Are toilets a piece of furniture, or an appliance?

An appliance is a machine used for routine housekeeping tasks, like a refrigerator or a washing machine. I'd argue that a toilet is furniture because it doesn't use fuel or electricity. A sink isn't an appliance, right? Or is it?

Please discuss.

10+ Year Old Account
    Its a fixture.

It's...it's a toilet?

I wouldn't say it's either honestly.

EDIT- Fixture would be the right word in my opinion.

But...
    a piece of equipment or furniture that is fixed in position in a building or vehicle.
    "a light fixture"
    synonyms: fixed appliance, installation, unit
    "fixtures and fittings"
    ...my head hurts.

A toilet is a fixture. It is not furniture. It is a part of the residence.

I'd only call it furnature if it was made of solid (or plated) gold and with a seat cover made of velvet and resembles a cushion. Ofc I'd need a large TV in front of it, but that's a minor expense at that point.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Amnaught View Post
    An appliance is a machine used for routine housekeeping tasks, like a refrigerator or a washing machine. I'd argue that a toilet is furniture because it doesn't use fuel or electricity. A sink isn't an appliance, right? Or is it?

Please discuss.
    Of course it uses fuel. How do you think the cistern fills after a flush? The energy used for pumping (forget all the treatment side of it for simplicity)by the water company is factored into any flat rate or metered supply bills.

When's the last time you took a shit on your sofa? (Don't actually answer that one)

I mean....I'll agree with the word fixture. If I had to choose between furniture or appliance I'd go with appliance.

Quote Originally Posted by Amnaught View Post

Please discuss.
    Most other furniture does not require a water supply either.
    There are toilets which have a water spray and drying fans, for people with physical disabilities.
    Those are still toilets.

You can't define it was one or the other easily.

Fixture due to being a fixed location for the most part is I think the only part we can be certain on.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

its both

talk to an interior decorator once in your uncultured lives

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'm also going to go with 'fixture' as the most common term for it. A toilet generally has more in common with things like overhead lighting, sinks, or cupboards than it does with either a fridge or a sofa. When you are looking at a house that is unfurnished or comes without appliances (which a lot of people want, makes it easier to put their own stuff in), generally most people expect that it still has toilets.

What about fireplaces?

Deleted
    Furniture. Which is why i have decided to buy a golden toilet&shower whenever i win the lottery.

i would say furniture, you sit on it

some toilets are quite expensive, more expensive than a chair you would call furniture

Having a toilet in a house would not make that house count as "furnished" for the purposes of council tax. I would go with "fixture" as so many have already.
    BreweRyge: Adds a resource meter for Brewmaster brews, as if they were on a rage- or energy-type system.
    Hidden Artifact Tracker: Adds your progress on unlocking the extra tints for your hidden artifact appearance to the item tooltip.