Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Since this issue sounds like it started with a new SSD, have you tried removing the SSD? Given that it's possible for you to boot off another drive. Sounds like an issue between the SSD and motherboard.

15+ Year Old Account
    Funny fact is that I haven't gamed anything today and no freeze.

10+ Year Old Account
    Maybe look into updating the motherboard chipset drivers? Go to Intel's website and download the latest.

15+ Year Old Account
    Update: I realized that the freeze ONLY happens when I'm zoning in WoW.

Deleted
    Buy a new computer

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cryonic View Post
    Update: I realized that the freeze ONLY happens when I'm zoning in WoW.
    I'm having the exact same issues as you, have had them for a while now. It wasn't limited to WoW though, the Battle.net program also locks me up plenty.

Recently I've done a clean install of Win 10, my hardware is in good shape, and the local shop could run a benchmark tool for 24h*6d straight without crashing. Had to re-enable the Xbox-app, make an account and then disable everything in there according to a Blizz rep.

There's one thing I know for sure: when my PC locks up, WoW or battle.net has a hotfix/patch. I'm not allowing Blizzard to update anything automatically anymore, but proper testing is required.

Fuck, shit sucks and I hope this can get fixed... But after months of such specific issues, I'm thinking it's on Blizzard to improve the situation.

I don't read mmo-c frequently, but will try to keep up with this thread.

10+ Year Old Account
    What is the brand and model of the SSD? Maybe there's a firmware update to fix compatibility issues or something?

15+ Year Old Account
    Intel 600p

10+ Year Old Account
    That particular model doesn't show issues for users. My suggestion is to return the drive and pickup another brand, like the Samsung 850 EVO. Whatever the issue is, it isn't your fault. It's probably a faulty SSD or a compatibility issue between the SSD and your motherboard. Return it and exchange it for something else.

15+ Year Old Account
    The problem went away for 10 days so I didn't investigate further but suddenly today it's back again. very wierd.

- - - Updated - - -

Freezing ONLY happens when zoning in WoW

15+ Year Old Account
    I assume speedfan is useless since readings seem very wierd

10+ Year Old Account
    Happen to know what BIOS version you have in that motherboard? According to Asus's website, the Z170-K latest BIOS is Version 2003, released in September of 2016. Looking at some older versions of the BIOS, the descriptions show, "Improve system compatibility", and "Improve system stability". Maybe that's the key to fixing your problem?

https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Z1...Desk_Download/

15+ Year Old Account
    Thanks for you input. Yes I have the latest BIOS

10+ Year Old Account
    Knowing you have a Z170, a number of people are experiencing a similar issue. Next step would be to replace the motherboard and maybe the CPU if that doesn't solve it. Time to RMA the board.

Your problem sounds similar to an issue I helped a friend debug. The system was a new Asus z170 motherboard, Nvidia 970 and M.2 Samsung SSD. The system would lock up under heavy graphics load and very infrequently while just sitting at the desktop.

We used Furmark (thats Furmark, not futurmark) and 3DMark by Futuremark to stress the GPU and induce the problem. Quick test for you to see if you're dealing with the same problem is see if you can cause a lockup with those tools. If so pull the 980 and run the benchmarks using the integrated graphics and see if you can get the system to lockup.

TL;DR
    My friend went through two different working 970s (working as in, they work perfectly fine in other systems with different chipsets) before he figured out it was the graphics card causing the problems. He bought a 1080 sooner than he was expecting to and has had no problems since.

15+ Year Old Account
    Hi Skinner. thanks for your input. I went to download 3D mark but it costs money so I'm not sure if I should get it on my tight budget

10+ Year Old Account
    3Dmark only costs money if you want to do specific tests. Otherwise it's free.

15+ Year Old Account
    I have tried this so far:

Memtest: OK
    3DMark: OK
    Furmark: OK
    BurnInTest: OK

Even combined Furmark and CrystalDiskMark to really pressure GPU and SSD same time. Works fine. All tests works fine even left for many hours.

But then I go back to playing WoW. Can be 1 min or some hours but sooner or later when I zone all freeze up. I noticed the sound can still be heard a few seconds after everything else stops.

10+ Year Old Account
    Is WoW the only game doing this? Are there any other games you play that have this problem? Also, is the SSD the only drive in your PC?
    Last edited by Vash The Stampede; 2016-11-28 at 03:40 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    WoW is the only game I play atm. there is also a regular HDD