hours spent perfecting your video game skills are derided as the waste of time that they really are.

Stop worrying so much about how other people enjoy spending their entertainment time and just have fun in the way you deem appropriate for yourself. If you're really so worried about other people's work ethics then you'd be better off spending your time exhorting them to apply themselves harder in RL and less in a video game.
    I prefer to make my own group, but i undestand your point, also:
    /thread

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by nekobaka View Post
    Not going to stop people from slapping vague labels on themselves and others and segregating themselves from others to dictate their worth over others.
    Sharp.... but anyway is bad having "labels"?

Quote Originally Posted by Emaias View Post
    So honestly I'd like to hear that side of the story.
    In order to generate as much money as possible your content must be accessible to the masses and the masses are retarded. Ezpz.

Quote Originally Posted by therealbowser View Post
    No source. However, I am not saying people that are running it, but people that are running it regularly. Most people I've talked to have ran it once or twice and lost interest due to the lack of loot, or are unable/unwilling to it because of its design.

Obviously I'm exaggerating, but not much. It's probably closer to 10-20%. I certainly don't know how many people are running it more than once, and I'm not sure there's a viable way to measure this.

I would be curious to see MMO-champ list a graph of how many people completed Karazhan so far out of all of the 110 characters currently in the game.
    Seeing its packed with people outside karazhan entrance and around at any given time atm,LOTS of people doing Karazhan. If its 5, 10 or 50% of the server I dont know, but it seems like it is a huge success. Comparing to CoS and the Arcway, where I have never seen more than 10 people around them, seems like an indication of mythic karazhan is way more accessible for the overall playerbase than those two.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Team View Post
    Because companies like Blizzard have started to cater to the people who whine about having to put in work. Most games are now catering to the casuals, simply put.

If anyone tells me "Dude no they aren'ttttttttttttttttt theirs still mythic raids!"

lol
    Plenty of games out there that cater to those that want a challenge. You're a bloody liar. Bet my backside you don't even do that stuff.

You keep the most subscribers by appealing to the most amount of people. Any MMO is evidence of that and those that havent have died or have a very small, niché community.
    I'm sure you can find your place in one, if you weren't addicted to the game you hate.

The one and only reason to why everything must be accessible :

The average raider is a casual.

Quote Originally Posted by Dumbleduck View Post
    It's not by a vast majority of the player base. ( At least not for now)
    Here is the definition of accessibility.
    You are confusing usability with accessibility. Even though all of the content is usable by everyone in the game, not all of the content is accessible by them as currently there are not that many effective systems in the game to let people with disabilities such as lack of time, strange working hours social anxiety, ... Experience all the content.
    Having said that, as mentioned in my previous posts, I don't think making all of the content accessible by everyone is a good idea, but all of the instances in the world should he accessible at least on one difficulty.

Edit: usable in this context means payable.
    Sorry i don't agree with you. I had strange working hours, i found a guild that raided late night. Lack of time, i would do it on my free time i just needed to organize my time. social anxiety... man really? It's a MMO what did you expect single player mode? You don't need to play 8+ a play to do stuff that's just an excuse. The real life exuse just amazing. My guild are ppl that play WOW for over 10+ most of us. Work, family and such excuses ppl use i can say it's just lack of organization, it's lazyness from players because there many guilds like us that do the content with those same issues. People here say to play and get better it's a waste of time, imo over 9 years of WOW i've learned that i needed to improve to be better player, we as group needed to improve as a team to reach our goals and that shape the way i am. Now i always try to better, to do better, to be the best i can be in WOW and in real life. I work, have a girlfriend, have a house to clean and take care of, i have friend and go out with them, i play football in a league and i play WOW. So it's up to ppl to do better or just cry that it's too hard.

Quote Originally Posted by Bradley View Post
    Maybe those "special snowflake tryhards" are entitled to partecipate in some aspect of the game because you know...they play more/better

What if i told you that the boss itself IS the difficulty?
    go try normal and mythic+ and say only boss itself is the difficult and is it really so bad that they add normal and heroic so more ppl can see the content

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gratlim View Post
    Why must everything be accessible?
    Why not? More content for more players is better.

The "casual" hate, need to be a snowflake reminds me this definition to be honest (from wiki):

"Psychopathy (/saɪˈkɒpəθi/), sometimes also known as sociopathy (/soʊsiˈɒpəθi/), is traditionally defined as a personality disorder characterized by persistent antisocial behavior, impaired empathy and remorse, and bold, disinhibited, egotistical traits."

Seems to fit some gamers it seems. Sick generation.
    Nah, you are going too far. Actually, their behaviour is quite natural tho also immature. People tend to see things from their own perspective and will make up various theories to support their own view. WoW is a multiplayer game and you need others in order to complete certain goals. When you stumble upon issues with finding people to play with you will start making up reasons outside yourself why you are unable to play. That's why people so often blame the game or other people for their own issues within the game rather than think about what they really want and what truely is the issue. Maybe the solution lies within themselves. But to realize that one requires certain level of emotional maturity. Very rare trait among humans still.

Better question is why youd be concerned about other people seeing content.

its smart business. the more content people have access too, the longer they will continue to pay to play WoW. The more money blizzard makes, the better off we are really, I dont have a problem with blizzard opening content to all skill levels. You as a player can choose how you want to play and who you want to play with.

Deleted
    You probably aren't even a hardcore player yourself.

"Look, I have completed a mythic dungeon with DBM installed. I got my rota and stats priorities from icy veins and additionally read several guides on the bosses. Look how hardcore I am."