Page 13 of 41 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerus View Post
    No it doesn't. This election shows WHY it is the way it is. Nearly the entire country is red. Should the few states that are so densely populated decide the election for the rest?
    Where you live shouldn't factor in to how much your vote is worth, but that's exactly what happens. The worst issue with the EC is the winner-take-all approach used in most states.

#californada

Quote Originally Posted by HomeHoney View Post
    If you want a democracy governing the USA, then the majority of voters should decide who wins the election. If you don't want a democracy governing the USA, then it's fine the way it is.
    The problem is that under a raw popular vote, small states lose their voice entirely.

Which is why I'd rather see a mix of the current and popular vote with something akin to Maine. That way everyone has a voice and everyone's vote counts while still giving representation to the small states. It may not alter the election but it would likely increase turnout and cut down on voter apathy. Elections like this year's just discourage future voters. Millions of votes were tossed aside because of winner take all over less then 1% voting margins.

Break out the fucking decimal points if we have to and let's start giving everyone's vote some power.
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    From my perspective it is an uncle who was is a "simple" slat of the earth person, who has religous beliefs I may or may not fully agree with, but who in the end of the day wants to go hope, kiss his wife, and kids, and enjoy their company.
    Connal defending child molestation

Quote Originally Posted by jimboa24 View Post
    That's why the Constitution allows for Amendments. It was designed to be able to be changed to fit the times, and if you have a blueprint for a specific form of government that you think is "newer" and "better" than the representative democracy laid out by "those dead old white guys" in the Constitution, I challenge you to post it here and present it for us and show why it's better.
    You're injecting a lot of things I didn't say, like nothing about me having a better plan, nor anything about skin color.

You don't need to have a better plan to point out how a current one isn't that great.

Quote Originally Posted by Vlaid View Post
    Now that Trump is president and brexit is a thing there's no movement or idea too stupid to take seriously.

Electoral college and the gerrymandering of the congressional districts and citizens united all make a mockery of any democratic process though. It's not that surprising people are getting fed up with political gamesmanship dictating politics for the last 8 years, just look at how Republicans blocked a supreme court nomination for no reason, ie didn't do their jobs, and now they get rewarded for it. Trump of all people gets to appoint a Supreme Court judge now.
    I'm not a republican, but you're dead wrong when you say that the Republican led congress didn't do their job by not appointing a new supreme court justice. They did by using the powers legally vested in them by the constitution and acted in what they believed to be the interests of their constituents. On top of that, the democrats did the same thing in 2007 when they refused to vote on any of Bush's nominees and I don't fault them for that either because they were also acting in the best interests of their constituents.

Quote Originally Posted by Kcin14 View Post
    Can we please let them?
    To what end? You believe that California's economic capacity is somehow beneficial if it's removed from the other 49 states? Saying 'good riddance' is just as silly as the folks who ask for secession in the first place (oh hi Texas, every 6 months or so). It's fairy tale saber rattling from a loud, extremely tiny minority, and nothing more.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullettime View Post
    under a raw popular vote, small states lose their voice entirely.
    Each individual vote would count in a raw (democracy) vote, thereby no one loosing their voice. And no one is voting for a state official, they are voting for a USA president. In that vote, no one should be looking at what is good for their state, they should be looking at what is good for their country.
    Last edited by Total Crica; 2016-11-10 at 06:14 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Tell them about it. We do them the service of contributing the single largest chunk of the nation's GDP, making the rest of the country's technology, medicine, and media, and what's the thanks we get? This Orangutan in a suit as president?
    Welcome to a Republic Democracy, Where the uninformed Majority cannot bully the minority. Or do you agree in that?

Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    You're injecting a lot of things I didn't say, like nothing about me having a better plan, nor anything about skin color.

You don't need to have a better plan to point out how a current one isn't that great.
    What was it that Churchill said? Something about democracy being the worst form of government in the world, except for all the others? That is true about our particular brand of it, in my opinion.

Anemo: traveler, Sucrose
    Pyro: Yanfei, Amber, diluc, xiangling, thoma, Xinyan, Bennett
    Geo: Noelle, Ningguang, Yun Jin, Gorou
    Hydro: Barbara, Zingqiu, Ayato
    Cyro: Shenhe, Kaeya, Chongyun, Diona, Ayaka, Rosaria
    Electro: Fischl, Lisa, Miko, Kujou, Raiden, Razor

Well, this is what we get for letting retards vote. Seriously, 67% of white female and male voters who voted Trump did not have a college education.

