Page 29 of 41 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    We have developed means of conveyance with more wheels, fewer wheels, powered by electricity, and can break the speed of sound.

Yeah, things have changed in efficiency since the model A. That's how technology works.
    Yet the average car sold today is exactly as I described.

MPG of a model A: 20-30
    MPG of average US vehicle: 25.5

There comes a time when physics dictates things.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's a form of democracy that's unnecessary in this day and age.

It's completely hypocritical for people to defend it simply because the guy they happened to support managed to weasel his way in because of it. If Obama had won against Romney or McCain because of the electoral college but lost the popular vote, people would have been fuming all the same.

The only difference is Obama won both. So we can go back to George Bush skirting by with the minority of the vote and what a shitshow he subsequently turned out to be.

People are supposed to learn from history, not ignore it. I know that's not in the republican's interests these days, but it should be a good indicator of the stupidity to come.

- - - Updated - - -

Except that's idiotic. You're still pretending like those people in those states would only vote one way. Delegates are allotted by population anyway, it just so happens that Texas and California, respectively, have entrenched political views. The Electoral college is just a removal from the people's will that is unnecessary in this day and age.

Except as it stands now, 49.999% of the people just subjected 50.0001% of the people to an orangutan in a suit as president.

Go on and expound to me how that's more "fair."

IF someone went to those citys and said NO taxes in a METRO area or everyone in that metro area gets 1000 dollar check each week and free collage and rest of the country has got to pay for it they will vote that way and they will vote for you.
    If they had it that way there would be a real civil war instead of crying like they are now.

That is why the founding fathers are smarter than most people still today.

And it is fair because it is not MoB rule. Do you want to go back to Black people being slaves because they are only 13% of the population boy LoL
    Last edited by Starscream101; 2016-11-11 at 05:35 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's a form of democracy that's unnecessary in this day and age.

It's completely hypocritical for people to defend it simply because the guy they happened to support managed to weasel his way in because of it. If Obama had won against Romney or McCain because of the electoral college but lost the popular vote, people would have been fuming all the same.

The only difference is Obama won both. So we can go back to George Bush skirting by with the minority of the vote and what a shitshow he subsequently turned out to be.

People are supposed to learn from history, not ignore it. I know that's not in the republican's interests these days, but it should be a good indicator of the stupidity to come.

- - - Updated - - -

Except that's idiotic. You're still pretending like those people in those states would only vote one way. Delegates are allotted by population anyway, it just so happens that Texas and California, respectively, have entrenched political views. The Electoral college is just a removal from the people's will that is unnecessary in this day and age.

Except as it stands now, 49.999% of the people just subjected 50.0001% of the people to an orangutan in a suit as president.

I defend it because it is the law of the land.

Actually, less than 49% voted for either candidate. So no matter who won, they would not have the backing of the majority of the country.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by callipygoustp View Post
    Where did you get the 43 million acre-feet value from? I'm not seeing it in the various wikis or California Water Plan related web sites I've read (granted, I am doing a bit of skimming).

What I did find was the following :

Source : understanding water use in California and the Sacramento valley
    "Applied water" includes uses such as environmental (you cant use 100% of a river's water, wetlands need water, etc).

http://www.water.ca.gov/waterplan/do...ater_Today.pdf:Groundwater comprises 38% of all water used in California, totaling more than 16 million acre-feet.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by obeythelight View Post
    The whole point of the Senate is to give every state 2 Senators. It's called a bicameral house. You guys get 53 seats in the House based on the population.
    Bicameral, love that word. Three semesters of Latin and all it was really good for is breaking down words to their roots.

Anyway, why are you bothering to explain the basics of the Senate? Nothing in my post implied that I did not understand Congress or either one of its camerae

Re-read my post: Given the the estimated population of a low population state like Wyoming, 586,107, each Wyoming senator represents ~290k people. Given the estimated population of California, 39,144,818, each CA Senator represents ~20million people. I get that the House is supposed to represent population and the Senate is there to provide some balance outside of over whelming influence due to heavy population centers but the ratio difference between a high population state and a low population state.... that's pretty fucking dramatic. Which is why in my post that you quoted, I mentioned breaking up the state so that the large population of California could be better represented in the Senate.

