Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by themaelstorm View Post
    The reason I'm asking is because I read this actually.

It's vague as fel :P
    He was a generic character pulled out of thin air and his backstory is being filled in maybe once every half decade.

All we know about him now is that he was a human ranger general (probably the only one) and now hes Sylvanas' fuck boi it appears.

I don't think he has much lore other than that one quest back in vanilla? But he was highly memorable because he was an NPC in the middle of EPL that you needed a raid to kill. In fact I think he was the only outdoors raid-level "boss" in vanilla? Until Kazzak.

Quote Originally Posted by Friendlyimmolation View Post
    The fact that he treats the player character like shit makes him unique and liked by alot of people.
    Getting killed over and over in vanilla probably gave him a lifetime of disrespect for PCs :P
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by Sliske View Post
    He was a generic character pulled out of thin air and his backstory is being filled in maybe once every half decade.

All we know about him now is that he was a human ranger general (probably the only one) and now hes Sylvanas' fuck boi it appears.
    Ranger-Lord* That's one rank below Ranger-General, so it's the highest one can get in the Farstriders (since new Legion lore seems to say that the Ranger-General of Silvermoon was a hereditary rank being passed down the Windrunner line until none remained alive and present with the skill and resumé to deserve it).

Known Ranger-Lords are Lor'themar, Renthar Hawkspear (who led the High Elves who didn't want to siphon mana from mana worms to Quel'lithien Lodge when Lor'themar was forced to banish them because Quel'thalas couldn't afford to be divided or have people weighing them down who didn't want the strength that the mana source provided), and Nathanos himself.

Though Halduron was likely a ranger-lord, at least after Quel'thalas was destroyed if not before. Perhaps promoted quickly as Lor'themar's second-in-command (cuz my headcanon that Lor'themar may have been Ranger-General for however long Kael'thas was in Quel'thalas until he left and proclaimed Lor'themar Regent Lord) before he then became Ranger-General whenever it was that that happened.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    Getting killed over and over in vanilla probably gave him a lifetime of disrespect for PCs :P
    If I remember correctly, it was the other way around.

Quote Originally Posted by Friendlyimmolation View Post
    The fact that he treats the player character like shit makes him unique and liked by alot of people.
    You're a faggot with a Ramsay avatar and you say some stupid shit like this. Blow your head off.

Infracted.
    Last edited by Aucald; 2016-11-08 at 12:22 PM. Reason: Received Infraction

The Unstoppable Force Friendlyimmolation's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    The Dreadfort, or Korriban. You never know.
    That's hilarious
    Quote Originally Posted by WoWKnight65 View Post
    That's same excuse from you and so many others on this website and your right some of threads do bully high elf fans to a point where they might end up losing their minds to a point of a mass shooting.
    Holy shit lol

The ghost of Rickon has visited MMO-C.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    Does the CIA pay you for your bullshit or are you just bootlicking in your free time?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    I'm quite tired of people who dislike something/disagree with something while attacking/insulting anyone that disagrees. Its as if at some point, people forgot how opinions work.

Quote Originally Posted by Combatbulter View Post
    It is a tragedy. I think... I believe that our kind is cursed, <name>. We are cursed to lose our greatest warriors; our most noble heroes; our most gifted scholars.

We are indebted to you and I assure you, <name>, wherever Nathanos Marris is now, he smiles down upon you.
    Awkward...

10+ Year Old Account
    Burned Teldrassil, cooking up tasty delicacies with all the elven fat I can gather
    Quote Originally Posted by YouAreSick View Post
    You're a faggot with a Ramsay avatar and you say some stupid shit like this. Blow your head off.

Infracted.
    Given your post history and join date, seems like you visit the forum just to get banned. I'm sure there's a strong feeling of fulfillment and purpose in that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keyblader View Post
    It's a general rule though that if you play horde you are a bad person irl. It's just a scientific fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Heladys View Post
    The game didn't give me any good reason to hate the horde. Forums did that.

Herald of the Titans
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLoadbearer View Post
    I know, but Quel'thalas wasn't exactly the biggest supporter of the Alliance.

Sure, being the only human to serve Quel'thalas/Lordaeron, especially as a Ranger-Lord, is neat and all, but I can't imagine Sylvanas would care enough about the Alliance-serving deeds implied by Bolvar/Varian in that quest to promote him to Ranger-Lord.

My guess would be that he joined the Farstriders, was super skilled, and helped them out a lot against the Amani, which Sylvanas would very much care about. That would be a surefire way to earn her trust and prove his loyalty both to her and to Quel'thalas, by serving decisively against their most hated enemy.

Not saying service against the orcs during the 2nd War couldn't have had something to do with it, but I doubt Sylvanas would care enough about him killing orcs to promote him for that. Sylvanas was mad at the orcs for killing her family members, but her hatred didn't last forever, as she now works with them. Conversely, she still hates the Amani, or at least she did in WC3. I believe there's a mission with a side-quest where she comes across forest trolls and says "Forest trolls! I hate them even more than those cursed dreadlords. Slaughter them all!" And from her perspective, she'd likely hold the dreadlords just as responsible for Quel'thalas' destruction as she does Arthas. So that's pretty intense hatred.

It's like the Alleria argument. Alleria isn't some paragon of the Alliance, despite Stormwind building a statue of her. She doesn't like humans in general, except those she's formed personal bonds with. And neither is Sylvanas.

I'm just trying to think of things he'd have done specifically for Lordaeron that would merit Bolvar/Varian's praise for him.

Just one (I think, assuming IIRC) point about Nathanos' loyalties. He never was loyal to Quel'thalas. He was loyal to Lorderon at first; but very soon after going to Quel'thalas and meeting Sylvanas; he was hers. He was loyal to her and her alone. Such it was in life, so too is it now in death. Sylvanas was loyal to Quel'thalas and so he was as well but by extension only. He didn't become her champion when she freed the forsaken; in his mind and heart; rotted as though they may be; he is and has always been her champion, the colors flying over the objectives he takes in her name are irrelevant to him.

At least that is what I understood that is.

Quote Originally Posted by AcidicSyn View Post
    Just one (I think, assuming IIRC) point about Nathanos' loyalties. He never was loyal to Quel'thalas. He was loyal to Lorderon at first; but very soon after going to Quel'thalas and meeting Sylvanas; he was hers. He was loyal to her and her alone. Such it was in life, so too is it now in death. Sylvanas was loyal to Quel'thalas and so he was as well but by extension only. He didn't become her champion when she freed the forsaken; in his mind and heart; rotted as though they may be; he is and has always been her champion, the colors flying over the objectives he takes in her name are irrelevant to him.

At least that is what I understood that is.
    I dunno, I don't think she'd promote someone to the highest position anyone in the Farstriders could attain unless she was certain that he was loyal to Quel'thalas in some way.

Sylvanas, like Alleria, is/was fiercely loyal to Quel'thalas and would give anything to protect it. I don't think she'd give someone so much power (possibly 3rd-ranked in all the Farstriders, since Lor'themar was also a ranger-lord, but still Sylvanas' second-in-command, so Nathanos could possibly have been tied with Renthar Hawkspear and other ranger-lords) if she wasn't sure he was trustworthy.

Now that she's a banshee, she's changed, and cares only about loyalty to her, and doesn't require that her subjects be fiercely loyal to the Horde. But she was very different in life, so I think Nathanos may have been at least slightly loyal to Quel'thalas too. Sylvanas wouldn't let him in if he were only there for her. If he were there only because they loved each other or something, she might have let him be a ranger, but definitely not a ranger-lord.