Let California leave. I don't blame them. I don't care what happens; I'm ready to watch this motherfucker burn.

Quote Originally Posted by Keeper Zanjin View Post
    Yes, and both are fighting for control every presidential election.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vargas View Post
    Well, this is what we get for letting retards vote. Seriously, 67% of white female and male voters who voted Trump did not have a college education.

Let California leave. I don't blame them. I don't care what happens; I'm ready to watch this motherfucker burn.
    Did you ever think it was because of this constant bashing of people that Trump won?

You're constantly smashing down on the working class, calling them retarded and uneducated. I thought Democrats were supposed to be the Working class party?

Wouldn't the naming convention for retarded seperation movements dictate that this thing should be called calxit or at least calixit?
    But then the last 2 all had Es.. hmm. I guess it works.
    Last edited by Cosmic Janitor; 2016-11-10 at 06:25 AM.

Such a wonderful dream. Let California start digging oil and spend all that tax money on California. Agriculture, science and technology, entertainment and likely even energy..

Quote Originally Posted by Mad_Murdock View Post
    They are more than welcome in trying to leave. I don't hate Cali, actually like the place. Most of Cali seems to be ultra liberal and it's probably a real drag being tied to a less than ultra liberal nation.

I don't think they will be as well off as they think they will, Especially if Trump enacts the 35% tariff. But more power to them succeeding.

Let's give them 70! Hillary still loses.
    California carries the majority of the rest of the country on its back, other than NY, Texas, and (maybe) a couple other self sustaining states, and is the only state that could obviously be completely not just fully self sustaining, but highly profitable as its own country. However, the rest of the US is far too reliant on California to stand for a secession so it's not likely anything could possibly come to fruition from this.

10+ Year Old Account
    Move and let us leave. Build a wall around us too.
    Quote Originally Posted by A Chozo View Post
    Humans Paladins don't have "a lot of lore" behind them.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by fiestatastic View Post
    California carries the majority of the rest of the country on its back, other than NY, Texas, and (maybe) a couple other self sustaining states, and is the only state that could obviously be completely not just fully self sustaining, but highly profitable as its own country. However, the rest of the US is far too reliant on California to stand for a secession so it's not likely anything could possibly come to fruition from this.
    Not really. The Reality of California is it's propped up. It's a tax haven for American businesses and an artificial fruit bowl area. California is already having issues with Water supplies because alot of Farmers have moved their stock to Almonds and Kiwi Fruit that demand ALOT more Water than Naturally permeable in California.

Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post

Yeah, but what you're criticizing about the electoral college is a feature of the system, not a flaw. The whole point of the system is to make it so smaller states don't have as much of a disadvantage against bigger states thus ensuring that their interests and votes are represented in the result. The problem is that a national popular vote isn't in its own bubble, it's made up of hundreds or thousands of different bubbles or sections of American culture that are vastly different from each other. In the case of a straight popular vote, whichever party that controls California would get a significant advantage because at a certain point areas with a high level of political homogeneity can sustain themselves as bastions for that particular party. This is the reason why swing states are seen as exceptional because the majority of states can reliably be counted on to vote a certain way no matter what. The point is that if you have a problem with the electoral college reducing the relative voting power of larger states by increasing the voting power of smaller states then in order to solve that someone would have to come up with a system that avoids the tyranny of the majority like the electoral college does while also not reducing the relative voting power of the larger states which is pretty much impossible.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Boomzy View Post
    If Republicans had done this shit when Obama had won Liberals would be laughing at them calling them children, and rightfully so.

Trump won, instead of bitching about it try thinking of why he won and how to stop it from happening next time.

And no, he didn't win cuz "Muh racism"

50% voters aren't racist, sexist, xenophobic assholes. Thinking that they are is something you would do if you lived in a bubble.
    Trump won 33% of the Cuban vote in Floria, highest of any Republican candidate. Also, despite 80% of the black vote going democrat, guess it means ALL livs matter politically.