Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account

Fel Rush connection exploit?

Here on vacation at a hotel, I fired up my toaster to play some wow. The connection here is really spotty. Meaning that it's not consistently slow but seems to have bandwidth spikes line every 10 seconds. Causes little micro stalls in gameplay but doesn't badly affect gameplay.

I've noticed that about 90% of the time when I fel rush, my character doesn't move, or moves like 2 yards and I gain Momentum. It's actually really nice lol. Anyone ever experience this? Should I buy a pet rat to gnaw on my cables at home?

That's what happens when you try to add new stuff to a jurassic game engine that was not made to support it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nezia View Post
    That's what happens when you try to add new stuff to a jurassic game engine that was not made to support it.
    what the fuck are you talking about. The OP has a shitty pc laptop and even shittier net. I think you meant that this is what happens when you add a new stuff that your hardware/net can't handle. Blizzard engine is perfectly good. Don't bash things you don't understand or at least try to comprehend what OP is trying to say before you regurgitate your thoughts.

Deleted
    Can confirm OP with my middle aged desktop and times when roommates are active in the WiFi

On another not, but related to Fel rush. Anyone notice they get DC'd alot in RBGs while using Fel rush?

Deleted
    Well in my exp. it's alot different.

When i get lags spikes, if it happens etc - it's like fel rush doesn't stop before connection is good again.
    I've been flying for like 10x Fel rushs lenght on one charge.

Sometimes its nice, other times its annoying as hell.

Let's take the room of HoV as an example, with the tables and beers, i have experienced flying through the whole god damn room, while it was uncleared, because it bugged out.

imagine that in warsong XD cross the whole map in 1 FR.
    fastest flag cap ever

Quote Originally Posted by MrHappy View Post
    what the fuck are you talking about. The OP has a shitty pc laptop and even shittier net. I think you meant that this is what happens when you add a new stuff that your hardware/net can't handle. Blizzard engine is perfectly good. Don't bash things you don't understand or at least try to comprehend what OP is trying to say before you regurgitate your thoughts.
    So because he has a 'shitty' machine a skill won't work how it should work? Pls, share some of your great knowledge with the rest of us and tell where in the world of games a skill has a different effect because you have lag. I will be waiting. btw
    Blizzard engine is perfectly good.
    I should not even have wasted the time answering you.

So because he has a 'shitty' machine a skill won't work how it should work? Pls, share some of your great knowledge with the rest of us and tell where in the world of games a skill has a different effect because you have lag. I will be waiting. btw

I should not even have wasted the time answering you.
    The effect isn't different, it's technically the same. I'm not 100% sure about it, but it looks like to be like that:
    When you use an ability you somewhat start a request to the server to use said ability, and the server response with "yes, do it!", but the server also tells you when this ability is over.
    Movement itself is handled by the client (otherwise it would be impossible to move while lag), while abilities are handled by the server. Fel Rush and roll from monks just increase your movement speed and prevents you from changing directions for a very short time.
    If you have a lag in a specific manner, the server gets your request and responses to it, but the response never reaches you and your client never gets the command to increase your movement speed, but the server thinks you did. So the movement speed increase is shorter or longer (every length is possible, from none to infinite) on your side, but always the same on the servers side

All problems you experience with Fel Rush aren't new neither they're exclusive to this ability, and they are problems based on how the game was built 12 years ago (if this were never changed in that time, not sure about that)

It probably isn't even a bug, it's more like a design problem. But I guess changing that would cause much much bigger problems

Quote Originally Posted by Ribesal View Post
    The effect isn't different, it's technically the same. I'm not 100% sure about it, but it looks like to be like that:
    When you use an ability you somewhat start a request to the server to use said ability, and the server response with "yes, do it!", but the server also tells you when this ability is over.
    Movement itself is handled by the client (otherwise it would be impossible to move while lag), while abilities are handled by the server. Fel Rush and roll from monks just increase your movement speed and prevents you from changing directions for a very short time.
    If you have a lag in a specific manner, the server gets your request and responses to it, but the response never reaches you and your client never gets the command to increase your movement speed, but the server thinks you did. So the movement speed increase is shorter or longer (every length is possible, from none to infinite) on your side, but always the same on the servers side

All problems you experience with Fel Rush aren't new neither they're exclusive to this ability, and they are problems based on how the game was built 12 years ago (if this were never changed in that time, not sure about that)

It probably isn't even a bug, it's more like a design problem. But I guess changing that would cause much much bigger problems
    Yep, this is probably exactly what happens. The point is the game was not designed to support such skills, it's engine is outdated, and making a new game would probably be easier than trying to change an already existing engine.

10+ Year Old Account
    sigh you DO understand that the engine from 10 years ago is but a shadow of what it can do now? Netcode and game engine are not the same fucking things. Let me dumb it down for you.

When your net connection is shitty you will experience delay and packet loss. With me so far? Try to keep up.
    So you mash the fel rush button. Your shitty net then send that to the bnet server which responds by move x distance and gain y buff.
    your lag, jitter, and packet loss due to a spotty connection receives gain buff and misses the fel rush move x distance. Not to mention if you pay close attention the NPC HP pool and your HP pool are also very erratic so when you finally get the correct update more than 20% difference can occur in a split second.

This will happen with any game because the game engine is responsible for rendering world and executing instructions the netcode is what delivers it all. Game runs on UDP not TCP so if things go missing due to shitty net bnet can't tell if something is amiss

Maybe the problem is that you are playing on a 5/1 connection which was not even optimized to be stable because no one experiences this on non-pesant connections. if you have a problem with this then bring a console with you.

Quote Originally Posted by Insomlol View Post
    On another not, but related to Fel rush. Anyone notice they get DC'd alot in RBGs while using Fel rush?
    I get dc'd a lot period when I fel rush, thankfully not in dungeons. Mostly outdoors and in BGs. Something to do with fel rushing over/on certain objects that the servers can't handle

sigh you DO understand that the engine from 10 years ago is but a shadow of what it can do now? Netcode and game engine are not the same fucking things. Let me dumb it down for you.

When your net connection is shitty you will experience delay and packet loss. With me so far? Try to keep up.
    So you mash the fel rush button. Your shitty net then send that to the bnet server which responds by move x distance and gain y buff.
    your lag, jitter, and packet loss due to a spotty connection receives gain buff and misses the fel rush move x distance. Not to mention if you pay close attention the NPC HP pool and your HP pool are also very erratic so when you finally get the correct update more than 20% difference can occur in a split second.

This will happen with any game because the game engine is responsible for rendering world and executing instructions the netcode is what delivers it all. Game runs on UDP not TCP so if things go missing due to shitty net bnet can't tell if something is amiss

Maybe the problem is that you are playing on a 5/1 connection which was not even optimized to be stable because no one experiences this on non-pesant connections. if you have a problem with this then bring a console with you.
    Oh man... I really should not have answered you the first time, like at this amount of bs.

Anyway, I will not botter to tell you about how terrible this design is in order to not feed the fanboy even more.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh man... I really should not have answered you the first time, like at this amount of bs.

Anyway, I will not botter to tell you about how terrible this design is in order to not feed the fanboy even more.
    well they do say ignorance is bliss. Stay happy

Yeah this happened to me on beta servers during stress testing. Not on live servers though.

- - - Updated - - -

Sometimes you will fel rush half way across the world, so it works both ways.

Herald of the Titans Orangetai420's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    well they do say ignorance is bliss. Stay happy
    Just wanted to say that you managed to explain that with more civility than I can muster on these boards.

You can lead a horse to water and all that...
    MMO-C, home of the worst community on the internet.