The idea of breaking up the state, like the thought of #CalExit, is ridiculous of course. So, when replying, please keep that in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Kellhound View Post
    They are not nearly independent on water, it was not long ago they were looking to tap into the Columbia River for more.

US trade could adapt to not having Cal ports. The west would still have Portland and SeaTac and a large amount could go through the Canal.

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry, but the theoretical minimum of electricity required is 1000kW/h per acre-foot with 2000 being seen as the practical future limit.

Hmm... 4 wheels, liquid cooled gas powered engine in front, left hand drive..... Yeah our cars mostly do look like that.
    They are nearly independent on water. Most of the water table is exclusive to the state itself, so they don't have to actually worry about dams upstream. They also have the ability to desalinate. And although it's not cheap, it's an option.

And yes, the Panama Canal would have to be the main focus, at least until Seattle can have better infrastructure to go East. As it stands, they tend to push south with what things they do get. California covers both the I-10 and I-80 corridors for travel and transport.

Not quite true (yes i know you're just using an example) As it stands now 25.5% subjected the 74.5% to the current President. It's why actually going out to vote matters

Quote Originally Posted by Mihalik View Post
    The microsecond that happens, the US economy will implode on a scale never seen in since the Fall of Rome.
    Bullshit. There may be a market correction, but the US has the single largest consumer market in the fucking world. If companies want to grow, they MUST do business in the US.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    They are nearly independent on water. Most of the water table is exclusive to the state itself, so they don't have to actually worry about dams upstream. They also have the ability to desalinate. And although it's not cheap, it's an option.

And yes, the Panama Canal would have to be the main focus, at least until Seattle can have better infrastructure to go East. As it stands, they tend to push south with what things they do get. California covers both the I-10 and I-80 corridors for travel and transport.
    Cali is using more ground water than is being restored on top of importing 10% of it. I have already pointed out the reasons desalination isnt a viable options.

Seattle has room for expansion.

Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    The funny thing about all of it, is that California would be a relatively strong nation on its own. It has a huge economy, people are used to high taxes, and is a net producer in regards to federal tax revenue. They are nearly independent when it comes to the water table, so they hold a fair amount of independence. They also have most of the strategic Pacific ports, meaning a large chunk of the American trade would have to go through them. People mock California for being a liberal bastion of stupidity, and I don't blame them. However, the United States needs California far more than California needs them.
    California has no military so trying to secede with a US government that will fight to keep the union together is suicide. It's all BS with no chance of happening. If you think it's going to be peaceful then go join the idiots so the IQ of the nation rises a few points after all of you die.

Quote Originally Posted by Barnabas View Post
    California has no military so trying to secede with a US government that will fight to keep the union together is suicide. It's all BS with no chance of happening. If you think it's going to be peaceful then go join the idiots so the IQ of the nation rises a few points after all of you die.
    I never said it would happen, but California could easily be its own country. It's needs the United States less than the U.S. needs it.

- - - Updated - - -

Cali is using more ground water than is being restored on top of importing 10% of it. I have already pointed out the reasons desalination isnt a viable options.

Seattle has room for expansion.
    They can also cut back water, harvest more efficient crops (get rid of many of the nut trees), and desalinate water. Not only that, a lot of the rural folks would leave the state, making more water available.

Quote Originally Posted by Realtalk View Post
    Not quite true (yes i know you're just using an example) As it stands now 25.5% subjected the 74.5% to the current President. It's why actually going out to vote matters
    Going out to vote doesn't matter when your vote has a 1 in 10 million chance of swinging an election.

I like this video. Really good song

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Damajin View Post
    Idiots don’t bitch when it’s a Democrat who wins but the second the Chosen One Queen Hillary loses an election no one except those with a brain expected her to have a chance to lose the Electoral College is fubar. Real funny kids, real funny. Let them leave, the land of Fruits and Nuts can try to make it on its’ own.
    Yeah, let us leave and watch the United States economy collapse. I'll get the popcorn.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proberly View Post
    Oh would you now? It truly is amazing how many heroic people we have wasting their time on internet.

