Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Blastfizzle View Post
    Remember that by NOT tipping, you actually help the person serving you by motivating said person to improve.
    Just wut? You are joking right?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mihalik View Post
    Just wut? You are joking right?
    Am not. Why do you think so? o.O
    By getting less money, they are encouraged to IMPROVE to make MORE money. It helps their motivation.
    IF you give them money, they can just say "whatever" and remain the same.

By getting less money, they are encouraged to IMPROVE to make MORE money. It helps their motivation.
    I can't even be bothered anymore.

Deleted
    If visiting the US you might want to think twice before eating in a restaurant, since in most places the food is a mixture of what, in other countries, you normally find in the garbage can, in genetic mutation labs, radioactive hazard sites, etc, with some ingredients from alien planets in other galaxies added

My opinion might seem somewhat exaggerated to you now, but remember my words, you will laugh (or cry ) after your visit. Enjoy anyways, afterwards you 'll appreciate living in a place where actually eating the food feels different/better than eating say the plates..
    Last edited by mmoc0db28a6c7b; 2016-11-05 at 07:45 PM.

Sounds like you've never eaten from a restaurant beyond fast food.

My big surprise about america food is I wen't to applebees and my friend asked for a dish with mushrooms, but they can hold the mushrooms. So, they could not comply because basically what they are doing is microwaving prepacked stuff and they would have to sit there and pick out every little mushroom.

It was all good, but hey weren't we talking about tips? Effort? I mean I wish I could make a 20$ tip microwaving 5 meals for a table.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fang7986 View Post
    wait staff gets paid the same amount as cashiers at grocery or other retail stores or anyone else working a minimum wage job. Fed law requires they get still get paid the federal minimum even if they don't get a single tip. So unless you are tipping all those other people you are being a hypocrite if you tip just the wait staff and not every one else you deal with that makes the federal minimum. source https://webapps.dol.gov/elaws/faq/esa/flsa/002.htm
    True.

However, in practice, if they the company has to make up the difference, they often penalize the wait staff in some other way. Up to and including firing them.
    Tiriél US-Stormrage

Signature by Shyama

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zenotetsuken View Post
    Ok, so here is a quick run down on how I tip.

Taxi - Tip based on the length that you travel. I usually tip like $.50 for every $2.50 on the meter.

Sit down restaurant where you have a waiter/waitress - Tip $5 for every $20 if the service is good, Tip $5 for every $30 if the service is average, Tip $1 if the service is poor. (The $1 tip is more of a slap in the face than not leaving any tip IMO. $1 says that you were willing to tip, but the service wasn't even really worth tipping for. If you have $1 in coins, it is even better)

Bartender - Tip $1 for every non-specialty drink. $1 for every $5 for those specialty drinks.

Fast Food - No Tip

Shopping - No Tip

Coffee Shop - Up to you, I usually give like $1

Gas Station - No Tip

Bus - No Tip

Bellhop at a Hotel - $5 if they bring your bags up to your room

General rule that I personally stick to, is that tipping is really only expected and given where the service provided comes from an individual investing their time into your well being. Hope this helps a bit for some people out there.
    tipping the retard who opened a beer bottle cap, then charges you 800% the supermarket price.

when will people ever learn.

Partying in Valhalla
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by fluttershypony View Post
    tipping the retard who opened a beer bottle cap, then charges you 800% the supermarket price.

No, the guy who opened a beer bottle and works for the person who determines what to charge you and pays the first guy absolute shit.

Quote Originally Posted by HeatherRae View Post
    True.

However, in practice, if they the company has to make up the difference, they often penalize the wait staff in some other way. Up to and including firing them.
    then the wait staff actually has some incentive to earn a tip and not expect it. I have no problem with tipping for good service, but expecting a tip for doing the bare minimum and standing in the corner playing games on your phone while I'm waiting for the condiment I asked for 20minutes ago? It's not going to happen. If you get horrible service that you know is on the wait staff you shouldn't be expected to tip. Stiff the waitress because your burger was underdone, kind of a dick move because it's probably the cooks fault. Order food wait nearly an hour and have the waitress drop off your bill yet you never got your food because she forgot to bring it out and then she throws a fit when you mention you never got your food and she says "that's not my problem" yeah you aren't getting a tip.

Herald of the Titans Zenotetsuken's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by fluttershypony View Post

Going to the bar in the first place is a stupid waste of money, but if you choose to waste your money doing it, don't be stingy to the person that serves you.

I Loved Kitchen Nightmares USA

Made me very cautious of how I ate while vacationing in America

Herald of the Titans Zenotetsuken's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Afrospinach View Post
    My big surprise about america food is I wen't to applebees and my friend asked for a dish with mushrooms, but they can hold the mushrooms. So, they could not comply because basically what they are doing is microwaving prepacked stuff and they would have to sit there and pick out every little mushroom.

It was all good, but hey weren't we talking about tips? Effort? I mean I wish I could make a 20$ tip microwaving 5 meals for a table.
    The servers don't make the food, the cooks do. The tips go to the server, so it was likely that the cooks wouldn't/couldn't pick out the mushrooms, and the servers are servers, not cooks.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Annoying View Post
    No, the guy who opened a beer bottle and works for the person who determines what to charge you and pays the first guy absolute shit.
    Was that supposed make any sense? You want bottle opener to make decent money...from opening bottles...

Partying in Valhalla
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Serpha View Post
    Was that supposed make any sense? You want bottle opener to make decent money...from opening bottles...
    There's a difference from "decent money" and "not absolute shit". Also, that was just to correct that the guy opening the beer isn't the reason for the 800% price hike.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    It is customary to Tip in the U.S. If you do not, nothing will happen to you. You will just upset someone who replies on those tips to live. So it is up to you about how empathetic you are.

10% for crappy service.
    15% for service that is expected.
    20%+ for service that actually impressed you.
    if someone is giving you crappy service, why are you tipping them at all?

I don't believe in tipping. If the server doesn't do a good job they should be fired.

Dude server 10%.
    Female server 15%
    solid 8+/10 female server 25%.

Quote Originally Posted by dvaz View Post
    Dude server 10%.
    Female server 15%
    solid 8+/10 female server 25%.
    That's pretty solid advice but I would tweak the numbers.

Dude 5%
    Female 10%
    Hottie 25%

Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    That's pretty solid advice but I would tweak the numbers.

Dude 5%
    Female 10%
    Hottie 25%
    Add old lady to the dude tier and we gucci.