Keyboard Turner
    7+ Year Old Account

Help my motherboard may be dead

I came home from work, and when I turn my PC on, I notice that it had no signal towards the monitor, and my keyboard did not power on. The PC turned on, and it kept shutting off. I opend the pc, and the GPU does like it wants to start but it doesn't. The MB code display, does not power on, and the power button on the MB itself dos not work, is it the MB or PSU or What?!?!? Could it have been an update?

I have an ASRock MB, Intel 2500K, NVidia GTX 970.

Thank you!

Couldn't be an update wouldn't affect your hardware at all unless you applied a bios update yourself. First off pull out your GPU completely, plug your monitors into your onboard graphics (back of the motherboard display outs) pull the power cable and flip the switch on the back of the powersupply to the off position leave it like that for 15-30 seconds plug it back in and flip the power back on. Try booting back up if it does the same thing, the next step would be finding another powersupply to test with. But for the sake of my sanity could you please try moving your computer to a different room and powering it on there (IE a different outlet on a different breaker).

Also what powersupply are you using? And do you know of any power outages/surges in your area at the time while you were at work?

Quote Originally Posted by raom01pr View Post
    The MB code display, does not power on
    the code displays or it doesn't?

i've never had a motherboard with an error code display, do they still do a beepy error code?

Keyboard Turner
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mythbredor View Post
    Couldn't be an update wouldn't affect your hardware at all unless you applied a bios update yourself. First off pull out your GPU completely, plug your monitors into your onboard graphics (back of the motherboard display outs) pull the power cable and flip the switch on the back of the powersupply to the off position leave it like that for 15-30 seconds plug it back in and flip the power back on. Try booting back up if it does the same thing, the next step would be finding another powersupply to test with. But for the sake of my sanity could you please try moving your computer to a different room and powering it on there (IE a different outlet on a different breaker).

Also what powersupply are you using? And do you know of any power outages/surges in your area at the time while you were at work?
    I'm using Thermaltake Smart M series, which by the way the fan of it still works.

I tried removing the GPU, and nothing it just powers up, and it shutsdown.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by the boar View Post
    the code displays or it doesn't?

i've never had a motherboard with an error code display, do they still do a beepy error code?
    The error code display, does not turns on.

Try reseting your cmos, just look up a guide not too tricky. Also try reseating all your power cables on your motherboard. Make sure your CPU cooler is properly secured. Take a stick of ram out and try booting with only one (boot with it in the furthest slot away from your CPU).
    Last edited by Mythbredor; 2016-11-07 at 01:15 AM.

Scarab Lord Triggered Fridgekin's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Reseat your RAM with one stick in an unused bank.
    A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon.

Keyboard Turner
    7+ Year Old Account
    I cleared the CMOS, and I have removed another stivk of ram, and I still can get anything working, no ports, etc... it just stays on, a and sometimes it shuts down.

- - - Updated - - -

Try reseting your cmos, just look up a guide not too tricky. Also try reseating all your power cables on your motherboard. Make sure your CPU cooler is properly secured. Take a stick of ram out and try booting with only one (boot with it in the furthest slot away from your CPU).
    I also did the pin test wth my psu, and it turned on, although I did not use connect anything to it, just saw the integrated fan turn on. It is odd, how the fans connected to the MB still turn on, do u think it could be MB?

- - - Updated - - -

Since I may be getting a new MB, and I have the i5 2500K, I know my socket is 1155, but doe the newer MB are compatible with my CPU or do I need an old model MB that isspecifically for 1155 socket?

Quote Originally Posted by raom01pr View Post
    I cleared the CMOS, and I have removed another stivk of ram, and I still can get anything working, no ports, etc... it just stays on, a and sometimes it shuts down.

- - - Updated - - -

I also did the pin test wth my psu, and it turned on, although I did not use connect anything to it, just saw the integrated fan turn on. It is odd, how the fans connected to the MB still turn on, do u think it could be MB?

- - - Updated - - -

Since I may be getting a new MB, and I have the i5 2500K, I know my socket is 1155, but doe the newer MB are compatible with my CPU or do I need an old model MB that isspecifically for 1155 socket?
    You need a old motherboard compatible with the lga 1155 socket. It is sounding like your motherboard no real way to be 100% sure until you've swapped stuff out.

