Page 12 of 41 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AlarStormbringer View Post
    You say the same about Texas, right? Texas, you know, the state that regularly clamors to leave the U.S.
    regularly? Thats news to me and I live here

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrven View Post
    The electoral college is a disaster. This election just shines the light on it a little longer and brighter.
    No it doesn't. This election shows WHY it is the way it is. Nearly the entire country is red. Should the few states that are so densely populated decide the election for the rest?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Well, it's kinda illegal for one. Second, California really couldn't do much without the other 47 contiguous states.

So just like Texas threatening to secede whenever two guys kiss, it's a bunch of bullshit.
    No it isn't. States retained their rights when they joined the union. Stupid but not illegal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lansworthy
    Deathwing will come and go RAWR RAWR IM A DWAGON
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyCasual View Post
    There's no point in saying this, even if you slap them upside down and inside out with the truth, the tin foil hat brigade will continue to believe the opposite.

Can we please let them?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerus View Post
    No it doesn't. This election shows WHY it is the way it is. Nearly the entire country is red. Should the few states that are so densely populated decide the election for the rest?

- - - Updated - - -

No it isn't. States retained their rights when they joined the union. Stupid but not illegal.
    and lost them when tthe CW happened and they lost.

Also, I have issues with your first statement. Look at Texas. Went red, but about 4 million voters were blue. So really, the entire country isnt red as red can be. They just end up outnumbering the blue by a somewhat decent margin, but I dont think that should be an ok reaosn to dismiss say, 4 million Texans.

Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post

Also, I have issues with your first statement. Look at Texas. Went red, but about 4 million voters were blue. So really, the entire country isnt red as red can be. They just end up outnumbering the blue by a somewhat decent margin, but I dont think that should be an ok reaosn to dismiss say, 4 million Texans.
    They are all so clustered tho. It's nearly all Dallas, Austin, Houston, San Antonio and several southern border counties.so even if you went by county, Texas would still be heavily Red.

You shush with turning Texas purple though
    People working 2 jobs in the US (at least one part-time) - 7.8 Million (Roughly 4.9% of the workforce)

People working 2 full-time jobs in the US - 360,000 (0.2% of the workforce)

Average time worked weekly by the US Workforce - 34.5 hours

Republican voters hate Democrat voters.
    Democrat voters hate Republican voters.

Seems to me you people have two choices

1) Start trying to find some common ground
    2) Drop the "United" from your name...because it clearly does not apply right now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kapadons View Post
    They are all so clustered tho. It's nearly all Dallas, Austin, Houston, San Antonio and several southern border counties.so even if you went by county, Texas would still be heavily Red.

You shush with turning Texas purple though
    King Ranch is like, 3 counties itself and is more cows than people. Then there's entire counties of windfarms. Dem's need their voices heard here too. and rural county representation is already handled at the state level anyways.

and nope! I shall paint the state purple and you cant stop me! We had a greater gain in Dems this election voting than R!

Which is why I'd rather see changes to the electoral college, if anything, to be built more like Maine's system than actually removing the system. Winner take all feels absolutely horrible in elections like this where the margins were so razor thin that entire states were decided than less a percent while making "off party" voters feel like their votes don't matter in certain party dominated states.
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    From my perspective it is an uncle who was is a "simple" slat of the earth person, who has religous beliefs I may or may not fully agree with, but who in the end of the day wants to go hope, kiss his wife, and kids, and enjoy their company.
    Connal defending child molestation

Quote Originally Posted by jimboa24 View Post
    Ah yes, the "if it's old, then it's outdated and therefore MUST be bad" argument. That's about as "valid" of an argument as "if it's new, that MUST mean it's better!"
    There's only one thing Blizzard ever made Garrosh say that was 100% true.

Times change.

Chances are, if something was designed years ago, it's not always going to be applicable to the current time.

15+ Year Old Account
    I think we should just partition the US into Lib Coasts vs. Con Land-locked areas. Half of Alberta+Saskatchewan (Canada's Conservatives) would support Trump too, which is pretty shocking.

