Page 1 of 2
LastLast

How bad is frost for mythic+?

Hey,

I rerolled to mage recently, because I was frustrated with not getting spots as a melee dps, and Time Warp seemed great for mythic+ (lost out on so many extra chests because none in group had it). I've only been max lvl for a day, but already I'm seeing that fire might not be the spec for me - it seems a bit... one-sided. At the same time, what people are saying about Arcane having to wait without doing anything at all doesn't seem appealing. Frost looks like it could be more interesting, at least the 'extend icy veins' playstyle seems fun at a glance.

While I raid, mythic+ is by far my favourite part of the game atm, so I'm very sad that frost seems to be less than ideal for it compared to fire and arcane. To what extent is this the case? I'm happy to bring a spec that is somewhat worse for AoE if I enjoy it more, but I don't wanna let the group down at the same time. And if you get the belt leg, does frost aoe get comparable to arcane/fire?

Appreciate any input.

Herald of the Titans Kuni Zyrekai's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    You're a below average AOE DPS. Compared to Fire's obscene AOE on the larger pulls, it's a bit of a let down.

The belt does nothing. Functionally reads as sometimes Blizzard does 35% more damage.

Feral level bad.

Damn :/

Thanks though

Quote Originally Posted by Kuni Zyrekai View Post
    You're a below average AOE DPS. Compared to Fire's obscene AOE on the larger pulls, it's a bit of a let down.
    Below average? More like absolute shit tier AoE DPS. You pretty much need splitting ice just to have any chance of keeping up for trash (which even then is only possible for relatively small pulls) but then your single target DPS will at best be equal to fire with burst DPS being significantly lower.

A fire mage can single handedly carry a group through big pulls even in higher Mythic+ (e.g. pulling everything up to the 1st boss in MoS on 10+) whereas a frost mage basically provides no advantages whatsoever.
    Last edited by GT4; 2016-11-13 at 12:52 PM.

Deleted
    https : //www .youtube.com/watch?v=XG2uONfX2C0 this guys seems to be able to keep up tho?

Unfortunately in a mythic+, especially at higher levels, there really isn't a good reason to play frost instead of fire. You'd just be handicapping yourself. I don't even really like frost but I'd support Blizzard actually letting the spec aoe something

Ray of Frost is cool for short bosses though
    Last edited by Erolian; 2016-11-13 at 03:58 PM.

Deleted
    Time Warp seemed great for mythic+ (lost out on so many extra chests because none in group had it) : buy drums lol

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Auryt2 View Post
    Time Warp seemed great for mythic+ (lost out on so many extra chests because none in group had it) : buy drums lol
    drums give 5% less haste, it may ruin the run if you miss 1 second for another chest

Quote Originally Posted by Furaiowy View Post
    drums give 5% less haste, it may ruin the run if you miss 1 second for another chest
    so just bring a class that does more damage than a mage and it more than makes up for it.

Quote Originally Posted by sinddk View Post
    https : //www .youtube.com/watch?v=XG2uONfX2C0 this guys seems to be able to keep up tho?
    He's not keeping up, he's the lowest DPS of his group in a really low level mythic, barely pulling above the tank on some groups.

glacial spike + splitting ice only for decent cleave, for large scale aoe blizzard does sh*t damage
    You think you do, but you don't ©
    Rogues are fine ©
    We're pretty happy with rogues ©
    Haste will fix it ©

If you run both Comet Storm and Frost Bomb it's not terrible, but again, no match for Fire. Hopefully Blizzard addresses this soon.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by sinddk View Post
    Except he's not keeping up. That and he probably outgears that firemage alt by quite a bit since he has more than 200k more hp than him.

10+ Year Old Account
    I spiked 2 million DPS as fire once on a particularly large trash pull.

Just Ignite alone out-DPS's any kind of sustained AOE/cleave that Frost has.
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

frost for M+ is more than fine and a lot better than most other specs at AoE. Just because you're not padding on non elite pulls for a zillion damage, doesnt mean your spec is bad. Frost has solid aoe and even better priority damage on mobs that need to die. I'm never far off from superior aoe classes like UH dks and DHs. Frost Bomb, SPlitting ICe, and comet storm in a rune of power is pretty huge. I rarely ever blizzard.

if you get the Arans relaxing ruby trinket, you can sort of do aoe damage as frost, it's very unreliable though and fire will still spank you

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Adudu View Post
    Except he's not keeping up. That and he probably outgears that firemage alt by quite a bit since he has more than 200k more hp than him.

I see, im still a nub so thanks for pointing it out

How does Arcane compare to frost and fire in mythic+ then??

Quote Originally Posted by noimawizard View Post
    I just wanna live in a WoW world where people stop pushing incorrect information.
    Quote Originally Posted by noimawizard View Post
    I'm never far off from superior aoe classes like ... DHs
    the irony is strong, unless you just consistently play with shitty DHs
    Last edited by Dizzeeyooo; 2016-11-15 at 12:25 PM.