This forum is hilarious sometimes. The debate has mutated into "California can't leave the United States, because of a river".

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Barnabas View Post
    Pssssssst.

Military Active-Duty Personnel, Civilians by State
    Numbers of U.S. military service members vary by state, driven mostly by workforce levels at large bases.

There were a total of 1.3 million active duty military and more than 800,000 reserve forces as of 2016, according to Defense Department data. Total active duty personnel for the five armed service were 471,397 for the Army, 326,276 for the Navy, 309,682 for the Air Force, 183,917 for the Marine Corps and 39,084 for the Coast Guard.

The states with the most active duty and reserve members of the military, as of May 2016, were:

California: 190,160
    Texas: 173,118
    North Carolina: 129,049
    Virginia: 117,084
    Florida: 94,288
    Georgia: 88,521
    Washington: 65,731
    New York: 50,824
    South Carolina: 50,426
    Hawaii: 49,347
    Maryland: 49,187
    The following tables list state military personnel totals for active duty, reserve and civilian employees.
    http://www.governing.com/gov-data/mi...-by-state.html
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

7+ Year Old Account
    "Applied water" includes uses such as environmental (you cant use 100% of a river's water, wetlands need water, etc).
    http://www.water.ca.gov/waterplan/do...ater_Today.pdf:Groundwater comprises 38% of all water used in California, totaling more than 16 million acre-feet.
    Are you seeing anything that says water from that Colorado was not used for "applied water"? I see, on many sources, water from the Colorado river listed as one source of many sources included in the yearly break down of water used by California. As the California Water Project has progressed, the overall % contribution of water from the Colorado river has decreased, from ~7.5% in 2001 to ~5% in 2010. Granted, the amount used has remained steady. With time, as the local initiatives and state wide initiatives complete hopefully dependency on that one source will decrease. To be honest though, I bet California will hold onto it as long as they can.

California still has plenty of works in motion working toward resolving the water shortage issues of the state. California knows, knows well, that it has a water issue and has been, for decades now, working to resolve it. I expect, in particular, the data on Page 35's table "California Water Balance by Water Year Data Table (MAF)", row "Local Projects" will increase significantly over the next decade or so due to the CA Water Plan delegating tasks to individual counties.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Starscream101 View Post
    IF someone went to those citys and said NO taxes in a METRO area or everyone in that metro area gets 1000 dollar check each week and free collage and rest of the country has got to pay for it they will vote that way and they will vote for you.
    Can you come up with an example that isn't so utterly ridiculous and also makes no sense? It doesn't help your point.

If they had it that way there would be a real civil war instead of crying like they are now.

That is why the founding fathers are smarter than most people still today.

And it is fair because it is not MoB rule. Do you want to go back to Black people being slaves because they are only 13% of the population boy LoL
    Yeah, tha's completely different. We're not talking about slavery here. Don't bust in with your false parallels.

Or I could simply say that Asian people should be able to enslave white people because they're the minority or something equally stupid.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by LolretKJ View Post
    Yeah, let us leave and watch the United States economy collapse. I'll get the popcorn.
    Times are good. "Elections has consequence." ~Barack Obama 2008

Quote Originally Posted by Pratt View Post
    Due to your vote about 40% of the population will be forever convinced that you're a racist, sexist, xenophobe. I hope that 4 years from now you still think it was worth it.
    Tell that to the black and latino voters who did vote for him.

Quote Originally Posted by stomination View Post
    Tell that to the black and latino voters who did vote for him.
    Like this guy?

Quote Originally Posted by Deathcries View Post
    Like this guy?

That's exactly how I feel. I wanted Trump to win purely because I wanted to see the rivers of tears from the democrats. I don't think anyone was prepared for the oceans they created though. I mean fuck, someone lost an election, and you're sobbing?

Further, I don't think the majority of Clinton supporters even understand how the election works... "one person, one vote"? A guy on CNN (during a protest of course) was like flabbergasted on how she lost because more people voted for her than Trump.

I can vaguely (not really, but whatever) see protests when a black gets shot and killed by a non-black, but what the hell do these people think is going to come of this?