Obviously Oceans makes you Liberal.
    Youtube ~ Yvaelle ~ Twitter

Now that Trump is president and brexit is a thing there's no movement or idea too stupid to take seriously.

Electoral college and the gerrymandering of the congressional districts and citizens united all make a mockery of any democratic process though. It's not that surprising people are getting fed up with political gamesmanship dictating politics for the last 8 years, just look at how Republicans blocked a supreme court nomination for no reason, ie didn't do their jobs, and now they get rewarded for it. Trump of all people gets to appoint a Supreme Court judge now.

The Unstoppable Force Theodarzna's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yvaelle View Post
    I think we should just partition the US into Lib Coasts vs. Con Land-locked areas. Half of Alberta+Saskatchewan (Canada's Conservatives) would support Trump too, which is pretty shocking.

Disenfranchising voters and simply trying to avoid negotiating with different people is a telling that Liberals haven't learned a damn thing from this beat down they just got.
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

Quote Originally Posted by Mihalik View Post
    Technically speaking if votes would be distributed proportionately California should get 65+ votes or something.

Also if you voted for Trump...you should be ashamed of yourself.
    But that's not the point of the electoral college. The point is to lessen the disadvantage that smaller less populated states have so that more populated states don't just drown them out in the election. Besides that though, if you work out the math then you'll see that the larger states don't actually lose any voting power in the electoral college system in that it would take the top 11 most populated voting districts to gain a majority popular vote, and the number of electoral votes that those states have sums up to exactly 270 (the exact number needed to win the election), so overall they're not really losing any voting power, but it's narrowing the gap in power so that those 11 out of the 51 voting districts don't just decide everything.

10+ Year Old Account
    Considering the fact that there are 2 counties where Democrats won by margins of over 1 million votes I'm not sure why expect the rest of the country to roll over for a 200k vote difference.

Just looked at the NYT margin page and Clinton won 16 counties (including DC) by margins greater than the 230k popular vote margin.
    Last edited by Tierbook; 2016-11-10 at 06:03 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    I'd never compare him to Hitler, Hitler was actually well educated, and by all accounts pretty intelligent.

Quote Originally Posted by Cerus View Post
    Should the few states that are so densely populated decide the election for the rest?
    If you want a democracy governing the USA, then the majority of voters should decide who wins the election. If you don't want a democracy governing the USA, then it's fine the way it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Yvaelle View Post

Oceans enable international trade which is something conservatives hate. Oceans allow for a more multicultural environment as well

Quote Originally Posted by Wyrt View Post
    Oceans enable international trade which is something conservatives hate. Oceans allow for a more multicultural environment as well
    Like New York for example, with Ellis Island.

Immigrants came here first, and then just stayed or spread out close nearby.

Quote Originally Posted by Mihalik View Post
    Wut?

https://www.bloomberg.com/view/artic...-economy-great

California's economy briefly struggled while under Republican control. It's MORE than fine now. Texas...Texas is essentially a resource economy combined with heavy federal investments. It helps that it is business friendly, but by ABSOLUTELY NO MEANS IS IT BETTER THAN CALIFORNIA.
    California is a weird place. Highest state income tax. Yet it is the State with the highest numbers of billionaires. Highest corporate tax. How come all the companies keep opening headquarters here. By far the most insane environmental regulations (CEQA) in the U.S. However manufacturing is thriving here. Six years of drought with no end in sight. Still manage to be the number one agricultural state in the US plus several top award winning wine producing regions.

Quote Originally Posted by Kcin14 View Post
    Can we please let them?
    No. We're all in this shit together, for better or worse.

We fought a bloody, vicious war over this exact issue. It's done.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    There's only one thing Blizzard ever made Garrosh say that was 100% true.

Times change.

Chances are, if something was designed years ago, it's not always going to be applicable to the current time.
    That's why the Constitution allows for Amendments. It was designed to be able to be changed to fit the times, and if you have a blueprint for a specific form of government that you think is "newer" and "better" than the representative democracy laid out by "those dead old white guys" in the Constitution, I challenge you to post it here and present it for us and show why it's better.