Keyboard Turner
    7+ Year Old Account
    You need a old motherboard compatible with the lga 1155 socket. It is sounding like your motherboard no real way to be 100% sure until you've swapped stuff out.

Who still sells Z68 or Z77 MB's?

15+ Year Old Account
    Your suggesting wasting money on a old motherboard to test an old system? Not saying its not his mainboard but thats not sound advice to troubleshoot.

His symptoms could be as small as a bad device on a usb port.

OP, First test the psu, a simple meter will do, if that passes, disconnect everything from your pc except one stick of memory, disconnect all hard/CD drives, video card, all usb devices except keyboard and try to boot, if it boots start adding devices back until it stops booting. If it doesnt, try all your memory sticks one at a time in different banks.

Quote Originally Posted by moremana View Post
    Your suggesting wasting money on a old motherboard to test an old system? Not saying its not his mainboard but thats not sound advice to troubleshoot.

His symptoms could be as small as a bad device on a usb port.

OP, First test the psu, a simple meter will do, if that passes, disconnect everything from your pc except one stick of memory, disconnect all hard/CD drives, video card, all usb devices except keyboard and try to boot, if it boots start adding devices back until it stops booting. If it doesnt, try all your memory sticks one at a time in different banks.
    Well if you read his original post he stated that it happened after he came home from work. Could be a USB device but I highly doubt it just decided to stop the PC from posting. Could be the powersupply but testing it unless he has a powersupply meter can be tricky if people have never done it before. And currently everything points towards a dead mobo/psu, or it could be something shorting. He already tried pulling the GPU out.

One other thing he could try is putting a new cmos battery. But outside of that the most likely things here are either A, a dead PSU or B, a dead motherboard.

Keyboard Turner
    7+ Year Old Account
    Last question, if I replace my MB with a LGA 1155, can I keep my i5 2500k, and I won't need to buy Win 10?

15+ Year Old Account
    Well if you read his original post he stated that it happened after he came home from work. Could be a USB device but I highly doubt it just decided to stop the PC from posting. Could be the powersupply but testing it unless he has a powersupply meter can be tricky if people have never done it before. And currently everything points towards a dead mobo/psu, or it could be something shorting. He already tried pulling the GPU out.

One other thing he could try is putting a new cmos battery. But outside of that the most likely things here are either A, a dead PSU or B, a dead motherboard.
    A power supply meter? No one said go buy a $150 "power supply meter" that is for techs in the pc industry, not home users. A simple $15 multimeter from Home Depot will work, and yes I agree it is probably his PSU. It indeed could be a usb device causing it, it could be ram, could be a addon card, could be a HDD, or CD Drive...it could be, which is why I suggested booting from bare and adding perifs if it indeed booted to find the culprit, its less expensive and will eventually yield results. Putting in a new cmos battery isnt the cure either, that only hold setting in the bios and date/time, if it was bad, it would at least boot and tell him his cmos settings were changed enter F1, F2 etc....

If the PC does have a bad mobo, then spending cash on a newer mobo/ram/cpu would be wiser than buying a z68/75/77 mobo on ebay, its a crap shoot and the decent ones I could find briefly were going for $100+ as no one sells them new anymore.
    Last edited by moremana; 2016-11-09 at 12:40 PM.

Keyboard Turner
    7+ Year Old Account
    I got a new PSU, and same thing, the GPU fans want to start but the just budge a little only.

- - - Updated - - -

Any advice on CPU? I looked at 15 6500 (I never overclock) or the FX 8350.

Thank you!

- - - Updated - - -

It's odd, cause I have case fans, and case connected to the MB, and they work just fine, well maybe the power button sometimes won't work.

Keyboard Turner
    7+ Year Old Account
    It was the Motherboard, I ended up, getting an MSI H110M Grenade, i3 6100, and DDR4 Kinston Fury 8gb 2133MHZ.

I just ran WoW, and BF4 all seems to be just fine. No difference, although my apps open quicker, thanks to the new ram.

Thanks, for all the help!