Page 9 of 21 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    We also switched from VT to Discord. Great software, but I have realy strange issues with it, that I can't fix, sometime people in discord hear me like robot, hope they will fix it sometime.

We've been using Mumble for quite a while now, no plans on changing.

tbh being able to normalize people's volume/output individually is one of the best things about ventrilo; the automated normalization in mumble/TS3 are fine for the most part, but when you get the one rare guy who's super loud/quiet/whatever it's nice to be able to control that manually

The Lightbringer Archmage Alodi's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    We are not abandoning our TS server.
    THE HORDE WILL ENDURE
    THE HORDE IS STRONG!

10+ Year Old Account
    Changing from a reliable server to something new is never a good bet. I would never merely swap and cancel the old reliable server till i had a good test run.

Discord is new and have no real experience with it, plenty still seem to use TS3. Vent, mumble and god forbid skype seem all worse alternatives.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheze View Post
    the automated normalization in mumble/TS3 are fine for the most part, but when you get the one rare guy who's super loud/quiet/whatever it's nice to be able to control that manually
    TS has that.

Binds are our biggest hold from doing a full switch. We use discord as a guild chat program, but we won't use it for voice until binds are added at the earliest.

Deleted
    We have switched from mumble to Discord just before HFC launch and are very satisfied with the change. One of the most amazing plusses is definitely the build in IRC chat + great phone app.

As a non-raider who has no real business even posting in this topic, I'm curious of some things:

Why is there such a hate on for Skype? I haven't used it much for WoW outside of Arena with my friend, but I have used it for multiplayer in many other games with friends. Granted, I haven't used it in about a year and a half, but when I did, the big thing for me was that the sound quality was awesome.

Now, I DO remember people back in the day complaining about it having a large processing footprint, but I don't see why that'd be an issue on modern PC's.

Vent is another one I've used when I played with a friend's friend who had an active guild back when and it was AWFUL. The sound quality was downright garbage, beyond garbage, actually, and it's interface was the barest of bare bones. However, again, that was in like... 2009 or 2010, I think?

Quote Originally Posted by Otiswhitaker View Post
    As a non-raider who has no real business even posting in this topic, I'm curious of some things:

Why is there such a hate on for Skype? I haven't used it much for WoW outside of Arena with my friend, but I have used it for multiplayer in many other games with friends. Granted, I haven't used it in about a year and a half, but when I did, the big thing for me was that the sound quality was awesome.

Now, I DO remember people back in the day complaining about it having a large processing footprint, but I don't see why that'd be an issue on modern PC's.

Vent is another one I've used when I played with a friend's friend who had an active guild back when and it was AWFUL. The sound quality was downright garbage, beyond garbage, actually, and it's interface was the barest of bare bones. However, again, that was in like... 2009 or 2010, I think?
    Doesn't help there's a plethra of ways to look up one's IP address for DDoSing if they have username.
    Plus for multiple people, it ususaly helps to have some sort of push to talk or a reliable voice detection aspect so you don't have 20 people talking at once.

So giving Discord another go since this thread popped up with mostly praises for the app;

Still an issue with Voice attenuation...

Works fine in the sense that it turns down music when people speak - but the quality of peoples voice is non existent, can't hear them at all, fine if i disable voice attenuation - Anyone experiencing this?

We checked Discord out a couple of months ago, and while it seems to offer some nice features, ultimately we had to return to TS.

Far too many of our members had trouble getting mic and speaker working. I'm not talking about technically challenged people, I'm talking about people who build their own rigs. In many cases, those issues couldn't be solved despite over a week of trying.

Additionally, Discord seemed to have a significant robo-voice issue (at least when we were testing it, including during a live raid). Since you can't choose hosts, that's a killer for us right there.

As for minor things, one thing I missed was the lack of self-attenuation. I prefer my game sounds to be lowered while I'm speaking, too, but at the time we tested they didn't offer that feature.

In general I think Discord looks like a great vision, but until the robo-voice issue and the issue where many people just can't talk and/or hear is solved, it's not a viable solution for us.

Priority speaker is the dumbest fucking shit ever.
    Who the fuck is to say who might have something more important to say than the other?
    Some people don't have PPT enabled, and if they have PS it will fuck everyone else over.

Already used Discord since the start of Legion. A couple of people have had issues now and again but on the whole it has been very stable. The chat room is a nice bonus as well especially as some people will not/cannot speak or just to leave funny pics!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by brunnor View Post
    Binds are our biggest hold from doing a full switch. We use discord as a guild chat program, but we won't use it for voice until binds are added at the earliest.
    Binds? As in push to talk or? Ah so a tank/healer channel etc? We're not that advanced to use them!
    Last edited by SpikeySquad; 2016-11-10 at 11:13 AM.

Pretty sure my guild is sticking with Mumble. We've never had a problem with it and it works perfectly fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny McCormick View Post
    We are not abandoning our TS server.
    The last holdout of the old guard. I felt we had no reason to move from TS until I tried Discord and realised how far things had come. Discord is free, you have no reason not to give it a try and see why it has become so popular, probably save you money too since you're probably paying for that TS server. The only criticism I see are people who liked having private lines to certain groups/individuals within groups, on a separate bind, which Discord doesn't have.

In general I think Discord looks like a great vision, but until the robo-voice issue and the issue where many people just can't talk and/or hear is solved, it's not a viable solution for us.
    Think I've experienced Robo Voice once since using it, that was around the launch of Legion and I'm guessing something to do with overloaded servers.. It was only me though, I was the only one who had Robo Voice. We switched server region and then switched it back and it was fixed.

Has been months since then and not a single hiccup, regularly used by up to 30 people.
    Last edited by Bigbazz; 2016-11-10 at 12:17 PM.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

We switched to Discord and it works well for us.

"I Am Vengeance. I Am The Night. I Am Felfáádaern!"

Nope why should we?

Deleted
    why downgrade from TS ?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Otiswhitaker View Post
    Why is there such a hate on for Skype?
    Skype CAN be awesome, for smaller groups, but not in a raid-setting. Imagine this:

A and B talk together. B has some background noice, but A is fine with that.
    A, B and C talk, B and C has background noice, but A can deal with it.
    A, B, C, D and E talk, they're out doing a dungeon. B and C still has some background noice, but D has his speakers on (no headset) and E got his kids yelling at each other. A is about to explode because he can hear EVERYTHING going on EVERYWHERE, except the game...

Now imagine the insane amount of ANY kind of background noice that will constantly be flowing from almost all participants in a raid-environment. Without Push To Talk, there is no way to turn it off, unless you mute the offenders. Which kinda negates the whole idea of a voicechat. With a proper voicechat program, and by proper I mean one that does have PTT, you only have to hear the background noice from whoever is talking, WHEN they are talking.

And that's why Skype sucks for this kind of stuff but is totally awesome for smaller groups.