Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    There is a very good reason this exists so you can't call them salary and overwork them to death for slightly over minimum wage.

It's a win win for employees so unless you are an employer you are only hurting yourself.
    It's win-lose. A large reason for this is due to post-doctoral employees. They basically get to work 60+ hour weeks for pay that is not proportional to their training. Now, their wages will increase to a slightly more reasonable amount as a salaried employee in order to avoid paying them absurd amounts of OT. Looks good right? Until you figure that there will be a huge drop in post-doctoral positions available. So those that have a position, great. Those are are looking, or will be looking (like myself in ~1 year), good luck finding anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Kantalope View Post
    It's win-lose. A large reason for this is due to post-doctoral employees. They basically get to work 60+ hour weeks for pay that is not proportional to their training. Now, their wages will increase to a slightly more reasonable amount as a salaried employee in order to avoid paying them absurd amounts of OT. Looks good right? Until you figure that there will be a huge drop in post-doctoral positions available. So those that have a position, great. Those are are looking, or will be looking (like myself in ~1 year), good luck finding anything.
    Almost zero of the positions affected are post doctoral.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    Almost zero of the positions affected are post doctoral.
    But almost every post-doctoral position is affected. If you're unaware, after earning your Ph.D. you typically work as a postdoc for 1-3 years before you're allowed to get a real job, earning barely more than a graduate student stipend. The chart does not break this down, as advanced degree would include masters and people past the post-doc stage in their career.

Talking about over time, here is an extreme example.

http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/articl...y-10484502.php

Actually, this is not all uncommon in public work and for certain civic servants (police, firefighter, technician, mechanic, etc.).

its the only way he will get all those jobs back into this country.

he has to cut wages down to like 3 or 4 dollars an hour, with no benefits and very few environmental laws.

oh and child labor...bring that back too

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Knadra View Post
    I hope he does, I'd like him a little more.

Despite liberals screaming that nothing about Trump is good for them, Trump has no real plans to mess with social security, medicare or medicaid or basically anything entitlements besides the ACA.
    To be fair, Trump has no real plans to do anything. He published very little proposed policy prior to the election. The House and Senate Republicans, however, have LOTS of plans and Trump will probably rubber stamp everything they do.

Do you really think Republicans want to pay you overtime?

Despite liberals screaming that nothing about Trump is good for them, Trump has no real plans to mess with social security, medicare or medicaid or basically anything entitlements besides the ACA.
    No, but the GOP under Ryan does and there's little reason to think that Trump will do anything other than rubberstamp them on issues he doesn't understand.

7+ Year Old Account
    n/t

{10char}
    Last edited by callipygoustp; 2016-11-10 at 01:59 AM.

7+ Year Old Account
    I'm ok with a private employer and employee agreeing to a wage without the government interfering and setting rules.
    Agreeing to a salary based on a 40-hour work week is fine as long as the employee only has to work 40 hours. An employer should not be able to force an employee to work more than 40 hours period, much less without them even being paid for those extra hours.

No one regardless of what wing they are should trust businesses to pay people appropriately on their own.
    The Fresh Prince of Baudelaire

Banned at least 10 times. Don't give a fuck, going to keep saying what I want how I want to.

Eat meat. Drink water. Do cardio and burpees. The good life.

I'm ok with a private employer and employee agreeing to a wage without the government interfering and setting rules.
    Sounds like exploitation. Which is what the government should be protecting the people and environment from ideally.

I'm sure all those working class voters who voted for Trump to Make America Great Again can't wait to lose their overtime entitlement.

Darwinism in action?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Rasulis View Post
    Talking about over time, here is an extreme example.

http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/articl...y-10484502.php

Actually, this is not all uncommon in public work and for certain civic servants (police, firefighter, technician, mechanic, etc.).
    Worked 4,000 hours in a year to get that. Compared to the usual 40-hour week around 2,000. And this is manual labour we're talking about.

He fucking earned that money.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by cocoapuffs View Post
    https://www.dol.gov/featured/overtime

what would it take to get this overturned, and would trumpy do it?
    Yeah let's not let people who work get compensated for their labor. If you work overtime, you should be paid for it. If a company doesn't want to pay for overtime, but needs the work done, they should hire another person to do it. You know create jobs. Isn't that what people voted for? (Even though they voted for the wrong person to do it)

And you idiots actually thought he was on the side of workers.

All of us are getting what's coming to us. We did this to ourselves.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

Quote Originally Posted by Prokne View Post
    Yeah let's not let people who work get compensated for their labor. If you work overtime, you should be paid for it. If a company doesn't want to pay for overtime, but needs the work done, they should hire another person to do it. You know create jobs. Isn't that what people voted for? (Even though they voted for the wrong person to do it)
    for those this affects, its an anstra 8-10k a year

Deleted

Lies. He clearly stated he was "gonna make it great again".

7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.

So we shouldn't pay low-wage workers for overtime? You do realize that over-turning this would validate "liberals screaming"?

Trump claims that he had no plans to mess with social security, medicare or medicaid, but his tax / spending plan is unworkable if he doesn't touch those (i.e. he can't ramp up infrastructure and military spending while cutting taxes and not touching most entitlements). He has no choice but to cut entitlements unless he raises taxes. Either way, he has go back on at least one of his promises.

In other words, look at the forest, don't stare at individual trees.