Thread: New CPU/MOBO

New CPU/MOBO

Hi everyone,

I've had my rig for about 4-5 years now. I have recently upgraded my VGA to a GTX970 and the power supply is also newish.

The older parts are the CPU and the mobo. It is an i5 2500k not OCd and the mobo is an Intel P67.

My question is what new CPU and mobo combo is the equivalent of these nowadays?

Current rig:
    GTX970
    i5 2500k
    8GB RAM
    CS650M power supply
    Intel P67 mobo

Cheers,
    Light

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by LightBR View Post
    Hi everyone,

The older parts are the CPU and the mobo. It is an i5 2500k not OCd and the mobo is an Intel P67.

My question is what new CPU and mobo combo is the equivalent of these nowadays?
    The equivalent would probably be the i5-6600k plus a Z170 chipset for easy overclocking.
    However if you don't want to overclock you can also pick an i5-6500 with an H170.

Don't expect a huge performance gain though you're looking at maybe 10-15%.

Since the 2500Ks tend to overclock quite well overclocking your existing setup is most likely the best option if you're looking for some moderate improvements- especially if you can put the saved money to good use somewhere else (e.g. SSD).

Quote Originally Posted by lloewe View Post
    The equivalent would probably be the i5-6600k plus a Z170 chipset for easy overclocking.
    However if you don't want to overclock you can also pick an i5-6500 with an H170.

Don't expect a huge performance gain though you're looking at maybe 10-15%.

Since the 2500Ks tend to overclock quite well overclocking your existing setup is most likely the best option if you're looking for some moderate improvements- especially if you can put the saved money to good use somewhere else (e.g. SSD).
    I have never OCd my 2500k, I am not a fan of overclocking. The thing is the mobo is already giving signs that its life is about to end, one of the SATAs is not working properly, so I figured its about time to replace it, and since I`ll replace the mobo might as well get a CPU to go along with it. I don`t live in the US so a SSD is very expensive for m, I rather invest in other areas

I`ll look into the 6500-h170 combo, tks

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by LightBR View Post
    . I don`t live in the US so a SSD is very expensive for m, I rather invest in other areas
    Not sure what the prices are in your country but here I can get a decent 250GB SSD for less than half of what an i5-6600 sells for.
    Plus going from HDD to SSD is a way bigger upgrade than 15% more computing power for most cases.

It's your money obviously but still I'd suggest giving the SSD option a second look.